~Hakurei Shrine~ > Patchouli's Scarlet Library

Aya's Writing Workshop - Bring us your story ideas and outlines!

<< < (5/100) > >>

Esifex:
It's nice to see something besides slurred drunken Suika or apathetic bitchy Reimu. Although, as mentioned, the attention given to Reimu's 'Youkai/Human' distinction is a bit odd, given that most of the people in Gensokyo that she normally associates with are Youkai to begin with. Despite this, though, it gives us a tool for looking into the psyche of Reimu and whatnot.

This could end up going somewhere, and I wanna see it when it gets there.

ふねん1:

--- Quote from: SRSifex on October 03, 2010, 07:14:38 PM ---It's nice to see something besides slurred drunken Suika or apathetic bitchy Reimu. Although, as mentioned, the attention given to Reimu's 'Youkai/Human' distinction is a bit odd, given that most of the people in Gensokyo that she normally associates with are Youkai to begin with. Despite this, though, it gives us a tool for looking into the psyche of Reimu and whatnot.
--- End quote ---
It's something that I believe is referenced only on occasion in canon, but youkai are said to think and approach things differently than humans (more sources would help though). I know SA is one example: your various youkai partners dismiss what happened with Utsuho when they find out Kanako's intentions for using her, while Reimu continues complaining about how everyone else handled the whole situation (sending her to Hell and such). The only other example I can think of right now is Alice, who according to PMiSS is "considerate towards humans and still behaves as one of them would," but only because she is young for a youkai (suggesting that her behavior is not the norm). I know it seems kind of like a loose connection all around, but I want to say it's something that isn't explored or discussed as much among fans.

In the context of my story, Suika is the oni that enjoys drinking and partying, and she comes and goes from places as she pleases. She's a (relatively) long-lived, supernatural being who would have no need to concern over things like money, just personal satisfaction (and her position as a youkai lets her get away with it). Reimu is the opposite, since she has duties toward maintaining the Great Boundary. And admit it, being confined to a building that gets really cold during the winter would not be enjoyable. Youkai are much tougher, and someone like Suika would just drink it off. I might edit how much Reimu focuses on the differences in this chapter, but it's still something that I plan to touch on throughout the story.

nolrai2:
There are also a number of places in the games where Reimu says that youkai are her foes, simply for being youkai.

日巫子:
I thought Reimu's whole "youkai=enemy" thing was pretty interesting, too, when she hangs out with them herself.  I don't think I've seen any fanworks delving into this topic, so I'll be watching this thread :3

ふねん1:
As a reminder, this thread is more of a preview to the story rather than the main topic I will update it in. Unless I feel like writing it is taking too long, I'll stick to waiting until it's finished before posting, and most likely I'll make a new topic (because no matter what it'll be a fair amount of time until the next updates). Thanks to the feedback I got so far, I now have a few ideas for how to edit this chapter. But I would certainly like some more. I know there's not much of the story to work with right now, but is there anything else I could fix? Any descriptions that could be described better? Any portions that flowed a bit awkwardly (compared to the rest)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version