Author Topic: Ran Quest Overtime: A Z-Machine Sidestory  (Read 52504 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Ran Quest Overtime: A Z-Machine Sidestory
« Reply #420 on: September 04, 2010, 11:28:42 PM »
> "That's what I don't know but am nervous about. I don't know if it has to do with the dead, but considering flowers were the sign of the LAST incident involving the dead..."
> "I know the Yama is busy but this could be very important."

>"Actually," says Komachi, "I kinda asked this before, but you didn't say much. But how come you aren't taking this to the shrine maiden?"

>_

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #421 on: September 04, 2010, 11:30:40 PM »
> "She's already told me she's not dealing with any more incidents today. She might in the future but she's...ah...kinda tired from today with the flying ship thing."
> "Of course, having this resolved as soon as possible would be a very good thing, and if the Yama can nip it in the bud, or confirm it's not her problem, then I think many of us would be relieved"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #422 on: September 04, 2010, 11:47:39 PM »
> "She's already told me she's not dealing with any more incidents today. She might in the future but she's...ah...kinda tired from today with the flying ship thing."
> "Of course, having this resolved as soon as possible would be a very good thing, and if the Yama can nip it in the bud, or confirm it's not her problem, then I think many of us would be relieved"

>"I dunno," says Komachi. "Might be a bit much to bother the Yama about it..." She frowns, looking at the picture.

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #423 on: September 04, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
> "It might be, sure. But if it IS something, well...do you REALLY want to deal with the Yama knowing you had some advance warning? I think it'd be better to be safe than sorry. If it turns out to be a false alarm, I doubt she'll be that irritated with you...but if it's real and you call her, she'll certainly be grateful...and if it's real and you don't call her...I can't imagine she'd like that."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #424 on: September 05, 2010, 12:10:35 AM »
> "It might be, sure. But if it IS something, well...do you REALLY want to deal with the Yama knowing you had some advance warning? I think it'd be better to be safe than sorry. If it turns out to be a false alarm, I doubt she'll be that irritated with you...but if it's real and you call her, she'll certainly be grateful...and if it's real and you don't call her...I can't imagine she'd like that."

>Komachi frowns. "Yeah...maybe you have a point. Give me a minute."
>She reaches into a pocket and pulls out a small disk, about the size of a coin. "She clutches it tightly in her hand, then says, "Shiki, it's me. Um, we might have a situation. Can you come down here and have a look at it?"
>She is quiet for a moment, then puts the disk away. "She'll be here in a minute."

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #425 on: September 05, 2010, 12:13:10 AM »
> "Thanks. Admittedly, I hope it's something because I'm taking the Yama's time but...I also kinda hope it's nothing because I really don't want there to be another incident..."
> Wait for the Yama.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #426 on: September 05, 2010, 12:32:07 AM »
> "Thanks. Admittedly, I hope it's something because I'm taking the Yama's time but...I also kinda hope it's nothing because I really don't want there to be another incident..."
> Wait for the Yama.

>Komachi nods, and says, "Well, you seem pretty concerned, and I guess this could be a big deal. So it's not a problem to take up the Yama's time for it."
>In the distance, you can see a lone figure approaching from the north.

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #427 on: September 05, 2010, 12:34:38 AM »
> Continue waiting
> Assume Aya is ready to spring into action when the time comes.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #428 on: September 05, 2010, 12:55:59 AM »
> Continue waiting
> Assume Aya is ready to spring into action when the time comes.

>You wait as the figure approaches.
>Soon, she lands in front of you, hovering beside Komachi. With her green hair, blue tabard over a black and white dress, and crown-like hat, there is no doubt she is a part of the celestial bureaucracy. The rod she cares in her left hand leaves no doubt of her position.
>"There is a problem?" asks Shikieiki, looking to Komachi, after glancing at you.
>"Best let her explain it," says Komachi, gesturing toward you.

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #429 on: September 05, 2010, 01:05:49 AM »
> "Um...well...basically, I was on my way here to ask about this new person who's arrived in Gensokyo and ask you to do a karma check on her...but then I passed these strange flowers, and I noticed that she and they had a similar glow. Well, I hastened here to talk to Komachi about it, and she wanted more evidence. So I went back, and then realized that Aya would probably be all over this if there was any connection. So I visited her, and she actually had already taken pictures. I...managed to acquire a set..."
> Shudder again
> "...and bring them to Komachi. It perhaps might be nothing or a coincidence...I mean, Aya isn't exactly the best source, but I don't think this should be ignored...and calling you over to make sure things are copacetic is a lot better than doing nothing and it turning out to be a preventable incident. I called you over Reimu partially because Reimu's already handled an incident today and really wasn't hearing about anything else, and partially because I remember the flower incident from awhile back involved you so I figured you'd be good to call over."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #430 on: September 05, 2010, 01:15:58 AM »
> "Um...well...basically, I was on my way here to ask about this new person who's arrived in Gensokyo and ask you to do a karma check on her...but then I passed these strange flowers, and I noticed that she and they had a similar glow. Well, I hastened here to talk to Komachi about it, and she wanted more evidence. So I went back, and then realized that Aya would probably be all over this if there was any connection. So I visited her, and she actually had already taken pictures. I...managed to acquire a set..."
> Shudder again
> "...and bring them to Komachi. It perhaps might be nothing or a coincidence...I mean, Aya isn't exactly the best source, but I don't think this should be ignored...and calling you over to make sure things are copacetic is a lot better than doing nothing and it turning out to be a preventable incident. I called you over Reimu partially because Reimu's already handled an incident today and really wasn't hearing about anything else, and partially because I remember the flower incident from awhile back involved you so I figured you'd be good to call over."

>Shikieiki listens to you. Then she says, "That was an interesting story, Ran."

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #431 on: September 05, 2010, 01:18:55 AM »
> Look confused if her tone implied she didn't believe us
> "Um...so you'll check it out?"
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:22:23 AM by UncertainKitten »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #432 on: September 05, 2010, 01:30:05 AM »
> Look confused if her tone implied she didn't believe us
> "Um...so you'll check it out?"

>"There are some elements of truth to it, Ran," says the Yama, frowning slightly, "But don't you think you may be going too far in trying to serve your master? Endangering innocents, angering the flower youkai? Is this really have you think peope should behave?"

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #433 on: September 05, 2010, 01:36:03 AM »
> "...well, she IS my master. And at least I fought Yuka instead of just cutting and running and leaving the other two to deal with it."
> Sigh
> "Fine, I'll go, sorry for wasting your time."
> Fly off, but hope Aya comes out and catches the Yama in time.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #434 on: September 05, 2010, 01:40:50 AM »
> Turn around
> "You know what? I've come this far. You seem to be on top of things. So, one card each. May the best girl win."
> Declare Shikigami: Wizard Fox Thoughts

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #435 on: September 05, 2010, 01:41:29 AM »
> "Komachi, please don't interfere, I'll explain after this, and I'm sorry for getting you tangled up in this stupid business."

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #436 on: September 05, 2010, 01:46:32 AM »
To everyone watching, by which I mean no one, I feel SO BAD for this. Like, for serious, I don't think it's WORTH it, but, I think that one SHOULD try their best to reach a given objective...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #437 on: September 05, 2010, 01:50:22 AM »
> "...well, she IS my master. And at least I fought Yuka instead of just cutting and running and leaving the other two to deal with it."
> Sigh
> "Fine, I'll go, sorry for wasting your time."
> Fly off, but hope Aya comes out and catches the Yama in time.

>"Do you really think that alone would make things better?" Shikieiki asks. "If I were have judged you now, with the weight that rests on you from the things you have done in Yukari's name, not just this but others as well, do you believe I could truly let you pass on to a favorable afterlife?"

> Turn around
> "You know what? I've come this far. You seem to be on top of things. So, one card each. May the best girl win."
> Declare Shikigami: Wizard Fox Thoughts

>Shikieiki nods. "Let us see if you can learn anything from this."
>Suddenly the world around you explodes into rods of judgment, while your card is readies itself to fire!

> "Komachi, please don't interfere, I'll explain after this, and I'm sorry for getting you tangled up in this stupid business."

>You cannot see Komachi for all the danmaku in the air!

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #438 on: September 05, 2010, 01:53:03 AM »
> What's the pattern look like?
> Sight read as best I can for now, dodging in any available gaps as our card readies
> "How about YOU try being her shikigami awhile and then tell me how I should be judged!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #439 on: September 05, 2010, 01:58:22 AM »
> What's the pattern look like?
> Sight read as best I can for now, dodging in any available gaps as our card readies
> "How about YOU try being her shikigami awhile and then tell me how I should be judged!"

>You don't know!
>You try to sight read it, but it is like looking too hard into one of Yukari's gaps. All you can really discerns is that there's wooden rods coming for you!
>"I am well aware," says Shikieiki, barely visible beyond the terrible swarm.

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #440 on: September 05, 2010, 02:02:14 AM »
> "You might know, but I doubt you're aware."
> Fly up if possible and try to dodge the rods coming at us, being mindful of rods around us in all directions.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #441 on: September 05, 2010, 02:04:03 AM »
> Also, call out for Aya. No point being sneaky now.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #442 on: September 05, 2010, 02:07:41 AM »
> Also, are we able to declare our card at all?
> And if not, fire some normal danmaku at Shiki.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #443 on: September 05, 2010, 02:11:18 AM »
> "You might know, but I doubt you're aware."
> Fly up if possible and try to dodge the rods coming at us, being mindful of rods around us in all directions.

>"Am I not?" Shikieiki replies.
>You fly up, and find you would have to do some fancy maneuvering to get very high.

> Also, call out for Aya. No point being sneaky now.

>You shout for Aya. You don't know if she heard you, but you can't imagine she's missed this.

> Also, are we able to declare our card at all?
> And if not, fire some normal danmaku at Shiki.

>You were. It's still waiting for you to fire.

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #444 on: September 05, 2010, 02:13:55 AM »
> Oh, awesome, fire it then.
> Take stock of our surroundings again
> Where are the rods going?
> Dodge as best we can, possibly backwards a little if it's safe
> "You can quite easily see without observing, my dear Yama!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #445 on: September 05, 2010, 02:25:39 AM »
> Oh, awesome, fire it then.
> Take stock of our surroundings again
> Where are the rods going?
> Dodge as best we can, possibly backwards a little if it's safe
> "You can quite easily see without observing, my dear Yama!"

>You invoke your card and fire a lone bubble shot through the hail of danmaku, and quickly lose track of it. You hear it explode, and see some green shots of yours amidst the Yama's storm of bullets.
>You can't see your surroundings very well, but you are in a field with some gentle hills.
>The seem to be mostly heading in your general direction, some crisscrossing and interlacing, others diverging. It's too much to read reliably for any length of time.
>You are dodging as well as you can, but the barrage is getting to be too much.
>"I do not believe you thought that out very well, Ran," comes the Yama's voice, to the left.

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #446 on: September 05, 2010, 02:28:56 AM »
> How much can we fire with this card?
> "Heh, maybe you're onto something and my conscience wants to lose"
> If they are heading for us, then we probably want to keep moving, taking care not to slam into another bullet. Try to feint a dive and then pull back up safely, going away from the Yama
> Fire as many bullets as we can around the Yama.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #447 on: September 05, 2010, 02:38:18 AM »
> How much can we fire with this card?
> "Heh, maybe you're onto something and my conscience wants to lose"
> If they are heading for us, then we probably want to keep moving, taking care not to slam into another bullet. Try to feint a dive and then pull back up safely, going away from the Yama
> Fire as many bullets as we can around the Yama.

>One shot every couple of seconds; but the amount created by the shot exploding is considerable.
>"Perhaps it is so," says Shikieiki, coming from the left. "Despite the things you're willing to do in your master's name, you are not without hope."
>You try to feint a dive, and find you simply don't have room for it if you want to move at any kind of speed.
>You fire toward the Yama's voice, and have no idea how well it works.
>A rod clips your left ear.

>_

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #448 on: September 05, 2010, 02:41:06 AM »
> "Surprised to hear you willing to admit that my case isn't hopeless."
> "Then again, you also gave Jeff K. Anon a free pass so..."
> Let's fire in a circle around us and keep ourselves moving around the bullets, but very precisely. Make small movements except when it seems like a gap is clearing up temporarily. Then go for it and chain to any other gaps I can find.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #449 on: September 05, 2010, 02:47:20 AM »
> "Surprised to hear you willing to admit that my case isn't hopeless."
> "Then again, you also gave Jeff K. Anon a free pass so..."
> Let's fire in a circle around us and keep ourselves moving around the bullets, but very precisely. Make small movements except when it seems like a gap is clearing up temporarily. Then go for it and chain to any other gaps I can find.

>"I have no reason to deceive you," Shiki replies.
>"That hasn't happen yet."
>You begin to fire in a circle around you, a shot every few seconds, trying to move as little as possible. You find this serves you...reasonably well, but another one strikes one of your tails. You have no idea how well your attacks are doing. But it is getting more and more crowded.

>_