Author Topic: Yukari and Yuyuko  (Read 24043 times)

Wordspoken

• Death Moe
Yukari and Yuyuko
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:23:05 PM »
Yukari and Yuyuko are very close friends. There is an interestingly deep bond between them, don't you think?

What do we know about Yuyuko? She's dead (duh) and was alive a long time ago. She doesn't seem to recall much about it and acts like another person nowadays. That much we know.

What about Yukari? She has been around for a long time and definitely knew Yuyuko, when she was alive. Also, it was canonically hinted that "Yakumo" isn't her real name (in CoLA), but something she chose herself. This leaves open a lot of speculation, what her real surname is. Saigyoji perhaps?

My theory runs as this: Yuyuko and Yukari are actually sisters. Canon doesn't deny this possibility, even paving the way for it. It makes sense and explains a lot of things about their relationship.

I can't believe I haven't run into any doujin that would use this idea.

ps. Please note that I am presenting this idea more as a food for thought, than a given fact. Only ZUN can make those.
This voice...sounds like a drunken loli. Is that you, Suika?

Herasy

Re: Yukari and Yuyuko
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 01:46:50 PM »
Also, it was canonically hinted that "Yakumo" isn't her real name (in CoLA), but something she chose herself.

What chapter? I don't ever recall that.

My own theory on Yukari was that she was actually closely related to the Hakurei bloodline, I got the idea when she was training Reimu to summon the powers of other gods in SSiB. I always wondered how she happened to know what Reimu was capable of and could also teach her how to perform it.

Unless of course I'm missing something and there happens to be a simple explanation for all that  :-X

Mima

• Permabanned
  • By Benny1
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:37:04 PM »
My thoughts on Yukari are covered in the RiG series.

Spoilers

Yukari is Murasaki Hakurei, the shrine maiden who first created Gensokyo and became a youkai to watch over the world and ensure peace.

WRATHIE_Beatrice

• soujiko x yousuke is my otp
  • I will repeat it, in RED
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
yes we noe.. >3

Defiant of Shrine Maiden Ver. 2

Wordspoken

• Death Moe
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 05:14:02 PM »
What chapter? I don't ever recall that.

My own theory on Yukari was that she was actually closely related to the Hakurei bloodline, I got the idea when she was training Reimu to summon the powers of other gods in SSiB. I always wondered how she happened to know what Reimu was capable of and could also teach her how to perform it.

Unless of course I'm missing something and there happens to be a simple explanation for all that  :-X
Based on this.
This voice...sounds like a drunken loli. Is that you, Suika?

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 05:23:58 PM »
Yukari and Yuyuko are very close friends. There is an interestingly deep bond between them, don't you think?

What do we know about Yuyuko? She's dead (duh) and was alive a long time ago. She doesn't seem to recall much about it and acts like another person nowadays. That much we know.

What about Yukari? She has been around for a long time and definitely knew Yuyuko, when she was alive. Also, it was canonically hinted that "Yakumo" isn't her real name (in CoLA), but something she chose herself. This leaves open a lot of speculation, what her real surname is. Saigyoji perhaps?

My theory runs as this: Yuyuko and Yukari are actually sisters. Canon doesn't deny this possibility, even paving the way for it. It makes sense and explains a lot of things about their relationship.

I can't believe I haven't run into any doujin that would use this idea.

ps. Please note that I am presenting this idea more as a food for thought, than a given fact. Only ZUN can make those.
I guess that makes Yukari the younger sister...

Does this mean Kanako and Suwako are siblings as well!?!

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »
I saw something about keeping Shrine Maidens in Gensokyo. I guess we can expect more of them after Sanae.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 10:24:35 PM »
I doubt Yukari and Yuyuko are sisters, partially because I think Yukari is waaaaayyyyy older than Yuyuko(also, it would make very little sense, actually). She also predates the creation of Gensokyo by a lot but I doubt the Hakurei people could've done it without her help. Being arrogant and "almighty" as Yukari is, I think she'd change her name just for the sake of having it symbolise her own power and will, as opposed to heritage from a possibly forgotten family. The name itself carries HER legacy now (and is passed unto Ran, for instance).

I also doubt Yukari is one to "watch over the world and ensure peace". She's pretty much a fickle and irresponsibly wench who happens to have unreasonable amounts of power. It's clear how "responsible and watchful" she is straight from her appearance on PCB.

Yuyuko suddenly decides she wants to make the Saigyou Ayakashi bloom and asks Yukari to help her. Yukari knows the shitstorm is gonna be epic, but pretty much all she does is ask "You sure?" "Yeah, I'm sure. Can you help me?" "Hm, okay." And sorta just like that she almost erases the barrier between Hakugyokurou and Gensokyou so can Youmu can go and steal all the spring. The thing ends and Yukari wasn't even there to see what was going to happen in the end. Something like a month later yuyuko goes after Reimu and Marisa (by this time I guess Sakuya's involvement on the matter has probably ended) and tells them that Yukari fucked up the boundary but that now she needed it back up again unless things started turning BAAAAADDD on everyone. The problem was that Yukari never showed up and Yuyuko couldn't reach her. So M&R go and find Ran, that wants revenge for the two of them beating up Chen. They defeat Ran expecting Yukari to pop out and go defend her servant but nothing happens. "Hmm.. You're like in danger of dying here. Where the hell's your master?" "She's sleeping..." "Sleeping?" "Yeah... And it'll take more than this to get her out of bed this early... If you want to see her, you better come in the dead of the night, she MIGHT be awake then".
And so Marisa and Reimu DO come back in the dead of the night and fend off Ran again. Yukari finally shows up and, being bored to tears as she is, decides to throw some danmaku at the two heroines and see what comes out of it. They manage to defend against her and then Yukari asks: "Yay, so, what you two doing here anyway?" "Well, Yuyuko says you've got to fix the border now or shit's gonna get nasty." "Ah, she's done with that tree then? Good. Okay then, I'll fix it."

JUST LIKE THAT!

So, yeah,  watches over the world and completely is not just trying to troll everyone.

Gensokyou is pretty much lucky she doesn't want to cause havoc. If she wanted to tear down the boundary between the living and the dead, open up the gates of hell (and even Makai, for that reason) and collapse the Hakurei Border, there wouldn't be anyone capable of stopping her, at least not until the damage was irreversible. The way I see it the only reason she protects Gensokyou is because is a nice place and her friends like to live there.
rofl bye

ark7

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 11:49:14 PM »

Though I like OP's theory, I don't think they'd be sisters. To Yukari, I think Yuyuko would be more like the sort of friend you meet only once in a lifetime (and Yukari's lifetime is VERY big). Like when you meet one of those rare persons that can really understald you.

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 01:14:11 AM »
Yukari might be Yuyuko's close friend when Yuyuko still young (and alive).

Drake

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 01:54:38 AM »
I rather like the Maribel theory. Yuyuko could also be a figment of Maribel's dead sister.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 06:40:05 PM »
I rather like the Maribel theory. Yuyuko could also be a figment of Maribel's dead sister.
That's like taking something bad (maribel = yukari) and making it worse (dragging yuyuko into this)

Some people just have no mercy u.u
rofl bye

ark7

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 07:29:49 PM »

I am with Lasagna again.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 11:05:50 PM »
Maribel has a dead sister?

Drake

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 11:08:24 PM »
No. Just wackjob Drake.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 01:45:31 AM »
What I plan to include

Fact: there is no real age for Yukari
Fact: there is a real age for Yuyuko (approx...1200?)

Yukari = Yuyuko's mom from another period in time.

Or at least... helped delivered Yuyuko as a wet nurse.

(RAGE ENSUES NOW)
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

LordVant

• I'm a strange type of crazy...the one you love and fear
  • Do not challenge the gateguard
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 02:45:48 AM »
In SDV there's the scene where Yukari and Yuyuko are talking about Yukari possibly burying Yuyuko's body under the Saigyou Ayakashi even though Yukari doesn't want to. Of course this is probably because Yukari knows it'll screw with Yuyuko's head and cause her to be so freakin forgetful (and maybe glutonous too). Yukari definitely knows more than anyone else, but then again. She IS the Youkai of borders. So it would be easy for her to get into people's heads and learn stuff. Really it seems like she's just waiting for something to happen. She's always bored regardless of the situation. The only time she ever got kinda serious was in SA when she spoke through Reimu's orbs. She sounded pissed about the gateway opening to the Underground. Anyway I'm just waiting on ZUN for some info on her.

FIGHT!

shinyjam

• Permabanned by TheStupidOne
  • I am a complete asshat!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 03:09:25 AM »
So it would be easy for her to get into people's heads and learn stuff.
I wonder why she didn't like...do something about her memory inside her head. She certainly seem capable if creative enough...

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 03:12:34 AM »
I have no idea what SDV is supposed to stand for.

Drake

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 03:21:42 AM »
Seasonal Dream Vision.

stargroup

• Insufferable Faggot
  • Telling a mod to basically fuck off... GOOD IDEA!
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2009, 07:53:58 AM »
well theoretically if she could manipulate borders, wouldn't she be the omnipotent power of gensokyo?

I think mima's theory is very possible

ark7

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 07:42:31 PM »
well theoretically if she could manipulate borders, wouldn't she be the omnipotent power of gensokyo?

Hmmm... Gensokyo is too diverse to say that with 100% accuracy. Who know what sort of ancient youkai/god/whatever lies sleeping/hidden/imprisoned. Basides, I really don't like to think there is a "strongest being of Gensokyo". In my opinion there is a certain power level after which it no longer makes a difference who is more powerful, each side will have about 50% chance of defeating the other.

Edit: It's like a logarithmic progression where further increments yield increasingly less significan increases.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 07:44:41 PM by ark7 »

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 07:45:27 PM »
Hmmm... Gensokyo is too diverse to say that with 100% accuracy. Who know what sort of ancient youkai/god/whatever lies sleeping/hidden/imprisoned. Basides, I really don't like to think there is a "strongest being of Gensokyo". In my opinion there is a certain power level after which it no longer makes a difference who is more powerful, each side will have about 50% chance of defeating the other.

Except with Yukari the problem is if she decides to be a bad loser she can pretty much fuck EVERYTHING up just like that but, oh, hey! That's why we have Danmaku battles! Zun's half-arsed excuse so he can make his characters as bloody broken as he wants and not really have to care about mundane things like coherence and balance....
rofl bye

ark7

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 07:50:59 PM »
Except with Yukari the problem is if she decides to be a bad loser she can pretty much fuck EVERYTHING up just like that but, oh, hey! That's why we have Danmaku battles! Zun's half-arsed excuse so he can make his characters as bloody broken as he wants and not really have to care about mundane things like coherence and balance....

And when did you ever see coherence and balance in the real world? Okay, okay, I know that just because the real world is f*** up that doesn't mean imaginary worlds have to be as well, but hey, give Zun a rest, he lives in the real world as well (probably anyway).

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
rofl bye