Author Topic: Avengers & X-Men united - Disney buys most of Fox's assets for $52.4 billion  (Read 11752 times)

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
With the exception of Fox's news and national sports wings, Disney will be buying all of Fox's TV and movie assets for $52.4 billion.  This includes Disney taking in all debt's Fox currently has, which makes the deal worth over $66 billion.

Disney will scoop up Fox's movie and television studios, regional sports network and international holdings, among other investments.

The move adds to Disney's back catalogue high-grossing films such as the original Star Wars movies, the Marvel superhero pictures, Avatar and Deadpool, as well as TV hits such as Modern Family and The Simpsons.

The Star Wars franchise will fall under one roof if the merger is completed

It expands Disney's offerings with the FX and National Geographic cable channels, and Fox's regional sports network in the US.
The purchase also extends Disney's global reach, adding media company Star India and Fox's interests in Sky plc and Tata Sky to its portfolio.

Disney will also get majority control of the video streaming service Hulu, which is also partially owned by Comcast and Time Warner.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42353545

The only Marvel movie rights Disney will not own as a result of this deal is Spider-Man (held by Sony), though some characters are entangled on various movies rights, such as Namor and stand-alone Hulk films.

commandercool

• alter cool
I'm kind of weirded out by the idea of "Disney's The Simpsons".

I'm honestly surprised they ended up with the Deadpool rights. I'm no Deadpool fan particularly, but there's no denying that it's a hot franchise and is entirely off-brand for Disney. I'll be curious to see what happens to it after the second movie comes out. I think it's fair to say that the Deadpool saturation bubble has burst, but I gotta image it's still a hot property that has a future after the second movie, at least in theory.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Hank Hill in KH3.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
There's a Sony-Disney deal anyways regarding Spiderman. (Sony gets profits from solo movies, Marvel gets money from coops like Avengers, both of them work on the movies.)
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
is anyone else unnerved by the prospect of disney owning fucking everything

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry

Peggy Hill having big feets will be relevant!

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
Shareholders of 21st Century Fox and Disney have voted to approve Disney?s buyout of major Fox assets.

But, thanks to an attempted counter-offer by Comcast to buy Fox's assets, the buyout was increased to $71.3 billion.

The Justice Department has already approved the purchase on the condition that Disney sells off Fox?s 22 regional sports networks within 90 days of closing.  Disney still needs to get the approval from a handful of foreign governments, but otherwise, the deal is all but officially done.

is anyone else unnerved by the prospect of disney owning fucking everything
I?m slightly more unnerved by Fox News now having tens of billions more dollars.