Author Topic: [Art] Shadowlupus's Art  (Read 2523 times)

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
[Art] Shadowlupus's Art
« on: July 26, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
Hi, I'm Shadowlupus, a.k.a Kageshirou.

This is not my first time ever of drawing anime stuffs. I've actually done it 2 years ago, I think, drawing several pics of Parsee (my fav char until Kagerou) and thought that all of them was meh. I thought that it was as far as I can go in terms of drawing. I thought I can't do it like veteran Japanese artists so I quitted it altogether.

Now in 2017, something came to my mind that I want to return to drawing again so, in the past two weeks, I've been practicing drawing Kagerou, with various expressions, and poses. They are sometime successful and sometime failed arts but I've never given up until I've drawn something that I've personally thought it to be the most closely drawn to anime style. Most of my hand-drawn arts (I think I've drawn for about 30 or so) are lacking in detail like frills on clothes, etc. for the sake of drawing the most pictures in a single day. Then, I was finally able to do it. I was extremely delight to see my fruit of labor and perseverance turn into an accomplishment.

Anyway, that is how I came to this thread. Here is my first time ever full-fledged digital drawing of Kagerou. This was drawn today. Please tell me what you think and on what I should improve, etc. I personally think I have no idea how shadow outline works.

Kagerou Imaizumi - Digital Artwork

This is time-consuming than I've ever thought, 6 hours straight, half of which is just from drawing in black n' white. Admittedly it was the curtsey pose, frills, and shadow outline that took the most of my time. I guess that's obvious from being a beginner.

Anyway, I'll use this place to post my drawings of Kagerou (and possibly rarely other characters) both digitally and hand-drawn. Yeah, I intend to draw her detailed artwork in various poses, expressions before moving on to other characters. I think drawing the latter now will worsen my skill and possibly confidence as well if it comes out bad.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 02:10:45 PM by Shadowlupus »

Aoshi-shi

• Back at it again in the Land of Origin
  • maior e longinquo reverentia
Re: [Art] Shadowlupus's Art
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 02:53:09 AM »
Hey there! How's it going?

It's pretty good as a first time digital drawing! I feel like she's inviting me for a midnight waltz. I'm not particularly eloquent when it comes to giving critique/advice, but I hope what I say can be of use to you:

I personally think I have no idea how shadow outline works.

Lighting and shadows can be a little tricky, as it draws from your knowledge of 3d objects (such as anatomy, the shape/type of fabric, etc) and how they interact in the environment of your drawing. If you're shaky on that subject, it's going to show in your art. I'd recommend brushing up on how 3d objects cast shadows depending on different lighting conditions. You can break down the human figure into basic, primal shapes and use that knowledge to cast those objects in shadows!

For your drawing, I believe your light source is coming from the top left, correct? Her sleeves and ribbon give off a good indication, but that info is a little lost at the bottom of her dress due to a ton of shadows placed there.

This is time-consuming than I've ever thought, 6 hours straight, half of which is just from drawing in black n' white. Admittedly it was the curtsey pose, frills, and shadow outline that took the most of my time. I guess that's obvious from being a beginner.

Anyway, I'll use this place to post my drawings of Kagerou (and possibly rarely other characters) both digitally and hand-drawn. Yeah, I intend to draw her detailed artwork in various poses, expressions before moving on to other characters. I think drawing the latter now will worsen my skill and possibly confidence as well if it comes out bad.

Speed comes with time! You sound like you have an incredibly good work ethic, so I encourage you to please keep up the good work!!!

Also don't worry if drawings come out bad; we all have those moments. Either find the time to explore what isn't working for that particular drawing, or spend that time creating something entirely new.
Art Thread -->
Well gee, I have a Tumblr now.  | Twitter
 What a nice day to complain about mobage!
 |PADherder

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
Re: [Art] Shadowlupus's Art
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!

When I look at arts drawn by others on Pixiv or Danbooru, sometimes I see that the shadow doesn't follow the reflection rule and just go wherever the artists want so I was confused. That's why I just go random under her skirt since light doesn't pass through there.

Anyway, I'm back with another piece of artwork! This time I've learnt to use shade and draw some background. Now, I think it looks even more closer to Japanese style.

I also find out the fact that using a different type of pen also affect my drawing as well. Here, compare between this one and this one. I see that the 2nd one (fine pen) looks rather coarse even though I can see every outline clearly! The first one (ball pen), however, is better even thought not everything is highlighted! This fact took me half a day to realize what went wrong; Why doesn't it look like the Japanese style at all?

http://shadowylupus.deviantart.com/art/Raaaaaaawr-695704460

http://imgur.com/a/HzBQ7 (Don't mind the background differences. I was experimenting.)

Since I think I've got the basic done, next time I'll post a bunch of pics instead of just one by one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:50:03 AM by Shadowlupus »