Author Topic: Ido thread: 東方真珠島 ~ Hollow Song of Birds  (Read 100012 times)

PyuDi

• daily touhou~
  • danmakufu!
Re: Ido thread: 東方真珠島 ~ Hollow Song of Birds
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2019, 06:13:01 AM »
found some luck-based strategy (?)

information

« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2019, 04:45:08 PM »
So HSoB... oh boi...
Guess there's no longer a point to leave everything behind spoilers? Seriously if you want to play the game already, go for it, it's good, appearently extra stage is coming in spring.

tl;dr this is both one of the easiest and the hardest experiences you will have in a Touhou game. Easiest, because anyone can 1cc this game, even on Lunatic, heck I did it by accident. However it's mainly due to the system of this game. As some people already put it, the patterns themselves get pretty intense around stage 5-6. Stage 5 boss, actually has a lot of amazing and hard gimmicks (Boulders, sandstorm circles) that go unused unless you do Lunatic. Even on Lunatic there are two spells you just might never encounter (Mystia's and Nebet's LW and Horou's LW), alternate Stage 6 route gimmick and to top it all off, the game looks gorgeous, as Mino put it "it feels like I'm watching a movie"?.

However that still has few downsides. While pleasing at first time for many, on repeated playthrough the eye candy can become an eye sore for some and there's just so many things this game throws at you and honestly... not everything works.  The best example of it are many many different sub shots this game has. 9 gems for 4 characters? Does that mean we have 36 different sub shots?! Nah, not really. Most people will just use ReimuRed or ReimuYellow, homing really helps in this game and so is increased damage. PurpleSakuya's pretty good and Marisa has a couple of good options, but Kaguya seems to only work with Green/Jade ... and she's not even that good with it. Orange got nerfed to bits, which is kind of a shame, Black is still there for a challenge and Cyan/Blue/White are just there (Horou cannot switch your gems if you use Black/White I guess, Orange spell doesn't even seem to use the colour change, I guess it was changed last minute after the orange nerf?).

However boosting/balancing other gems and Kaguya for the extra stage patch will probably resolve most of these issues. Other than that I don't really have any. I really genuinely like this game and I kind of want to play it more, even if it gets tiring often. The stage design is excellent, they even made stage 3 more interesting and I think bosses aren't too far off. I know there are people still iffy on Horou and her design (I do like the concept of stage 1 boss becoming a final boss just because she got OP artifacts and because she has a dumb, but wholesome plan) and I guess either Shiran or Set could've been better final bosses? But again, I feel like Horou being final boss was intentional for trolling and presumably trying something different for once. I'd still say Ranran is probably my favorite character and design? She just... idk feels iconic to me, while everyone else is colourful and deep, it still feels like I need to read their lore to fully appreciate them.

Music wise it's also excellent. Feels like a true comeback of Wanwan to me after RSS (Trifocuser's music had some great pieces, but it overall felt like snoozefest to me). I don't think they're all neccesarily eargasmic (?), but I did find some favorites. Like holy cow, "Sinful Rampage" has no business sounding this good. He also got much better guitar samples, though I seem to be alone at thinking that they really added a lot to the themes like the Stage 6 theme.

Again, it just feels like devs are trying to outdo themselves instead of progressing or evolving, which is good, but it makes me wonder when they're going to reach their limit.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:19:33 PM by Popcioslav »
No.

ChronaSE

• Doremy-rekt
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2019, 05:10:13 PM »
Kaguya shots are so weak it takes forever to kill even fairies, thankfully we have orange gem to fix that.

« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2019, 10:40:57 PM »
With the game being about social media I really love how Horou fits into that. Makes me think of those internet celebrities who are really just little kids offline.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2019, 11:29:23 AM »
I absolutely love how the Emerald Tablet that Set gave to Horou is an actual tablet and that's the reason why the birds are using social media...

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2019, 02:48:06 PM »
Just found out that in stage 6 there's actually a really well hidden "center" route: After the route splits to either left or right, there's a hole on the opposite side that can lead you back to a center segment halfway if you hug the wall (or at least stay very close it? Not sure how much allowance you have). This is a video of that segment. E: Tested it a few more times, and it seems like you have to be approximately within two "beams" closest to that wall or you won't get in.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 03:02:05 PM by RegalStar »

« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »
I just really like this game. It's very detailed. It also evolved nicely from the demo, sad to see orange gem nerfed though.
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2019, 04:44:51 PM »
No.

« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2019, 07:07:31 PM »

shoot damage rankings :
Spoiler:
Kaguya:
yellow(point blank) > red(point blank) = blue(碧)(point blank)  > yellow (close) > red(close)

Marisa+green (unfocused) = Sakuya+red (close)= Sakuya+aqua(瑞)(close)> Marisa + auqa  = Sakuya+purple (close) > Marisa+red = Marisa+yellow
>Sakuya+purple > Sakuya+aqua > Sakuya+yellow = Sakuya+red

no bracket means shooting at the very bottom.

Spoiler:
Reimu: W....wait!

Horou's wings have a large hitbox for Sakuya and ().

Aqua shoots deal 2.5 times of basic shot power and benefit from bullet quantity. Sakuya gets a lot for that, contrarily Reimu has a bad time.

:ohdear: btw could anyone helps me about how the freeze works? all scripts are in the folder [script\th_hsob\player\hsob\lib]

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2019, 10:28:12 AM »
https://youtu.be/2vcO5H4U78I

Normal Stage 6 NN with SakuyaPurple. I wrote comments detailing my strategies for every single section.

Also got a ReimuRed and KaguyaCyan Lunatic 1cc and Normal MarisaBlack NB, working on getting the 20b extend on Lunatic.
Lunatic 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2019, 05:50:42 AM »

Nyan

☆ Kana ☆

• Vanishing Dream
  • Lost Dream
    • lololololo tungle
« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2019, 12:22:41 AM »

Nyan

omg...I love all the little easter eggs in this game  :]
Dream a dream so grand...that it becomes a nightmare.

« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2019, 12:46:38 AM »
I just noticed that Shiran has something written on her Phone's screen during her spellcard cutin.  Anyone has any idea of what's written in it?  I'm a bit curious. 

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2019, 01:37:42 PM »
I just noticed that Shiran has something written on her Phone's screen during her spellcard cutin.  Anyone has any idea of what's written in it?  I'm a bit curious.

もんぐよぬはもい (happy birthday)? It's kinda hard to tell.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2019, 05:27:57 PM »
I'm getting a super weird issue where any sort of cut-in on screen causes parts of the screen to flash violently.

I have the compatibility mode in Windows for it set to Windows 7, and it seems to have lessened it to the point that it's playable.

I have a Intel i7, Nvidia gtx 1050, and Windows 10.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2019, 02:51:44 AM »
1.01 was released. Lots of bugfixes apparently.

Hopefully and English patch isn't too far off. Most of the story and prompts are now translated on the Touhou wiki.

« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2019, 04:39:09 PM »
1.01 was released. Lots of bugfixes apparently.

Hopefully and English patch isn't too far off. Most of the story and prompts are now translated on the Touhou wiki.
Additionally, the soundtrack has been made available on Bandcamp. Instabuy for me.

edit: ah, it's been said already. my bad.
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2019, 06:00:49 AM »
もんぐよぬはもい (happy birthday)? It's kinda hard to tell.
しんじゃほしい (信者欲しい / "more converts plz")

« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2019, 06:32:11 AM »
Quote from: gilde
しんじゃほしい (信者欲しい / "more converts plz")

Okay that made me laugh for a good whole minute.  Thanks Gilde! <3

As a side note, the profiles for the new characters have been translated in the touhou wiki.  Seems that Set fled after the incident and Horou took all of the scolding.  I wonder if that means that Set will show up as the ex midboss
Spoiler:
or maybe even the de-possessed Seto-taisho that Set's been controlling during the game?

« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »
Given this group's track record I almost feel like it's pointless to speculate on the extra boss. I mean... Elfin, Riko, and Kiyohime were all totally out of left field. Yato and Sanada were more thematically appropriate but they specifically didn't really have any hints prior to their release.

I wouldn't be surprised if the extra boss had nothing to do with any of the plot points in the game.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.

« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2019, 05:13:59 PM »
True, it feels like the story wrapped up nicely with no hints of some post-incident-incident occurring.  Maybe the Ex boss will be someone who was somehow affected by all of the time-shenanigans?

Or maybe another Egyptian God shows up to the party. 

Spoiler:
Or it's Nebet or someone related to her?

« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2019, 01:06:57 AM »
Spoiler:
Or it's Nebet or someone related to her?
Nebet as an extra midboss is fairly safe to call. Hopefully with a short music sync monologue.

Related, I just found out in spell practice that Nebet & Mystia have a shared last spell. I guess I've yet to get better at stage 5 to see it in a run.

« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2019, 02:16:41 AM »
Related, I just found out in spell practice that Nebet & Mystia have a shared last spell. I guess I've yet to get better at stage 5 to see it in a run.
Nah, it's just a bonus thing that shows up in spell practice only. There's a playable version of Horou's Last Spell in there too!

I wonder if the Extra boss will end up being those two silhouettes from a while back that went unexplained...

« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2019, 02:43:15 PM »
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm35350439

Extra stage for HSoB

Also a trailer for the new game Kaisendo supports. Lead designer is Len. Music composer is NED.

The new extra boss is dope. You can say she's
Spoiler:
pot
entialy new best girl

Edit:
Spoiler:
Also it just hit me. HSoB extra stage last spell is a match between two warriors and you're stuck between them.
It's also 'Pot meet kettle' meme/pun. . .
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 03:00:36 PM by Popcioslav »
No.

KaiserKnuckle

• You better stop,
  • and think about what you're doing
    • Music interests and whatnot
Re: Ido thread: 東方真珠島 ~ Hollow Song of Birds EXTRA STAGE
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2019, 06:24:40 PM »
I did call it internally that
Spoiler:
Set's possessee was going to be involved here in some way. I didn't expect Mumei to be so crazy strong though; seriously, a seto snake? ?? Those back to back Z-Spells were unexpectedly cool, too, especially that last one.

I do want to know the context behind the other character during the final spell, though, is that supposed to be Ranran or something? They have the same stance and red bullets, but I'm not sure.
E:
Spoiler:
The other character is supposed to represent Cao Cao in a thematic sense, and I would bet everyone here dollars to donuts that we will see them again sooner or latertweet courtesy of me

That theme and background were also super neat-o. Kinda not-so-dramatic mood for the song in contrast with the
Spoiler:
dark, cratereous epicenter of the collapsed Kinjintou
, though.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:54:03 AM by KaiserKnuckle »
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

« Reply #175 on: July 06, 2019, 02:30:49 PM »
Are spoilers really neccessary here?

Spoiler:
Mumei is the seto taisho that Set possessed. Seto taisho were made up by Toriyama Sekien, a man who compiled a list of tons of japanese youkai back in the late 1700s. There's no historical evidence that Seto taisho ever existed before his list, so it can be assumed he made them up.

As a result, Mumei has a very weak existence. She's in danger of fading away at any minute and is very depressed about it. The extra stage is basically the Chirper crew causing trouble around Gensokyo as a means of luring you to Mumei's location- you resolve their mini-incidents one by one until your reach Mumei. The goal is to have you participate in a danmaku fight to cheer them up.

In Toriyama's story, the Seto Taisho were at war with another kind of youkai called Karatsu-ware (Karatsu being another kind of pottery). Mumei actually befriended the Karatsu-ware, but since it was just a side character in the story of an already weak youkai, it faded away. She's mega depressed about it. The character in her final spell is the last remnants of her karatsu-ware friend.

Mumei in general is just kind of emo though lol.
All information from ~Tilde~ on discord.

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
« Reply #176 on: July 06, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »
Site's been updated with their next game, which is apparently Infinite Blade Pavilion. No demo or anything but a trailer's up and it looks good.

« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2019, 07:21:30 AM »

DarkPermafrost

• Wandering Lone Wolf
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2019, 12:59:51 PM »
HSoB ExNN with Reimu, featuring
Spoiler:
quite literally everyone in the game.

Grrr.
---
YouTube