Author Topic: Th145 palette editor  (Read 6375 times)

Th145 palette editor
« on: February 13, 2017, 05:17:37 PM »
Someone talked about that a few days ago, and I thought it would be quite fun to do, so I made a Touhou 14.5 palette editor.

To use it, unzip the zip file attached to this message, click on the "Select game folder" button, select your game folder, and choose the character you want to edit.
Then, everything about palette editing should be quite obvious (and if it isn't, then I guess I'm a bad UI designer).

Once you did your changes, you can choose between 3 output formats:
  • "Palette file" save the palette to a file. It can then be loaded with "Load palette file..." in the palette menu. This format won't insert the palette into the game.
  • "Static patch" is probably the best one. It will add the new palette into the game chosen at the 1st step by creating a small static patch, or by altering the existing one. The "th145e1.pak" box sets the archive in which the palette will be loaded. If you don't know what it is, whichever one is fine, you can keep the default one.
  • "Thcrap patch" is better if you use thcrap to play to ULiL. When you'll click on "Save", you'll be asked for a directory. Choose a patch folder used by thcrap when running ULiL. ULiL is in the sandbox for now, so if you don't know which folder to choose, you can choose thpatch/sandbox in the thcrap directory.

I'll add something about disk usage: you need to have 1 Go left on your disk to use it. That's because it needs to extract the game files to find the palettes and images, and these files takes about 1 Go. Also, these files are NOT removed when the palette editor exits, because extracting all these files takes time, removing them takes a bit of time, and I think most people don't want to wait all that time each time they run the palette editor. If you want your Go back, remove the th145 directory created inside your game directory. And you can also remove all the th145e* directories from your game directory if you want to.

If anyone is interested, the source code is available on Github: https://github.com/brliron/Th145-palette-editor

Re: Th145 palette editor
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 12:14:12 AM »
I decided to celebrate its release by making some palettes in the link below:
http://imgur.com/a/3OpvP
Admitedly not my best work, but it's probably the first time anyone else used it.
Though I'd like to offer some constructive criticism about this: as it stands right now it's pretty bare bones, though functional. Unlike the 12.3 palette editor, there's no way to undo changes to palettes, and you can't edit a specific color by clicking on the part of the sprite you want to change. Despite that, it's Just as fun to use as the 12.3 editor

Now a few observations from what I've seen:
As seen through HM color editors, characters who have specialized textures (i.e. Miko, Kokoro, Sumireko) have that part of their spite colored pure red. The thing with Sumireko, though, is that her plaid dress is also considered a special texture, this time noted as pure green! Despite that, her dress can still be edited by this very editor. Also, they never expected to have the white part of Ichirin's dress change color, as if you try to change it, her sclera is affected.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:22:28 AM by RoamerB »

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 08:31:38 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I would have never thought about an undo feature, and I knew it needed a way to know which palette index is for a color, but didn't know how I could do it.

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:06:51 PM »
New version, with undo / redo support, and support for clicking on a pixel to select the corresponding palette entry.