Author Topic: UEFA EURO 2016, anyone?  (Read 51968 times)

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
Re: UEFA EURO 2016, anyone?
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2016, 05:56:17 PM »
Quote from: Me screaming
ICELAND DID IT! ICELAND DID IT! ICELAND! DID! IT!

Once again Portugal shows that one man does not make a team. Hungary and Iceland finish 1-2 in the group; Portugal would've been eliminated in any other tournament.  :smug:

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2016, 05:58:10 PM »
Sir Amat, please give John Rogers the regards of a random internet person. #ICELANDSMITES o/
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2016, 06:01:23 PM »
What a story. Iceland goes through as a runner-up. Portugal is also through via the third place, meaning Albania is out. Turkey's fate hangs by a thread, they will be out if either Ireland or Sweden win their matches, as long as Sweden doesn't demolish Belgium too badly. If both Ireland and Sweden win, then Turkey is out no matter what.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:04:05 PM by nav' »
Рабинович глядит на плакат ?Ленин умер, но дело его живет!?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2016, 06:06:17 PM »
Sir Amat, please give John Rogers the regards of a random internet person. #ICELANDSMITES o/

I most certainly will!

Austria's double substitution at halftime might have given them a second wind, but fortunately Iceland wised up and tightened up their defense, however late, which has served them well so far. I was worried they weren't taking enough chances, but that last minute var bara gj?rsamlega fallegur ?rumur wooooooooooo

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2016, 08:55:45 PM »
So there, while the Swedes eliminate themselves through their own ineffectiveness, Ireland manages a win against Italy, going into the third place ranking and knocking Turkey down to the 5th place of said ranking. Not sure if anyone expected both Irelands and Wales to go through alongside England, but there they are.

A handy draw of the knockout phase available here at Soccerway (the 1/8th is slightly incomplete right now, but that's very much temporary).
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2016, 09:34:26 PM »
I missed ALL of these games.  :(

I'm super happy with this tournament so far, though. The national tournaments always give you this excitement that the Champions League can't muster.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2016, 06:48:34 AM »
lolTurkey should've just won their pool games instead of trying to survive barely as 3rd best. If they only played like this with their first match.

Still rooting for Iceland. Belgium continues but their play isn't solid yet. They have weird ups and downs (3-0 previous game and now barely won)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »
More good: http://screamer.deadspin.com/icelandic-announcer-shreds-vocal-cords-calling-home-cou-1782447411

Ah, Gummi Ben (aka Gu?mundur Benediktsson). Dude is a former footballer himself, and a bit of a sports nerd.  What makes him especially beloved in Iceland is that he doesn't employ the Detached Sports Scientist tone of a lot of Icelandic commentators. Instead, he talks like some guy sitting next to you in the stands, in good times and bad. So he goes nuts when things go wrong and when they go right. This outburst of his is just one of many, many explosions of joy we've heard him give over the years. He's a treasure.

e: John Rogers to the rescue again: https://grapevine.is/culture/2016/06/23/what-was-that-commentator-who-lost-his-mind-actually-saying/
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:33:11 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »
Now with both of the big boys Spain and Italy defeated by Croatia and Ireland in the final group match, I'm certainly looking forward to Spain VS Italy in the first round of the knockout phase. It's gonna be great.

Still having the memories of how Spain completely demolished Italy 4-0 in the final of the 2012 Euro.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2016, 11:45:26 AM »
The fun resumes today! For obvious reasons I'll be keeping a very close look on Switzerland - Poland, which should be a very even and close game, but, really, every single match should be good today. So, apparently both Switzerland and Poland have already achieved their best European Championship result ever and at least one of them is about to go even further. Same for Wales - Northern Ireland, except their presence at this stage can be seen as a significant surprise in itself. Both teams are known for their fighting spirit and ambition, so it's going to be a great match which should end in Wales winning, but who knows. And finally, Croatia will demolish Portugal on their march for the semifinals. Or will they?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2016, 03:36:22 PM »
First knockout match, first penalty shootout already. Let's see how it turns out.

UPDATE: Poland enters the quarter-finals, 5-4.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:43:27 PM by Jimmy »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2016, 03:45:14 PM »
Congrats Navpirx :V

Mind if I ask though, what does your coach have against substitutions?

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2016, 04:56:01 PM »
Congrats Navpirx :V

Mind if I ask though, what does your coach have against substitutions?
Thank you very much. As for substitutions? I don't understand it either. I guess he predicted there would be an extra time, but not making a third sub is puzzling. We don't exactly have a short bench: there's Thiago Cionek, one of Nawałka's favourite defenders who played vs Ukraine; Piotr Zieliński, an extremely talented midfielder; or Mariusz Stępiński, a solid forward ready to replace the ineffective Milik. Strange, especially considering he let in Peszko, a terrible player who's there basically only because others like him. Waiting with subs like that and not making a third one is something Smuda (our previous coach, widely criticized for completely clueless decisions on the previous Euro) would have done.

Also, I was ostensibly wrong about Wales - N. Ireland. This is the worst match I've seen so far.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2016, 06:00:12 PM »
Nothing sucks more than losing a match, then to lose it via an own goal. Got to feel for Northern Island, but as people have said, they (and Wales) have never got this far before; so mad props to them. The game was zzzzzzzzzzz indeed, but hey, we have a dragon in the quarter finals for the first time ever; we'll take that. Especially if (and when) England dump themselves out :V

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2016, 06:03:19 PM »
I thought England already voted themselves out yesterday?

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2016, 06:14:26 PM »
Nothing sucks more than losing a match, then to lose it via an own goal.
Wales would have scored anyway, I'm sure. There was a Welsh player following just next to the N. Irish defender, going right at the ball.

Generally speaking, I'd say the Welsh way of playing was stunted today because they're a counterattacking team and Northern Ireland had no intention to actually give them any counterattacking chances. Thus Wales was reduced to positional attacking that they simply can't do, turning the match into somewhat of a borefest. Shame, but I'm sure their next game will be far more interesting.
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »
Aaand here's a game without a single on target attempt to cap off the day that seemed so promising. Do I dare to watch the extra time?
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2016, 09:31:39 PM »
Late goals make a return in the knockout phase. Portugal is leading.

CRO 0-1 POR

UPDATE: Croatia is out. Croatia why.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 09:33:40 PM by Jimmy »

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2016, 09:36:46 PM »
The soccer gods have spoken. Croatia was by far the more aggressive side in the final 10' of extra time, but a risky managerial decision (leaving on a player who's been limping and down throughout extra time) came back to bite them when Portugal's counter-attack struck true in part because said player couldn't mark Nani tight enough. That and when you have as many chances as Vida did, you have to finish or else risk results like this.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2016, 09:47:01 PM »
Soooooooo...

Who wants to see Poland beat Portugal? Also, that match was even worse than the Wales one; the only shot on target (counting the 2 as 1 because it was literally seconds apart) came at the end of extra time. Utter snooze fest; please let tomorrow be better, please ><

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2016, 09:54:54 PM »
A reminder for anyone that will be Jonesin' for more football now that the Euro's games are done today that the USA/Colombia Copa Am?rica 3rd Place match is on later tonight (though admittedly past midnight for all of Europe).

It'll probably be closer than USA/Argentina!

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
I sure wonder why am I getting a feeling of deja vu after reading the above post!

(I'd totally watch the entire Copa America if only it wasn't so late in the night... Too bad, Argentina - Chile is shaping up to be a spectacular match)
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2016, 12:02:42 AM »
COPA AM?RICA HIJACK LOL

USA/COL begins! GET FUCKING HYPE

(Also congrats to Columbia for the peace times!)

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2016, 11:18:22 AM »
Copa America hijack over, more Euro to come! So anyone rooting for Slovakia and Hungary today? Probably Ireland too, if you remember how Ireland was once eliminated by France after Thierry Henry's famous handball (not as famous as Maradona's perhaps, but still).
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2016, 11:29:51 AM »
I'll keep on rooting for Jogi's boys. Otherwise I'm somewhat neutral about the matches today, but kinda hope that Belgium and Ireland can advance.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
Super early goals are now joining the tournament. Keep it up, Ireland!

61' France turning the table all of a sudden. Admittedly, the two goals by Griezmann were beautiful.

FULL TIME: France advances to the next round. The match really picked up speed in the second half.

GERSLO: Just saw the German lineup against Slovakia, looks promising. Hope that it's effective too.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 03:18:41 PM by Jimmy »

nav'

• nothing to see here
  • definitely not a Ditto
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2016, 03:50:22 PM »
Griezmann show. Too bad, Ireland was looking solid up to a point, then everything fell apart. Now comes a match where my favourite team plays our Slavic brothers and neighbours, so I'll be happy no matter who wins (although Slovakia is slightly preferable, if only because no one expects them to win this).
? уж лучше бы о он жил!

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »
Well, didn't actually expect a goal within the first 10 minutes, good job, Boateng. And that attack by Draxler with the 2-0 by Gomez was amazing, his room was so narrow, but he nailed it. Pity about the missed penalty though. Neuer looks like he's almost as effective as a whole defense squad, considering the dramatic measures he takes to keep the ball out of the goal, that save of Kucka's shot was well done.
Keep going!

63' That goal by Draxler was damn elegant.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:23:14 PM by Jimmy »

BT

• I never talk to you
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2016, 05:37:02 PM »
Well, didn't actually expect a goal within the first 10 minutes, good job, Boateng. And that attack by Draxler with the 2-0 by Gomez was amazing, his room was so narrow, but he nailed it. Pity about the missed penalty though. Neuer looks like he's almost as effective as a whole defense squad, considering the dramatic measures he takes to keep the ball out of the goal, that save of Kucka's shot was well done.
Keep going!

63' That goal by Draxler was damn elegant.
Neuer is high on my list of favorite players.