Author Topic: Should we get our own Discord server?  (Read 22468 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Should we get our own Discord server?
« on: June 02, 2016, 08:26:03 AM »
I know most of us still use IRC, but I think we should also have a Discord server. A lot of people have been using Discord now, since it's really easy to use, and it's practically on mobile.

Dunno if IRC even has mobile, but it'll probably be pretty clunky.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Re: Should we get our own Discord server?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »
I say yes.

The subreddit /r/touhou has its own Discord server, and it's really active, so why not us? This forum is decently active, too, but the IRC whenever I come to take a look isn't that chatty at all. Maybe it's relegated to an obscure link somewhere in the forum.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 01:50:10 AM »
Our gaming community would definitely benefit from a Discord server in place of TeamSpeak (we still use that, right?) since it's a lot more feature-rich than the latter.

Dunno if IRC even has mobile, but it'll probably be pretty clunky.
You can definitely log onto IRC from a mobile device, and I might even say that it's incredibly suited to mobile devices where connections can be congested and bandwidth may be limited or pricey. There are many clients you can use on your phone and when properly set up it's about as reliable as text messages. It's also possible to set up a server on your computer so you can share the same session across all your devices, similar to Facebook Messenger or Google Hangouts but without the data overhead.

This forum is decently active, too, but the IRC whenever I come to take a look isn't that chatty at all. Maybe it's relegated to an obscure link somewhere in the forum.
Activity depends on many factors. Most people stay connected to the MoTK network at all times so that they can be reached and see messages left for them. People come from varying places with varying time zones, so there will inevitably be times with absolutely no activity.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 01:54:49 AM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

Zerviscos

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 11:54:18 AM »
I joined a Touhoucraft Discord server. Told me to stay away from r/touhou discord. lol

Setting that aside, people don't lurk every part of the forums, so this might get ignored, we need atleast a number of people to agree or not to make a Discord server, and and an admin to make it.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 12:11:09 PM »
Told me to stay away from r/touhou discord. lol
I mod the /r/touhou Discord, I would be delighted to know who said such a thing, because from what I lived for a few months, it has been a good place.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:13:00 PM by Spotty Len »

Zerviscos

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 04:05:22 PM »
I mod the /r/touhou Discord, I would be delighted to know who said such a thing, because from what I lived for a few months, it has been a good place.
Don't remember, lots of people there, and their names were usually decorated with ASCII codes.

Anyways, seems like we're not getting the attention we need to actually set up a community server.

edit: joined your server. seems nice, Was the youmuhead.jpeg one who greeted earlier.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 07:08:54 PM »
As a very frequent user of Discord and a mod of a couple of servers, I would be very happy to see this place get one. I've always found it harder to connect to others on strictly forums. I find that chatting with people online has always been the best way for me to meet new people, and I'm sure there are others who are similar in the regard.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 05:22:27 AM »
I use Discord a lot and love everything about it, right down to the public API. I'd be more active if there was a server for this place. When I was younger I used to be a very active forum user and after years of being apart of various forums it eventually grew tiring and I second Ozzy's statement it is difficult to communicate through forums compared to live chats.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
I've never heard of a Discord server though what is the actual difference between IRC and Discord? (I've noted the mobile usage) but what else?

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 08:49:41 PM »
Voice channels, avatars and a friendly UI. It's easier to compare it as a Skype or Teamspeak alternative with all the standard bells and whistles. Runs smooth and ad free though.

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »
I've never heard of a Discord server though what is the actual difference between IRC and Discord? (I've noted the mobile usage) but what else?
Discord has built-in audio chat. And more private, I guess, because you need to click on an invitation link to get access to the server.

Also, you can have sub-channels in Discord for organization, like a meta, off-topic, general, etc, instead of a bunch of separate channels.

Voice channels, avatars and a friendly UI. It's easier to compare it as a Skype or Teamspeak alternative with all the standard bells and whistles. Runs smooth and ad free though.
Also this.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »
I'd be down for a Discord server, being a mod in a couple and all, it's really nice and simple, and the best part is that you don't need the client to join, as it can be accessed through the browser too.

If this happens I'll most likely join in.

Zerviscos

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 07:18:58 AM »
Oh we're getting a number of people now. That's good.

LinkyFW

• That one guy that loves Touhou but is terrible at it
  • Who the hell do you think I am!? Dont answer that.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 08:06:10 PM »
100% Agree. Discord is really amazing for communication purposes and the such. It would be pretty cool to see one here.
Touhou 10 MoF Normal : 1cc! Beaten!
Touhou 6 EoSD Normal : 1cc! Beaten!
Touhou 7 PCB Normal : 1cc! Beaten!
Touhou 8 IN Normal : 1cc! Beaten!
Many left to go...

Failure McFailFace

• Impor
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 09:43:12 PM »
Just thought of a perk.

Just in case if the forums go down again (for any reason at all), we could just move to the Discord for the time being, wait for information from TSO, among other things.

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 10:35:49 PM »
I didn't mention it, but I would gladly join a Discord if there was one.

IRC is a bit too... "user-unfriendly"? I don't know a lot of people in IRC and it is a bit intimidating, so I don't have much motivation for launching the client. Discord is much friendlier and is easy to set up, and I got more reasons to launch it than for IRC.

Zerviscos

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 05:09:06 PM »
I would say we could make one our own without an admin's permission. But that would prolly cause trouble, and tbh, it'll just touhou in general which the r/touhou's discord can also fulfill. Other than that, it'll be unofficial server.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 06:20:42 PM »
Just in case if the forums go down again (for any reason at all), we could just move to the Discord for the time being, wait for information from TSO, among other things.
IRC and forums aren't run on the same server afaik. This makes no sense.

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 08:36:53 PM »
Sure why not, a Touhou guild on another game(Getamped2) already got me to get it, I wouldn't mind being on it for discussions, I prefer it to a forum format at the very least.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 09:36:36 PM »
Something I noticed is that it's currently not possible to set up a private (read: MoTK-owned) Discord server. Sure, you can host a chatroom on public servers, but it would not have the degree of control our administrators have over our three (forum, IRC, TeamSpeak) servers. This has certain security implications, as well as reliability being affected by factors beyond our control. If in the future Discord releases their server software it might be possible to get the forum administrators to set that up, be it multitasking on an existing server or as a dedicated instance.

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 04:15:22 AM »
Something I noticed is that it's currently not possible to set up a private (read: MoTK-owned) Discord server. Sure, you can host a chatroom on public servers, but it would not have the degree of control our administrators have over our three (forum, IRC, TeamSpeak) servers. This has certain security implications, as well as reliability being affected by factors beyond our control. If in the future Discord releases their server software it might be possible to get the forum administrators to set that up, be it multitasking on an existing server or as a dedicated instance.
I don't know what you mean by this, you can make your own server on discord itself, its as easy as pressing a button.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

Zerviscos

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 01:42:36 PM »
Any thoughts about this Hele?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 07:38:50 PM »
I'm not really a big user of either IRC or Discord; but of the two in the event I use them, I prefer Discord. If only for the fact that it looks better.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 08:27:05 PM »
I don't think an official MotK discord server is in the cards right now.  IRC is old tech but I don't see a reason to abandon it just yet.

Edit: I agree that IRC implementation on mobile is complete shit, however.  That's a major factor to consider were we to move to discord or a similar service.

ExPorygon

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
    • Ephemeral Entertainment
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 11:43:45 PM »
Someone else earlier in the thread said something like this, but I really agree that IRC is super user unfriendly. I've tried it a few times and kind of felt lost as to the inner workings of it. Plus, does IRC have any sort of voice implementation?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 09:18:56 AM »
There is no voice, graphic or any other Skypish/WhatsAppish nature to IRC clients in general.

IRC is nothing more than a simple piece of software that allows you to chat. It is light weight, solid and doesn't needs fancy things to get the job done -> Chat.

Can't really understand why people call it (super) user unfriendly. You just fill out the server you wish to connect to + a nickname and you're done (which would probably be similar on a Discord server or Teamspeak server). Perhaps the interface looks oldschool/ancient and doesn't looks like WhatsApp or Skype and people feel uncomfortable?

Maybe I'm missing something what other people are trying to point out. Though what could possibly be unfriendly about a piece of software that allows you to just chat?

Edit
Any thoughts about this Hele?
I've looked around the site of Discord. I couldn't help but facepalm the moment I read "It is time to ditch Skype and Teamspeak". And I'm wondering: "Why?".

But let us not bash it for that reason alone. It looks slick and well designed. Exactly as I suspected and mentioned above about the UI thing. The only iffy thing for me is being another Browser thing. IRC is lightweight in comparison, and when it comes to gaming: You're not paying attention to the text chat anyway. Voice-chat is what you need and that is also easily achieved with Teamspeak.

I am sadly with Edible on this, unless there is a real emergency, ditching it like Edible said is odd.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:34:39 AM by Helepolis »

DeityDiz93

• Arahitogami of Contribution
  • Geez, Touhou and real life are set to hard mode...
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 10:34:22 AM »
Discord itself is actually still a beta program, so there are still needs in the Discord community for new features that will aid in improving the platform. It's got a lot of great thing behind it already, but it's ever changing, and the truth is that it can still be resource-intensive for some people's systems unlike IRC.

I'm not a frequenter of most IRC deals here mostly because I'm shy, but you folks at MotK do still have a working form of communication already, so I'd say trying out Discord and determining your own stance is the best call when it comes to anything official.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:37:11 AM by DeityDiz93 »
I'm a decade-old Touhou Project fan. I heavily advocate for what's obscure and less popular in this series such as the PC-98 era, not-often-heard ZUN music, and the much of unpopular/unused characters.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 11:53:24 AM »
My IRC client uses about 10 times less system resources then Discord.

I disagree with Edible on the stance that there are no good mobile IRC clients. I use Andchat on my phone and it runs perfectly well. I can run it from the SD card. Lightweight, no ads, has almost all the same features as the reliable Hexchat does on my PC, very little data usage, and it's free. I've never tried to go on PPIRC with it however and I'm pretty sure PPIRC is not friendly with it for some reason, but I don't have trouble connecting to any major IRC networks, or small ones. You might want to bug Suzuran about that if that's an issue.
Also my phone is from like 2010 and it still runs IRC just fine.

To be honest Discord isn't really an IRC alternative, there's nothing that's really an IRC alternative except maybe Telnet. Discord is just too large of a program to really compare to something as lightweight as IRC. While it does enjoy lots of throwbacks from IRC, it's definitely its own thing.

However I will say that Discord was built to be a 'Skype killer' and it definitely wins on that front. Almost everyone I know has migrated from Skype to Discord, and it's a much better, much less bulky and terrible program then Skype. The latency needed is much, much lower and it does all the things Skype does while still being much smaller. It doesn't do video calls yet, however. But only 'yet'.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:57:11 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 12:39:36 PM »
Plus, does IRC have any sort of voice implementation?

No, but I view this as a positive :V

I disagree with Edible on the stance that there are no good mobile IRC clients. I use Andchat on my phone and it runs perfectly well. I can run it from the SD card. Lightweight, no ads, has almost all the same features as the reliable Hexchat does on my PC, very little data usage, and it's free. I've never tried to go on PPIRC with it however and I'm pretty sure PPIRC is not friendly with it for some reason, but I don't have trouble connecting to any major IRC networks, or small ones. You might want to bug Suzuran about that if that's an issue.
Also my phone is from like 2010 and it still runs IRC just fine.

For what it's worth, I also use AndChat and think it works well enough.  My issue is that IRCP being almost 30 years old lacks a lot of modern compatibility, especially with mobile devices.  It is notoriously finicky with a roaming connection which can cause frequent disconnects and since data is stored client-side, doesn't allow you to read messages from when you're offline (for instance).

Suwako Moriya

• Hey you with the pretty face
  • Welcome to the human race!
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 01:14:53 PM »
FWIW I use Yaaic and have had no major issues with it (or at least not recently).
The only thing this dimension does well is show its ass. We might as well applaud it! - Albert Burneko

Well, this game happened.