Author Topic: Touhou developers to be guests of NIS America at Anime Expo (July 1-4, 2016)  (Read 39110 times)

You could also see that the word ZUN used for Yukari's danmaku and character is 気持ち悪い (unpleasant).
Well, the proves that Yukari doesn't really care about gensokyo i guess.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
...How are those two things linked with each other?

The word used (pronounced "kimochi warui") is something I would translate as "disgusting" and refers to a visceral emotional reaction, not a moral judgment or a description of their motives. Basically he just means that no one in Gensokyo likes Yukari, which is something that was already quite clear in the dialog.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Re: Aya's feather

Aya was a crow before she became tengu. (PoFV profile) I guess like immigrants, you may call her a first-gen tengu.

Just don't forget the context is characterization through gameplay. Yukari's danmaku is meant to make you uncomfortable, to convey the idea that she is a creepy monster who snatches humans from the shadows. That's the important part.

Recording of the fan game panel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDjQFkxzgUI

ZUN has now arrived at San Francisco.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:07:47 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

tohosubs

• Admin: persceaux
The word used (pronounced "kimochi warui") is something I would translate as "disgusting" and refers to a visceral emotional reaction, not a moral judgment or a description of their motives. Basically he just means that no one in Gensokyo likes Yukari, which is something that was already quite clear in the dialog.

You probably know this, but let me comment on the possible nuance here for the benefit of other readers: 気持ち悪い can be キモい (disgusting) or 不気味 (creepy), and I think both meanings are intended. See for example this tweet:
紫はもともと得体のしれない胡散臭さ全開のキャラで成り立ってるから、神主はそういう意味で「気持ち悪いキャラ」と言ったのかもしれない

[edit] cuc said as much in the post right above.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:18:53 AM by tohosubs »
English subtitles for Touhou derivative works from Nico, translated and reprinted on YouTube with the creators' permission. The admin is a native JP/EN speaker.
/r/touhou wiki's Nico Portal

A more accurate word would be "dishonest" or "cheat", but as Reimu herself a bit absurd, it is expressed otherwise.

What? Are we still talking about 気持ち悪い? It means creepy/disgusting and that's exactly how it's being used. ZUN's not saying Yukari's a liar, he's saying she's creepy, which as I said is entirely a visceral emotional reaction. It says nothing about the person being described other than how someone else is feeling about them.

Edit: Wait, you mean 胡散臭さ? I believe that's referring to the part in the latest Strange Creators magazine where Reimu describes Yukari as "suspiciousness itself, wearing a dress and walking around." Which is just to say that she's really suspicious and shady, from Reimu's point of view. It's definitely a fun description, but there's nothing that requires a deeper analysis about it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 09:38:55 PM by Clarste »

PK

• Border of Whatever
A recording.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSBYVHFUvmQ
Any idea of what they say from 36:00? Someone in YT comments said it was the "trump question" or something (and also that it sucked :V), but my english listening skills are crappy.

Drake

If you check the transcripted interp, the trump question is after the instrument question, so yeah.

They said "when are you going to increase the border wall". Because ha-ha, the Hakurei Barrier is like a wall. But not really. Funny.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -