Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)  (Read 94120 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 15)
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2016, 03:12:57 AM »
>Assuming we can aim properly.
>Still, with Kyouko sidelined, we can handle it. We can handle it.
>"Alright, then. You just rest here, Kyouko, and hopefully we'll both be in better shape before the end of the day."

>Kyouko gives you a thumbs up. "You go get that flower."

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2016, 03:33:10 AM »
>Take a deep breath, straighten, and march.
>Now we must confront the Mistress of Plants...

« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2016, 03:58:38 AM »
>Take a deep breath, straighten, and march.
>Now we must confront the Mistress of Plants...

>You take a deep breath, though your lungs still wheeze for the effort. You are half blind and deaf, adrift in a haze that has swallowed your mind, and weary beyond all rest. But you are still alive, and you have an appointment to keep.

>The path down into the garden is steep - or at least steeper than your limbs are comfortable navigating anymore. You stumble. You fall. But you pick yourself up again and keep on walking. Will alone carried you into this forest, and it will carry you these last few feet. That garden which had seemed so far away, so utterly unreachable, is all around you now. You can remember what it looked like - so lush and green and vibrant, all colors of the rainbow in majestic array. You had been ready to give up, once. But not now. Not when you're this close. If you died on your feet, they would still keep moving forward. Just one foot in front of the other, Nazrin. Just one foot.

>"I see you're not quite dead after all. Though one could be forgiven for thinking otherwise."

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2016, 04:23:16 AM »
>"Told you, I'd be back."

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2016, 04:33:55 AM »
>"Told you, I'd be back."

>It is impossible for you to make out Yuuka's expression anymore, but her voice still holds that unsettling calmness to it - a dagger sheathed in silk.
>"And even more unsightly than the last time," she says. "I admit, I'm a little surprised you can still stand. It must be quite unpleasant."

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2016, 04:54:13 AM »
>Nod. "It is." Don't have the energy for much false bravado. "The journey was... difficult. I'd be lying if I said I didn't doubt that I'd see you again once or twice."

« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2016, 05:18:21 AM »
>Nod. "It is." Don't have the energy for much false bravado. "The journey was... difficult. I'd be lying if I said I didn't doubt that I'd see you again once or twice."

>"Ah, a rare moment of agreement! I do hope you brought something with you to make this second trespass worth overlooking."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:24:38 AM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2016, 05:31:34 AM »
>"I-" *cough* "I always come through for a client."
>Retrieve the goods and hold them up before us.

« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2016, 05:36:55 AM »
>"I-" *cough* "I always come through for a client."
>Retrieve the goods and hold them up before us.

>You hold up the container holding the lunar orchid Ringo gave you and unscrew the lid.
>"My, you are a resourceful little mouse, aren't you?"

« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2016, 07:11:18 AM »
>Incline head. "Thank you."

« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2016, 07:21:55 AM »
>Incline head. "Thank you."

>Yuuka returns your gesture, at least partially. "And it was a bittercress flower you wanted in exchange for this, yes?"

« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2016, 07:31:27 AM »
>It WAS only the one flower we needed, right? And that- Of course it was that one, we've been looking for it that long. No way we'd forget that part.
>But assuming it was just the one, then, "Yes, ma'am."

« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »
>It WAS only the one flower we needed, right? And that- Of course it was that one, we've been looking for it that long. No way we'd forget that part.
>But assuming it was just the one, then, "Yes, ma'am."

>Yeah, that's definitely the flower you need. Can't forget that. Can't-
>...actually, the flowers looked pretty tiny. You're probably supposed to use a bunch of them? Maybe?

« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2016, 04:27:05 PM »
>Can we estimate approximately how many we might need? Or at least take a rough guess?

« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2016, 06:49:29 PM »
>Can we estimate approximately how many we might need? Or at least take a rough guess?

>You have no idea, frankly. Recipe wasn't specific.

« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2016, 04:33:17 AM »
>"That was the flower, yes. But, I understand the flower is a bit small, true? I don't know if all I need is one, or more."

« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2016, 04:36:53 AM »
>"That was the flower, yes. But, I understand the flower is a bit small, true? I don't know if all I need is one, or more."

>"Well? Which is it?" she asks, sounding rather amused.

« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2016, 04:54:50 AM »
>Good question.
>"May I see the plant, please? That way I can make a better guess at how many I need to make the medicine."

« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2016, 04:59:56 AM »
>Good question.
>"May I see the plant, please? That way I can make a better guess at how many I need to make the medicine."

>There is a pointed silence, then Yuuka smiles. "But of course. This way."
>She gestures graciously towards the depths of the garden.

« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2016, 05:07:41 AM »
>"Thank you."
>Follow her lead.
>"And I hope that in the very near future, I'll be able to take a better look at this place. I can't see as well as I could when we last met."

« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2016, 05:35:15 AM »
>"Thank you."
>Follow her lead.
>"And I hope that in the very near future, I'll be able to take a better look at this place. I can't see as well as I could when we last met."

>You follow after Yuuka as she calmly leads down the trails between the rows of flowers.
>"No, I imagine you can't. A shame."

>It might well have been the most awkward stroll of your life, if you'd been alive enough to care. Yuuka says nothing. You don't feel it prudent to interject. All the exquisite landscaping blends into a single mottled curtain of grey, and still you hear sounds of veiled motion as you walk past it. Yuuka has been nothing but polite this time, but you'd still feel acutely unsafe here, had you anything else to lose. What meaning is danger, when the danger itself is the one thing standing between you and death? At least she's going through the motions of honoring her agreement; it's very clear she has nothing to lose by reneging.

>After a minute or two of this uncomfortable silence, Yuuka stops.
>"And here we are. Do feel free to inspect the flowers. Though I would advise against touching anything." There is a lilt to her words which would sound disarming from anyone else.

« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2016, 06:45:47 AM »
>Can we see the Mcguffin?

« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2016, 06:53:05 AM »
>Can we see the Mcguffin?

>There's... a lot of flowers here. A lot of deeply blurry flowers - thousands, probably. And she isn't even pointing at any of them. Is that... intentional?

« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2016, 07:08:11 AM »
>Okay, can we see any blurs the color of the bittercress flower?

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2016, 07:14:27 AM »
>Okay, can we see any blurs the color of the bittercress flower?

>There are no colors anymore. Just suggestions of form and shadow, lost in fog.

« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2016, 10:36:23 AM »
>Gotta love that helpless feeling.
>"If I do, it will be an accident." Look around. "I, uh, can't see the Bittercress. Or much else."

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »
>Gotta love that helpless feeling.
>"If I do, it will be an accident." Look around. "I, uh, can't see the Bittercress. Or much else."

>"Oh! Of course." One might almost be fooled into thinking she was apologetic. "Look to the ground by your left foot. If you can, of course."
>With your attention thus guided, you can barely make out what is maybe possibly a bittercress plant; it's so very hard to recall the drawing in that book now, even when it's so important. The flower are very tiny, at any rate - smaller than buttercups, and blooming in little clusters all over the plant. One seems too tiny to do anything, but you're no herbalist. You're barely more than a walking corpse right now. Could you just take the whole plant? That would be easier. Figure out what to do with it later....
>"The flowers may look delicate, but they're quite hardy."

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2016, 08:49:12 AM »
>"How did you get them to bloom so far out of season?"

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2016, 09:05:17 AM »
>"How did you get them to bloom so far out of season?"

>"I desired it," she says simply.

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2016, 09:17:19 AM »
>"That's a mighty *breath* convenient skill."
>Half a dozen should do?