Author Topic: Cannot start Lotus Land Story  (Read 2277 times)

98digger

• The Master of 9801
  • What? Windows? What's that?
    • The 98th Dimension
Cannot start Lotus Land Story
« on: July 31, 2015, 02:10:12 AM »
Hello MoTK,

Lotus Land Story was working fine on my PC-9821 Ce2, until I accidentally ran FORMAT.COM and erased my CF card (which I use as a hard drive). I then had to restore my MS-DOS 5.0A-H image to it. The first time I burnt the image to the CF card, I erased CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT and wrote up new ones. This time, I used the original CONFIG and AUTOEXEC files (slightly modified to remove Windows 3.1 stuff) so I could get the CD-ROM drive working. Now whenever I run Lotus Land Story, it keeps displaying this message in Japanese:

The other Touhou games (all are demo versions, btw) are working properly, so I don't know what the problem is. Below is my AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS:

AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF
PATH=A:?DOS;A:?
SET DOSDIR=A:?DOS
A:?DOS?MSCDEX /D:CD_101 /L:Q
A:?DOS?DOSKEY
CLS

CONFIG.SYS:

FILES=20
BUFFERS=10
LASTDRIVE=Z
SHELL=A:?COMMAND.COM /P
DEVICE=A:?HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=A?EMM386.EXE /P=64 /UMB
DEVICE=A:?DOS?NECCD.SYS /D:CD_101
DOS=HIGH,UMB

The specs on the PC-98 are:

-Model: NEC PC-9821 Ce2 (1993)
-CPU: i486SX @ 25Mhz
-HDD: Transcend 2GB CF Card
-RAM: 640KB + 5120KB OK
-Resolution: 640x400 (PC-98 standard)

I honestly have no idea why it isn't working. I was thinking that it might have had something to do with the NEC BIOS settings, but the other Touhou games work, so that doesn't make sense.... I suppose that it is important to mention that this hard disk image used to have Windows 3.1 on it along with DOS, but before I had a chance to image the drive, the disk decided (no thanks to me hitting the reset button at the wrong time) to copy a portion of Windows' files to the very beginning on the disk, so I had to use a hex editor to fix the hard disk header. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out where the Windows code it moved is supposed to go, so I had to erase Windows' folder from the disk entirely, leaving only DOS. Again, it has been working fine until now, and the problem I'm having exists only with Lotus Land Story for some reason.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

^Notice: I'm bad at writing replies :)    Also: Check out my personal site here: https://themasterof9801.neocities.org/