Author Topic: It's happening, Touhou is coming to the West.  (Read 46739 times)

Re: It's happening, Touhou is coming to the West.
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2015, 04:53:30 PM »
That was easy... The purchase, at least. I haven't played any Touhou beyond PCB and IN, so this is actually going to be somewhat of a challenge for me.

Let's hope LoLK will be distributed in the same way!

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2015, 02:48:03 AM »
"He wants to quit soon"

I suppose we should admire ZUN's honesty...

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2015, 03:27:00 AM »
Time to post some pics. Keep in mind that the current release is exactly the same as the one they released last August on Playism Japan, with a few things translated by ZUN himself.

A comparison of the launch menu, and contents of the Playism game folder:

Comparison between the Japanese (CD version) and English (Playism) config program:

What you get when you click on "Save and Close"? An untranslated message that may appear as gibberish on your system.

The title of the main game window. Somehow ZUN believes calling the game "TH14" instead of "Touhou Kishinjou" will be enough to make it English.

He also did not update his readme file properly.

Left: readme.txt after applying the 1.00b patch to the CD version.
Right: the Playism version still has the 1.00a readme.txt.

We are pretty used to how ZUN half-asses everything, but to most people who are not Touhou fans, this will come as a shock.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:29:21 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2015, 03:37:45 AM »
Also seeing that "wants to quit soon" thing. What's that about? Is there a source or did he tell Playism this?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

cuc

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2015, 03:45:49 AM »
Also seeing that "wants to quit soon" thing. What's that about? Is there a source or did he tell Playism this?
Like I said, ZUN wrote the game description, the system requirement and the developer bio himself, which are then translated by Playism at their usual level of quality. He jokes about retiring from time to time, but more often, he says he wants to make games more than ever.

Tengukami

« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2015, 04:05:39 AM »
Thought so. I mean last I recall he's maintained he'd keep going. Really odd choice of translation.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Sedrife

• Amateur Touhou Piano Player
  • イケメンFlan is the new hype
    • Touhou Piano Project
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2015, 04:10:17 AM »
Figured it would be just a copy+paste from the JP release. 

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2015, 02:34:40 AM »

Done. Being able to easily support ZUN easily is pretty neat. Finally!

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2015, 03:21:03 AM »
Yes!  Anything that makes it easier to buy Touhou.  Imports are expensive and I want to support ZUN's work.

cuc

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2015, 04:31:15 AM »
On the Playism English twitter:
Playism: Tell us what Touhou titles you wanna see in the west, we're gonna start a poll. Tell us using #IWantTouhou!

Playism: Tell us what non-mainline titles you also want to see :) #IWantTouhou

« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2015, 05:21:47 AM »
I think I will take that quitting remark with the whole damn salt mine.  As for the translation of menus, go figure.  I never expected a proper official translation but I guess it is nice that it is even available now.

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2015, 06:59:28 AM »
guessing this means 'everything goes through playism'. welp.

« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
Being able to easily support ZUN easily is pretty neat. Finally!

Wait! wait! hold the phone there guys, we need to clarify something here.

Are we *really* supporting ZUN here when we buy this game from Playism? It could be here that DDC is being sold on some license or something and Playism is getting all the profit while ZUN is getting minimal or even no money from the deal.

It would be great if this would be cleared up that we are indeed supporting ZUN when we buy from Playism. Businesses (especially corporations) are well known to be involved in dodgy and even downright despicable practices when involved with other peoples work. I would like to support ZUN himself, not Playism.

... I've been reading to many scandal and conspiracy stories again :derp:

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2015, 03:27:06 PM »
Yes. Yes, you have.

« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2015, 05:19:13 PM »
Grand you're so cynical

« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2015, 07:58:15 PM »
why on earth would you ever think he's not getting paid.

like, that's not conspiracy theory level, that's just "i don't understand how economics and business work"

now translators, they tend to get the short end of the stick.

« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2015, 09:24:24 PM »
I'm just saying that maybe Playism is getting the largest share of the profits from "bringing Touhou to the west" and ZUN might not be getting as much money out of it as we might think.

It seems like lots of people are buying the game from Playism simply so they can support ZUN for his wonderful games. These people should know if their money they are sending to ZUN from buying this game really is all going to ZUN and not just Playism. People who "want to support ZUN" should probably think about that for a second.

Tengukami

« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2015, 09:45:14 PM »
Grand, honest question: have you been following this story at all? Because I dont think you'd be Just Asking Questions like this if you had been. This is kind of a heavy accusation you're levelling here. Burden of proof is on you mang.

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2015, 12:36:22 AM »
I'm just saying that maybe Playism is getting the largest share of the profits from "bringing Touhou to the west" and ZUN might not be getting as much money out of it as we might think.

It seems like lots of people are buying the game from Playism simply so they can support ZUN for his wonderful games. These people should know if their money they are sending to ZUN from buying this game really is all going to ZUN and not just Playism. People who "want to support ZUN" should probably think about that for a second.

Did I accidentally click onto 'Current Events' on gamefaqs? Because, oh man, this post would fit right in there.

Think for a second. Unlike Kojima, Koji Igarashi, and Keiji Inafune, ZUN has complete control of his creative works, he works under no one. Playism either a) was lucky enough that ZUN* approached them and offered them the opportunity to distribute his works in the west or b) approached ZUN* and were lucky enough to be given the opportunity to distribute his works. ZUN holds every single card here and you can bet he's getting his fair share for his works.

*By which I mean ZUN and the people he has who help with business matters.

« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2015, 01:07:10 AM »
Wait I'm confused, is this some English made Touhou game?

Tengukami

« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2015, 02:09:08 AM »

See the first post in this thread for more information.

« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2015, 05:34:12 PM »

Nope!... But deep down inside I wish it was  :(

Think for a second. Unlike Kojima, Koji Igarashi, and Keiji Inafune, ZUN has complete control of his creative works, he works under no one.

Gah!... Don't even get me started on how badly Kojima has been back stabbed by Konami this year. RIP Metal gear - 1987-2015.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 05:42:27 PM by HalfGrand »

cuc

« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2015, 06:59:55 AM »
A technical sidenote not going to be interesting to most people:

The Playism Japanese site has fixed up all the dubious URLs from the previous update (initially their URLs were purely based on game names, e.g. "playism.jp/games/th14/"; in the update they switched to URLs based on game numbers, e.g. "playism.jp/game/296/touhou-kishinjo").

The Touhou category "playism.jp/games/dong-fang" is now "playism.jp/games/touhou_project".

"playism.jp/game/342/dong-fang-hong-hui-xin" is now "playism.jp/game/342/touhou-koukishin".

The platformer category "playism.jp/games/puratutohuoma" has been altogether removed.

"Sensei, what is a puratutohuoma?"
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 07:05:45 AM by cuc »

« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2015, 09:45:25 PM »
The amount of not-quite-English English and inexplicable Chinese in something as major as Touhou is quite amusing, to say the least.
I mean, seriously, why a Chinese reading of a very well-known Japanese game being sold to Japanese or English speaking people!? Utterly bizzare.

A mistake professionals should not make: a "prequel" is not an earlier episode, it's a later episode that takes place chronologically earlier,
By the by, most of the previously mentioned not-quite-English English had been corrected on DDC's page, barring the use of prequel.
They could've said "without having played any of the previous games in the series" or something instead. I'm beginning to wonder if Playism has an English editor on board.

« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2015, 11:57:22 PM »
brliron added partial support for TH14 Playism to thcrap a couple days ago. If you want TH14 Playism in English, give thcrap a shot.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

cuc

« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2015, 01:54:19 AM »
The amount of not-quite-English English and inexplicable Chinese in something as major as Touhou is quite amusing, to say the least.
I mean, seriously, why a Chinese reading of a very well-known Japanese game being sold to Japanese or English speaking people!? Utterly bizzare.
Nothing bizzare about it if you must churn out outsource work for something you are completely unfamiliar with quickly.

By the by, most of the previously mentioned not-quite-English English had been corrected on DDC's page, barring the use of prequel.
They could've said "without having played any of the previous games in the series" or something instead. I'm beginning to wonder if Playism has an English editor on board.
Yeah, looks like they have had one of their own staff take another pass at the page.

Does anyone have a copy of the old page saved? A screenshot would be enough.