Author Topic: Meiling's Rainbow - A Plural Script  (Read 1860 times)

Mr.Magic

Meiling's Rainbow - A Plural Script
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:35:56 PM »

Maths ~Angelic Version~

• Aspiring Mathematician of Brilliant Laziness
Re: Meiling's Rainbow - A Plural Script
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 03:58:39 PM »
Hello and welcome to RaNGE. I see that there hasn't been much activity in this topic, but you've posted some more scripts on BulletForge, so I've decided to give you some feedback.

Script: Meiling's Rainbow
Player: Reimu B
Difficulty: Hard

General comments:
-Please add some sound effects when the boss fires bullets.
-Some music won't hurt.
-If possible, choose a sprite that can be animated. Don't forget to animate  :V
-Bomb damage carries over between attacks. To prevent this, you can use SetInvincibility or a task with a while loop that is activated when the attacks starts and runs until the player stops being invincible.
-If you want to use a custom shot sheet, include it with your script. Remember to use relative pathing, not absolute pathing.
-The difficulty seems to be inconsistent. Did you test it? Were you the only tester? If you ask for help with testing, someone will probably help you out :)

Specific comments:
1st noncard: The pattern is too simple. It would work better if it's combined with something else. When Meiling moves far down, you'll get a dense wave. This can be fixed if a) Meiling doesn't fire that patterns while moving or b) Meiling moves more slowly or not as far.
Red - Criss and Cross: I found it hard, but it's one of the most fun cards here. Still, it's a bit too simple for a Spell Card.
2nd noncard: The small bullets' angular velocity is too high, so they end up staying on the screen for too long. Your only chance is moving to a corner (the middle of the screen usually gets flooded quickly), and if you're unlucky with Meiling's movement, not even that will save you. Make yourself invincible (press I during gameplay) to see what I mean.
Orange - Multi Bullets: Just a lot of aimed circles. Not really worthy of being a Spell Card IMO.
3rd noncard: Not a bad concept, but a bit too similar to Tojiko's noncard in Ten Desires. I found it somewhat fun, but you should prevent the player from circling Meiling (her movement sometimes makes circling impossible, but not always).
Yellow - Meiling's Yellow Rings: Too similar to Suwako's red ring attack, and it can be trivialized by circling Meiling.
4th noncard: Looks neat, but throws difficult walls at you too often. The Easy version has some really tight dodges too.
Green - Intricate Beauty: I liked the criss-crossing parts, but it's a bit too simple for a Spell Card.
5th noncard: If you want to use bullets from the bottom of the screen, at least give some sort of warning so the unexpecting player doesn't get killed by them. The design is too simple.
Blue - Sides of Seas: Too similar to Reisen's Last Spell, too simple design and too hard.
6th noncard: Pure random spam. This is bad.
Purple - Revolving Colors: When the attack starts, it's a little too hard to determine where to be to avoid the purple kunai that have passed through the centre of the flower. I think you should make the flower spin more slowly, make the "petals" larger and give the player something else to dodge. Just moving around in a circle gets monotonous.
Dyslexic Colors: What kind of name is that? Anyway, the attack itself is a bit messy. The yellow bullets are too fast. There's not much time to react when you have to watch out for all the other stuff as well. The purple walls are too hard to pass through, especially when the familiar is behind you.
The Rainbow: Have you even captured this yourself? The bullets are too fast (even on Easy) and sometimes create (nearly?) impossible walls. Also, why didn't you add a timer? In Touhou games, even final cards have timers.

Overall, there are too many simple patterns. I think you should experiment with combining different patterns. You'll find out what works and what doesn't. You might also want to learn how to use object bullets. Good luck! :)