Author Topic: Cannot move left-diagonally while firing  (Read 4178 times)

blase6

Cannot move left-diagonally while firing
« on: October 10, 2014, 03:20:03 AM »
I will start off by saying that this happens in pretty much every Touhou game I've played, both Windows and PC-98, so I think it is a hardware issue, but searches got me nowhere.

When I am playing, as long as I am not shooting, I can move around perfectly in every direction, cardinal and diagonal. If I'm shooting though, I can only move diagonally up-right or down-right. I can't move up-left or down-left.

I don't have a gamepad or anything like that, so I am stuck. My computer is a Sony laptop. I tried updating the drivers to no avail.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
Re: Cannot move left-diagonally while firing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:30:42 AM »
Your keyboard sucks. Get a better keyboard.

Some keyboards can not register when you press more than 2 or 3 keys. My laptop has the same issue. I have a logitech k120 that's really cheap, but works wonderfully for these games.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:37:08 AM »
Above post is pretty much correct, though your keyboard doesn't necessarily suck. It IS your keyboard's fault though, this is known as Ghosting. As far as I know, the only way to get a keyboard that will not do this for sure is to get a "mechanical" keyboard, but those cost a crapton. There are some keyboards out there that aren't mechanical that claim to be "anti-ghosting", and they generally are pretty good at avoiding these kinds of problems, but some still suffer from having very specific key patterns that just don't work for it. My CURRENT keyboard for example is a pretty darn good keyboard, I really like it, and it doesn't ghost even if I push like 8 keys at once of various locations... HOWEVER, it just doesn't like shift, z, and arrow keys together.. like I can push any 8 other keys, but shift, z, and ANY arrow key.. can't do it... fuck.

My last keyboard was a pile of dung, it ghosted nearly all the time with countless key sequences.. however it could handle multiple arrow keys, and shift, and z, and x all at once.

Problem is if you go to a computer specialty store and ask staff how a keyboard ghosts, they will most likely not have any experience outside of playing a WSAD game, seldom do people in NA (assuming you live there) play with z,x,shift, and arrow keys. So your options are limited to keyboards you can actually TRY before you buy...or a mechanical keyboard. Over here they are all like $140+... qq.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:14:26 AM »
Above post is pretty much correct, though your keyboard doesn't necessarily suck. It IS your keyboard's fault though, this is known as Ghosting. As far as I know, the only way to get a keyboard that will not do this for sure is to get a "mechanical" keyboard, but those cost a crapton. There are some keyboards out there that aren't mechanical that claim to be "anti-ghosting", and they generally are pretty good at avoiding these kinds of problems, but some still suffer from having very specific key patterns that just don't work for it. My CURRENT keyboard for example is a pretty darn good keyboard, I really like it, and it doesn't ghost even if I push like 8 keys at once of various locations... HOWEVER, it just doesn't like shift, z, and arrow keys together.. like I can push any 8 other keys, but shift, z, and ANY arrow key.. can't do it... fuck.

My last keyboard was a pile of dung, it ghosted nearly all the time with countless key sequences.. however it could handle multiple arrow keys, and shift, and z, and x all at once.

Problem is if you go to a computer specialty store and ask staff how a keyboard ghosts, they will most likely not have any experience outside of playing a WSAD game, seldom do people in NA (assuming you live there) play with z,x,shift, and arrow keys. So your options are limited to keyboards you can actually TRY before you buy...or a mechanical keyboard. Over here they are all like $140+... qq.

The keyboard I mentioned costs like 10 bucks, and it doesn't ghost. I've had it for well over a year now and got some really good runs with it, and it's generally just a really comfortable keyboard. It is unnecessary to spend shitloads of money on some mechanical keyboard to play video games when there's such a cheap alternative.

Drake

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 04:47:08 AM »
* Drake looks down at K120

yeah what they said

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 05:39:35 AM »
The keyboard I mentioned costs like 10 bucks, and it doesn't ghost. I've had it for well over a year now and got some really good runs with it, and it's generally just a really comfortable keyboard. It is unnecessary to spend shitloads of money on some mechanical keyboard to play video games when there's such a cheap alternative.

Yeah, I never tried your keyboard, and I don't know how well it works anti-ghost-wise with wsad style games or whatever. My point wasn't "go mechanical or go home" at all though. I was just merely pointing out that the only hard rule of keyboard which will never ghost with any game pretty much is a mechanical keyboard. I wasn't trying to say there aren't cheaper keyboards that will work for whatever game too, just that it's a bit hard to know for certain for yourself without first trying it, which may or may not be possible depending on your local computer retail stores.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:54:33 AM »
There's no need to because pretty much any keyboard over 10 bucks wont have such major issues. You just need to avoid keyboards made by no name companies, and wireless and multimedia keyboards. If the keyboard you bought does have issues, many stores let you pick a different one.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 01:11:27 AM »
My computer is a Sony laptop.

Same here! And I have the same problem.

And yes, it has to do with the way the keyboard is wired. Since it's a laptop, there's not much you can do about it, besides getting a gamepad or a joystick. They come in a range of prices and features, and IMO a PC gamer shouldn't be caught without one anyway.

On my desktop I use a Microsoft RT2300 keyboard, which has individually scanned keys and can be easily bought new in the $10 - $15 price range. But it uses the PS/2 keyboard port, and I haven't seen a laptop with one of those in the past decade.