Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 61496 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #360 on: May 06, 2015, 02:35:10 AM »
>"Here."
>Toss her the cloak.

« Reply #361 on: May 06, 2015, 02:53:22 AM »
>"Here."
>Toss her the cloak.

>You pull the cloak out of your pack and toss it to Kagerou. She catches the rumpled bundle and examines it for a couple moments before giving you a tired smile. "Thanks."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #362 on: May 06, 2015, 04:51:25 AM »
>Fish out some clothes and make them into a decent pillow. "You're welcome. Thanks for the company."

« Reply #363 on: May 06, 2015, 05:12:57 AM »
>Fish out some clothes and make them into a decent pillow. "You're welcome. Thanks for the company."

>You take out some of your spare clothes and set about making your makeshift bed just a little more comfortable for yourself.
>"You're welcome," Kagerou says quietly. "I know I haven't been very talkative."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #364 on: May 06, 2015, 05:45:43 AM »
>"You've been there. That's important. And you've been another pair of eyes and ears, which is priceless."

« Reply #365 on: May 06, 2015, 05:53:02 AM »
>"You've been there. That's important. And you've been another pair of eyes and ears, which is priceless."

>She smiles gently; there is a sort of self-effacing quality to it, but also contentment.
>"I don't know much further I'll be of any use to you, though. It's not often I'm out this far, and very rare I've gone much deeper. Last time I was more than a few miles past this spot was...." She shakes her head. "Years ago, I think. I might remember a few things, but I wouldn't trust to it much."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #366 on: May 06, 2015, 06:27:24 AM »
>"I'm not worried about things like that. Let's just try to get some sleep."

« Reply #367 on: May 06, 2015, 08:15:04 AM »
>"I'm not worried about things like that. Let's just try to get some sleep."

>"Right," she says, as if softly chiding herself. She is silent for a few moments, then walks over to the edge of the water and cups some to drink. Her gaze drifts slowly upward, staring distantly at the pale moon.
>You think you've made your sleeping area about as comfy as it's going to get tonight. The ground is honestly pretty soft here, if not altogether flat; you've slept on worse. And you're frankly approaching the point where falling asleep upright would also be acceptable.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #368 on: May 06, 2015, 03:11:45 PM »
>Let's beat that to the punch, then.

« Reply #369 on: May 06, 2015, 09:25:50 PM »
>Let's beat that to the punch, then.

>You have just enough awareness left in you to remember to take your nightly dose of medicine before lying down. Then you settle onto your bed of moss and bundled clothing, say goodnight, and are asleep practically before the words are out of your mouth.
>It is a dull and dreamless sleep, like being smothered in cotton wool. It feels like a very long time has passed when you become aware of your surroundings again. However long it's been, there is warm sunlight streaming through the curtain of leaves to rest gently upon your nose and the left half of your body. Somewhere, birds are singing cheerfully. You hear something small and swift scamper along the pebbles by the edge of the water. You, on the other hand, feel weary and dim. Your limbs ache. Lifting them is effortful, as though your whole body were draped in a leaden sheet. There is a stiffness in your right shoulder when you try to move it - perhaps from the ground or perhaps not. You remain still for a few minutes to muster enough will to roll onto your side and try to stretch; you grimace slightly as you work a few kinks out of the muscles in your neck and back.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #370 on: May 07, 2015, 06:25:21 AM »
>Groan, and try to get up. Take any medicines as necessary.

« Reply #371 on: May 07, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
>Groan, and try to get up. Take any medicines as necessary.

>You groan and slowly pull yourself to your feet. Joints crick. You give yourself a proper stretch and try to work out some of the stiffness from your muscles, then take your morning dose of medicine. Hasn't gotten any more palatable.
>You can see a large depression in the moss where Kagerou presumably slept, and the cloak you lent her is folded neatly up against the rock, but there is no other sign of your companion at the moment.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #372 on: May 07, 2015, 05:03:34 PM »
>Glance about for feetprints while trying to get some of this deadness off us.

« Reply #373 on: May 07, 2015, 10:47:44 PM »
>Glance about for feetprints while trying to get some of this deadness off us.

>You can see depressions in the moss where it was trodden on, coming in and out of the alcove. It's hard to say which of these is most recent and the rocky ground just beyond it is poorly-suited for leaving legible footprints, but a casual stroll to the water's edge turns up some footprints heading south, further down the glen.
>It's warm today; the heat of the sunlight upon you feels a lot more true to the season than it did yesterday evening. Glancing up at where it rests in the sky, you'd guess it's just a little more than an hour before noon. All things being equal, you'd have liked to be back on the trail before now, but the lead in your body suggests you probably needed all the sleep that you got.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #374 on: May 07, 2015, 11:05:14 PM »
>Call out: "Hey, you around?"

« Reply #375 on: May 07, 2015, 11:16:10 PM »
>Call out: "Hey, you around?"

>You call out, but there is no immediate response beyond startling a small finch which was investigating the waterside.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #376 on: May 07, 2015, 11:26:03 PM »
>Head back to camp.  Assuming she's not around, contemplate if the moss is suitable for leaving a message with a stick.

« Reply #377 on: May 08, 2015, 12:25:22 AM »
>Head back to camp.  Assuming she's not around, contemplate if the moss is suitable for leaving a message with a stick.

>You head back to camp, though in truth you'd only wandered maybe 20 feet away in the first place. While the moss there might be hard to leave legible messages in with a stick, there's dirt nearby which should be quite suitable. A cursory inspection finds no such message, however.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #378 on: May 08, 2015, 02:23:32 AM »
>Head out toward that glen.

« Reply #379 on: May 08, 2015, 02:49:13 AM »
>Head out toward that glen.

>You walk back out to the brook and follow the footsteps southward, feeling just a little bit more awake as you get your limbs moving, though the ache in your shoulder is soon replaced with one in your stomach - how many hours has it been now since you've eaten anything substantial?
>The footsteps are only intermittently visible, but there's nowhere else to go but straight unless one were to climb all the way back out of the glen. And, as it turns out, you're no more than a minute away from camp before your ears catch the sound of someone humming contently to themselves, just a little further on. There's a levity in the tone which you've never heard in Kagerou's voice, but you still think it's probably her.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #380 on: May 08, 2015, 03:11:24 AM »
>Close in on it.

« Reply #381 on: May 08, 2015, 03:47:29 AM »
>Close in on it.

>You continue onward, the lightsome stains of the voice growing steadily clearer. Once you round a gentle bend in the glen, you see a stooped figure a short distance away, apparently rummaging around in a cluster of bushes. Though you can't see her very well amid the foliage, it is unmistakably Kagerou.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #382 on: May 08, 2015, 03:58:29 AM »
>"Find something?"

« Reply #383 on: May 08, 2015, 04:32:15 AM »
>"Find something?"

>The humming stops the moment you speak. You see an ear flick in your direction. When Kagerou turns around to face you, the levity of her song is replaced by the guilt on her face.
>"Oh, I'm so sorry! I thought I'd be back before you woke up!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #384 on: May 08, 2015, 04:44:11 AM »
>"I should still be asleep, all told. So, find anything?"

« Reply #385 on: May 08, 2015, 04:50:27 AM »
>"I should still be asleep, all told. So, find anything?"

>"Blackberries," she says, holding out a handful. "I thought I remembered seeing some bushes out this way once. They're quite ripe!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #386 on: May 08, 2015, 05:03:51 AM »
>"Good! I could use some breakfast."
>Get some berries!

« Reply #387 on: May 08, 2015, 06:21:36 AM »
>"Good! I could use some breakfast."
>Get some berries!

>Kagerou seems relieved by your reaction. "There's plenty here for both of us," she says. "I was gathering some to bring back." She gestures to a small cloth bundle laden with dark ripe berries. "Help yourself."
>You go ahead and do so! The berries are plump and juicy, though still a touch bitter on your tongue. But still, they're not bad, and a decent break from dry preserved rations. Kagerou resumes picking them while you eat, though silently this time.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #388 on: May 08, 2015, 06:51:52 AM »
>Did we bring our pack? If so, do add some rations to the mix.
>"This is great, thanks!"

« Reply #389 on: May 08, 2015, 06:59:49 AM »
>Did we bring our pack? If so, do add some rations to the mix.
>"This is great, thanks!"

>You left it back it camp, since you didn't plan to go far, and thought your shoulders could use at least a few minutes in the morning without lugging it around.
>"Glad you like them," Kagerou says with a faint smile. "I hope you got a decent rest?"