Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 61477 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #270 on: May 06, 2014, 03:46:20 AM »
>Give her a smile in return. "Well, all right, then, no worries."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #271 on: May 06, 2014, 03:48:14 AM »
>"So I can just say I'm you're friend, and it'll work?"

« Reply #272 on: May 06, 2014, 04:11:00 AM »
>Give her a smile in return. "Well, all right, then, no worries."
>"So I can just say I'm you're friend, and it'll work?"

>"Well, I guess you could," Kagerou says reluctantly. "I'm sure we won't see her where we're going, though."

« Reply #273 on: May 06, 2014, 04:21:10 AM »
>"Shame, that. I've never met a mermaid before."
>We have heard they're supposed to be beautiful folk, right?
>If so, add, "I've heard they're a lovely people."

« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2014, 11:05:21 PM »
>We have heard they're supposed to be beautiful folk, right?

>You have heard them described as comely and charming, and also somewhat... amorous.

>"Shame, that. I've never met a mermaid before."
>If so, add, "I've heard they're a lovely people."

>"Well...." She trails off awkwardly, looking out across the water. Is she... blushing a little?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2014, 11:34:47 PM »
>Raise an eyebrow.

« Reply #276 on: May 15, 2014, 12:36:37 AM »
>Resist urge to grin a needling grin.

« Reply #277 on: May 15, 2014, 12:47:31 AM »
>Raise an eyebrow.
>Resist urge to grin a needling grin.

>You raise an eyebrow and suppress a grin, but Kagerou seems to be busy staring out at her surroundings and takes no notice of either expression, walking further along the shoreline in relative silence.
>After a short while she stops. You are nearly opposite the grotto entrance by this point.
>"Well, this is about as far as we can go without getting wet," she says.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #278 on: May 15, 2014, 12:58:38 AM »
>"Alright then. Thank you for everything."
>Assess our gear, how much of it is going to be bothered by diving into the water.

« Reply #279 on: May 15, 2014, 04:41:58 AM »
>"Alright then. Thank you for everything."
>Assess our gear, how much of it is going to be bothered by diving into the water.

>"It's the least I can do to help," she says. "Given the circumstances."
>Your pack is waterproof, and most of the gear outside of it doesn't care much one way or the other. Well, water probably isn't the greatest for Kumokirimaru's sheath in the long term, but you doubt a swim is going to cause the leather any real harm. Mostly, you're going to get your clothing soggy, and the night isn't particularly warm for the season as it is.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #280 on: May 15, 2014, 04:53:18 AM »
>Start talking off our boots and socks, and stowing them away.
>"You could have done a whole lot less than that, let me tell you."
>We don't happen to have something to dry off with, do we?

« Reply #281 on: May 15, 2014, 05:02:41 AM »
>Start talking off our boots and socks, and stowing them away.
>"You could have done a whole lot less than that, let me tell you."
>We don't happen to have something to dry off with, do we?

>You start to take off some of your clothing and store them where they won't get wet from the trip.
>Kagerou watches you take your shoes and socks off, then glances back at the water again and frowns. "I can get you a little further, at least," she says after a slight pause.
>The closest would be the spare clothing you have in your pack, though it isn't really very absorbent.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #282 on: May 15, 2014, 05:50:46 AM »
>"Oh?"

« Reply #283 on: May 15, 2014, 06:49:05 PM »
>Smile.
>"It's up to you."

« Reply #284 on: May 16, 2014, 03:05:42 AM »
>"Oh?"

>"I know the area beyond the grotto fairly well, at least for a little distance."

>Smile.
>"It's up to you."

>"I wouldn't feel right just going back home," she says determinedly.

« Reply #285 on: May 16, 2014, 03:28:54 AM »
>"Well, thanks again. I'm not about to tell you any different."
>Faithful dog. She gets a treat. Oh, wait, by the look on her face a minute ago, that mermaid probably handles that part.
>Follow our helpful guide.
>If the opportunity presents itself, "So, mind if I ask what she's like? Your mermaid friend, I mean."

« Reply #286 on: April 28, 2015, 09:55:48 PM »
After an extremely extended hiatus, Nazrin Quest is back in action! I promised that I would eventually bring this to a proper conclusion and so I shall. The pace of updates may be slower than the last time it was active, but I plan to keep it fairly steady.

And on the off chance that anyone new is glancing at this, don't let the regular participants intimidate you - this is open to anyone, and a categorical knowledge of events up to now is absolutely not required. If you have a question, just ask. If you feel like making idle in-game banter, I encourage it. Clever ideas are not required and don't worry about messing things up - I assure you that literally everyone else here has already done so, and I strive to a gentle GM.

>"Well, thanks again. I'm not about to tell you any different."

>Kagerou nods slowly as you stow your shoes and socks away in your pack, then asks cautiously "How waterproof is that?"

>Faithful dog. She gets a treat. Oh, wait, by the look on her face a minute ago, that mermaid probably handles that part.
>Follow our helpful guide.

>From the way she reacted earlier, you would bet your lunch that either the relationship between Kagerou and her mermaid 'friend' is a romantic one, or that Kagerou wishes it were.
>Given that she is currently standing still, perhaps it would be more productive to wait until she leads somewhere.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #287 on: April 28, 2015, 11:13:57 PM »
>"It's waterproof enough. Gonna give it a real test, though."

« Reply #288 on: April 28, 2015, 11:49:22 PM »
>"It's waterproof enough. Gonna give it a real test, though."

>"Is there any room in there for a few more things?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #289 on: April 29, 2015, 12:48:35 AM »
>Is there?
>If so, hold a hand out.

« Reply #290 on: April 29, 2015, 01:38:04 AM »
>Is there?
>If so, hold a hand out.

>You are a master of efficient packing; there is still room to spare yet.
>You hold out a hand and Kagerou appears to hesitate.
>"I didn't really pack for swimming, you see. I didn't expect to be going further than this when we left." She sounds almost apologetic, but there is faint redness to her cheeks. Her hands fidget with her dress.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #291 on: April 29, 2015, 01:41:45 AM »
>"Honey, you have more to show off than I do. Don't worry about it."

« Reply #292 on: April 29, 2015, 01:44:23 AM »
Considering it's been a few months, you'll permit me a couple of catch-up questions?

>Where are we again?
>How far are we from where we expect to find Yuuka?
>How much time is left on the death clock?
>Do we still have our potted plant?
>What exactly did we need from Yuuka?
>Do we know if Yuuka has a last name?

« Reply #293 on: April 29, 2015, 05:18:26 AM »
>Where are we again?
>You are standing at the bank of a wide river in the woods west of Isir's Cross, several hours past the fort itself, and beyond the Grau and Kagerou's home. You have paused opposite a large seam of smoky quartz embedded in the sheer rock of the far bank - a landmark which Kagerou told you lies almost directly above the entrance to an underwater passage which could cut many hours off your journey westward.

>How far are we from where we expect to find Yuuka?
>It will be another couple days' hiking before you reach the area where the garden is potentially located and your search for it can begin in earnest.

>How much time is left on the death clock?
>That is very hard for you to tell. Even Minoriko wasn't sure, and she was the only person with any relevant expertise to offer on the subject. "Maybe two or three weeks" was the best estimate you had to work with, and one of those weeks has already passed. The blight marks upon you continue to spread each day, and you're starting to feel noticeably weaker on your feet and slower in your stride, though perhaps not yet enough for someone else to notice. Whether you will continue to deteriorate at this pace or rapidly accelerate once you reach a certain threshold, you have no way of knowing.

>Do we still have our potted plant?
>You do, though it has not changed appreciably since its initial rapid burst of divinely-assisted growth. No flowers are forthcoming, and you are forced to suspect that this isn't likely to change in the near future.

>What exactly did we need from Yuuka?
>To complete the remedy you unearthed in an old tome in the basement of the Grand Academy's library, you will need the petals of a bittercress flower - a plant which blooms only once every seven years. While the plant itself is not rare, by conventional methods this would require you to wait patiently for several more years - something obviously not tenable in your current condition. The rumors were that Yuuka's garden was filled with all manner of flowers, kept perpetually in bloom no matter the season. Your hope is that one of these is bittercress, and that it too will be in bloom, even if it is the wrong year for it to be so. It's a long shot, but it might just be the best you have to work with.

>Do we know if Yuuka has a last name?
>Sekibanki, commander of the border fort at Isir's Cross, held suspicions that the Yuuka to whom this garden belonged was Yuuka Kazami, a notorious figure in the Wild Surge and potential mass-murderer, presumed dead 50 years ago. If so, you were warned that she was exceptionally dangerous, to the point that Sekibanki wouldn't trust an entire squadron of her soldiers to survive an encounter if Yuuka's intentions were hostile. Quite frankly, you'd much rather Sekibanki be wrong here.

>"Honey, you have more to show off than I do. Don't worry about it."

>Kagerou chuckles nervously. "I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or not."
>But after just another moment's pause, she takes a deep purposeful breath and quickly doffs her shawl and pulls her rather voluminous dress off over her head, folding them about as neatly as one can manage in a couple seconds. The linen slip beneath them is not exactly revealing, though the subtle suggestion of curve does corroborate what you just said to her, even though you try not to look too openly for the woman's own sake.
>After another moment's fussing with her dress, Kagerou hands the bundle of clothing to you, never quite making eye contact.

« Reply #294 on: April 29, 2015, 05:32:33 AM »
>Has the blight affected our five senses yet?
>Our pack proved to be perfectly watertight back when we fell in that underground river, didn't it?
>Can we gauge if it will rain soon?
>Why wasn't Horo naked? It'll upset the casuals.

« Reply #295 on: April 29, 2015, 07:49:25 AM »
>Has the blight affected our five senses yet?
>Our pack proved to be perfectly watertight back when we fell in that underground river, didn't it?
>Can we gauge if it will rain soon?
>Why wasn't Horo naked? It'll upset the casuals.

>You've felt sluggish and more easily winded, but thus far have not noticed any clear sensory impairments.
>It did. And you should hope it would; you paid good money for this thing! It was the very best you could afford on an apprentice's income, squirreled away over months, and should hopefully survive just about anything you can. No Seeker worth their salt should be traipsing around the untamed corners of the world without a proper pack!
>The sky has been virtually cloudless all evening; you don't anticipate any rain in the immediate future, anyway.
>Content yourself with the knowledge that no linen slip will survive a swim in a river without becoming form-clinging

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #296 on: April 29, 2015, 07:16:45 PM »
>Enough talk, let's strip down, stow everything away, and do this. Eyes on the road.

« Reply #297 on: April 29, 2015, 11:12:28 PM »
>Enough talk, let's strip down, stow everything away, and do this. Eyes on the road.

>You wordlessly accept Kagerou's clothing and stow it in your pack, then strip down to your own rather less modest if more practical undergarments. For a brief moment your throat seizes at the sight of all the blackened marks upon your body laid bare ? ragged brands on torso, arms, and legs, some grown so large now that they have almost woven together. Though Kagerou turned politely away when you started to undo your skirt, you can't help but feel exposed all the same ? less by your lack of clothing, and more by the vulnerability normally kept hidden beneath them.

>Whatever. You're here to fix this, not feel sorry for yourself.
>You swallow thickly, then shove the rest of your clothing away and close your pack up tight. Kagerou wades a few steps into the river, the edge of her slip trailing lazily upon the water's surface. A few moments later, you follow after her, the bed of the river rough and rocky beneath your bare feet.
>?Finished?? she asks without turning back around.
>?Lead the way.?

>The water's embrace is surprisingly cold, and Kagerou an unexpectedly strong swimmer ? you're not sure you could actually keep up with her if she hadn't slowed her pace to match your own. But as broad as the river swells here, it's still only a short swim before the both of you are treading water beneath that great seam of quartz. It is even more striking up close, the pale moonlight scattering brightly through its translucent surface; the crystal is the color of a dark brandy, seeming aglow with its own inner light.
>?The tunnel is about five feet below us,? Kagerou says, less shy with her modesty preserved beneath the rippling water. ?Take my hand and stay close. The tunnel's quite wide, but the ceiling is uneven and it's very dark, so try to keep your head low. If we move quickly, we should come up the other side in about seven or eight seconds. Are you ready??
>You nod your acknowledgement, and Kagerou nods back, then you take a deep breath, hold firm to Kagerou's hand, and dive.

>It is a curious sensation, being enveloped in water and cut off from the light and air, and knowing only in theory that new breath awaits you on the other side. For that brief moment when you are wholly beneath the rock, memories of tumbling wildly beneath the surface of a raging river seize upon your mind. Unpleasant memories. You had felt then as though you might die within those waters. But your fall into the depths of Yamame's cavern is half a world away now, you remind yourself. There is no fear here, no panic, only confidence and well-placed trust. The feel of Kagerou's hand clasped tightly in your own anchors you. Then you feel it rise, and rise with it.

>You crest the water's surface with head intact and draw a fresh breath to replace the old one. You are in a large hollow, cloistered beneath smooth walls of rock that jut against each other overhead like the fingers of some stony giant. A few thin gaps in their embrace let in narrow shafts of moonlight that fall in shimmering pools upon the watery floor. Here and there, the walls are traced with small blossoms of crystals, pale green and blue and iridescent black.
>Though the floor of much of this end of the hollow is covered in a damp sheen the deeper pool in which you are treading extends for only about a dozen more feet before rising abruptly to ankle-depth and gradually growing even shallower. A single open path meanders off a considerable distance in a vaguely westerly direction; beyond a hundred feet or so, it looks basically dry.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #298 on: April 29, 2015, 11:49:49 PM »
>Exhale with great force. We have earned it.
>"You okay?"

« Reply #299 on: April 30, 2015, 02:24:17 AM »
>Exhale with great force. We have earned it.
>"You okay?"

>You take another deep breath. Air is good.
>"I'm fine," Kagerou says. "You?"