Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)  (Read 61481 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 13)
« Reply #150 on: April 11, 2014, 01:21:35 AM »
>"That's something I didn't know, at least."
>Consider where the hill is in relation to the grotto she mentioned.

« Reply #151 on: April 11, 2014, 02:31:48 AM »
>"That's something I didn't know, at least."

>"And it's... possible I've been somewhere around here a couple times." She gestures along the southeastern edge of the garden region. "There isn't really much to tell it apart from everything else around there, really."

>Consider where the hill is in relation to the grotto she mentioned.

>The hill is far to the west of the grotto, as is everything in the garden region, and also a decent bit north - probably two day's hike, all in all.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #152 on: April 11, 2014, 03:54:09 AM »
>"Let me ask you something different. How well do you know the faeries in that village near here?"

« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2014, 04:38:57 AM »
>"Let me ask you something different. How well do you know the faeries in that village near here?"

>"Some of them, a little," she says. "A few of them come and go out this way fairly often, and there's more of them out in town; I can't keep most of them straight, though."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #154 on: April 11, 2014, 04:51:54 AM »
>"The most specific information I got about this was from a faerie at the university in Val Razua named Dai. Heard of her?"

« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2014, 04:55:29 AM »
>Did we ever get her full name, or was it always just 'Dai'?
>If we got more, add it.

« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2014, 05:02:02 AM »
>Did we ever get her full name, or was it always just 'Dai'?
>If we got more, add it.

>That was the only name that was mentioned.

>"The most specific information I got about this was from a faerie at the university in Val Razua named Dai. Heard of her?"

>Kagerou shakes her head. "I've only been to the city once or twice."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2014, 07:11:35 AM »
>"Figured you might have met her around here. What with her being a faerie they let hang around the wizard's college and all. Anyways, she seemed to suggest that some of the faeries had actually been there. What I was hoping was you'd have some idea whether they were something like reliable, or if this was just another flight of fancy from them."

« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2014, 07:14:50 AM »
>"Figured you might have met her around here. What with her being a faerie they let hang around the wizard's college and all. Anyways, she seemed to suggest that some of the faeries had actually been there. What I was hoping was you'd have some idea whether they were something like reliable, or if this was just another flight of fancy from them."

>"If this was... um, which part?" She looks a little lost.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »
>"Is it worth my time to go there and ask them, or what?"

« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2014, 07:39:02 AM »
>"Is it worth my time to go there and ask them, or what?"

>"For directions to this garden you're looking for? I suppose it's possible?" Then her ears perk up in mild alarm. "Oh, the tea! Excuse me one moment."
>She gets up from the table to go attend to the kettle.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #161 on: April 11, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »
>Let her tend to that.

« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2014, 08:22:24 AM »
>Let her tend to that.

>You give Kagerou a few moments, while she takes the pot off the stove and pours the tea into a pair of plain ceramic  mugs.
>"How do you like it?" she asks, teaspoon poised above a small jar of sugar.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2014, 09:05:35 AM »
>"Sweet, please."

« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2014, 09:13:50 AM »
>"Sweet, please."

>Kagerou pauses a moment, as if to consider how far she should take this, then spoons a generous helping of sugar into the tea and gives it a stir. Repeating the action with the other cup, she brings them both back to the table and hands one to you with a somehow still-awkward smile. "Here you go."
>The tea is hot and smells sharply of cinnamon.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »
>Sip!
>"I suppose the question is, would you trust 'em enough that it's not a waste of time?"

« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
>Sip!
>"I suppose the question is, would you trust 'em enough that it's not a waste of time?"

>You take a sip of the tea. Youch... still too hot for you. Kagerou seems alright with hers, though.
>She considers this a moment as she nurses her tea. "I don't know. With someone's life on the line... I don't think I would unless I had to. But that's still a lot of territory to search. I could ask a friend or two, but I don't know there's time for it; I mean, I doubt you want to wait another day before leaving, right?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »
>"I'd really rather not unless you're very sure these friends would know something."

« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2014, 10:57:35 AM »
>"I'd really rather not unless you're very sure these friends would know something."

>She shakes her head. "I'm not, sorry. I don't think very many people are in the habit of going that far out, and a garden is, well... probably pretty easy to miss in so much forest, anyway." She frowns. "I feel like you've come to the wrong place."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2014, 11:05:15 AM »
>Blow on the tea, then sip a little more.
>"How about this. What's the fastest and easiest way to get to the faerie village from here?"

« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2014, 01:22:00 AM »
>"Oh, I wouldn't say that. You've given me more details than I had before, that's always a help. Plus, I appreciate the hospitality."

« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2014, 02:00:48 AM »
>Blow on the tea, then sip a little more.
>"How about this. What's the fastest and easiest way to get to the faerie village from here?"

>You blow on the tea, then take another small sip. Still a bit hot, but drinkable.
>"Overland? Probably take the road southwest of the fort and get a boat across the lake, I guess. It would be quicker to just follow the river upstream if you could fly, but the hills that way are very hard climbing."

>"Oh, I wouldn't say that. You've given me more details than I had before, that's always a help. Plus, I appreciate the hospitality."

>"Oh, well that's the least I can do," she says. "How's the tea?"

« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2014, 02:19:00 AM »
>"Quite good, thank you. I've always liked cinnamon."
>Comparison. How quickly would we be able to travel with a guide? I mean, would we move faster and make better time if we traveled with someone to serve as a guide, or would we be better off unfettered by a companion?

« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2014, 03:24:55 AM »
>"Quite good, thank you. I've always liked cinnamon."
>Comparison. How quickly would we be able to travel with a guide? I mean, would we move faster and make better time if we traveled with someone to serve as a guide, or would we be better off unfettered by a companion?

>She smiles; perhaps a little unguarded for once. "I'm glad you like it."
>Surely that depends on how effective a guide they are, and how quickly they move themselves? You expect you could make better time than the average person, but you imagine anyone worth using as a guide ought to be able to move at least as quickly - otherwise why would you be using them in the first place?

« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2014, 04:27:29 AM »
>Allow me to rephrase.
>Based on what we've heard about Kagerou back in town, and from what she's told us thus far, do we get the impression that she could serve the role of an effective guide to us in this case? Never mind if she will or not, we'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2014, 04:53:54 AM »
>Allow me to rephrase.
>Based on what we've heard about Kagerou back in town, and from what she's told us thus far, do we get the impression that she could serve the role of an effective guide to us in this case? Never mind if she will or not, we'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

>Not much was said about Kagerou's wilderness skills, other than that she chose to live out here and travels back and forth to town fairly regularly, which implies at least some facility. You don't know how fast she moves, but familiarity alone ought to give her some advantages on you, particularly in your current lackluster physical condition. However, this might not hold if you were to enter territory she was not familiar with. Though she did say she reached that hill within the garden search area, you don't know if it means she could reach it again without issue, or - more pertinently - with significantly less issue than you already could by following the map. You suspect that unless you are accompanied by someone with unusual skills or specific knowledge, their presence would not be a strong help to the pace you could keep. It's possible she could know a few more shortcuts for the first part of the way though, you guess.

« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2014, 05:55:07 AM »
>Plus she brews a good tea, that's always a plus for a companion. Especially in a touhou game, eh.
>Grin wryly. "'sides, I've got a long way to go and not much time to get there. It's good to be able to have a nice cup of tea before getting into the worst of it."
>It's the little things.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2014, 05:56:13 AM »
So, now we make a choice. Do we go for the faeries, or dive into the unknown?

« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2014, 06:00:59 AM »
Honestly, at this point, I say we just dive into it. Since we haven't found anyone who knows where Yuuka is by this point, I have to assume there's something between here and there that will point us there, or that there's something in the garden we can lock onto and douse for. I don't have enough faith in the reliability of fairies to think they'll be anymore help than the dullahan or the werewolf.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2014, 06:13:12 AM »
The only thing that gives me any faith in the faeries at all is that Daiyousei claims there are faeries who have seen it and seen Yuuka. And she knew Yuuka by name.