Author Topic: Xbox 180: Now with DRM Backpedaling  (Read 29817 times)

Re: Xbox One
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2013, 04:51:00 AM »
Sony's official response on how to share games.
i think this the third time this has been posted

it has also been the 30th time ive watched it :V

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2013, 04:56:43 AM »
Oh, indeed it has. Well with how fresh E3 stuff is I felt it appropriate to post it in the xbox thread anyway since it's such an amusing jab at microsoft.

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2013, 07:29:12 AM »
This thread can be locked now.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »
Good job M$ you fixed the problem before it totally killed you.

M$ just removed Online check ups, DRM games, and all games can be shared or played on any console without worry of region locking or internet connection.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »
So they aren't complete idiots after all. Funny that they had to backpedal to remain in the game though for having gone through with the idea initially. So maybe now the "console war" won't be as one sided in favor of Sony.

Now while I am of the playstation sort I do not hate the Xbox franchise. I do however hate Microsoft as a company.

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »

This is basically Microsoft.

Too bad the damage has been done, looong done. And a lot of it is still there. [Like you still need internet to play the XBoxOne in the first place, just you can play non-online games without the 24 hour check. NOTE THE 24 HOUR CHECK IS STILL THERE, and the region lock...]

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2013, 09:50:13 PM »
gj MS, you might just actually sell some consoles this year

I see what they were trying to do with the new system. but competing with Steam is extremely tough, and the devs didn't make it any easier on themselves by adding more restrictions and costs.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2013, 09:52:05 PM »

Too bad the damage has been done, looong done. And a lot of it is still there. [Like you still need internet to play the XBoxOne in the first place, just you can play non-online games without the 24 hour check. NOTE THE 24 HOUR CHECK IS STILL THERE, and the region lock...]

They said that there will be no region restrictions and a Internet connection is only required for the first time the console is set up. But I agree it's going to be hard to win back soo many people who lost respect for them because of this. But who knows M$ could pull a PS3 and make a complete turn around.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2013, 09:57:45 PM »
I really don't care for M$ but I am happy that our little protest was effective.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2013, 10:00:19 PM »
Seems like we will still be going to be watched 24/7 by the kinetic, though.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2013, 10:17:59 PM »
Seems like we will still be going to be watched 24/7 by the kinetic, though.

Yeah, I thought the Ceiling Kinetic Is Watching You Play Games With Too Many People thing was a pretty big deal. Shame they're holding firm on that.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2013, 11:44:08 PM »
Indeed. The whole Kinect angle still remains as my own personal deal-breaker for buying this system, no matter what Microsoft says at this point. Surveillance fears aside, it's simply easier to play games by pushing buttons on a controller rather than flailing around in front of a motion sensor. I know that is supposed to immerse the player into the game, as well as be Micosoft's "solution" to childhood obesity and what not, but methinks it will never take off as the main player-input of games no matter how much they try to shoehorn it in. Xbox One is still Xbox 360 + Kinect, even with all of this backpedaling to save face.

Side note curiosity: Does the WiiU still feature motion controls via the Wiimote, or is that console purely about that second screen peripheral? In other words, is Nintendo phasing out the motion control input that they brought into the forefront? Forgive my ignorance, I never got around to playing a Wii, and never really followed its development nor that of the WiiU. :V

Quote from: Xbox report
After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again.
This is good news. No doubt that this is Microsoft's answer to the "Always on" and "24-hour check-in" internet issues that many people have had with Xbone. However, the people that don't have an internet connection, or a broadband connection, still won't be able to connect to do this preliminary setup. These potential Xbone customers are still left in the dark, so to speak. Microsoft is swaying in the right direction for whatever reason, but this issue isn't quite resolved.

Anyway, all of these reports are merely claims and declarations. None of us will truly know what works, or what hoops Microsoft and/or Sony will make us jump through until the actual consoles are being bought. That's just the skeptic in me talking. If Sony actually delivers on the "backwards-compatibility stretching back to PS2 games", then they'll most definitely be receiving my money in the future. Gotta catch up on some of those PS3 exclusives. :V

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
They shot gamers in the foot and now they bandaged it up.
still doesn't change the fact we're angry at them, and that the kinect thing is still there and I don't want to pay for it.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2013, 01:45:21 AM »
Please change thread title to the XBox 180.

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: Xbox 180: Now with DRM Backpedaling
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2013, 01:54:39 AM »
done

Athrel

• v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
  • v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2013, 02:05:47 AM »
Side note curiosity: Does the WiiU still feature motion controls via the Wiimote, or is that console purely about that second screen peripheral? In other words, is Nintendo phasing out the motion control input that they brought into the forefront? Forgive my ignorance, I never got around to playing a Wii, and never really followed its development nor that of the WiiU. :V

The touch screen controller is its main form of control and has some motion control capabilities as well. wiimotes still work with it for backwards compatibility as well as for multiplayer functions of some wiiu games I believe. 

Shadoweh

• I will ahn~ vote count for you
  • The STRONGEST Day Effect
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2013, 02:07:28 AM »
You are a beautiful human being. Now people are totting this as a victory for the XBox. Wasn't their entire selling point the TV's and THE CLOUD? Which naturally was bullshit. My question is, how does this work? They obviously already built the system around installing so.. will the console still be a brick when this generation is over? Some people are also saying they could just flip the DRM switch back on too.

I like how the post is all about how inventive and how nice they are to listen to feedback, instead of  --> Xbox :flamingv:

Kitten4u: "I'll say it plainly: THERE IS NO WAY SHADOWEH IS SCUM!" - A Balanced Game of Mafia

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2013, 02:43:20 AM »
I like how the post is all about how inventive and how nice they are to listen to feedback, instead of  --> Xbox :flamingv:

It's called "damage control," regardless of how bad of a job they're doing or how wrong they are.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2013, 02:59:13 AM »
The fact that they even thought about the DRM stuff in the first place still irks the hell out of me to not buy one.

Also because I don't want a Kinect

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2013, 03:03:40 AM »
The fact that they even thought about the DRM stuff in the first place still irks the hell out of me to not buy one.

it's because they want to be Steam

but they do not know how.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2013, 06:07:33 AM »
it's because they want to be Steam

but they do not know how.
I'm sure it was mentioned before, but Steam has more competition then Xbox, which drives PC game prices way down, and piracy is actually somewhat of a problem for them (DRM actually encourages piracy, says Gabe Newell), whereas the old Xbone had to compete with other actual consoles, and PC ports of Xbone games, and more or less could control the price of games on their console.

Not to mention their used games policies were illegal in the EU anyway. (Steam refund policy is also illegal in the EU but I don't hear about PC game returns very often)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:09:48 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2013, 06:56:41 AM »
They said that there will be no region restrictions and a Internet connection is only required for the first time the console is set up. But I agree it's going to be hard to win back soo many people who lost respect for them because of this. But who knows M$ could pull a PS3 and make a complete turn around.

No region restrictions for sharing games. The 21 country region restrictions and lock for the XBoxOne itself will still be there. You still can't buy or use an XBoxOne in over half the freaking EU. It means someone in Japan can share a game with someone in the PAL regions, which usually can't be done. [Japanese copies usually don't run on say, EU consoles]

It still requires an Internet connection to use at all as well. Even for offline games. Even if it is a one-off. So you still REQUIRE a connection to play at all, even offline games. At least if MS's servers screw up people will be able to play some games, but how many games these days have NO online features?

Take what MS is saying they are doing with a pinch of salt, a lot of the issues are still there.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:01:53 AM by [NekoNeko]Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2013, 10:34:48 AM »
I'm sure it was mentioned before, but Steam has more competition then Xbox, which drives PC game prices way down, and piracy is actually somewhat of a problem for them (DRM actually encourages piracy, says Gabe Newell), whereas the old Xbone had to compete with other actual consoles, and PC ports of Xbone games, and more or less could control the price of games on their console.

Not to mention their used games policies were illegal in the EU anyway. (Steam refund policy is also illegal in the EU but I don't hear about PC game returns very often)
Steam are in the clear, you agree to T&C before purchase. The big thing about disk sales is you agree to any EULA etc. after having purchased (thus first sale supersedes them).

Subject to regulation 9, prior to the conclusion of a contract for the supply of services, the supplier shall inform the consumer in writing or in another durable medium which is available and accessible to the consumer that, unless the parties agree otherwise, he will not be able to cancel the contract under regulation 10 once the performance of the services has begun with his agreement.
Steam follows this, and service is instant upon purchase, so they don't need to offer returns.

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2013, 12:41:01 PM »
UPDATE!!!
Original Uncensored First Draft: http://www.dorkly.com/article/52521/don-mattricks-first-draft-of-the-xbox-one-update-announcement

Official Update: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

This has got me thinking...thinking I'm still buying the Wii U and PS4.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
UPDATE!!!
Original Uncensored First Draft: http://www.dorkly.com/article/52521/don-mattricks-first-draft-of-the-xbox-one-update-announcement

This is just too priceless.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Kingault

• Insert witty description here.
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »
Please change thread title to the XBox 180.

Why is this a thing?

Xbone is much better, and still fitting.

Eh, whatever.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:08:56 PM by Kingault »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2013, 01:45:55 PM »
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:57:16 PM by trancehime »

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• ??? X
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2013, 02:17:50 PM »
UPDATE!!!

This made my day and it's only 9:17AM.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
UPDATE!!!

I know this is probably just a huge joke post but:

>What kind of consumer group would want "choices" and "options that are different from one another" anyhow?

dude you can keep all your silly ~*~cloud networking~*~ and ~*~voice commands~*~ and ~*~steam-like-ness~*~ and still lift the ridiculous restrictions; they're not mutually exclusive. What we've been saying all along is that we weren't given a choice on that and you restricted everything just so developers got more money instead of gamestop execs we get that

but my question is

why are you punishing the consumer for another company's bullshit? Attack the company, not us :V

Drake

« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Yeah, at this point there have been various criticisms (like above and like this) over the giant wave of backlash from gamers, accusing people of not considering why these sorts of decisions were made in the first place, and basically shutting down the possibility of positive change in the gaming world because people just dislike change. And to an extent, it's valid. I'm sure a vast majority of gamers like to hop on a hate bandwagon and criticize the implementation of things with loaded baggage like "DRM" and "surveillance" or whatever, without really thinking about what its purpose was, what benefit it could be or why it was bad to begin with.

the thing is that these features in and of themselves aren't the reason why it's awful, so I am a bit iffed at how Microsoft just goes "ok fine we scrapped it" rather than take the more legitimate criticisms more seriously and wade around the massive blob of whining

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -