Author Topic: Xbox 180: Now with DRM Backpedaling  (Read 29802 times)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
Xbox 180: Now with DRM Backpedaling
« on: May 21, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
lol
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:51:53 AM by Matsyzono Love »

PX

• School Idol?
Re: Xbox One
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »
Now with AI! Like fishes that move!

And no backwards compatibility!

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 06:42:16 PM »
"Another Microsoft unit, 343 Studios, revealed it would release a live-action Halo television series co-developed with movie director Steven Spielberg."

Huh.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »
Relevant Techcrunch article.
Kinect is part of the package, and it?s a voice controlled experience from power on throughout the entire process. Your voice cues the Xbox to your user profile and sets up all your custom options. Then, you can dictate activities to Xbox One, sort of like how many imagined Apple would do their own Apple TV with Siri.
Wow, there's a glowing endorsement if I ever heard one.

You know what this means, right? More of this:

EDIT: Looks like this great news keeps getting better!
Microsoft has confirmed that all Xbox One games will require mandatory installation onto the system's hard drive and, to install the same disc onto another user's drive, a fee must be paid.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:42:02 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
Read lots of articles about this announcement and I'm not surprised at all by most of these. MSFT is definitely using the new Xbox as its end-all-be-all home entertainment solution, which definitely expands its usage beyond just gaming.

Won't be getting this at all, myself. However, this (thanks to use of AMD APUs plus maybe a Win8-derived kernel) can facilitate more cross-platform titles and gameplay - yay for possibly more games for us PC types! Plus the lack of backward compatibility with X360 titles and initial intents to keep selling the older console might hint at a two-prong approach for different budgets - much like Nintendo's use of Wii and DSi sales alongside those of the Wii U and 3DS.

...yeah I might be looking at this from too much of a tech analyst perspective :V
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:22:26 PM by クアッカ Legume Appraisal »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »
This announcement sure was a great day for those who still watch Live TV! All two of them!

Not to mention, the used games thing. Imagine if this Xbox will have another Red Ring of Death Bs. Good luck rebuying all your games when you have to replace your console!

But otherwise, sports games and Call of Duty. (I loved how they talked about the Super-Special Awesome New Technology of the New Engine, like PHYSICS and LOD MODELS. Jeez, welcome to 2010.)

Meh on every level. PS4 all the way.

The only good thing about this was MocapDog.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:24:11 PM by Solais »

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »
Not to mention, the used games thing. Imagine if this Xbox will have another Red Ring of Death Bs. Good luck rebuying all your games when you have to replace your console!

While their stance on used games is confusing and unfortunate, I should at least say that the xbox one will work like a steam account in terms of tying games to it.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 08:36:46 PM »

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »

JT

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »
"Xbox One?" Did they name it after the number of units it'll sell in Japan?

I'm pretty sure this is one of my favorite gifs of all time.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »
Am I the only one who is concerned about energy waste with these always listening/always on/whatever electrogadgets? I mean even on my ps3, I shut off the back switch because I don't like seeing that red light on all the time, listening for my wireless controller's input.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »
It just keeps getting worse. Apparently it now uninstalls if you sell your game and someone else installs it.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 09:50:46 PM »
It just keeps getting worse. Apparently it now uninstalls if you sell your game and someone else installs it.
Well doing that is piracy on your part for not uninstalling first (as per almost every software licence ever), so i'm okay with that.

It's charging that other guy a fee that's the issue.

There isn't some option to not install games (if I'm reading all the news correctly), games cannot be run off the disk.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »
Well doing that is piracy on your part for not uninstalling first (as per almost every software licence ever), so i'm okay with that.

It's charging that other guy a fee that's the issue.

There isn't some option to not install games (if I'm reading all the news correctly), games cannot be run off the disk.

They're actively going into my system and uninstalling stuff on it? What if the game is stolen, or letting a friend borrow it?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:14:53 PM by PX »

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »
http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825
Look like it might be worse than we thought.

Used disks will have to pay the full price of the game to install, though there's talk of allowing online trades (sans fees) somehow.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 10:19:34 PM »
Guess the days of taking your new game over to your friend's house to play over the weekend are over @ M$.

Just bring your entire xbox.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:39:45 PM by Dlanor A. Knox »

JT

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 11:06:51 PM »
Whatever, a hardmod or other workaround will eventually surface anyway. Fuck the po-leece.

Tengukami

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 11:08:06 PM »
A friend of mine from another forum managed to find a list of the games that will come bundled with the Xbox One:
Halo Sports
Call of Halo
Call of Sports
Sports of Duty
Call of Duty: Sports Halo
Grand Theft Halo
Call of Tony Hawk
LEGO Halo Sports: Star Wars

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 11:34:43 PM »
Yawn another generation I might skip entirely o/

I totally didn't invest anything this gen to begin with and I think this next gen isn't giving me much reason to embrace it.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Tengukami

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »
Do you like to play Xbox offline?

TOO BAD

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 11:49:17 PM »
As long as they don't screw it up, Sony has the 8th Generation won.

AJ's epic rant:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0
(Some language)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:54:38 PM by Aya Reiko »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 12:09:27 AM »
As long as they don't screw it up, Sony has the 8th Generation won.

you're counting on Sony not to screw things up

Given their track record in the past couple of years or so, that's a tough thing to live up to

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Tengukami

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 12:11:22 AM »
Do you live outside the US, and are curious to watch Xbox One Live TV?

TOO BAD

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 12:12:02 AM »
>used game fees
>game uninstalls if it's already on another console
Welp, that's a shot in the balls wallet.

>Xbox listening to you while you sleep
Creepy, but I don't think it's gonna interpret my snoring as a prompt to turn on the TV mode.

>new controller
I feel kind of mixed about this, the Guide button feels like it's way too out of reach. I just hope the d-pad is way better than the 360's d-pad.

>EA sports, Halo movie TV series, Call of Doodie
This, this was the biggest problem I foresaw with the Xbox One. It ain't got no games. While the multimedia stuff is useful, most people are gonna use a gaming console to play video games. None of the stuff they showed so far appeals to me. Sports? Forget it. Halo? Unless I was a die-hard Halo fan, I'll pass. They should have announced Halo 5 instead, or some other prequel/midquel game. CoD? Pfffft, That has to be one of the most overrated series of all time. Forza? Didn't like the repetitiveness of Forza 3, so I'll pass. Quantum Break? Looks...Interesting, but it's gonna take more than a half-assed trailer with barely any gameplay to convince me to buy the console (I pray it goes Multiplatform...)

So far, it seems like Microsoft will be left in the dust. Nintendo's rebuilding momentum for the Wii U, and the PS4 looks appealing with its share options and a focus on getting indie talent onto the PSN. Plus, there's Media Molecule's sculpting tool, which looks very cool now that I look at it again.

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 12:31:54 AM »
more relevant than ever

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 12:33:11 AM »
I was going to give the Xbox One a chance but after getting a synopsis of the event I definitely won't be getting it.

EDIT: Apparently for those 360 users who watched the reveal with their Kinect plugged in experienced some problems with the device taking orders from the live stream which caused things like cutting off the stream or opening Xbox Live. Classy M$.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4353010/kinect-trouble-xbox-one-reveal
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:38:56 AM by InfiniteWave »

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:33 AM »
If I had any doubt between the Xbox One and PS4, these articles have officially slain them.

Now it's a case of PS4 Vs Wii U, though the PS4 is in the lead by a lot since the only reason I'd get a Wii U is Bayonetta 2 and I'm sure as fuck not buying a console only for one game, and a fiasco, at that.

It seems like Microsoft deliberately WANTS to make a bad console, I mean, how else could they make such a shitty one? lol.

LadyScarlet

• Too lazy to make this a gif right now
  • Still scumming for a good pull
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 12:43:04 AM »
Time to convince my parents to let me buy a PS4 and to finish Tales of Vesperia before said console comes out. This console... I would state my opinion, but everyone else already did.

By the way, I saw this comic back during the SimCity release controversy. Notice how the console looks suspiciously like an Xbox. Now it's actually happening. D8
My Youtube Channel. I mostly upload Hisoutensoku videos.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 02:30:31 AM »
Now it's a case of PS4 Vs Wii U, though the PS4 is in the lead by a lot since the only reason I'd get a Wii U is Bayonetta 2 and I'm sure as fuck not buying a console only for one game, and a fiasco, at that.
PS4 looks like it's going to be the place to go for technologically powerful games this generation.  WiiU will likely end up being for that ~dozen really fucking amazing titles you can't get anywhere else, just like the Wii, Gamecube, and N64 before it generally were.

The point is, XBox One is a terrible acronym because now we know everyone fawning over it will be joked about as XBoners