Author Topic: Only parts of game seem to be showing up? Any help greatly appreciated!  (Read 3132 times)

I have been wanting to get into touhou forever as a fan of this genre of games, and finally sat down and (attempted) to figure out how to dualboot my computer with osx and xp (I currently only own an OSX computer). After failing that, I went to trying virtualbox, which I have had some success with.

-I installed Direct X 9
-I tried playing versions 7-9, all (as someone who has never played these games) appear to be missing a large portion of what I am supposed to be able to see.

I am hoping someone has some grasp of how to fix this, otherwise I will back up my hard drive, format it, and attempt to partition it again and install XP that way.

When I start the game I get here:

and then by hitting enter or (sometimes z), I end up at this screen:

From here, if I hit (enter I believe, possibly z) it would SEEM that the game has started. The music changes, z and x make unique sounds, and it sounds like I am being shot at.

So long story short, has anyone ever encountered anything like this?

Momiji

• Cya
Re: Only parts of game seem to be showing up? Any help greatly appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 07:18:35 PM »
Unfortunately it won't work in Virtualbox, because Virtualbox doesn't do DirectX passthrough to your video card unless you're running on a Windows host.  This is probably what's causing the problems with the game graphics.  Your best best on OS X is to either install Wine on OS X or dual-boot Windows.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:45:29 PM »
If you need OSX help, I have successfully installed Wine on MacOSX and I will gladly help you with what I can if you need assistance. Feel free to PM me or ask questions; I'll try to answer then (although I will net be able to access my computer over the next week).

This assumes that you have Xcode, X11, and Snow Leopard or higher (I use Lion, can't help too much with Mountain Lion). It also assumes that you have a terminal.app application somewhere in your Utilities folder.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:20:51 AM »
Yeah, best bet is do what they said.

I've seen this happen myself though on Windows. It was something in the config that made that stuff disappear. But, this isn't exactly the same thing that you have happening.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »
Feel free to PM me or ask questions; I'll try to answer then (although I will net be able to access my computer over the next week).
PMing kind of defeats the purpose of this forum; please post here because it may help someone else or uncover unknown issues, even if the problem's already covered in another thread.  Thanks~

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 02:17:37 PM »
Have you tried reinstalling the games?
Getting clipped since Feb. 2012.

Youtube

Tumblr

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
Have you tried reinstalling the games?

If you're on OSX, you cannot 'Install' Windows applications. If he is using Windows, it is possible, but MacOSX cannot read Windows executables.

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »
Well he didn't say that he downloaded the english patches or the update patches so I'm pretty certain that he downloaded the games.
Getting clipped since Feb. 2012.

Youtube

Tumblr

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
so I'm pretty certain that he downloaded the games.

That's Taboo. Don't say any more on that subject.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »
I'm pretty certain that he downloaded the games.
That's a pretty big leap of logic.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 09:26:05 PM »
Thanks for the help so far guys. I installed wine and xquartz (x11 for mountain lion) and the games (at least perfect cherry blossom... all i tried before coming straight here again) are now working but no sound. Any ideas?

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 10:47:41 PM »
Did you run 'winecfg' beforehand?  You shouldn't need to, but see if it shows something in "Driver diagnostics, Selected driver:" under the Audio tab.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 11:40:40 PM »
The audio in winecfg should be set to coreaudio. That's the driver that Mac OS X uses for it's audio.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 02:21:17 AM »

Cant figure out how to change the selected driver but that definitely seems to be the problem... Awesome how helpful / quick everyone is being.

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 03:18:24 AM »
upon further research winebottler and the newest OS the sound does not work, I was able to get it to finally work with wineskin winery. Now to play all night. Thanks a lot, look forward to ~*~joining the community~*~

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 08:47:49 PM »
...Ahh... Yeah. Don't use Winebottler's Wine unless you are absolutely required to. I assume that you're using the now-ancient Wine 1.4.1, right? Soon after that, Marine Benefit will break.