Author Topic: [Art] Silfeith's Learning Lair  (Read 4103 times)

Mootsies

• There is a reaction? Good.
  • I want to taste Nuetella.
[Art] Silfeith's Learning Lair
« on: October 12, 2012, 12:07:19 PM »
So, here I am. Finally confident enough to starts on my own art thread  :V
I've just recently trying to draw, and I'm still learning the ropes for now, hopefully I'll get motivated enough to keep on drawing  :V
I'm currently learning on anatomy, and how to do coloring, I'm currently using SAI, and I'll sometimes post more traditional paper based doodling. 
Rather than spam-posting on Post your artwork thread, I figured I'll just dump my artwork here  :3
Criticism would be really appreciated, as well as honest opinion.
I'll also take on request, but with my limited skill, I can only take on request on drawing characters, and not a specific pose.
Been busy with university life, so I can only draw seriously on weekend or so.

Anyway, here's my first (uncompleted) sketch (only one tho', will post more later)

image link
I'm still bad at drawing hands, been reading about it, but I can't seem to grasp the concept, oh well..
EDIT : edited the thumbnail
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:59:30 AM by The Indecisive Scientist »

Accomplishment? Let's see :
EoSD normal 1cc (Marisa A). PCB normal 1cc (Sakuya A), EX clear. IN normal 1cc (Border Team), EX clear. MoF normal 1cc (Reimu A,B), EX clear (Reimu A). UFO normal 1cc (Reimu B). TD normal 1cc (Reimu and Marisa)

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
Re: [Art] Silfeith's Learning Lair
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
How are you "learning on" anatomy? I feel like that would help me a lot too.

Mootsies

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:26:49 PM »
I'm reading this among others, and I tried to do a skeleton when I started drawing.
I usually look at real human posture as reference, (link, a little NSFW) and I pay attention to scaling the proportions.
It takes a lot of time, but I realized after a lenghty process of drawing different skeleton posture, I got better at it.
Well, what's important is to keep on trying and practicing, but believe me, tutorial on real-life sketches helps better than your usual how to draw manga tutorial.
Anyway, I'm still a newbie at this, and I'm only giving my opinion on how this way helps me got better.
Oh and for any artists out there, CMIIW.  :3
Edit : Placed the NSFW on the link
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:55:49 PM by The Indecisive Scientist »

EoSD normal 1cc (Marisa A). PCB normal 1cc (Sakuya A), EX clear. IN normal 1cc (Border Team), EX clear. MoF normal 1cc (Reimu A,B), EX clear (Reimu A). UFO normal 1cc (Reimu B). TD normal 1cc (Reimu and Marisa)

Mootsies

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:53:15 PM »
Edit : woops, pressed the wrong buttons.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:55:11 PM by The Indecisive Scientist »

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
I think you've got the right idea.
I think my biggest accomplishment in all of art was the day I drew a skull and realized that mouths weren't just lips plastered onto the front of faces, but an entire rig that stretched back all the way to ears and really determine that first impression of a character's face. It was pretty glorious and I'd love to have more epiphanies like that.
That site looks pretty good. Thanks a lot.

Mootsies

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 03:00:44 AM »
UPDATE : Patchy doodle!

Welp, just realized that patchy's skirt is off on the right side  :ohdear:
Gonna correct it as soon as i get home

Took me a bit longer to actually correct it, but there.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:27:50 AM by The Indecisive Scientist »

Mootsies

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »
Another unfinished drawing.  :V
I'm still confused on how to draw hands (and foot)
Man, I need to finish those drawing sometimes. maybe next weekend..

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »
Now that I've seen traditional Japanese clothing come out of this thread, I feel obliged to comment.

The right sleeve should be receded from the wrist, which unfortunately means you have to draw a full hand for it to be corrected. The left sleeve's position looks awkward, too; I suggest you draw that behind the kimono itself. Also, the collar band (term?) was cut off after the obi, when it should have continued, and the depth/perspective on the chest is wrog.

Crow's Dumping Ground of Art

"So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring, because my faith is on solid rock; I am counting on God."

Mootsies

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »
I knew i should look on reference about yukata..
Kinda draw that out of curiosity, like "what will this character looks like in yukata?"  :V
Anyway, thank you for the critics :D, I really appreciate it.
Gotta practice more on the basics, then, and to actually use skeleton (been too lazy to do it, and I should've known better not to ignore that phase..  :ohdear: )
I'll be sure to fix it, maybe on the weekend.

Mootsies

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 14 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
Uh huh, yes. I've been abandoning this for a whole month+10 days.
Can't help it, college absorbs me in like a monster it was.  :V
Anyway, update~

I redo this on a paper base instead.

What is this you say? Well I'd say this is a random art. And incomplete to boot. I tend to draw unfinished art because oh "meh" laziness, you gotta deal with it :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 04:27:40 PM »
Uh huh, yes. I've been abandoning this for a whole month+10 days.
Can't help it, college absorbs me in like a monster it was.  :V
Yeah, uni does that.

As for the recent uploads, well, still doesn't look too bad. Would say the necks and maybe the waists seem off, though.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Mootsies

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 03:50:04 AM »
Yeah, uni does that.

As for the recent uploads, well, still doesn't look too bad. Would say the necks and maybe the waists seem off, though.
Especially when you got 3 lab reports a week, but I won't whine here~
Thank you for the critics! Uh huh, I still don't know how to improve on that though, but I'll be sure to ask the experts (read : Friends from art department)
And for the next update~
I got a little serious :

The eye colour is due from vandalism from one of my friend, but I like it~
Clothing design.. Inspired from Hakuou academy uniform with a little tweak because I feel lazy to get the actual references  :V