Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 46829 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #840 on: September 11, 2012, 04:50:56 AM »
>"And besides, think of it this way. You might be able to use this as a little side business to fund more research. A little supplementary income never hurt anyone."

« Reply #841 on: September 11, 2012, 05:01:45 AM »
>Nod. "I'd think that since it's sweet, you'd want to sell it for about one-to-three guilders a tin, like what you've got here. Maybe more if the stuff's hard to make."
>"And besides, think of it this way. You might be able to use this as a little side business to fund more research. A little supplementary income never hurt anyone."

>"For that purpose, that is a... a disappointingly paltry sum," she says absently. "Or perhaps for some other purpose, even, given especially the-" Her eyes flare open with sudden self-consciousness, and she nearly stumbles backward.
>"Oh, my apologies, yes - pay no mind at all to any of that. No, none at all or whatsoever. Appreciated, your opinion is, yes." She nods vigorously. "And, I suppose it might, perhaps, bring nonetheless a smile to see the fruits of one's endeavors - or even fruits in one's endeavors, in this case - bring a like smile to some other. Perhaps that might be, itself, enough, yes."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #842 on: September 11, 2012, 05:04:51 AM »
>"Well, I was using candy as a marker, so maybe 4-8 guilders a tin would work more. But see, you have to make it affordable if you want folks to buy it. That's the basics of commerce after all."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #843 on: September 11, 2012, 05:09:09 AM »
>"At least, as first. But you've got an edge in that department since you've got a real unique product on your hand here. People pay more for rare objects, even when they're useless. Which this isn't."

« Reply #844 on: September 11, 2012, 05:34:34 AM »
>"Well, I was using candy as a marker, so maybe 4-8 guilders a tin would work more. But see, you have to make it affordable if you want folks to buy it. That's the basics of commerce after all."
>"At least, as first. But you've got an edge in that department since you've got a real unique product on your hand here. People pay more for rare objects, even when they're useless. Which this isn't."

>She gives you a tentative smile. "Your appreciation is... itself appreciated, yes. Always nice it is to have one's work deemed of some value, yes, no matter the source - not, of course, that I mean anything untoward by this! A simple truism, it is, and only such. Yes, certainly. And... perhaps what you say is correct... I shall need considered this - altogether complicated, this business is," she mumbles.
>"In any case, enough of your time have I taken with this - more than enough, even." She bows slightly. "For your words, I thank you, and with your own affairs, fare well."

« Reply #845 on: September 11, 2012, 06:13:40 AM »
>Make a note to gauge market saturation for sweets and confections around campus on our way out.
>"And thank you again, for all the help you've given me."
>However, just in case she was wrong about something she mentioned before, let's head back to the secretary we met coming in.

« Reply #846 on: September 11, 2012, 07:07:22 AM »
>Make a note to gauge market saturation for sweets and confections around campus on our way out.
>"And thank you again, for all the help you've given me."
>However, just in case she was wrong about something she mentioned before, let's head back to the secretary we met coming in.

>You make a mental note.
>"Of course, of course," she says. "As I said previously, but shall nonetheless reiterate, my door is always open. Well, except when it is not, of course - there is a draft, sometimes, in the hallway, you see. But in any case, farewell and fare well."
>You exit the professor's office laboratory and head back down the hallway towards the departmental secretary. About halfway there, you hear a series of awkwardly hurried footsteps following after you.

>"Wait a moment!" a familiar reedy voice calls out. "If... if you would!"

« Reply #847 on: September 11, 2012, 07:13:02 AM »
>Pause.
>Twitch. NOW what?
>Cast a glance back over our shoulder.

« Reply #848 on: September 11, 2012, 08:08:58 AM »
>Pause.
>Twitch. NOW what?
>Cast a glance back over our shoulder.

>You pause, twitch, and then look back over your shoulder. Sure enough, Professor Bosqueverde is dashing after you - or at least as close as her ambling gait can approximate a dash. Her bright yellow scarf flutters lazily behind her.
>"I... something just occurred to me," she says, sounding like she's already starting to run out of breath. "Useless and... irrelevant, perhaps, and... most assuredly impractical beyond this - though the enterprise itself could be perhaps considered likewise - not that I mean to cast aspersions! No, no, certainly not."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #849 on: September 11, 2012, 08:12:44 AM »
>Nod, with a somewhat interested expresseion. "Go on..?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #850 on: September 11, 2012, 08:35:02 AM »
>Nod, with a somewhat interested expresseion. "Go on..?"

>"Oh, right. Yes." She nods twice. "While earlier I said that, throughout all the world as one, bittercress blooms simultaneously. Well, I did not say precisely that, perhaps - there are minor variances, among neighboring plants no less, though chiefly on the order of hours at most, and briefer often than minutes - quite remarkable, as I said. Studies of more... disparate populations are harder to synchronize, obviously, though some have tried and I once read a rather curious theory as to the-" She grimaces and shakes her head. "Oh yes, the point. My apologies. In any case, that is what I said and it remains as true now as when first I said it. At least in the general case, yes. Which is nearly the totality of cases, even. However... there is a chance - slim though it is, and perhaps not altogether useful even should it be the case - that this is not universally true."

« Reply #851 on: September 11, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »
Okay, I confess, I'm not quite sure what the heck she's getting at here.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #852 on: September 11, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »
I think on a different angle as most folks, and even I don't know.
I think she might be implying that we can use a member of the bittercress family as a substitute. But don't quote me on that.

What do you other folks think?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

SirChaotick

• Mathematics.
  • Fun for EVERYONE.
« Reply #853 on: September 11, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
>"Oh, right. Yes." She nods twice. "While earlier I said that, throughout all the world as one, bittercress blooms simultaneously.  Well, I did not say precisely that, perhaps - there are minor variances, among neighboring plants no less, though chiefly on the order of hours at most, and briefer often than minutes - quite remarkable, as I said. Studies of more... disparate populations are harder to synchronize, obviously, though some have tried and I once read a rather curious theory as to the-" She grimaces and shakes her head. "Oh yes, the point. My apologies. In any case, that is what I said and it remains as true now as when first I said it. At least in the general case, yes. Which is nearly the totality of cases, even.
In this part she simply says that bittercress blooms simultaneously throughout the world.
However... there is a chance - slim though it is, and perhaps not altogether useful even should it be the case - that this is not universally true."
Combine it with this, and she's simply stating: "It's possible that some of the bittercress doesn't bloom at the same time as the rest." Ta-dah.

« Reply #854 on: September 11, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »
Makes enough sense for me to ask her about.

>Try not to look baffled. Oy, this one talks funny.
>"Are you saying that there's a chance that bittercress could flower ahead of schedule?"

« Reply #855 on: September 12, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »
>Try not to look baffled. Oy, this one talks funny.
>"Are you saying that there's a chance that bittercress could flower ahead of schedule?"

>You are a master of the poker face, and this seems like a pretty good time to break it out.
>"Oh, goodness no," she says. "Under ordinary circumstances, surely not. Or even most unordinary ones, yes. But, there may be a... place... where this does not hold true - or there may not, keep in mind! I cannot, with reasonable certainty, or from my own experience, claim either way. No, I have never been there - nor should I wish to try! Or perhaps it might be better said that I should wish, were it not wiser that I shouldn't. Though in that case, perhaps I should say that I wish that I might wish?" She gives you a sheepish frown. "Reality is... not always entirely convenient, is it? In any event, given your quest and its near-certain vanity by any other means, I felt you perhaps might wish to hear of this - regardless of its merit or practicality. Yes, that is all."

« Reply #856 on: September 13, 2012, 03:14:33 AM »
Is it just me, or was that a bit worse than the first one?
Ah, well.

>"I'm certainly open to any information that comes across my ears, rumor or theory or not. Plenty of Seekers have found lots of odd things with only theory or less."
>Though it may be safe money their sources talk a bit more... clearly.
>"Just to put things in my own terms, though, your theory, or, shall we say, speculation, is that maybe, just maybe, somewhere in the world where bittercress blooms, that one spot might be ahead of schedule from the others?"

« Reply #857 on: September 13, 2012, 03:48:29 AM »
>"I'm certainly open to any information that comes across my ears, rumor or theory or not. Plenty of Seekers have found lots of odd things with only theory or less."
>Though it may be safe money their sources talk a bit more... clearly.
>"Just to put things in my own terms, though, your theory, or, shall we say, speculation, is that maybe, just maybe, somewhere in the world where bittercress blooms, that one spot might be ahead of schedule from the others?"

>You ask the professor for clarification while attempting to keep straight what bits you do understand. Or at least think you understand.
>"Ahead of schedule, perhaps not so much as ignoring it altogether," she says. "You see, hidden somewhere in the wilds to the southwest of here is a garden - most peculiar in many ways this is, yes, but I have fair confidence in its existence. A figment of rumor and fancy, some say, yes, but I do not believe them. At any rate, this garden - as the rumors go - remains throughout all the year in bloom. And not merely one variety of long-blossoming plant does it have. Oh, no, no, not at all - as much as that might simplify the... difficulty of life-cycle synchronization, yes. But there are instead species of all manner and type to be found there - or so they say - exotic and lesser and perhaps even lesser than that - beauty even in the mundane, yes? Rather a poor measure of beauty, rarity is, at any rate," she mumbles. "Only an afternoon harvesting skrynroot would it take to fix that notion, yes - dreadfully unpleasant things, those plants, and I do not say that lightly! No, not lightly at all."
>She shakes her head. "In any case, it should go without saying that getting chrysanthemums to bloom in March or keeping a hyacinth in flower for months at a time presents certain... difficulties. Not altogether insurmountable, some of these - I can think of certain approaches that could be perhaps considered, on an isolated and lesser basis - but daunting still, yes. Oh, very daunting indeed. You might wonder, perhaps, how this is so, and that is fair to wonder. Very fair, yes. Skepticism is perhaps the most prudent response here, even, so feel free to maintain such as you wish. But there is a... particular reason that I believe this is not uncredible - though still perhaps incredible, yes." She smiles a little at her own joke.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #858 on: September 13, 2012, 04:00:41 AM »
Oh great. Sour, Purvmeister, I think I know what this means. And it ain't gonna be an easy thing.

>"So let me get this straight, there's this 'Miracle Garden' where all kinds of plants bloom? Any idea as to the general area of where it might be located in Southwest Wilds?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #859 on: September 13, 2012, 04:28:43 AM »
>"So let me get this straight, there's this 'Miracle Garden' where all kinds of plants bloom? Any idea as to the general area of where it might be located in Southwest Wilds?"

>"Slightly more specific I can be," she says, "though only just; its exact location is only vaguely known and there is no easy road - by design, I should think! And forgive my assumption to amend your own, but a miracle should imply intervention of the divine, yes? And while there is certainly some power at work here - how could there be otherwise? - I suspect quite strongly it is not divine. No, not divine at all. For that matter, divinities whose domain and mine overlap seem sometimes oddly wont to withhold their powers - a pity, that. Or perhaps not - who can say what the result would be if they were otherwise? Perhaps, even, the rigor of my discipline can exist only by the grace that they are not otherwise? A curious question, indeed...."
>"At any rate," she says in a more somber tone, "this garden is watched and tended not by any goddess, but by a... certain youkai. Ancient, she is, yes. And powerful. Oh, most powerful indeed. And also... dangerous. For this reason it is that I hesitate to mention this at all - well, this reason and certain others, yes, but this reason most of all. Of what I know, I cannot understate this."

« Reply #860 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36:08 AM »
Yeah, ancient youkai. That might confirm it.
On the other hand, I'm going to try an reserve judgement. I've been wrong before.

>Grin. Little does she know we've got a living goddess on our side already.
>Can we douse for certain kinds of seeds if we are familiar with their chemistry and/or special properties?
>Or hidden trails, if they're magically concealed?

« Reply #861 on: September 13, 2012, 04:50:42 AM »
>Grin. Little does she know we've got a living goddess on our side already.
>Can we douse for certain kinds of seeds if we are familiar with their chemistry and/or special properties?
>Or hidden trails, if they're magically concealed?

>You grin. The professor frowns slightly. "Please do not take this flippantly - I may otherwise regret the mention of it."
>Dowsing organic material is very hard. Dowsing for something specific as a certain kind of seed is entirely out of the question. Well, unless there were something magical about it, perhaps.
>Depending on the nature with which they were concealed, this is possible. Certainly some types of magic could be detectable, depending on how subtle an enchantment was woven. Beyond these extrasensory powers, you also have some skill in tracking and general wilderness navigation that could aid in finding one through mundane means.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #862 on: September 13, 2012, 04:56:29 AM »
>"Don't worry, I think that as long as I go in respectfully, things should work out. At the very least, whoever this is, it's bound to be miles better than that spider youkai I had to deal with on the last job."
>Sigh. "Man, she was a real nasty piece of work. Ain't my fault those spiders tried to have a mouse dinner and got kebab'd for their troubles."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #863 on: September 13, 2012, 05:05:10 AM »
I don't think mentioning the spider is a good idea, Hanzo. Thus far, we've avoided mentioning that we're plagued, and opening up about that encounter might lead to some questions.

>"Sorry, I wasn't. I was just thinking of an old friend of mine from back home. She's the type who'd love to spend some time in a garden like that. Well, apart from the 'ancient, dangerous youkai', that is, that might give her some pause."
>"But I haven't let that stop me before, not about to stop now. Though I do appreciate the warning, and the extra advise. Another option is always welcome."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #864 on: September 13, 2012, 05:06:26 AM »
There's different sorts Sour, remember? Also, you'll note I didn't say anything about the plague.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #865 on: September 13, 2012, 06:13:52 AM »
>"Don't worry, I think that as long as I go in respectfully, things should work out. At the very least, whoever this is, it's bound to be miles better than that spider youkai I had to deal with on the last job."
>Sigh. "Man, she was a real nasty piece of work. Ain't my fault those spiders tried to have a mouse dinner and got kebab'd for their troubles."

>"I suppose I cannot rightly say," she answers with a wary look, "but she is, as I hear it, a youkai of the highest rank. Surely one could be of no other kind, to have wrought such a place by their own hand. Presuming, of course, that her hands were involved in the process at all - perhaps they were not! Perhaps she controls this power of hers with a glance or a breath or a wiggle of her eyebrows, yes - I certainly cannot claim any authority over how she wields it. Far more mundane my own meager skill with plants is, no matter the decades of experience I might have - nothing that cannot be taught to any other of any nature." She chuckles slightly. "I suppose there would be otherwise little point in such a profession as mine, no?"

>"Sorry, I wasn't. I was just thinking of an old friend of mine from back home. She's the type who'd love to spend some time in a garden like that. Well, apart from the 'ancient, dangerous youkai', that is, that might give her some pause."
>"But I haven't let that stop me before, not about to stop now. Though I do appreciate the warning, and the extra advise. Another option is always welcome."

>She nods slowly. "About her temperament, I fear I also cannot venture - perhaps she is as bad as some say, or perhaps she is not. Some say she is very bad indeed, I should warn, though people have said many things, yes -  many things both true and otherwise, of falsehood willful and also otherwise. An unfortunate thing that is - the willful falsehoods, I mean, of course. Yes, yes, a complicated enough undertaking my discipline is without needing to separate truth from lie, but perhaps I may be drifting away from the point. I have not met this youkai, nor do I expect I ever shall, and I suppose I can be happy enough for that. Yes, no adventure in this blood - enough of what might be called such in early life to serve all the rest of it, I think. Without that, even, I might have done quite as well. Or perhaps even better, yes. You... well, one assumes your profession would not be as it is if you were as I am." She smiles. "No offense intended to either party, yes?"
>"In any case, her privacy is, one reasonably assumes, quite prized or she would not choose such isolation, no? Though perhaps this isolation would foster need of company more than scorn of it?" She frowns. "...somehow, I do not think so. For that matter, I cannot even say that bittercress could be found among that garden, bountiful though it is said - not among the most prized of flowers will you find it, no. Nor indeed among those lesser prized than that, though... not altogether unpleasant it is, no - an understated beauty, one might say. At any rate, if anywhere in the world is to be found a bittercress in bloom at this moment of this year of this cycle among all the cycles one could choose to have need of it - rather unfortunate this is, I suppose, though not surprising in the main, given the wealth of days without this flower to the scarcity of those which are otherwise - it is there."

« Reply #866 on: September 13, 2012, 07:29:26 AM »
Make a note. We need a map.

>Cup our jaw with our hand thoughtfully.
>"All things considered, I think I'd be best served asking around town about the plant, or its seeds, first. And if my search comes up dry, well, now I'll have another place to explore, which I'm grateful for."
>"This garden of perpetual blooms, though. Is it rumored to be hidden amongst a mountain range, a dense forest? The general terrain, I mean. 'The Southwest Wilds' covers a lot of ground, I'd imagine.

« Reply #867 on: September 17, 2012, 07:03:09 PM »
>Cup our jaw with our hand thoughtfully.
>"All things considered, I think I'd be best served asking around town about the plant, or its seeds, first. And if my search comes up dry, well, now I'll have another place to explore, which I'm grateful for."
>"This garden of perpetual blooms, though. Is it rumored to be hidden amongst a mountain range, a dense forest? The general terrain, I mean. 'The Southwest Wilds' covers a lot of ground, I'd imagine.

>The professor bows her head. "Seek as you wish - it is both your profession and prerogative, certainly."
>"Indeed it does," she says thoughtfully. "Indeed it does at that. Though as fortune would have it, the garden's location is not the Southwestern Wild Lands, but merely the wild lands to the southwest - quite a different thing that is, yes. Though I suppose it may technically fall within the Wild Lands on some map or another if you go far enough; the borders are forever changing, you see - I can never keep up with them these days," she mutters. "That was where I was born, you know? Down in Sasa Dioro. Long gone now," she says in a somber tone. "Swallowed by the Wild Lands, it was, from Prado del Sol to the Rio Andanza. Oh, perhaps some building or another still stands, yes, but the nation and its people? They live now only in our hearts." She cups a hand revertently to her own as she says this.

« Reply #868 on: September 17, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
>Do any of those new names mean anything to us?

« Reply #869 on: September 17, 2012, 07:40:52 PM »
>Do any of those new names mean anything to us?

>You believe the Rio Andanza is a fairly lengthy and winding river towards the northern third of the Wild Lands, not too far from its border with Hanashibara. Prado del Sol means nothing to you, and Sasa Dioro rings a fainter bell, though you cannot immediately place it.