Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 46828 times)

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #660 on: September 03, 2012, 06:51:39 AM »
True, but it is a lead. And as we all know, leads are meant to be followed up on.
I just can't think of anything else to do in this department though, except maybe look up legendary weapons like our little partner here.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #661 on: September 03, 2012, 06:55:49 AM »
You know, that's actually a very good point. This librarian might have a book down here to help us translate the writing on it, or if there were more like it. Maybe even the people that made it.

>"Maybe."
>Point to our sword.
>"I'm trying to track down the origins of this sword of mine here. It has an inscription on it, which I'm told is Freelands Archaic, and it's been empowered by some kind of faith. Would you know of any books here pertaining to old weapons like that, or any swordcrafters of the era of that language?"

« Reply #662 on: September 03, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »
>"Maybe."
>Point to our sword.
>"I'm trying to track down the origins of this sword of mine here. It has an inscription on it, which I'm told is Freelands Archaic, and it's been empowered by some kind of faith. Would you know of any books here pertaining to old weapons like that, or any swordcrafters of the era of that language?"

>The poltergeist's sharp gaze falls to your sword briefly.
>"Of that language, no. The History deparment may know something; few books speak of it and not in so specific detail. There are books of smithing techniques and practices in the main library, both historic and modern  - I doubt this is mentioned there, either, but it's not impossible. Unusual weapons also show up in many heroic epics and similar tales; I could direct you to any of these if you wish."

« Reply #663 on: September 03, 2012, 11:32:45 PM »
>Heroic tales, huh. Guess there's a chance, but sifting through old odes probably isn't going to get us a better lead on a cure, at least not better than the one we've got here.
>"Maybe at another time. I should really track down one solution before moving on to another."

« Reply #664 on: September 04, 2012, 12:38:39 AM »
>Heroic tales, huh. Guess there's a chance, but sifting through old odes probably isn't going to get us a better lead on a cure, at least not better than the one we've got here.
>"Maybe at another time. I should really track down one solution before moving on to another."

>While relevant information can be found tucked in all kinds of unlikely places, this does seem rather like looking for a needle in a haystack.
>"Very well." She regards you with cool expectation.

« Reply #665 on: September 04, 2012, 02:01:12 AM »
>When has she regarded us withOUT a cool expression. Still, helpful is helpful, and she was very.
>"Which means I should be off to see someone in the Alchemy department."
>Bow. "Thank you very much. If this pans out, you'll have helped me save at least one life, maybe a lot more."

« Reply #666 on: September 04, 2012, 02:54:48 AM »
>When has she regarded us withOUT a cool expression. Still, helpful is helpful, and she was very.
>"Which means I should be off to see someone in the Alchemy department."
>Bow. "Thank you very much. If this pans out, you'll have helped me save at least one life, maybe a lot more."

>"Wait," she says firmly, fixing you with a stare so intent it's nearly palpable. "What did you just say?"

« Reply #667 on: September 04, 2012, 03:01:03 AM »
>"Why did you think I was looking for a cure for the blight I mentioned before?"

« Reply #668 on: September 04, 2012, 03:49:47 AM »
>"Why did you think I was looking for a cure for the blight I mentioned before?"

>"People read old books for many reasons," she says. "Most aren't matters of life or death, and Seekers aren't known for doing healer work. Is anyone here in danger?" Her stare is unrelenting.

« Reply #669 on: September 04, 2012, 04:00:13 AM »
>Shake our head.
>"The blight can only be transmitted via a black cloud of gas, which can only be created by that youkai I mentioned. So far as I know, anyway, that's the only method I know she employed. And since she herself has been dealt with by now, there's no further risk to anyone or anything she hasn't already infected."

« Reply #670 on: September 04, 2012, 04:04:38 AM »
>Shake our head.
>"The blight can only be transmitted via a black cloud of gas, which can only be created by that youkai I mentioned. So far as I know, anyway, that's the only method I know she employed. And since she herself has been dealt with by now, there's no further risk to anyone or anything she hasn't already infected."

>"And this is the entire truth?"

« Reply #671 on: September 04, 2012, 04:08:47 AM »
>"What else do you want to know? How she was dealt with?"

« Reply #672 on: September 04, 2012, 04:11:49 AM »
>"What else do you want to know? How she was dealt with?"

>"That there's no threat to this place," she says. "The details of it are your business, but that's mine."

« Reply #673 on: September 04, 2012, 04:18:48 AM »
>Look her in the eye.
>"There is no threat to this place, or this city. I give you my word."

« Reply #674 on: September 04, 2012, 04:42:55 AM »
>Look her in the eye.
>"There is no threat to this place, or this city. I give you my word."

>You look the poltergeist in the eye and she returns this stare with stark intensity. There is a pointed silence, broken only by the sound of your own breath. While you're not normally one to flinch from someone else's glare, you could swear the temperature in the room just dropped by several degrees. The woman doesn't even seem to blink. Then, with as little warning as she first seized it, the poltergeist releases your gaze.
>"Very well."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #675 on: September 04, 2012, 04:45:35 AM »
Have we asked about the sword by name?

« Reply #676 on: September 04, 2012, 04:47:26 AM »
We have not, no.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #677 on: September 04, 2012, 04:51:25 AM »
Might be a good idea, in terms of references.

Shame I can never remember what the damn thing's called.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #678 on: September 04, 2012, 04:52:39 AM »
I got this.
>"Hey, read or heard about any myths or legends involving a sword meant to kill spiders by the name of Kumokirimaru?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #679 on: September 04, 2012, 05:13:04 AM »
>"Hey, read or heard about any myths or legends involving a sword meant to kill spiders by the name of Kumokirimaru?"

>She seems to consider this a moment. "I don't know that name. Weapons made to kill specific things are found in many legends; that may also be. If you aren't interested in reading them now, I can't help you more than that."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #680 on: September 04, 2012, 05:17:30 AM »
So, do we look at them now, or later?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #681 on: September 04, 2012, 05:23:42 AM »
Time is the enemy, so, it depends on how long it'll take to find the right legend.

>"How long do you think it might take to find the right tale?"

« Reply #682 on: September 04, 2012, 05:51:15 AM »
>"How long do you think it might take to find the right tale?"

>"There are hundreds here," she says. "Maybe thousands. Do you even know where to start?"

« Reply #683 on: September 04, 2012, 06:02:11 AM »
>"Translating the writing on the sword would seem to have been a start, but thus far, I haven't got too far on that front."
>"I know the sword was empowered to fight spiders, or spider youkai, or both, by a faith I also haven't been able to identify. I mean to check that out, too, while I'm in Val R, if I can find the time. And that the sword's old, obviously. It was found downriver from an old temple, or at least the ruins of an old temple, to the north of Easthaven. I'm afraid that's all I know about it, though."

« Reply #684 on: September 04, 2012, 06:15:54 AM »
>"Translating the writing on the sword would seem to have been a start, but thus far, I haven't got too far on that front."
>"I know the sword was empowered to fight spiders, or spider youkai, or both, by a faith I also haven't been able to identify. I mean to check that out, too, while I'm in Val R, if I can find the time. And that the sword's old, obviously. It was found downriver from an old temple, or at least the ruins of an old temple, to the north of Easthaven. I'm afraid that's all I know about it, though."

>"Estval doesn't have many legends of its own," she says. "It's young. That might give you somewhere to start. But what you're looking for could be buried in the tiniest corner of the most unlikely place, just like that herb. I can show you where to start, but I can't tell you where to find it. Not something like that."

« Reply #685 on: September 04, 2012, 06:19:40 AM »
>"I suppose a start is better than nothing. I should check in with the alchemy department before I sit down to do any serious reading that could take me days, or more, but if it comes to that, knowing where to start's always good."

« Reply #686 on: September 04, 2012, 06:35:56 AM »
>"I suppose a start is better than nothing. I should check in with the alchemy department before I sit down to do any serious reading that could take me days, or more, but if it comes to that, knowing where to start's always good."

>She nods slightly. "Folklore for the Outer Freelands is shelved under KF. More general folklore under K or KA. Some turns up in books on other subjects, but that is its place."

« Reply #687 on: September 04, 2012, 07:21:16 AM »
>It'll be nice to have the time to research this sword ourselves, if this cure is on the money.
>"All right, then. And thank you, again."

« Reply #688 on: September 04, 2012, 07:26:59 AM »
>It'll be nice to have the time to research this sword ourselves, if this cure is on the money.
>"All right, then. And thank you, again."

>It'll be nice to simply have time....
>The librarian nods slightly.

« Reply #689 on: September 04, 2012, 07:53:29 AM »
>Let us depart, then, under the librarian's watchful eye.
>As we return upstairs, though, "That book-fairy from before, does she do that sort of thing often?"