Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 46851 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2012, 04:44:40 AM »
>"Must make one heck of a lighthouse. Although, if that huge globe is a scrying tool, I assume it was build for city defense? Sort of an early warning tool?"

« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2012, 04:54:40 AM »
>"Must make one heck of a lighthouse. Although, if that huge globe is a scrying tool, I assume it was build for city defense? Sort of an early warning tool?"

>Neu takes a look at the globe and frowns slightly. "Whether the idea for a monument or a scrying system came first, I don't know, but that's certainly one of its purposes. I don't quite know the range on it - the details are classified, you understand - but I get the impression it's quite impressive. The only conventional air approach to the city is past it, as well. It's just that the city has never had to fend off a single real air raid in all its history, as best I know, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. It does make it a bit trickier for smugglers, though."

« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2012, 05:13:18 AM »
>We'll not comment on that fact that, technically, this bunch were smugglers when they launched.
>"Not a single raid, huh? You'd think a city like Val Razua would invite pirates and theives. Their defenses must be impresive, too."
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:23:29 AM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2012, 05:38:38 AM »
>We'll not comment on that fact that, technically, this bunch were smugglers when they launched.
>"Not a single raid, huh? You'd think a city like Val Razua would invite pirates and theives. Their defenses must be impresive, too."

>You elect not to comment.
>"It's not quite Higan," she says, "but their navy is still considerable and the terrain gives them a good defensive position. The city's certainly out of the league of any pirate raid, probably even Shameimaru, although I was thinking more of military action when I said that. It has its share of thieves, of course, but they generally don't fly in the front gates with renegade flags above them."

« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2012, 05:52:37 AM »
>"Not the most subtle approach, no."
>Are we close enough, currently, that our dowsing rods would have sufficient range to scan the Vigil?

« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2012, 06:03:02 AM »
>"Not the most subtle approach, no."
>Are we close enough, currently, that our dowsing rods would have sufficient range to scan the Vigil?

>You're sure you could pick up on something from this distance. Closer is always better, but it's large, fancy, and unobstructed, so you expect you could get a decent read on it if you tried.

« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2012, 06:10:41 AM »
>Well, why not give it a bash.
>"Bear with me a minute."
>Produce rods and scan the Vigil statue. Specifically pertaining to the material used to craft both statue and sphere.

« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2012, 06:39:28 AM »
>Well, why not give it a bash.
>"Bear with me a minute."
>Produce rods and scan the Vigil statue. Specifically pertaining to the material used to craft both statue and sphere.

>You ask for Neu's patience as you produce your dowsing rods and prepare to take a look at the statue.
>"Of course," she says.

>You level your rods at the statue and concentrate. It's nice to actually know where to point them, for a change. The body of it is indeed made chiefly of marble. You can sense the various veins and striations of minerals that form it - nothing terrible exciting. There are spells sheathing the whole works, however. They don't radiate particularly strongly, though their cohesion over such a large area is notable. If you had to guess, you might peg some of them as structural reinforcement or weather-proofing, though it's very possible there's other stuff in the mix.
>The sphere itself actually reminds you of glass, or at least something quite similar to it, but there's quite a bit more going on here. For one thing, its internal structure is far too orderly to be wholely natural; you'd bet good money that it was very specifically constructed through magical means. You get the sense of a sort of structural latticework that seems almost to focus and refract surrounding resonances in a similar way as a lens bends light. The depths of it are suprisingly hard to get a read on, either through deliberate concealment or some incidental property of its structure. You could keep trying, but you're not sure you'd get anything useful for the effort. There's magic in it, of course - even if Neu hadn't said as much, its presence would be unmistakeable - but this doesn't give you any better idea of how it works. Well, aside from the part that feels suspiciously similar to your average magical lantern, differing more in flavor than substance. It may take a few tricks to make it look like moonlight, but you suppose your standard illumination spell can do the job just as well for a monument as a bedroom.

« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2012, 07:01:22 AM »
>Put away our sticks.
>"Complicated piece of magical workmanship, that sphere there. Kind of like a lens, but on a whole different scale than your average telescope."

« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
>Put away our sticks.
>"Complicated piece of magical workmanship, that sphere there. Kind of like a lens, but on a whole different scale than your average telescope."

>You put your dowsing rods away.
>"Well, there's certainly no doubting that the magicians of Val Razua are talented and industrious," Neu says somewhat dryly.

« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2012, 07:08:56 AM »
>Indicate the statue.
>"They've got at least a few good stonecutters, as well. Near as I can tell, the statue was all hand-cut."

« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2012, 07:12:55 AM »
>Indicate the statue.
>"They've got at least a few good stonecutters, as well. Near as I can tell, the statue was all hand-cut."

>You gesture at the statue.
>Neu subtly raises an eyebrow. "Do you have an interest in that sort of thing, then? I'm sure it would be easy enough to find a few accounts of its construction. I don't actually know that much about that, myself; It's been there as long as I've been alive."

« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2012, 07:16:19 AM »
>Shrug marginally.
>"I'm a bit curious, yeah. First time I've ever seen a statue that size, after all, let alone one that was part of a city's defense plan."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #193 on: August 04, 2012, 07:17:53 AM »
>"You ever been to it?"

« Reply #194 on: August 04, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
>Shrug marginally.
>"I'm a bit curious, yeah. First time I've ever seen a statue that size, after all, let alone one that was part of a city's defense plan."

>You give a little shrug.
>"Val Razua has always prized form and grandeur," she says, "though they often manage impressive function, just the same. Certainly, few other cities would care as much about the aesthetics of their military."

>"You ever been to it?"

>She looks surprised. "The statue itself? No, it's not actually open to the public - matters of defense, and such. Though I suspect the best view is from an airship in any case."

« Reply #195 on: August 04, 2012, 07:49:13 AM »
>"I don't suppose you know where the name came from?"

« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2012, 08:30:56 AM »
>"I don't suppose you know where the name came from?"

>"Well, the statue is intended to be Selene's likeness, I assume," she says. "A goddess of the moon and patron of several magical disciplines - including divination, I think. The Vigil part should be fairly obvious."

« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2012, 08:54:04 AM »
>Had we heard of this Selene before?
>"Smart choice for goddesses, for a scrying statue, then."
>Glance around.
>"I don't suppose she has a sister statue with a giant cannon-orb in her hands, does she?"

« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »
>Had we heard of this Selene before?
>"Smart choice for goddesses, for a scrying statue, then."
>Glance around.
>"I don't suppose she has a sister statue with a giant cannon-orb in her hands, does she?"

>The name rings a vague bell, but Braston is neither especially religious nor especially magical. You think you may have heard Marisa mention her before, though.
>"It does seem appropriate, yes."
>You glance around.
>Nue chuckles lightly. "I'm sure Ishi would volunteer to design one, if they asked. Though I shudder to think of what it would look like compared to its neighbour." She looks back up at the statue and frowns. "In any case, no - the only direct defenses would have to be mustered by airship."

« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2012, 09:29:58 AM »
>A kappa-designed goddess statue holding a magical- well, probably magitech weapon within its hands. Gods help the sucker who was on the wrong end of that. Or, for that matter, the suckers on the construction crew.
>Since the pirate attack, have we noticed any extra instability in the ship? Anything to indicate that the damage caused by the pirates has affected the ship's handling? Last thing we need to worry about it careening into one of those rock faces if Ishi's patch job isn't up to snuff.

« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »
>A kappa-designed goddess statue holding a magical- well, probably magitech weapon within its hands. Gods help the sucker who was on the wrong end of that. Or, for that matter, the suckers on the construction crew.
>Since the pirate attack, have we noticed any extra instability in the ship? Anything to indicate that the damage caused by the pirates has affected the ship's handling? Last thing we need to worry about it careening into one of those rock faces if Ishi's patch job isn't up to snuff.

>The entire plan seems like courting major disaster, whether through its failure or even its success.
>Nothing that your inexperienced self has been able to notice - maybe if you'd spent as much time on the sky as the rest of them, you might have. You've been told that the ship is a bit impaired, but nothing that should cause any real problems unless you end up needing evasive maneuvers.

« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
>Still and all, best keep a discreet eye out in case we drift too close to one of those cliff sides.
>And keep an eye out for other notable landmarks as well, of course. No harm in a little tourist-ing until we land. Then it's all business.

« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2012, 07:34:48 PM »
>Still and all, best keep a discreet eye out in case we drift too close to one of those cliff sides.
>And keep an eye out for other notable landmarks as well, of course. No harm in a little tourist-ing until we land. Then it's all business.

>Not feeling entirely comfortable, you keep a wary eye on the two cliff faces as the Maiden passes beneath Selene's gaze and into the gap between them.

>It turns out your concern is overblown. While there's a distinctly cloistered feel to the space inside the passage, it's clear once you enter that there's also ample room for multiple airships to safely pass abreast of each other; a collision with the sides would take some kind of monumental failure. The passage extends for a considerable distance - down this low, you can see little but rock and what plants have found purchase on the overhang above it. It is also far from straight. You've seen the city on maps before, of course, but the meandering of the path towards it is far more dramatic in person than on paper. Small hollows are carved into the rock faces at regular intervals and set in with columns similar to the beacon stones, but crowned with 12-pointed stars. Between them are flung large cloth banners in bright colors, most of them bearing some sort of symbol in their center. You see a cross flanked by flared bat wings on red and white, a bridge above water on brilliant green, what appears to be a goat idly munching grass on burgundy and yellow...

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #203 on: August 04, 2012, 07:43:43 PM »
>"I take it that the one with the cross and bat wings belongs to House Scarlet, but what's with the goat flag?"
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #204 on: August 04, 2012, 08:11:56 PM »
>"I take it that the one with the cross and bat wings belongs to House Scarlet, but what's with the goat flag?"

>"House Pardicas," she says. "They um..." She pauses and frowns. "They have a thing for goats."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
>".....Say no more. I get the feeling they're a very strange lot."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #206 on: August 04, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »
>".....Say no more. I get the feeling they're a very strange lot."

>"You'd hear few disagreements on that front, I expect," she says. "Except perhaps from the goats. In any case, that other banner is House Scarlet's, yes. The one with the bridge is House Mizuhashi, and that-" She points to a banner bearing the silhouette of a bamboo stalk upon a full moon on dusky blue and silver. "Is House Houraisan."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #207 on: August 05, 2012, 12:15:25 AM »
>Nod attentively, taking in the info. "So what all can you tell me about notable sights in Val Razua? I'd like to do some sightseeing and such once this problem of mine is all wrapped up. I should also ask about the nearest clothing shop, so I can get new clothing that's still mobile."
>We can't really do any of our usual maneuvers in a dress after all, can we?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #208 on: August 05, 2012, 01:23:09 AM »
>Nod attentively, taking in the info. "So what all can you tell me about notable sights in Val Razua? I'd like to do some sightseeing and such once this problem of mine is all wrapped up. I should also ask about the nearest clothing shop, so I can get new clothing that's still mobile."
>We can't really do any of our usual maneuvers in a dress after all, can we?

>Neu raises an eyebrow. "Mobile?"
>The outfit you're wearing at the moment is actually quite similar to the one that got cut up in your fight with the pirates. Mobility isn't a problem so much as the likelihood that it won't fully conceal the Blight for much longer.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2012, 01:32:57 AM »
>"My job does need me to be pretty mobile after all. I'm looking to getting back to work once I've got my little problem fixed, and I've had a breather."
>Grin. "That, and I just like it that way."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!