Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 46695 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2012, 02:42:10 AM »
>Speaking of places of note, is there a Seeker's branch in Val Razua that we're aware of?
>Is she drawing a map or just making notes?
>"No worries, Neu. A Seeker can never have too much info on places like this, mundane info or no."

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2012, 03:09:19 AM »
>Speaking of places of note, is there a Seeker's branch in Val Razua that we're aware of?
>Is she drawing a map or just making notes?
>"No worries, Neu. A Seeker can never have too much info on places like this, mundane info or no."

>There is, though you don't believe they offer the full training program there. There certainly is a job board and related facilities, though.
>It doesn't look to be a map, so much as a series of directions.
>"Well," she says, "if you would like me to be completely frank, I shall say simply that the city runs on wealth and influence. Those with them can live a life of unmatched privilege. Those without, often labor in the other's shadow. I would not say they have a bad life, as such, but the city is far from egalitarian and its governance is held in the hands of very few. Those of your profession could do quite well for yourself with the right patron, I imagine."
>She pauses and regards her note with a frown, rolling the quill pensively between her fingers. "Under the proviso that you do not consider this a proper endorsement, I may add another name here. A certain apothecary of... mixed reputation, but unarguable expertise. I have had some... minor dealings with her in past. I can't say I expect she would know a remedy to your affliction, but her knowledge of unorthodox concoctions is certainly greater than most."

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2012, 03:20:30 AM »
>"Believe me, girl, I'm not about to rule out any leads at this point. A 'dubious' reputation ain't a 'bad' one, after all. Just one that falls a little farther down the list than others, if you catch me."
>"But, I wouldn't be a Seeker if I didn't ask about these upper crust types. The only big name I've even heard of myself is one Remilia Scarlet, and beyond the fact that she seems to have an interest in old things, I know nothing at all about even her."

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2012, 04:32:57 AM »
>"Believe me, girl, I'm not about to rule out any leads at this point. A 'dubious' reputation ain't a 'bad' one, after all. Just one that falls a little farther down the list than others, if you catch me."
>"But, I wouldn't be a Seeker if I didn't ask about these upper crust types. The only big name I've even heard of myself is one Remilia Scarlet, and beyond the fact that she seems to have an interest in old things, I know nothing at all about even her."

>"Very well." She nods and starts writing again. "As long as you keep this in mind, should you speak with her."
>Neu lets out a small breath, sounding just the slightest bit like a chuckle. "A sure sign you've never lived there. She is the most powerful person in that city, have no doubt of this. Which makes her one of the most powerful in all of Gensokyo as well, of course. She is a vampire of pure blood and distinguished lineage, an aristocrat in the truest sense - vain and osetentatious, but a generous patron of the arts and beloved by the people. With some exceptions, of course. She is also a shrewd and sometimes ruthless politician. In truth, she is less despotic than her position would allow - I've never been sure whether this was genuine magnanimity or simply because she enjoys basking in the adoration it earns - but there is no question she considers Val Razua 'her' city. Of course, not everyone shares this view." She pauses here and stares uncertainly at her note for a few moments before resuming writing.
>"The political power of Val Razua is vested in the Senate, with each noble house of sufficient standing having a vote. Theoretically these houses share roughly equal power, though no one even bothers to make a pretense of this being true. In actual fact, the majority of control rests with just three of them - House Scarlet, House Houraisan, and House Mizuhashi - with a scattering of minor players completing the dynamic." She pauses again, and turns her head back towards you. "Perhaps I should actually ask what you care to know before continuing to expound like this."

« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2012, 04:40:56 AM »
>Do either of those House names mean anything to us?
>What do we know about vampires?

« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2012, 05:04:58 AM »
>Do either of those House names mean anything to us?
>What do we know about vampires?

>They sound passingly familiar at best; certainly you know no details about them.
>That they are a powerful and rare breed of youkai, possessing great physical and magical strength, who feed on blood (chiefly human, you think) but are vulnerable to sunlight and several other things. You don't think they're precisely bat youkai in the same way that you're a mouse youaki, though there does still seem to be some sort of connection between them. You've never encountered one, though you'd thought this true of most people until now. Actually... upon reflection, you think the fact that one of the bigwigs in Val Razua is a vampire does ring a faint bell - you just hadn't had a name to put with it before. In any case, it would appear she's somehow managed to escape the generally bad reputation associated with her kind. You've heard them mostly described as dangerous predators - a reputation you think youkai in general bore in older days. Whether they're honestly as dangerous as reputed, you can't say for sure - humans seem to find the night, and creatures of it, oddly spooky, after all.

« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2012, 05:24:53 AM »
>Wait a minute. She called this vampire one of the strongest in Gensokyo. And the pirates implicated her as the one who contracted Murasa to haul that relic. Which means that our friends could be in trouble for losing it...

>"Well, Neu, the first thing I'd like to know is something I don't know if you'll be willing to tell me, but I'm going to say it anyway. Considering what's happened here, are you sure it's... safe, to land there?"

« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2012, 06:19:55 AM »
>Wait a minute. She called this vampire one of the strongest in Gensokyo. And the pirates implicated her as the one who contracted Murasa to haul that relic. Which means that our friends could be in trouble for losing it...

>"Well, Neu, the first thing I'd like to know is something I don't know if you'll be willing to tell me, but I'm going to say it anyway. Considering what's happened here, are you sure it's... safe, to land there?"

>An unpleasant thought occurs to you...
>"Safe?" Neu gives you a puzzled look; the tip of her right antenna twitches a little. "Why would it be unsafe?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2012, 06:25:40 AM »
>"Well, near as I can understand from what I've heard, the Scarlet lady was the one that hired you guys to move that thing, right? The thing those pirates jacked."
>"Now, I dunno about you, but I'd be pretty peeved if i were in her shoes."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2012, 07:02:28 AM »
>"Well, near as I can understand from what I've heard, the Scarlet lady was the one that hired you guys to move that thing, right? The thing those pirates jacked."
>"Now, I dunno about you, but I'd be pretty peeved if i were in her shoes."

>"Ah, yes." She frowns slightly. "I expect she will be, certainly. But if you're concerned her ire will fall upon us, you needn't be; she may be petty and vain, but she's not a tyrant. Though at worst, I suppose it may affect our business dealings in the city." She lets out a weary sigh. "I would like to think not, though. In any case, Aya is the one who's made a dangerous enemy of her with this, though it would somehow not surprise me if this wasn't her first transgression. Of course, I believe she was probably also correct when she claimed to be outside Lady Scarlet's reach."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2012, 07:16:14 AM »
>"....When do you think they'll get tired of the noble act and start attacking folks who can't defend themselves?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »
>"Which begs the question of, if she can't get at Aya, is she the type to take her frustrations out on more convenient targets?"

« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2012, 07:50:27 AM »
>"....When do you think they'll get tired of the noble act and start attacking folks who can't defend themselves?"

>"The pirates, you mean?" She frowns. "In the end, I suppose we couldn't defend ourselves either, could we? Ironically, people with even less capacity for self-defense would likely suffer fewer injuries, I suspect. As for their future activities, I'm not sure I want to speculate. I no longer think their reputation entirely follows from their actions - I wouldn't be surprised if some of the attacks attributed to them were not actually perpetrated by them. They certainly have the capacity to commandeer nearly any merchant ship with barely a struggle, yet shipping in this area remains largely safe; draw what conclusions from that you wish."

>"Which begs the question of, if she can't get at Aya, is she the type to take her frustrations out on more convenient targets?"

>"I said you needn't worry about it." Her tone is just guarded enough to make you wonder if she's considered this. "If she does, I very much doubt her target will be us."

« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2012, 07:58:53 AM »
>"I want to believe that, too."
>Sigh a bit. "The last time I had to part ways with friends of mine, they were still in danger. I did what I could to help them, but I still don't know how things turned out for sure. I did not want to see that happen again."

« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2012, 08:09:30 AM »
>"I want to believe that, too."
>Sigh a bit. "The last time I had to part ways with friends of mine, they were still in danger. I did what I could to help them, but I still don't know how things turned out for sure. I did not want to see that happen again."

>Neu gives you a gentle smile, her antennae fanning out broadly. "I appreciate the sentiment. I'm sure we'll be fine."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
>"Let's hope so."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2012, 08:20:12 AM »
>Smile a little ourselves. Moth's got a nice smile, rare though it is.
>Matter of fact, might a solid wager she doesn't get told that often enough.
>"Anyone ever tell you you got a nice smile?"
>No, no, stick to the business at hand. We need information.

>"Well, I suppose that brings us to the first issue. What I cared to know about Val R and its houses. See, what I'm thinking is, given the trouble I had in Braston, finding someone that knows what this thing I've got is, and how to treat it, could be a task and a half. And rare things, or people with rare knowledge, tend to be acquired by people with the most money, the most power. I'm thinking that, in one way or another, I may end up dealing with one of these Houses in order to find a cure. In case that priestess' 'Shintoist' lead doesn't pan out."
>"And if I do, knowing which noble is the easiest one to work with, or the best one, would help. If it comes to that, of course."

« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2012, 08:26:52 PM »
>"Let's hope so."

>She nods.

>Smile a little ourselves. Moth's got a nice smile, rare though it is.
>Matter of fact, might a solid wager she doesn't get told that often enough.
>"Anyone ever tell you you got a nice smile?"
>No, no, stick to the business at hand. We need information.

>"Well, I suppose that brings us to the first issue. What I cared to know about Val R and its houses. See, what I'm thinking is, given the trouble I had in Braston, finding someone that knows what this thing I've got is, and how to treat it, could be a task and a half. And rare things, or people with rare knowledge, tend to be acquired by people with the most money, the most power. I'm thinking that, in one way or another, I may end up dealing with one of these Houses in order to find a cure. In case that priestess' 'Shintoist' lead doesn't pan out."
>"And if I do, knowing which noble is the easiest one to work with, or the best one, would help. If it comes to that, of course."

>You return Neu's smile; it isn't something you've seen often from her, but there's a quiet gentleness to it that you find oddly becoming. Unfortunately, it doesn't last very long before giving way to a frown once more.

>"That's a difficult question," she says, "and I'm not sure I'm in a position to answer; I've had limited dealings with any of them and can speak mostly of their reputations. Of the three, Lady Scarlet is the most munificent, though often when it can be made to benefit her in some way. She makes a show of being accessible to the public, though so many people compete for her favor that it may be hard to gain her notice."

>"Kaguya is... oh, Lady Houraisan, excuse me. She is an odd person, seemingly human, yet hasn't appeared to age in centuries. She hails from Takemura and the rural areas to the west of the city proper - my own birthplace, incidentally. She has a sort of sleepy and unasuming demeanor, almost simple somehow, and often secludes herself from the city and its politics entirely. Yet somehow she continues to maintain one of the greatest positions of influence there." Neu shakes her head and sighs lightly. "I don't pretend to understand the web of backroom dealings these nobles play."
>"In any case, I would say she's the most approachable of the three - I've spoken with her myself when I was younger - but I'm also unsure if you could expect any help from her. At the risk of being unkind, she always struck me as slightly aloof from the reality around her. That being said, she also seemed a kindly sort, and is held in fond regard by the people of her region."

>She pauses a moment. "Lady Mizuhashi is... well, actually I'm not sure I know that much about her at all. She's a youkai of some sort, and her House is a relatively new player in the city - I believe she may actually be of Rhashavalan heritage - but has managed to quickly rise to prominence in recent years. Her reputation is somewhat worse than Lady Scarlet's, though it wouldn't surprise me if this was Remilia's own doing - certainly, House Mizuhashi seems the greatest threat to maintaining her stable balance of power. Lady Mizuhashi is a rather less visible figure in the city than her; from your position, I suppose that could be either good or bad. I've heard some claim she's a hedonist, but I'm not sure how seriously such remarks can be taken. And frankly, I think the same could probably be said for most of them, in one way or another. Whether or not she would care to assist, I can't honestly speculate."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »
>"Well, guess I may have to try all three if it really comes to it."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2012, 11:03:04 PM »
>"Even if that's reputation, it's still more information than I had before. Plus, I had a hunch that you'd be somewhat less biased than most folks I'd ask in the city, if these three have as much influence as you think they do."

« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2012, 11:35:42 PM »
>"Well, guess I may have to try all three if it really comes to it."

>"I would personally favor resources outside their direct involvement first," she says, "but your business is your own, of course."

>"Even if that's reputation, it's still more information than I had before. Plus, I had a hunch that you'd be somewhat less biased than most folks I'd ask in the city, if these three have as much influence as you think they do."

>"They have great influence in the politics of the city, true, but that doesn't mean the average person there is much invested in the games they play with each other. Despite how it must sound, I was never much of one for politics, either. Nobles squabble, life goes on."

« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2012, 11:47:03 PM »
>"So much the better, then. I'm not anxious about getting caught up in some power play between women with too much money."
>"Mind you, that doesn't say anything about after I'm fixed. I'm still a Seeker, after all, and Val Razua is still Val Razua. Figuring out who's the best choice for Seeker opportunities while I'm here this time'll help me when I'm there the second time."

« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2012, 12:07:58 AM »
>"So much the better, then. I'm not anxious about getting caught up in some power play between women with too much money."
>"Mind you, that doesn't say anything about after I'm fixed. I'm still a Seeker, after all, and Val Razua is still Val Razua. Figuring out who's the best choice for Seeker opportunities while I'm here this time'll help me when I'm there the second time."

>"Nor should you be, I think."
>A faint hint of a smile touches her face again. "Perhaps it may, at that."

« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2012, 12:34:04 AM »
>Have we heard a description of the Grand Academy in the city, what it looks like?

« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2012, 12:36:28 AM »
>Have we heard a description of the Grand Academy in the city, what it looks like?

>You have not heard a physical description of the place, aside from it being quite large.

« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2012, 12:41:51 AM »
>"One last thing. This Grand Academy of theirs. Chances are, I'll end up there at some point, if for nothing else to learn some more about my friend here." Give Kumokirimaru a pat. "I've heard it's a big place, but that doesn't always mean something stands out. Is it tucked away in some nook in the city, or does it stand out among all the other buildings?"

« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2012, 04:59:48 AM »
>"One last thing. This Grand Academy of theirs. Chances are, I'll end up there at some point, if for nothing else to learn some more about my friend here." Give Kumokirimaru a pat. "I've heard it's a big place, but that doesn't always mean something stands out. Is it tucked away in some nook in the city, or does it stand out among all the other buildings?"

>"It's just north of the inner precincts," she says, "near the Scarlet Promenade. The grounds are quite spacious; it would be hard to miss. In fact, you can see some parts of it from a fair distance." She extracts the pen from its inkwell again. "I'll write this down for you as well."

« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2012, 05:35:17 AM »
>Nod.
>"I presume that said Promenade was named after Remilia herself, or has her family been in power a while?" Pause. "Come to think of it, do vampires HAVE families?"

« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2012, 05:48:52 AM »
>Nod.
>"I presume that said Promenade was named after Remilia herself, or has her family been in power a while?" Pause. "Come to think of it, do vampires HAVE families?"

>"What they term as such, at least," Neu says. "I can't speak to the biology involved. In any case, the current Lady Scarlet is certainly not the first to bear that name. She is the scion of one of the most prominent figures in the city's liberation several centuries ago; this plays no small role in her popularity, I'm sure. I admit I'm uncertain whether the Promenade was named by her, or existed before she assumed leadership of the house; it's not the only landmark you will find bearing that name, I assure you."

« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2012, 05:53:36 AM »
>Liberation? Who liberated it from what, and are either party still around to give us trouble, assuming we know anything of it.
>Ask Neu if we don't know.