Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 45443 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2012, 08:31:37 PM »
>"Thanks."
>Take the moth up on her offer and have ourselves a seat.
>"It's about that... Well, I don't know what else to call it, so 'll just say it. The trick Murasa pulled that made us all start drowning on deck. Or at least, that's what it felt like."

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »
>"Thanks."
>Take the moth up on her offer and have ourselves a seat.
>"It's about that... Well, I don't know what else to call it, so 'll just say it. The trick Murasa pulled that made us all start drowning on deck. Or at least, that's what it felt like."

>Neu nods as you step inside and seat yourself, then takes a seat across from you.
>Neu's face stiffens and her antennae stop in place. "Ah, yes. That." She frowns. "I apologize for you having to go through that. I'm sure the captain would as well; it's not something she does lightly."

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2012, 01:19:36 AM »
>"Don't apologize, I get it. That kind of trick seemed like the kind of thing someone does as a last resort. And it was, of course, we'd all tried everything else. The only shame is it didn't work on the ones it was supposed to work on."
>"I was just curious if that was her ability. I don't meet many ghosts, I didn't know if they shared that quirk with youkai like us."

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2012, 01:57:35 AM »
>"Don't apologize, I get it. That kind of trick seemed like the kind of thing someone does as a last resort. And it was, of course, we'd all tried everything else. The only shame is it didn't work on the ones it was supposed to work on."
>"I was just curious if that was her ability. I don't meet many ghosts, I didn't know if they shared that quirk with youkai like us."

>"I'm still not fully sure how," she says. "The onmyouji may have played a role, or it may have been something more mundane."
>Neu shakes her head. "Not all of them. But that was how she... died, for want of a better term."

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2012, 02:03:18 AM »
>Blink.
>"I'm not sure I follow."

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2012, 02:25:03 AM »
>Blink.
>"I'm not sure I follow."

>Neu lets out a small breath. "Murasa is the ghost of someone who drowned. Someone perhaps quite a bit like her, or perhaps not - even she doesn't remember. It was a long time ago now. But in any case, that is the origin of this power: to make those around her drown as she did. It is... rather grim, when put in those terms."

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2012, 02:34:49 AM »
>"So... what we were experiencing was..."
>Pause.
>"No wonder she doesn't do it 'lightly'."

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2012, 02:41:20 AM »
>"So... what we were experiencing was..."
>Pause.
>"No wonder she doesn't do it 'lightly'."

>"There are multiple reasons, of course," Neu says. "Obviously it isn't something she wishes to inflict on her crew, but she cannot discriminate; anyone near her will be similarly affected. Well, except for Ishi. That was what she was counting on, I'm sure. A pity it turned out not to matter."

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2012, 02:47:43 AM »
>"Does it have any kind of range? When I was talking to the rest of the crew before in the hold, no one mentioned it."

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2012, 03:37:47 AM »
>"Does it have any kind of range? When I was talking to the rest of the crew before in the hold, no one mentioned it."

>"They probably felt it as well," Neu says with a frown. "Perhaps less strongly, but... The crew are all aware of what to expect in an emergency; none would have been at a loss as to the cause."

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2012, 03:58:50 AM »
>Nod, then lean back in our chair a touch.
>"Look, Neu, I realize this may be none of my affair; I don't need to know what you and your shipmates do on the side. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about what, exactly, was so valuable, that it would make Murasa do that to try and keep it out of Aya's hands."

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2012, 04:07:25 AM »
>Nod, then lean back in our chair a touch.
>"Look, Neu, I realize this may be none of my affair; I don't need to know what you and your shipmates do on the side. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about what, exactly, was so valuable, that it would make Murasa do that to try and keep it out of Aya's hands."

>Neu shakes her head. "If you're asking after the relic, I'm afraid I don't have the answer to that question. But her actions were not solely for its sake, I assure you. Aya may have kept to her word in the end, but if you were in Murasa's position, would you have been content to entrust her with your ship and crew like that?"

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2012, 04:09:41 AM »
>Grin a small grin and shake our head. "Not a chance in hell. I wouldn't trust her any farther than I could throw this ship."

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2012, 04:28:15 AM »
>Grin a small grin and shake our head. "Not a chance in hell. I wouldn't trust her any farther than I could throw this ship."

>"I imagine the captain shares your sentiments," Neu says.

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2012, 04:41:30 AM »
>"Well, can I at least ask about wherever that thing was being hidden? Whatever it was, I didn't detect it, and that usually happens for a reason. I'd wondered if there was some kind of... shielding, or something, around it."

« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2012, 04:54:49 AM »
>"Well, can I at least ask about wherever that thing was being hidden? Whatever it was, I didn't detect it, and that usually happens for a reason. I'd wondered if there was some kind of... shielding, or something, around it."

>Neu regards you in silence a moment, the faintest crease in her brow. "I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with the details of how your dowsing works to speculate. As for its location, I'd rather not disclose that information. I hope you can understand."

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2012, 05:09:04 AM »
>"Oh, I wasn't looking for details on where it WAS, that's none of my business. I was just wondering if there was any kind of magic involved to protect what's inside, something to keep folks from sensing what's inside, through magic or something else."

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2012, 05:16:08 AM »
>"Oh, I wasn't looking for details on where it WAS, that's none of my business. I was just wondering if there was any kind of magic involved to protect what's inside, something to keep folks from sensing what's inside, through magic or something else."

>Neu shakes her head. "I'd prefer not to go into details. My apologies."

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2012, 05:30:22 AM »
>Curiosity isn't worth forcing the issue. And she's no more likely to tell us anything else about the damn thing than Murasa was, which probably goes for Ishi, as well.
>"I can respect that."

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2012, 05:39:08 AM »
>Curiosity isn't worth forcing the issue. And she's no more likely to tell us anything else about the damn thing than Murasa was, which probably goes for Ishi, as well.
>"I can respect that."

>Neu nods, an apologetic look on her face. "It's nothing personal."

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2012, 05:53:56 AM »
>"No, I get it."
>Besides, nothing stopping us from having a little douse later.
>"Have you seen Chisato since the attack? Miyuki seemed to think she'd be fine on her own, but she took more than her share of hits. Think we'll need to send for a healer when we get to Val Razua?"

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2012, 06:07:45 AM »
>"No, I get it."
>Besides, nothing stopping us from having a little douse later.
>"Have you seen Chisato since the attack? Miyuki seemed to think she'd be fine on her own, but she took more than her share of hits. Think we'll need to send for a healer when we get to Val Razua?"

>You don't anticipate a problem being sneaky about it, anyway.
>"I went to take a look at her condition briefly last night," she says, "though I haven't seen her yet today. I agree with Miyuki's assessment for the time-being, though it may be best if she were to see someone when we dock in Val Razua  nonetheless." Neu sighs. "I expect she will protest."

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2012, 06:24:06 AM »
>"Knowing her, wouldn't surprise me even a little."
>"I plan to see her myself at some point today. Think it'd do any idea to suggest it to her?"

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2012, 06:31:57 AM »
>"Knowing her, wouldn't surprise me even a little."
>"I plan to see her myself at some point today. Think it'd do any idea to suggest it to her?"

>She shakes her head. "I suspect not, and I don't think I should wish to try, were I in your position."

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2012, 06:41:15 AM »
>Chuckle a little. How bad could she possibly be compared to a band of brigands?
>"Well, you know her better than me. I'll leave that one in your hands."
>"Although, while we're on the subject, you wouldn't happen to know of any healers of note in Val Razua?"

« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2012, 12:16:03 AM »
>Chuckle a little. How bad could she possibly be compared to a band of brigands?
>"Well, you know her better than me. I'll leave that one in your hands."
>"Although, while we're on the subject, you wouldn't happen to know of any healers of note in Val Razua?"

>Neu nods.
>"Of note?" She frowns and inclines her head thoughtfully. "I'm not certain I know of any specific individuals I would apply that term to, though the standard of medical care found in Val Razua is generally quite excellent - provided you're willing to pay suitably for expertise, of course. May I assume you're inquiring for your own sake and not Miss Yatsuragi's?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2012, 12:33:27 AM »
>"Actually, both. Simply because she's not as durable as us Youkai."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2012, 01:41:19 AM »
>"Actually, both. Simply because she's not as durable as us Youkai."

>"Well, in her case, I doubt any particular expertise will be required - the wound on her back was fairly deep, but not life-threatening; the rest seem superficial, even by human standards, and she is a hardy individual. Your situation is... somewhat different, of course." She falls silent for a few moments, then sighs. "I'm afraid I may be unable to help you. I haven't had personal dealings with a healer there for many years, and the only one I could personally recommend passed away some time ago now. I doubt it will be difficult to find someone well-versed in the standard healing arts, but I understand your condition to be... beyond normal expertise. I could give you directions to a hospital, if you'd like, but I can make no claims that they'll be able to help."

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2012, 01:49:21 AM »
>"Anything for a start."
>Grin slightly. "This IS my first time in the big city after all. I don't know much more about the place that any other tourist does."

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2012, 02:22:02 AM »
>"Anything for a start."
>Grin slightly. "This IS my first time in the big city after all. I don't know much more about the place that any other tourist does."

>"Very well." She turns and produces a fresh sheet of paper from her desk, then deftly withdraws the pen from its inkwell.
>"Most of what is said about the city is indeed true," she says, busily scribing at the paper with sharp and precise strokes. "Arguably exaggerated, but not without basis. Certainly there are more great works of art and architecture within its borders than in the rest of the central nations combined, and the Academy's reputation for magical scholarship is earned honestly. From a business perspective, it is easily the largest market for luxury goods in the world. But it is still a real city, and despite what some would have you believe, far from all its streets are lined with marble and manicured gardens." She dips her pen in the inkwell, then frowns. "I apologize if I'm being too dour."