Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 46704 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2012, 04:37:55 PM »
>Liberation? Who liberated it from what, and are either party still around to give us trouble, assuming we know anything of it.
>Ask Neu if we don't know.

>It does sound vaguely familiar, but you can't recall the details of when or why. You're pretty sure it's not some ongoing threat, at least, or you figure you'd have heard more about it. You decide to ask.
>"Why, the oni, of course," Neu says, one of her antennae bobbing slightly. "Are you not familiar with history?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
>"It's sorta familiar, but I didn't really know the when and why."
>What do we know about Oni? Beyond them being a rowdy bunch generally suited to being dockworkers that is.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »
>What do we know about Oni? Beyond them being a rowdy bunch generally suited to being dockworkers that is.

>Oni are youkai of exceptional physical strength and legendary fondness for alchohol, often verging on boorish, yet scrupulously honest. They're often seen as prone to violence, but rarely malicious, and rarely flaunt their muscle against people who couldn't hold their own in a fight. In Braston, at least, they are partially segregated from the general population and largely self-governing, though this seems more due to strong racial ties among them than any sort of institutionalized racism - certainly humans and oni can be found working side by side in several industries, and both are equal citizens under the law. Braston has a larger oni population than anywhere else, so you've heard - you always assumed this was a consequence of the mining there - but you've frankly been around them for enough years now that their presence feels pretty normal. Whatever role they played in Val Razua's history isn't something you've heard them talk about.

>"It's sorta familiar, but I didn't really know the when and why."

>"Well, I can't claim to be much of a historian myself," she says, "but the oni wars were a defining historic event for the central nations. That and you hear someone repeat the story every Sovereignty Day." She screws up her face a little. "Rather ironiclly, the last time I was there for it, there were oni running concession stands. I even saw one trying to hawk crude commemerative carvings." She shrugs. "Well, it's not like there's any real resentment there these days; it was a very long time ago, and a lot less bloody than what happened in the south. Plus I'm sure you have some idea how reliant Val Razua actually is on the oni for its economic prosperity."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »
>Nod. "Yeah, Braston's got a good-sized Oni population anyhow, so I'm pretty used to 'em."
>Chuckle a bit. "Man, before everything went in the crapper, I ended up stopping a fight from breaking out between an Oni and an old friend of mine. The Oni was the instigator by the way, real rowdy one too. Well, by typical standards at least."
>Sigh in a somewhat wistful manner. "Man...When you look back, I probably would've preferred taking a hit from that Oni to being stuck with this 'little problem'."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »
>"One of the unwritten rules of being a Seeker. When you go looking for something, you always find something else along the way."

« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
>Nod. "Yeah, Braston's got a good-sized Oni population anyhow, so I'm pretty used to 'em."
>Chuckle a bit. "Man, before everything went in the crapper, I ended up stopping a fight from breaking out between an Oni and an old friend of mine. The Oni was the instigator by the way, real rowdy one too. Well, by typical standards at least."
>Sigh in a somewhat wistful manner. "Man...When you look back, I probably would've preferred taking a hit from that Oni to being stuck with this 'little problem'."

>"Broken bones will heal," she says, nodding sagely. "Though I wouldn't envy anyone on the receiving end of that."

>"One of the unwritten rules of being a Seeker. When you go looking for something, you always find something else along the way."

>"Yes, your profession does have a certain reputation about it. I understand that's some of the draw."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »
>"Hey, what do you know about the university? Like, important people, quirks about the place, and that sort of thing?"

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2012, 10:47:25 PM »
>"Hey, what do you know about the university? Like, important people, quirks about the place, and that sort of thing?"

>She frowns. "I'm afraid I don't actually know very much about it, aside from reputation. I mean, I've passed by it many times, but rarely had ocassion to go there. But let's see..." Her antennae curl slowly, reminding you almost of someone stretching.
>"Well, the campus is open to the general public and the library as well, though I believe sections of their collection are restricted, and some of their research facilities certainly are. Every now and again you hear stories of magical mishaps, and some of the professors can apparently be a bit... eccentric, but I don't think there's anything you need to worry about as long as you stay to the public-facing areas; the standards of rigor they employ are quite well-respected."
>"The current headmistress is..." She frowns in consternation for several seconds, then shakes her head. "Her name escapes me at the moment, sorry. But I've heard she is a magician of rare skill if somewhat... dour. I'm not particularly familiar with any of the faculty, though. I do know that House Scarlet is a major financial backer and probably has some degree of influence with the administration, though their research isn't considered partisan, as far as I've ever heard. And I imagine certain parties would waste no time in making an accusation like that if there was any truth to it."
>She gives you an apologetic look. "I'm not sure I can be any more helpful than this, I'm afraid; I've never been much of an academic.

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2012, 12:45:49 AM »
>"Neither am I. But if I have to pour over old books to find a cure, or even some directions, then it's good to know they're not gonna turn me away at the door."

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »
>"Neither am I. But if I have to pour over old books to find a cure, or even some directions, then it's good to know they're not gonna turn me away at the door."

>"That much I can vouch for," she says.

« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2012, 01:16:01 AM »
I think that covers all the important issues. She gave us directions, too, and an outsider's opinion on a lot of the points of interest.

>Has Neu finished jotting her notes?

« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2012, 01:17:50 AM »
>Has Neu finished jotting her notes?

>She stopped writing a little while back.

« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2012, 01:51:00 AM »
>Stand, then.
>"Well, I'd say that covers a lot of my bases."

« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2012, 04:18:25 AM »
>Stand, then.
>"Well, I'd say that covers a lot of my bases."

>You stand up.
>"I hope I was able to be of at least some help," Neu says, handing you the note.

« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2012, 04:27:11 AM »
>Chuckle quietly, and smile as we accept the note. "Neu, you passed 'some help' back in Braston. This is gravy on top."

« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2012, 04:33:19 AM »
>Chuckle quietly, and smile as we accept the note. "Neu, you passed 'some help' back in Braston. This is gravy on top."

>She returns your smile gently. "I wish there was something more I could do for you, but I'm glad you feel it was of some use."

« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2012, 04:47:15 AM »
>"Definitely of some use. Thank you."
>Oh, what the hell. We might never see this one again, after we disembark. Even if we find a cure, Maiden might not put into port at Braston for a long long time, if ever. Why not go for it.
>"Anyone ever tell you you got a nice smile?"

I know, I know. Couldn't help myself. :P

« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2012, 05:02:43 AM »
>"Definitely of some use. Thank you."
>Oh, what the hell. We might never see this one again, after we disembark. Even if we find a cure, Maiden might not put into port at Braston for a long long time, if ever. Why not go for it.
>"Anyone ever tell you you got a nice smile?"

>Nearly as soon as you compliment Neu on her smile, it gives way to an uncomfortable frown - there is just enough delay for her to register the words. Her antenna stiffen slightly and fold back. "Not... as such," she says pensively.

« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2012, 05:21:09 AM »
Note to self and others: The next time Sour wants to try a light flirt, somebody stop me. It doesn't work.
Anybody have any suggestions for how I can not cock up even worse? Sour's made a mistake here.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2012, 06:21:32 AM »
We go hard negative and say "Good, they'd be lying through their teeth!"

Just wave it off and retreat. We've hardly broken anything at this point. It'll be an awkward moment quickly forgotten, unless Neu is obsessive about these things upon which we'll have to pitch her overboard. As long as we don't press on it or blatantly panic, things will be fine.

« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2012, 12:59:07 AM »
I really hope you're right.

>Didn't think that would provoke THAT response. Better bail before things get worse. Calmly, of course.
>"Well, then. .. I guess I'd best leave you to your work. Thanks again for all the info."
>Flee! Calmly, of course.

« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2012, 05:39:21 AM »
>Didn't think that would provoke THAT response. Better bail before things get worse. Calmly, of course.
>"Well, then. .. I guess I'd best leave you to your work. Thanks again for all the info."
>Flee! Calmly, of course.

>You decide to hastily backpedel.
>Neu's mouth opens slightly, then closes again; her eyes drift awkwardly aside for a moment. "Ah- v-very well, then." She nods stiffly.
>You make a brisk but calm-seeming exit from her room. Nothing else unpleasant seems to happen.

« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2012, 06:02:55 AM »
>Let's walk a ways down the hall, and the pause and rest our back against the wall to collect our thoughts. That didn't go as planned...
>Head back up on deck, get some of that open air in our tail again.

« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2012, 06:30:09 AM »
>Let's walk a ways down the hall, and the pause and rest our back against the wall to collect our thoughts. That didn't go as planned...
>Head back up on deck, get some of that open air in our tail again.

>You walk back down the hall a bit then prop yourself up against a wall and sigh inwardly. Wasn't exactly the reaction you were looking for back there...
>Then you decide to head for the deck and get some fresh air.

>The breeze that catches you as you emerge topside is bracing; it seems to be colder today than yesterday, though the sun is bright and sky clear. Aside from the bits requiring deliberate carpentry work, the deck is clear of yesterday's mess, and the situation here looks normal and even.

« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2012, 06:39:39 AM »
>Are there any blobs of land within view, small or otherwise?
>Are we aware of any metals that thwart our 'standard' scans?

« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »
>Are there any blobs of land within view, small or otherwise?
>Are we aware of any metals that thwart our 'standard' scans?

>You can spot a couple small islets in the far distance, but the sky is otherwise nearly empty at the moment.
>You've never encountered something that outright prevents you sensing things on the other side of it, at least as far as you're aware. Some give off much stronger and more distinct resonances than others, however, which you suppose could drown out weaker ones in their immediate vacinity in a similar manner that a loud noise could mask a quiet one. It certainly would not be an absolute thing, though.

« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
>Did we get a good enough look at what those pirates came here to steal, before they decided to steal everything else they felt like, to be able to guess what it was made of?

« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2012, 11:40:17 PM »
>Did we get a good enough look at what those pirates came here to steal, before they decided to steal everything else they felt like, to be able to guess what it was made of?

>The material it was made of looked a little odd, and wasn't readily identifiable. Of course, you never tried to dowse it either. It might have been some kind of stone, possibly?

« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2012, 01:38:01 AM »
>Let's assume it was some kind of stone, then. If that lump of stone were concealed within, say, a wooden box, or a metal one, or a mixture of both, would we be able to detect the rock though that shielding?

« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2012, 01:46:21 AM »
>Let's assume it was some kind of stone, then. If that lump of stone were concealed within, say, a wooden box, or a metal one, or a mixture of both, would we be able to detect the rock though that shielding?

>Assuming the base material was something you could detect, that should be no problem whatsoever. Moreover, there would almost certainly be far more wood and metal between you and the box, simply in the form of walls and flooring, than the box itself could provide.