Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 45403 times)

(Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:55:24 PM »
>You are Nazrin, a newly inducted member of the Seeker's Guild, and you are dying. But at least you've stopped bleeding, so perhaps you can call this progress?

>Your career got off to an interesting and busy start last week, between stolen cats, missing cattle, and sword-wielding fairies, but things took a much darker turn when an encounter with a wild spider youkai left you infected with a mysterious and deadly illness. Thanks to Minoriko's creative thinking and the power of an ancient sword found buried in the spider's lair, the Blight has been kept at bay. For now. But you've been told you have no more than a couple weeks to live, unless a cure can be found. A cure that very likely may not even exist. Still, you are determined to try - finding hard-to-find things is what you do, after all.

>Your efforts on that front have met little success so far. No doctor in Braston could identify your condition or offer aid, nor were you able to obtain more than the barest clue of your sword's origins from the visiting archaeologists. Now you have placed your hopes in Val Razua and its Grand Academy, the single greatest repository of scholarship in Gensokyo; if the information you seek can be found anywhere, then there's a good chance it can be found there. To that end, you obtained passage on the Blue Maiden, a speedy transport ship run by a Captain Murasa. After helping to resolve the issue of a stolen export license that was keeping them tied up in port, you departed for Val Razua last night, and looked forward to a few days of peace before resuming your search.

>Unfortunately, your passage met another obstacle this afternoon in the form of pirates seeking a relic that Murasa was secretly transporting. A fierce battle ensued, but despite all the struggling and bleeding you did on behalf of your hosts, your side was ultimately unsuccessful in preventing Aya and her crew from commandeering the Blue Maiden and obtaining what they were seeking. You only got a glance at the object, but couldn't make heads or tails of what it was supposed to be, and Murasa has claimed to be similarly in the dark. But at least they're gone now, and business has been getting back to usual even quicker than you would have expected. Hopefully there won't be any more unpleasant surprises waiting between here and Val Razua....

>Currently, you are in the Maiden's galley with Miyuki, the pair of you having just finished getting tonight's shepherd's pie into the oven.

>Give her a nod. We can understand.
>"I think everyone has something like that. A little thing that just feels... right."

>"I've never really thought of it like that," she says. "It was just something I enjoyed doing. But I suppose you could be right." For a moment, her eyes grow slightly distant and a weary look seems to come over her face. Then she bends down and peers in the oven. "I think it'll be pretty good once it's cooked."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »
>Nod. "Yeah, it should be nice."
>Can we smell it yet?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:38:33 PM »
>Thwarted by PHYSICS!
>Does that gesture seemed to have been caused by fatigue?

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 11:04:15 PM »
>Nod. "Yeah, it should be nice."
>Can we smell it yet?

>She nods. "Mmm-hmm."
>Of course, though it hasn't been cooking nearly long enough yet to have that warm and sumptuous flavor to it; you only just put it in the oven, really.

>Thwarted by PHYSICS!
>Does that gesture seemed to have been caused by fatigue?

>Yeah, it really sucks that things don't just fall through floors. That would be- aahhhhhhh!!!!
>It's possible, but it might as well be emotional as physical.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:10:12 PM »
>"Anything else that needs be done, or can you go take a load off?"

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »
>Can we make anything in the realm of dessert?

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:20 PM »
>"Anything else that needs be done, or can you go take a load off?"

>"Well, I'll probably straighten out the rest of the kitchen a bit." She lets out a sigh. "This is twice in two days I've had to go through the place. First Chisato's mouse, and then the pirates."

>Can we make anything in the realm of dessert?

>If it comes out of a tin, sure. Well, you suppose you could do better than that if you had a recipe to follow.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 11:20:26 PM »
>"Well, on the bright side, we're still alive."
>Let's see what we can do about dessert then.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:49:50 PM »
>"I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't take anything from here, myself. But they're gone, that's the important thing, back to whatever hole they crawled out of."
>"Now, back to the matter at hand. I don't suppose you've got jotted down a dessert recipe around here where, have you?"

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 01:13:19 AM »
>"Well, on the bright side, we're still alive."
>Let's see what we can do about dessert then.

>"Yes," she replies simply.
>While dessert would certainly not go astray, culinary creativity is not your long suit. It would help if you knew where to start.

>"I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't take anything from here, myself. But they're gone, that's the important thing, back to whatever hole they crawled out of."
>"Now, back to the matter at hand. I don't suppose you've got jotted down a dessert recipe around here where, have you?"

>"They might have, for all I know," she says. "People come here at all hours and take what they like. But at least they didn't strip it bare, I guess."
>She looks and you and grins. "Did you want to start in on round 2 already, then?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 01:32:19 AM »
>Grin. "Why not? Best way to keep morale high y;know."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 01:34:31 AM »
>"Peeling potatoes is one thing, desserts are kinda outta my league. Be honest, I'm not sure I'd know where to start. Hence, a recipe."

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 03:15:13 AM »
>Grin. "Why not? Best way to keep morale high y;know."

>"I imagine a few of them will pretty drunk before the night is out," she adds wryly.

>"Peeling potatoes is one thing, desserts are kinda outta my league. Be honest, I'm not sure I'd know where to start. Hence, a recipe."

>"Well, you certainly seem motivated," she says, the pauses thoughtfully for a moment. "We do have a lot of fruit at the moment. Maybe we could make a tart?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 03:19:11 AM »
>Nod thoughtfully. "Yeah, that should work. Shame we don't have any cheeses that would work, you'd be surprised how some cheeses and fruits go together."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 03:21:01 AM »
>Nod thoughtfully. "Yeah, that should work. Shame we don't have any cheeses that would work, you'd be surprised how some cheeses and fruits go together."

>Miyuki laughs warmly. "That's a bit of a thing with you, isn't it?"

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 03:21:56 AM »
>Chuckle a bit. "Can't help it, it's a mouse's prerogative to know and love cheeses."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 03:22:17 AM »
>"Precious little at the supper table can't be improved by liberal application of cheese."
>Presumably we've eaten a tart at least once before, or have seen them. Do we have a favourite?

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 03:59:09 AM »
>Chuckle a bit. "Can't help it, it's a mouse's prerogative to know and love cheeses."
>"Precious little at the supper table can't be improved by liberal application of cheese."
>Presumably we've eaten a tart at least once before, or have seen them. Do we have a favourite?

>She just chuckles and shakes her head. "I'll take your word for it."
>Not particularly; you're not really a fussy eater in general.

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 04:20:39 AM »
>Well, be she fatigued or not, if we tried to tell her to take it easy, she'd just yell at us for 'coddling her' again, safe bet. Best just to stay focused on the task at hand.
>"Speaking of fruits and drinks, is there anything we'll need brought up from the hold for later?"

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 04:23:45 AM »
>Well, be she fatigued or not, if we tried to tell her to take it easy, she'd just yell at us for 'coddling her' again, safe bet. Best just to stay focused on the task at hand.
>"Speaking of fruits and drinks, is there anything we'll need brought up from the hold for later?"

>"Not right now, I don't think," she says, shaking her head. "Maybe once I've gone over and put everything back where it's supposed to be."

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 04:27:59 AM »
>Nod. "Alright, so let's get the tart started then, shall we?"
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 04:29:46 AM »
>And while we're doing that, keep an eye open for anything obviously out of place, and put it back where it belongs, if we know where it goes. And if we don't, ask.
>Especially if it's heavy, we're in much better nick than the human.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 05:08:09 AM »
>Nod. "Alright, so let's get the tart started then, shall we?"

>She returns your nod. "Okay, let's."

>And while we're doing that, keep an eye open for anything obviously out of place, and put it back where it belongs, if we know where it goes. And if we don't, ask.
>Especially if it's heavy, we're in much better nick than the human.

>The two of you get down to work again, washing and cutting fruit and preparing the pastry. Miyuki takes charge of most of the tasks requiring any culinary finesse while delegating you to the manual labor. You make some effort to tidy up the last traces of the pirate's ransacking while you're at it, moving pots and plates and foodstuffs back to their respective homes. A couple sailors come and go while you're at it, grabbing themselves some leftovers and a quick sandwich before returning to their duties. Miyuki exchanges some idle banter with them - she's evidently not at all territorial about her kitchen - though you note that any griping about the pirates is relegated largely to a single side of the conversation. They inquire after what she's preparing for supper, of course, the warm and wholesome aroma of the pies in the oven now starting to permeate the galley. And, of course, she feels the need to point out your role in it, giving you far more credit than you deserve for mindless knifework. You grumble inwardly and brush it off; you suppose it's nice to be appreciated, at least. Before too long, the others are on their way and the tart is looking scrumptious in its dish, crowned with concentric rings of kiwi and strawberry slices encircling a cluster of raspberries.

>"I suppose all that's left now is to eat it," Miyuki says, regarding the finished product with a satisfied smile. She does look tired, though.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 05:14:26 AM »
>Nod. "Yeah, just about time to get dinner started, eh? Let's get stuff ready then."
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 05:36:44 AM »
>"Is there a... dinner bell aboard, or does every come down when the smell drafts out?"

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 05:47:44 AM »
>Nod. "Yeah, just about time to get dinner started, eh? Let's get stuff ready then."

>"Not much more to getting ready than cutting the pies up," she says, "but sure. Take the first pie out of the oven, if you would? It's easier for you to bend down right now than me." She chuckles sheepishly.

>"Is there a... dinner bell aboard, or does every come down when the smell drafts out?"

>"Well, it's about the right time of the evening for it," she says. "You just get into a routine after a while. We'll probably have a crowd before too long, now."

>And, sure enough, you've barely finished cutting up slices when the first hungry mouth walks in the door. Miyuki serves the sailor a very generous helping of cheese-drizzled shepherd's, along with a mug of ale on request, but almost before she's seated, another pair walk in the door together.
>"Go serve yourself up some, Nazrin," Miyuki says, glancing at the new arrivals. "You've done plenty, and I can manage this just fine. Really."

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 06:49:49 AM »
>"All right, you're the chef. I'll save you a seat for when you want to sit down yourself."
>Considering what happened the last time we went near ale, best just acquire whatever kind of fruit drink is handiest to accompany our pie. And then acquire a plateful of our well-earned pie.
>And then acquire a chair.

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 07:59:58 PM »
>"All right, you're the chef. I'll save you a seat for when you want to sit down yourself."
>Considering what happened the last time we went near ale, best just acquire whatever kind of fruit drink is handiest to accompany our pie. And then acquire a plateful of our well-earned pie.
>And then acquire a chair.

>"No shortage of chairs," she says with a smile.
>You decide to give the alchohol a wide berth and opt instead for a glass of orange juice from the Chill-O-Matic (after Miyuki warns you off the pineapple juice on threat of territorial kappa). Then you take a plate and help yourself to an ample slice of your handiwork. The aroma wafting warmly from it is positively mouth-watering - you're honestly verging on starvation by this point.
>You take your meal over to a empty table and seat yourself. Time to dig in!

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 08:06:33 PM »
>It HAS been a long time since we ate, hasn't it.
>Itadakimasu!

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2012, 08:34:58 PM »
>It HAS been a long time since we ate, hasn't it.
>Itadakimasu!

>Not since a late-ish breakfast.
>You raise your fork and apply it with gusto, wasting very little time in getting your meal down the hatch. It tastes about as good as it smells and the cheese blend really does turn out to work alright in the end. It's not especially fancy fare, but you're not at all in the mood to be picky. More sailors arrive while you're at it, and before you know it, the place is buzzing with conversation. Without particularly meaning to, you find your ears turning here and there, idly eavesdropping on the chatter. For the most part, it's not particularly interesting - a mix of commiseration, implausible threats against the pirates should they return, and complaints about the work left in their wake. That being said, spirits seem better than you might have expected after the day's events.
>You find yourself nearing the end of your pie before Miyuki has even taken the chance to sit down.