Author Topic: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! R.I.P CrossedHorns: (BAD END)  (Read 38683 times)

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Re: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! CrossedHorns: Summer 106
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2012, 04:43:29 AM »
Walls are immune to everything (except the player) even if they're wooden.
Indestructable destructable walls? Ha.

A Flan-type yukkuri would be a nightmare... :ohdear: Pray it does not happy, NekoRex! I want to live up to my name and slice enemies to pieces with my sword!

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »
The Fall of Year 1 will forever go down in Suikan history... assuming the history can be recovered.

The Journal of NekoRex:
This notebook was found covered in blood on the body's corpse - thankfully this is one of the few bodies that was found in what historians believe to be "the safe zone"

Year 1, Autumn

Day 4:
This month I decided to start out by going on a mission. A mission only I, the invincible NekoRex could undertake.
Time to survey some caverns.

The caverns were beautiful.

But deadly, so I knew I had to scout it myself, in my steel armor.
I was clearly the only one qualified to do this.

Unfortunately there wasn't much to explore.

However, another section of land caught my eye across the waters. I've made orders to dig to this new area and explore this cavern further.

Month 2 of Autumn
Day 2:
The miners FINALLY completed the tunnel. It took much longer then anticipated.

Unfortunately, this section of land was also miniscule. There was one last island that could be seen. I had to dig to that.

---

Day 12:
(this message is hastily scrawled)
According to my report, the body of Wymar was "found" today.

Apparently he had a run-in with a Cave Croc while digging to the new island. This is not what I anticipated. I should have been more vigilant in my patrols.
Worse still, this death came with a terrible discovery.

This curse... it extends deep into the earth. Wymar's body has been defiled.
This horrible scene was witnessed by one of the citizens.

While she managed to run away, in the panic, she forgot to warn MaidXan, who's life now rests in my hands.

Only I can take responsibility for this horrible loss. I will have to deal with this Croc menace myself, to save Xan and recover the body.

May the gods grant me the strength of the real Suika Ibuki to resolve this task, and defeat this menace. With my axe, and my shining armor, only I, NekoRex can prevail.

The journal ends here.

---

---

The events continue to unfold down in the caverns of Crossedhorns. MaidXan still has a rather large obstacle between her and the safety of the hole the suikas call home.

Unfortunately, the one croc isn't the only thing that's messing up plans around here. Stupidity is a terrible disease. Running unarmed into the face of danger with no intent in combat, only idiots could be so foolish.

For his her stupidity, NotaPirate promptly died.

This adding more obstacles for MaidXan.

MaidXan tried to run, she managed to get past the zombie, but that presented an entirely new problem.

One that would end in a small victory.

A small, short lived victory.

---

Orders were made to seal off the new tunnels. For this reason, The Strongest! was sent in to defend the chamber.
Third Eye Guy promptly found out how important it was to keep your arm properly holstered.

Syanas wept.

---

---

MEANWHILE ON THE SURFACE

SUIKAS RUNNING

ZOMBIES TURNING GAY
(for the joy of getting inside my fort)

IT WAS AMAZING

And then Traders arrived!

And everyone went mad.

The End.

(Will NekoRex manage to hold out till winter?)
(Considering his character is dead, probably not!)

Death Tolls!

Dead:
Wymar
NekoRex
Notapirate
Maid Xan
Third Eye Guy
Goombageek

Insane:
Syanas
Grimlocke

About To Crack:
Highzealot

Sick And Dying:
Arashi Kurobara
Raikaria

Doing Good Enough (For Now):
Mokou-Power
CaptainArchmage
Totaku
Alkhemia
Chaore
Anthy
Hideki
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2012, 12:52:28 PM »
.... *slowly claps*.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:54:49 PM by Syanas »

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
Balls of Steel, literally. Although they're kind of rotten now.

Since I missed the sign-ups, I'll just be sitting in that corner over there, cheering you guys on. =)

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »
Balls of Steel, literally. Although they're kind of rotten now.

Since I missed the sign-ups, I'll just be sitting in that corner over there, cheering you guys on. =)

Actually you are welcome to join in at any time. If your looking to play, just let me know and I'll put you in the bottom of the list. If your here to spectate, just let me know and I'll toss you in there as well.

Also Rex, you are now experiencing the wonder of FUN! : )

When we all asked for Lunatic, you got what you asked for. XD So enjoy the FUN!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:59:22 PM by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
Re: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! CrossedHorns: Fall 106
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2012, 10:44:01 PM »
holy crap that was quick. 

Badass bookworms

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2012, 12:44:56 AM »
Winter, Year 1

...Actually I don't have much to report for Winter. I spent pretty much all of it cleaning up the mess I made during autumn.

Starting with a mass-grave.

Here lies the 8 brave suikas who each died for hilariously bad reasons. May their respective forum members not murder me in my sleep.

Syanas and Grimlocke eventually died of thirst, and were successfully entombed before they could zombify.

Eventually the Suikan Traders left, preferring to take the Underground Route out of the fort.
Since Grimlocke destroyed the Trade Depot they left most of their shit with me, including several picks and a bunch of armor. That should prove useful to the next player.

I requested a shit-ton of iron and steel bars, along with more armor and warhammers and some other essential goods, so the next caravan will hopefully bring the goods.

Nobody else died aside from the insane folk, which means there's plenty of suikas still running around. HighZealot is the only remaining survivor of the Original Seven. Lucky bastard.

And that pretty much concludes Year 1 of Crossedhorns. Pretty exciting, eh?

All the jobs are covered so it'll be like starting back at Year 1, except with 3 more suikas then usual.

I left a few Notes for the next player. Yes, the levers are marked.
The only real problem that Crossedhorns has is that the fort entrance is a squatting ground for a few undead folk, which is going to be a problem for the next migrant wave. However, this is not my problem, so whatever. That'll be your challenge for the Spring.

Here's the save! Good luck! Have FUN!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:04:12 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

highzealot

• The Highly Zealous Let's Playing Wolf Lord
  • Suika and Russ: Ultimate Drinking Buddies
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2012, 12:55:26 AM »
Journal of HighZealot

I've survived. My beardhorns intact. They say only the insane have the strength to prosper and only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane. Those who died were the lucky one because they did not need to see the insanity that comes with prosperity for there is no peace among this world. Only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter... of the gap youkai.

(Also, I can't see the picture because I apparently don't have permission to access them)

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2012, 01:01:10 AM »
Bah, let me just upload to photobucket then.

Knew that the Something Awful image hosting would be no good
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:02:44 AM by NekoNekoRex »

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2012, 01:29:50 AM »
Looks good, I'll take my turn then.

Totaku

Re: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! CrossedHorns: Winter 106
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2012, 06:30:11 AM »
And with that Syanas will now take her turn.... But in the meantime.... an intermission piece!

Yukari sat as she watched the events unfold in the little world she crafted to put Suika up to tha chllenge. The first year was quite rough as 6 out of 7 of the orginal founders have died and now some of them have become updead... and to top it off now there are corpses roaming around both above and below the area.... Somehow Suika was able to keep most of the Suikas alive thankfully....

"Well, I'm quite impressed that you managed to survive the first year in such a terrible place. Most don't even make it past the first season without becoming part of the cursed here."

"Yeah, it was no problem, though I wish I didn't mess up so much."

"Well everyone learns your mistakes, so what doesn't kill you should make you stronger."

Just then, two girls came walking up to the shrine looking tired and exhausted, a red and white shrine maiden and a black and white magician....

"Reimu, why do you think the hermit had us work with her animals today?"

"She told us, that perhaps if we bonded more with her pets that maybe we could find a way to better ourselves I think."

"I feel like I've become someone's animal caretaker.... also giant eagles aren't my thing... it's not like riding a broom ze!"

"I think you letting it get over your head Marisa. Either way, I just glad that's over. I don't want to continue being a babysitter..."

Just then Reimu and Marisa arrive at the shrine and notice Suika and Yukari sitting at the front steps as they saw them talking and interacting with some strange land formation that was on the table.

"Great.... now I have two youkai lounging at my Shrine..." Reimu mutters with discontent.

Yukari turns around and sees Reimu and waves in her direction.

"Oh Reimu, I see your back finally!"

"Yeah, and why are you two sitting here in front of my shrine...."

"Well you see, Suika here has been a little bored since you left so the two of us decided to play a little game here."

Yukari then points at the table with the land structure and what looked like barren dead forest with blue slime dripping form the trees. Reimu looks at it with a sense of confusion....

"Exactly what does this have to do with anything?"

"Oh you probably can't see... so here let me show you...

Yukari create a few gaps in the layers of dirt and shift the land upward revealing what looked like a busy little settlement filled with tiny duplicates of Suikas running around gather stuff....

"Just what is this all about? And why are there tiny versions of you in this Suika?"

"I'm taking on a challege from Yukari Reimu~!" Suika shouted as she took another swig of her sake before focusing on the game again.

"Great... This feels like I'm looking at an oni playing around with an ant farm... I don't have time for this I'm going to eat right now...."

"Oh? May I join you then? We haven't for a while...."

Reimu lets out a sigh before accepting Yukari request...

"Fine, I guess your welcome..."

Mean while Marisa comes over and checks out the land Suika is focusing on...

"Wow this is really neat ze! What are you trying to do here?"

"I'm making a land in which my kind can survive and thrive!" Suika said cheerfully

"How did it all start actually?"

"Well there were  7 little version of me that came to the area and we had to go hide from the strange things that roam here and....

"Oh so they are the founders? Can I see them?"

Suika looks down with a bit of depression....

"All have died except for one......"

Marisa seem a little disappointed....

"Huh, you mean they are all killed by the crazy things that are roaming around up in that slime ridden forest?"

"No.... it was underground...."

"Heh, so the danger is all over the place isn't it." Marisa said with a big grin."

"Yeah, pretty much, but I think I can handle it"

"Mmmm... well since the founders aren't around. The least I can tell you to do is give them all a proper burial." Otherwise they're just going keep looking for blood everywhere they go. In fact if you can do that by the end of the year, then you should try to get other that die buried as well!"

"You think that'll be possible?"

"Well if you plan things out, you shouldn't have much trouble right? At least with the ones who you can actually retrieve...."

"Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem!"

"Think you can get the dead founders in their resting place by a year?"

"Your on!"

"Say I'm also curious... Suika..."

"Think you have what it takes to catch a thief?"

"Huh?"

" I think you can, but I advice you... it's harder to do than you think."

CHALLENGES!

We the Founders:Keep the Founders alive at all cost! Do not let them die (exception is old age of course) FAILED!

Proper respect of your fellow founding Suika: Bury your founding Suikas in a proper burial site) Condition must be completed before next spring

It takes a thief...: Capture an Inaba or Yukkudaiyousei thief... ALIVE! Condition must be completed before 5 years from Spring

There you go Syanas, Good luck! You're gonna need it!
Now I Twitter

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2012, 05:30:16 PM »
Wait... how did I get sick and die?

I come in to check and suddenly I got named and died :D

Also, I was a solider but not part of the army. 0_0 What were my skill levels like? I kinda wanna know if I was sword, spear, hammer, ect.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »
You're not dead? Last I checked you were the only soldier that wasn't insane or dead. Course Syanas might have changed that.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2012, 06:10:35 PM »
You're not dead? Last I checked you were the only soldier that wasn't insane or dead. Course Syanas might have changed that.

Oh, I heard I was sick/wounded so presumed I was dead.

Then I figured out what that screen in the update meant that wasn't from Dwarf Fortress [It's Dwarf Psychologist or w/e it's called, right? Never used it] was zZz, or, asleep.

Basically, interface awareness fail.

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2012, 02:00:09 AM »
   20th Sandstone, Year 106

It has barely been one year since our accidental arrival to this desolate, foul wasteland, and all that remains of the original seven are HighZealot, Grimlocke, and myself. After repeatedly cautioning NekoRex about the dangers of the caverns, it was unexpected for news to arrive that he, along with our other friends, had disappeared in the cavern depths.After hearing the news of Neko's untimely demise, the world began to lose its hue. Food no longer held any taste for me, and even the plentiful sake no longer brought me delight. I was tired, lonely, and worst of all, sober.

I am slipping away, and although there is still work to be done, I feel that I can no longer lift a hand for my fellow suikans. Thus, I will begin drawing plans until my replacement arrives next spring.

1st Granite, Year 107, from the desk of High Zealot

A diary of the late Syanas was found, and inside were plans drawn for expanding the fort, as well as a list of specific instructions until the end of spring. It has been a painful year, but there is no point in sitting around and letting ourselves be killed in this rotten hole.

Of particular note are Syanas's designs for a grand hall. It may be a bit large for our small community but she predicts it will grow, and soon. As if there are any sane Suikas in the world who would make the journey here, but I will respect her wishes nonetheless.

Additionally, there are plans drawn by Nyotor to expand the dormitory and eventually construct a hospital.

---

Of all of the Suikas left in the fort, only 3 have any experience in battle. To this end, Syanas had urged for the construction of a line of cage traps in hopes of keeping the majority of the undead at bay while the walls are lowered.

Even though we have most of the supplies that the traders left, we are still short on equipment and wood. Therefore, we must use the last of our metal and charcoal supplies to round off the defenses.

Lastly, the order has been given to temporarily seal the underground caverns until an appropriate defense is created to deal with the creatures below.

2nd Granite, Year 107

Today there were sounds beyond the wall of someone's brains being crushed, then some soft chewing sounds. I decided I didn't want to know.

Whoever it was, they didn't last long.

8th Slate, Year 107

It has been over a year since my predecessor has gone ahead in search of the Forest of Happiness. Nyotor decided it was high time to go on ahead and look for them, so he dragged me along with 26 other companions for the ride.

"You're lost. Tell me otherwise and I won't hesitate to throw your sake gourd into the river." I muttered. Surveying the ruined landscape, my gaze turned towards a small hill.
"According to the map, it should be around here..." Nyotor paused to check his map when he felt a hand gripping his shoulder.
"Hey, I'm trying to check the-"
"Stay quiet, and look at the hill over there." I whispered, slowly nodded towards the hill in the distance.
"What's wrong with the hill?" Nyotor squinted his eyes.

"Wha...what is that!?" AaronIII shrieked before Purvis clasped his hand over AaronIII's mouth.

I pointed at the left side of the hill.

"I don't know, but look. There's the remains of a caravan."
"Could everyone have died here before making it to the forest?" Patchy peered at the walking dead before lifting the book back in front of her face.

I bit my lip. It was certainly possible. Looking back at the other Suikas with puzzled looks and fearful gazes, I decided there was only one option available.

"...We head out and search the hill."
"WHAT!? WE-" Nyotor bursted out.
"Quietly!"
"...We don't have a lot of weapons or armor here. What are we going to do about our luggage?" Nyotor solemnly reasoned.
"And you don't want to find out what happened to our predecessors? If they're dead, we should at least give them a proper burial..." I lowered my head.

Nyotor scratched his head and looked over at the hill, then back to the other Suikas.

"Well, I guess I can't argue with that. Let's make up a plan." Nyotor sighed.

14th Slate, Year 107

"I want to take a bath!" Patchy whined, still wincing from the blisters on her body. The rain proved deadly, and while we were on a relatively safer area near the hill, the brook was on the other side of it. There was no chance to run over and take a leisurely bath without losing someone.

"What do you think we should do, Syanas?" Nyotor inquired.

We were split into 2 full squads, with the injured, the pets, and the children staying close behind. The plan was to have our makeshift military clear the hill, and have the others follow after. If we failed, they were to bring our legends back home.

"There's nothing to do but wait until the rain subsides..." I craned my head up towards the sky.

The same day, Year 107, from the desk of High Zealot

Today, I heard CaptianArchmage playing with his kochenkkuris downstairs when suddenly I heard the unmistakeable sound of a gourd dropping to the floor. I rushed over to the stairs to see what was wrong with him only to get knocked onto the floor by a suika with fire in his eyes and rocks on the mind.

"I MUST HAVE ROCKS!" CaptianArchmage roared at the top of his lungs as he barreled into the mason's workshop.

15th Slate, Year 107, from the desk of High Zealot

CaptianArchmage gets to work after picking out two stones of exceedingly common value.

There are also strange sounds coming from the walls and ceiling of my makeshift office/mason's workshop/wood furnace/smelter/forge. They are very faint, but Raikaria, who was training nearby, tells me they might be the new migrants that Syanas had spoken of. I tell her that if she's going to say something crazy, she should go claim a workshop and make us an artifact, but she goes off to gather the military and orders everyone to the burrow, AKA my office/mason's workshop/wood furnace/smelter/forge. Alkhemia has been ordered to start removing the wall between us and the undead horde.

16th Slate, Year 107, from the (very crowded) desk of High Zealot

Aren't there laws against having more than 6 Suikas in a 12 tile area? A Suika needs his space, you know.

Alkhemia runs back towards my desk, screaming. The wall is down, and Raikaria guards the entrance with her two recruits behind the cage traps. We can only pray to the original Suika Ibuki for divine protection now.

That same day, Year 107

"We're ready." I stood up and stretched my arms above my horns.

The rain had paused, and showed no immediate signs of returning. If we were to make our move, now was the chance. There were still undead roaming the hill, and after observing them attacking the local wildlife, I realized that this place was more cursed than I thought. The dead would mysteriously start moving again, not quite under its own power, with a bloodlust for the living. It seemed that no matter how many times they would go down, they would come back.

"...Hey, do you hear that?" Pirate turned his ear towards the hill. "It sounds like...screaming."
"Who wouldn't scream in this cursed land?" Patchy muttered.

We all stared at Patchy, her blisters mostly healed.

"Someone's alive over there!" Nyotor yelled.
"That settles it. We make our move now."

I lift my hand to signal the charge when Nyotor starts barreling down into the wastelands with several other suikas in tow. The rest of the suikas exchange nervous looks.

"...Go, go already!" I sighed, breaking out into a sprint after Nyotor.

---

Note that this didn't actually happen exactly the way I planned, although the end result ended up better than I expected.

Here's how I explained it to Neko afterwards.

[21:45] <Syanas> Lol.
[21:45] <Syanas> Okay that works too.
[21:45] <Syanas> Though it happened so fast I didn't even get to take a screenshot.
[21:46] <NekoRex> eh?
[21:46] <NekoRex> syanas what happened
[21:46] <Syanas> I was working to bring the migrants in.
[21:47] <Syanas> So I put most of the migrants into squads and stationed them in the safe zone near the hill.
[21:47] <Syanas> What I forgot to do was turn off their uniforming.
[21:47] <NekoRex> oh
[21:47] <Syanas> So when I readied my defenses and tore down the wall, ALL of the migrant squads charged into the fortress and destroyed all the undead
[21:47] <Syanas> just to grab some gear.
[21:47] <Syanas> Awesome.
[21:47] <NekoRex> hahaha
It's all the same thing, really.

---

20th Slate, Year 107

Everyone is safe inside with barely a bruise or scar. Just as we finish doing our head count, a suika slowly stands up and lifts what appears to be a masterfully crafted cabinet over his horns.

He runs down the stairs with the cabinet still in his arms, a smile spread wide across his face. Going by what was on that cabinet, I don't think I want to know what that smile was for.

21st Slate, Year 107

The wall is rebuilt, sealing us inside this.....hole. There is simply no other word for it. I glance over to the leader of this band of suikas to ask about how this place came to be.

A suika taps me on the shoulder, and as I turn around, I realize he is one of the 6 suikas who went with my predecessor in search of the Forest of Happiness.

"Welcome to the fort, miss...?" High Zealot inquires.
"Syanas Izul. May I ask where my predecessor is?" I glanced over to a desk full of suikas, puzzled.
"If you mean Syanas the Hammersuika, well..." High Zealot motions to follow him.

"It should be her turn to lead the fort right now, but she didn't last until the spring. Poor thing." High Zealot sighed, shuffling his feet. He rested his hand on my shoulder.

"If you're her successor, the fort's in your hands now. Good luck."

23rd Slate, Year 107

I decide to take up the silver hammer and post left to me by Syanas the Hammersuika and reform the military with Raikaria as my second in command. Of the 38 suikas now inside this fort, 2 are children and only 9 are experienced in battle.

Unfortunately, there is only enough equipment for 5 suikas. Raikaria is given a steel hammer, Mokou-Power and Chaore get steel crossbows, and Anthy gets a steel axe. The rest are using copper spears and wooden sticks. Zefon doesn't even have any clothes except for a pair of rusty copper boots.

17th Felsite, Year 107

There are whispers at the wall. I cannot tell what they are, but some speak of a caravan coming this way. I alert the military and lead the other suikas to the burrow, AKA High Zealot's desk.

18th Felsite, Year 107

The whispers at the wall say that the caravan is near. The wall is ordered torn down and I lead my squad to the trade depot to wait for the caravan.

19th Felsite, Year 107

The whispers at the wall were apparently a biokkuri ambush squad lying in wait for the caravan. If they appeared closer to us, I'm not sure we would have survived. Fortunately, the undead make for a great distraction.

The caravan arrives safely, and they are Parseekkuris, bringing much needed wood. I was beginning to resent the fact that I shared a bed with 5 other suikas. The drawbridge is raised as there isn't enough time to put up a wall.

21st Felsite, Year 107

I call for all our unneeded valuables to be brought to the trade depot and ask High Zealot to negotiate with them.

(Placeholder for a screenshot of a High Zealot too busy rendering fat to get to the trade depot)

"I'll do it, I'll do it!" Pirate squeals, waving his arms wildly.
"Alright, but if your name gives any hint to what you're going to do, just remember that we still need a 'volunteer' to go down into the caverns and get us some more wood."
"...I'll be good." Pirate moans, dragging his feet to the trade depot.

1st Hematite, Year 107

We have struck a deal with the Parseekkuris, and progress on the grand hall is going smoothly. It's about time we turned this hole in the ground into a stronghold.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:47:16 AM by Syanas »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
*Weilds massive steel hammer with pride*

Good sign that I didn't die during my tenure as Commander. Have I been in a fight anyway?

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2012, 09:42:45 PM »
You participated in a fight against an undead hare and some undead kobolds. You're actually surprisingly flimsy, you still have an injury from over 3 months ago that still hasn't healed yet.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2012, 12:04:53 AM »
Looks like the best drama blew over first. Oh well. Hopefully you do something exciting with the rest of your year, hmm?

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2012, 01:04:10 AM »
Anthy cancels felling tree: Beheading Giant Olm.

Also, new wave of migrants in very heavy slime rain. This may sting a little.

Totaku

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2012, 06:34:10 AM »
Time for some feedback from Bay12!

"Alright, but if your name gives any hint to what you're going to do, just remember that we still need a 'volunteer' to go down into the caverns and get us some more wood."

Damn, I've been found out.

Image of... what?  ???
I kind of stopped at "The Rapes and The Impersonation". Name me one situation where that's actually a good thing. For the victim, I mean.

Quote from: Syanas
Quote from: NekoNekoRex
Looks like the best drama blew over first. Oh well. Hopefully you do something exciting with the rest of your year, hmm?
Anthy cancels felling tree: Beheading Giant Olm.

Also, new wave of migrants in very heavy slime rain. This may sting a little.

Also looking good so far Syanas! Looking forward to seeing the progress as you keep going.
Now I Twitter

Power

• The power is within you. :D
Re: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! CrossedHorns: Spring 107
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2012, 06:30:13 PM »
Umm so how did I do with the steel crossbow?  Also how I'm I doing in generally?

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »
I forgot to give you any ammo so you're just bashing things with a steel crossbow. Not like arrows work against the undead anyway.

And being a military suika, you're doing fairly better in terms of happiness than the others. I can probably fix most of it by assigning some great bedrooms for the military.

Totaku

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2012, 05:09:17 PM »
Bumping to inform you that it's been almost a week now and that if Syanas doesn't give a summer report and request for an extension or completes the run by the end of 5:00 PM central time, I will declare the year null and void and it we will move on to notapirates turn.

(Also Syanas did say she might have everything done by today, she's just been rather busy up till now)
Now I Twitter

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2012, 11:05:37 PM »
   1st Hematite, Year 107

Raikaria has been permanently retired from military duty on an honorable discharge. She has complained as of late of an injury on her right hand that has been around since long before I arrived. She seemed bitter about being taken off duty, but relieved nonetheless. There is no one to fill her spot, so I have given her equipment to Stuffman.

21st Hematite, Year 107

Today the merchants take their leave. I am worried that they will not be able to get out of this place alive as the front entrance is no longer a viable option. However, HighZealot informs me that the suikan caravan that arrived last fall managed to leave via the caverns. Since the caverns are ultimately less immediately dangerous than the above route, I decide to lower the bridge and have a look around.

25th Hematite, Year 107

The caverns seem devoid of wildlife. However, beyond the southern shore, I can see shadows in the clear water. They are very large, and could very well be the monsters that ravaged NekoRex and his fellow suikas. However, they don't seem to be as aggressive as the undead horde, and the trees here could make an excellent addition to our fort.

26th Hematite, Year 107

The decision has been made. The caverns will be open only when the trees have grown plentiful. In addition, the southern shore will be sealed by walls until further notice.

I have ordered the military to keep watch on the cavern levels until the wall is completed.

29th Hematite, Year 107

There is a wall on the northern side of the caverns. The artificial smoothness of it suggests that it was made by suikan hands.

HighZealot tells me it is the very area where NekoRex, Maid Xan, Wymar, and so many other suikas lost their lives. He urges me to ignore it and continue my patrol.

10th Malachite, Year 107

Alkhemia decides to hold a party in our new grand hall. It is not yet finished, but the suikas have decided to celebrate nonetheless. I have decided to withdraw the military temporarily as the underwater creatures show no intent of coming onto dry land. Parties are important, after all.

18th Malachite, Year 107

There is news that some migrants have arrived. This news comes just as the giant olm from the southern shore makes it on land before the wall is completed. The military is mobilized quickly and as I make it to the bridge, I can hear heroic cheers from up ahead.

Through the combined efforts of Mokou-Power, Chaore, Scotty297, and Anthy, the giant olm was quickly overpowered and beheaded. Anthy wants to keep the head as a trophy, but I warn her that keeping zombie snake heads in his room may send mixed signals to her spouse Hideki. She agrees to have the body dumped with some statues in her future room.

This victory comes short lived. The migrants outside have arrived in the worst of weather, on the far side of deadliest part of the area. I fear there is no hope for them, but they are signaled to head to the safe zone our group previously used before. If they can make it there, then there may be a chance.

19th Malachite, Year 107

Today, I heard Stuffman's howl from the staircase. Among the screams, I could almost hear something about a sudden need to chisel some rocks. High Zealot seemed unfazed by the commotion, so I went back to training with the rest of the military.

26th Malachite, Year 107

Stuffman finished his project today, a gabbro scepter.

It's not much to look at, but the other suikas are calling it something for the ages. I still wonder if he actually finished it or gave up halfway.

4th Galena, Year 107

The migrants seem to have reached the safe zone. It is time to lower the gates and bring them in. As I reach for the lever, Pirate screams for me to stop.

"WAIT!" Pirate sprints towards me as my hand is on the lever.
"What is it, Pirate?" I begin to pull gently on the lever.
"Don't pull that lever!" Pirate sputters, gasping for air as he jogs the rest of the way to where I am.
"What are you talking about? The migrants have been outside for nearly 2 weeks. It's a miracle they even survived out there this long." The gears feel rusty, and I start gripping the lever with both hands.
"Don't you remember those ambush squads of biokkuris from when the caravan arrived?" Pirate tries to regain his composure, but his eyes are full of fear.
"Yes...what about them?" I press my feet against the base of the lever and pull with all my might.

"The parseekkuris left this picture in the caverns. The ambush squads, they never left. If you lower the bridge now, it'll be the end of us all!" Pirate runs away, screaming incomprehensibly.
"...I guess we'll have to resort to plan B." I scratch my head, and start thinking up a solution to this new fangled problem. I also call someone to oil up the lever, it's clearly jammed in place.

6th Galena, Year 107

Plans have been drawn to allow migrants entry through the safer part of the region, close to where they are. This new entry will later be expanded to become our new fort entrance, complete with defenses and enough room to house a proper caravan. However, it has already been at least 6 weeks since the migrants have arrived, and I cannot forsee them being let back in until the bridge is completed. For now, we must wait.

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2012, 11:30:19 PM »
   1nd Limestone, Year 107

The entryway is finally completed as the leaves and plants start to fade, and harvest becomes more plentiful. It is autumn.

The surface is breached, and the migrants are brought in without delay. However, one particular suika catches my eye, one with a peculiar look on his face. Specifically, the kind that lacks fear whatsoever. I tap him on the horn as he walks past me.

"Hey, what's your name?" I inquire with a bit of suspicion at the back of my mind.
"Purvis" he answers plaintively.
"So you've been up there for....2 and a half months? How was it up there?" I glance over to another suika trembling with blisters all over his body and tears in his eyes.
"Just the usual." His tone was unusually flat.
"Huh. Well, welcome to the fort. You guys must be tired, let me take you to your room..." I motion for HighZealot to throw me the keys to the dorms and lead Purvis to his bedroom.

"Hey, there's just a bed in here." Purvis begins to protest, but I slam the door behind him and lock it, barring any access to the room. I pick up my hammer and nail a sign on the door.

It's nothing personal. Just stay away from our legendary workers.

12th Limestone, Year 107

Reports come up from the caverns that the southern wall is finally completed. Initial surveys indicate that there are no more underground creatures to speak of. The caverns are secured.

24th Limestone, Year 107

Moldath died of thirst today, our first fatality in the fort since I had taken over. The poor suika just couldn't recover from the horrors of the undead horde and the acid jelly rain. His body is buried along with the other founders.

3rd Sandstone, Year 107

The entryway is scheduled to be expanded into a proper entrance as explained last month. This shall be my last construction project along with the completion of the grand hall.

There are 3 bridges used to block the entrance into the fort. 3 more are made to be cheap (yet highly effective) defensive systems against the undead horde. It seems that crushing them into oblivion keeps them from ever coming back. Or existing, for that matter.

12th Sandstone, Year 107

The grand hall is mostly finished. There are still a few finishing touches to be made, but structurally, it is completed according to Syanas the Hammersuika's design.

27th Sandstone, Year 107

News arrives that yet another wave of migrants has arrived. The new entrance is far from finished, and the undead are everywhere. It is difficult to say, but I give the order that the new migrants are to fend for themselves until the new entrance is completed.

Hearing this, Mokou-Power comes up to me and demands that I lower the bridge.

"Are you going to let 12 suikas die in this wasteland!?"
"Are you going to be responsible for the undead horde killing over 50 suikas inside this fort?" I reply calmly.
"What have we been training for!? What are all our weapons and armor worth if we cannot even save our fellow suikas!" Mokou-Power yells furiously.
"You saw what happened when we brought the last migrants in. The horde was almost on top of us before we were able to raise the bridge. We won't be so lucky next time." I lower my voice to a whimper.
"But my brother-" Mokou-Power tries to argue, but realizes the situation. 7 suikas against 50 or so undead aren't good odds in any situation.
"My brother..." Mokou-Power smashes his fist into the wall.
"I'm sorry." I turn to leave. I can hear drops of water fall to the floor behind me. I dare not look back to see where it was coming from.

18th Timber, Year 107

The suikan caravan arrives with 2 able guards. The air lock is far from finished, and it seems as though we would have to miss this opportunity. However, I am hopeful that the guards may be able to bring them in along with the rest of the migrants.

20th Timber, Year 107

Maybe not.

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2012, 11:45:29 PM »
   1st Moonstone, Year 107

Winter arrives as I turn my attention back towards the caverns. I had thought they were secured, but reports show that another giant olm has appeared on the northern shores, occasionally going on land before slithering back into the water. The bridge is temporarily raised as I draw plans to secure the caverns even further.

17th Moonstone, Year 107

It is time to pay my respects to Wymar, the only unrecovered suika of the original seven founders. There is already a slab in her memory, but Totaku wishes dearly for her body to be recovered for a proper burial. I start drawing plans to break down the wall.

The northern shore is also scheduled to be walled in. The only opening in the caverns will be the exit route for caravans should they be able to come in again. Hopefully, this secures the caverns for good, providing safe harvests of wood.

1st Opal, Year 107

The wall is ordered broken down as I lead the military into the caverns, lying in wait behind the cage traps. Sounds of wet footsteps and shuffling can be heard beyond the wall as Grimlocked begins to take the wall apart. After he takes down the top half of the wall, a bloodied and rotten arm suddenly jumps over Grimlocked's horns and flies into a cage trap. I order Grimlocked to head back up as the rest of the wall comes crashing down to reveal the deformed, mutilated figure of Wymar.

Chaore takes a wild swing with his crossbow, mostly missing and scratching Wymar's foot. Anthy charges in with her steel axe and throws a heavy swing into Wymar's left arm, where it becomes lodged. Chaore takes a step back and swings again, missing everything but Wymar's toes. Anthy pulls on the axe, swinging Wymar around as I swing my hammer into her arm, a wet cracking sound echoing through the cavern. As Wymar loses her balance, Chaore takes one more swing and manages to pummel her in the stomach. I swing my hammer once more into Wymar's abdomen, where she finally collapses onto the floor.

"Take her away."
Totaku comes to pick up her corpse when he notices that Wymar is missing an arm.
"Uh, where's her arm?"
"I didn't see one on her when we started the fight." I look at the corpse, puzzled. The cage rattles noisily behind us.
"...Is that it?" Anthy ponders.
"Probably is. Take it back up with the body. The teeth too." Totaku points at Wymar's face, revealing holes where teeth should be.
"We didn't knock any teeth out, so..." Stuffman turns his gaze towards the stairs.

I begin to walk towards the stairs as CaptianArchMage rushes past me, steel pick in hand.

"Hey, what are you doing!" I call out to her.
"There's stuff to mine in there!" CaptianArchMage yells back with her baby on her back.
"It's not safe in there!" I begin to yell, but CaptianArchMage disappears up the stairs where a small scream and a wet thud echoes towards me.

I lead the military in to clean up the mess, but as I turn the corner, I see CaptianArchMage still running through the hall, and a beheaded suikan zombie on the floor.

"Did she just...?" Stuffman begins to ask before I run off in pursuit to bring her back.
"She just took down a zombie in one hit when it took 5 of us a few minutes to take down Wymar." Scotty297 said slowly.
"...Is it just me, or is this a little embarrasing?" Anthy says weakly, pawing at her horns.
"Who was this guy anyway?" Stuffman says abruptly.

Mokou-Power reaches into the zombie's pockets and pulls out a cloth. It reads 'NotAPirate'.

13th Opal, Year 107

Arashi dropped his tools at the craftsuika's workshop today only to pick them back up and declare that the workshop was now his, then ran off in search of some rocks, gems, silk cloth, and logs. Maybe we'll have something not made completely of stone this time.

3rd Obsidian, Year 107

The caverns are cleared of corpses, the copper picks retrieved along with most of the corpses, and resealed. The northern wall is also completed, completely barring the caverns from any underwater creatures. However, as there is still an opening in the caverns, the order remains in effect to keep the bridge drawn until the trees have grown back.

It is apparent that Wymar cannot be buried in an orthodox fashion. Thus, it is decided that she will lay the foundation for our new defensive system against the invading undead hordes. Our newly finished entrance, complete with traps and a trade depot, will be christianed with Wymar's blood. Her body is ordered to be dragged under the bridge along with her caged arm.

I pull the lever twice and listen to the crash of the bridge onto the floor, along with a vague sound of snapping metal and a wet thud.

The deed is done.

7th Obsidian, Year 107

I stopped by Arashi's workshop today to check up on his progress when it becomes apparent he has made none at all. Instead, he flies at me, knocking me over, and starts growling in my face.

"I NEED GEMS!" Arashi says in a gutteral voice, bits of foam and spit dripping from the sides of his mouth onto my face.
"Don't we have tons of gems in the stockpiles?" I turn towards Patchy, who shrugs at me and walks away.
"THOSE GEMS! THEY'RE SUBPAR. YOU MEAN FOR A PROJECT AS GREAT AS THIS TO HAVE LOW QUALITY GEMS!?" Arashi face closes in on mine. He clearly hasn't had a bath in several weeks. Or brushed his teeth, for that matter.
"...I'll go get you some cut gems then." I crane my neck towards the dining hall and nod towards Patchouli. She closes her book and walks towards the jeweler's workshop. Arashi releases his grip on me and goes back to his workshop, sulking.

12th Obsidian, Year 107

Arashi finished his construction today, a gabbro bracelet.

There aren't any humans around here, but if there were, I'd love to show our new bracelet to them.

16th Obsidian, Year 107

Through the walls, I hear the familiar roar of a biokkuri ambush squad. No doubt they would add to the collection of the undead horde, so I paid it no mind.

25th Obsidian, Year 107

I heard a similar roar today, only this one was much closer, near the old entrance. I suspected they were right on top of us, but as the entrance was sealed, there was no way in. The roars turned to shrieks, then silence. Then, there were sounds of wet footsteps milling about the ceiling and walls. The poor fools.

1st Granite, Year 107

Noticing the untidy conditions of the workshops, I checked the basement to see that it was completely full. Orders were made to create another floor below this one for extra storage space, but alas, I can hear the lyrical voice of Lily White.

The signaling of spring also marks the end of my reign. I will remain on duty as the militia commander, but it is time for me to relinquish the title of overseer to the next poor bastard in this fort.

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2012, 12:55:04 AM »
And that's it for my run. Sorry I took all week (and a few hours extra) to finish, jury duty is giving me a really hard time in terms of sleep and concentration. I still have a week more to go before I'm done with it, but that doesn't matter anymore.

So what are the good points about my run?

• Caverns are secured, you can mine out the area as long as you don't break down the walls and you can have a larger area to grow trees. Just make sure nothing pops in from the edge of the map while the bridge is down.
  • Everyone has beds. I think.
  • Food is still plentiful with plenty of grazing animals waiting to be slaughtered. Someone should probably check the expiration date on them, they've been around a while.
  • We now have a better defended entrance with room for the military to step in if needed.
  • Almost everything's been moved farther down and reorganized, except for the butcher, tanner, barracks, and farms.
  • A healthy population of 50 something Suikas, not counting children or babies. Which there are a lot of.
  • Related to babies, the majority of the fort is happy because they have kids now.
  • We have a vampire! I'm never really creative with them other than keeping them in case of emergencies, but I'm sure one of you guys can figure something out.

The downsides?

• Wood is still extremely scarce, and as a result we're low on wooden bins and wheelbarrows.
  • Brewing seems to have been neglected despite the standing order to keep making booze. The supply is low but there should be more than enough rock pots and plants to make a bunch.
  • We're still very poorly geared, I never found any other metals while digging out the hall, and as a result, I wasn't able to reform the military since I wouldn't have gear for them anyway.
  • It would be a good idea to move the lever room down to the grand hall, so you'll probably just have to redo all the levers and notes if you want some quick lever pulls.
  • The air lock isn't actually finished yet. You'll have to turn the stairs into a ramp and widen it so a caravan can fit through. Either way, you'll need to lower the bridge and do some mining. Most of the automatic jobs have been turned off so you won't have suikas running outside like idiots. Probably.

The worst part about this run? Some of you may be wondering what happened to that last migrant wave and caravan. They pretty much popped up right near the undead horde of biokkuris, so there was no point trying to save them. The result is about 40+ mostly whole undead corpses roaming the surface across the entire map. Add in the two biokkuri ambushes near the end of winter, and you're going to have a ton of corpses to deal with if you want anymore migrants and caravans. If you can figure out how to take advantage of biokkuri pathing and atom smashers, maybe you'll have a shot at clearing the surface.

Casualties
  • Moldath
  • The entire wave of fall migrants
  • The suikan caravan

Kills
  • A giant olm
  • A bunch of yukkousei zombies
  • A zombie hare
  • A zombie hare hair
  • Wymar's mutilated corpse
  • NotAPirate's mutilated corpse
  • NotAPirate's head x3

http://www.4shared.com/get/5TI70nBe/Crossedhorns.html

Good luck Pirate, you're going to need it!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:02:08 AM by Syanas »

Omba

• ねえ...
  • 君の首...おいしそう
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2012, 03:35:39 AM »
Considering the situation you started out with, that's some really neat development.
Good thing you spotted the vampire right away. I guess he would make a good bookkeeper.
I'm... not too sure about using the atom smasher to solve the zombie problem.

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2012, 04:22:07 AM »
In the newer updates, vampires are apparently harder to find. You can't just look at their relationships and history and say, "Oh this is a vampire". The easiest way is to cheat and use Dwarf Therapist, but I also watched the vampire walk to the burrow while passing a couple of undead without running around like a ninny. That's the next best sign if you can catch it.

Also, atom smashers are pretty much the only way to permanently kill off zombies, and otherwise I also put a bunch of stone fall/cage traps behind the trade depot for anything else that slips past. It's either that or kill each one individually and drag them to the safe area, which is a pain and is most likely going to get everyone killed. Even magma doesn't do the job that well. I think I remember Helepolis trying to melt a zombie for 5 months and it didn't go away.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2012, 11:18:33 AM »
Specifically, zombies don't die in magma but 'dead' zombies will burn up and be destroyed, the inanimate body parts.