Author Topic: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! R.I.P CrossedHorns: (BAD END)  (Read 38675 times)

KennyMan666

• Precursor
  • The Saga
    • One Piece: Pure Corruption
Re: Suika Fortress Yearly Challenge : Cross Forum Edition! Voting Time!
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »
I'm not actually interested in the game, but the best fort name is Sakedrop. Apparently it can't be done, but it's the best name anyway!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 07:18:13 PM by KennyMan666 »
Fly & High!!

Totaku

• The Traveling Otaku of Gensokyo
  • I want to be a little NEET moon princess
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 09:14:53 PM »
Time to post some of the Bay12er's replies to the voting:

Did I just get challenged?

I just got challenged.

Guess I'll check the OP once I'm done with... stuff.

Area one, waterfalls and rivers (hoping it is in a valley) are allways interesting. Not so good with aquifers that wont freeze though, especialy the ones right under the first soil layer are hard to work with.

Also nominating area 6's stream for most amusing name :P

Edit: I just noticed you keep spelling my name wrong...

Did I just get challenged?

I just got challenged.

Guess I'll check the OP once I'm done with... stuff.

I got a PM, so I'm posting here. Unfortunately, I don't have much time, so I can't play, but I will at least read it. Sorry.
* I sure hope he understands that he can have a Suika named after him regardless...

Well my time has been limited lately, so probably just spectate here. I vote for lunatic cause any self respecting touhou player or df player would play nothing less, but looks like that has been already decided. So I vote for the tundra start(Area 4), should be quite suicidal, and who can forget Nist Akath.

where's the game going to be showed at?

Right here in this forum and MotK's forum. It's how I've always done my community games of Suika Fortress back when it was only an MotK related community game. It's just this year I decided to expand outside of it and get bay12 involved and now will be volley balling messages back and forth between both forums.

More or less when the game starts I'll give the intro, and cover the angles of the introduction and then pass the file on to the player who's turn is first (since it's randomized, it's anyone's game. who will go first)

From there the player will be required to post the events as they play out ( and I encourage creativity) by the season at the very least. Till the next spring, Pass the save to the next player, (using Mediafire or DFFD) rinse and repeat.

Anyways been keeping track of the votes so far I won't go into numbers here,

But Area 1 and 5 are tied
CrossedHorns is the top one for Fortress name
The Gleeful Urns is the top on for group name

Also I went and contacted a few more folks from here and MotK to see if I can drag some more in.... Still going to try to wrap the voting up (hopfully) tomorrow...
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind.
Tsunami Channel Home of  Japanese webcomics Artist Akira Hasegawa.
My Deviant Art site gallery
Now I Twitter

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Area 5 seems to have the best chance of elephants, and who doesn't love those? My best bets go there.

Gleeful Urns for group name. I'll leave deciding the Fort Name to others.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »
I like the fort/group name choice, as for embark, I'd go for 1, 5, or 6. Aquifiers simply aren't my thing, but it wouldn't hurt to try the many methods for breaking through them. Just hope they're not multi layered.

Also, I call for a bonus objective - building a palace of earth spirits in HFS, then flooding the entire fort via a massive geyser.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:00:03 AM by Syanas »

Power

• The power is within you. :D
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 07:17:56 AM »
Area 5 seems like the best choice so I vote for that.  Also I vote for the fort to be named "CrossedHorns" and for the group name to be "The Gleeful Urns"

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 07:53:11 AM »
I'm behind Area 5, from my standpoint as a observer.

Also, I finally have a guide to use when I think 'What is this Proto Yuukuri Yuuka that I just brought from the Elves?'

It was a Boatmurder + Elephant that I used to guard my base.

A lone Kobloid Thief cut off one of it's legs ._.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Totaku

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »
Welp, I given this enough time so I want to march on....

Let me tell you a little bit about the world your are on...

http://pastebin.com/c7wVW2kx

The year is now 105, the reason I chose this date was because it matched at a nice timeline that seemed vital. It's around the start of the age of legends and also there are still plenty of Touhous in the world. Not all of them survived, but a good number of them did.

Why did I not go any longer than this? To make sure we had plenty of Touhous to fight later on. I'm pretty sure they'll present us with some form of challenge.... maybe? I generated this same world to 115 and almost all the Touhou characters were killed off not exactly good if you ask me.

So yeah 105 it'll be for this world....

Now let's look over the votes..

Area 5 has won by a land slide so this is where we shall embark!

Crossed Horns got the most votes there fore it'll be the Fortress name!

The Gleeful Urns got the most votes, so this will be our group's name!

All is set! Which means we now shall move on to the next stage

Skills and Supplies!

Before we dare embark upon the dangerous land the lies before us. The Suika must prepare for the trip!

Who will be the one's to go first?

I've took the first 9 participants who decide to play and randomize their order....

The original 7 will be....

1. NekonekoRex
2. Syanas
3. Notapirate
4. Grimlocke
5. Wymar
6. Highzealot
7. Maid Xan~

These will be the original seven to embark to the new land! The others will come afterward...

8. Totaku (mason/engraver)
9. Captainarchmage (Weaponsmith)

This will also be the the turn order in which everyone will take thier turn. This means NekonekoRex will go first!

Before we head off though it's time for our Suika to determine what they should bring....

Here's the Suikas and supplies:

I will name the Suikas after we get done with determining everything.

We have 290 points to use for our Suikas so let's decide wisely what needs to be done with them! I'll give you all one day to see if any decisions are reached... We can take or place in what we need. Feel free to give your opinion on what we will do...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:45:56 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

highzealot

• The Highly Zealous Let's Playing Wolf Lord
  • Suika and Russ: Ultimate Drinking Buddies
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »
Quote from: highzealot
I say we do not take dimple cups. I just find them completely useless. Cave wheat, well I dislike it but it's more useful than dimple cups imo. Now we can save points by not taking metal axes and take training axes instead. We could also take wood along so we can make the axes ourselves. I also prefer more drinks. Personally I don't take quivers and I do take some leather along.

Now for my skills. 1-2 in appraiser and judge of intent. 1 in record keeper and organizer and cook. Extra points can go to cook and any other social skills relating to broker, bookkeeper or manager. Yes, I want all three of those positions. It's the kind of person I am and it works not to mention you only need one office compared to two.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 06:15:30 PM »
f-f-first? Oh geez, that's going to be lovely
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2012, 09:13:58 PM »
I'll claim a Suika in my image.

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2012, 09:19:16 PM »
I guess I'll be a military suika, just to see if I can live before my turn comes up. Axe Suika if you're being stingy with points and don't want to give me a sword. I would like to have a set of armor too, if it's not too much to ask.

For items, I would suggest bringing a bunch of extra ores just in case we happen to lose our axes and picks early on. Iron or tin should be fine, steel if you can manage. We're eventually going to have to extend our fort to the flux/aquifier area to get some more. Probably sooner than later.

I usually chuck the ropes, splints, crutches and thread/clothes since I never build my hospital early on, but as this is going to be painful from the get go, I guess it wouldn't hurt to keep them.

It would probably be okay if we chucked the quivers for now, we won't be going hunting if there's a land curse, and even if there isn't, new migrant waves usually bring their own anyway.

We can probably do without the wheelbarrow for now as from what I could tell, it sort of messes up hauling priorities because when there is a wheelbarrow available for a certain stockpile, no one's going to actually drag stuff there unless they have a wheelbarrow, which ultimately ends up leaving a lot of people idle when they should be clearing stuff out. And besides, we can always make wheelbarrows later.

Booze and food supplies usually run low/out just before the first caravan arrives, but in this case, I would suggest bringing a little extra booze if we can't get the farms up and running fast. We can always slaughter the animals that come with the caravan for food if needed.

I would suggest a mating pair of Chenkuris as the pests in evil areas sound a little bit more annoying than normal ones. Just make sure the refuse area is protected or walled off and a cage built immediately for any resulting Kochenkuris. A pair of mating Sakuyas/Marisas if you want cheap defense, but you'll have to let them multiply a bit before sending them out.

...That sounded like a lecture. Well, that's what I recommend. Good luck Neko!

Totaku

I'm surprised NekoRex and Syanas didn't post the discussion from last night here.

This is some very important planning that I feel needs to be talked about since things will be getting rather complicated....

I'll post what was discussed last night...

Quote from: Nyotor Lizardhammers
Anyone else have any preparation suggestions? I'd like to not be slaughtered here. This is what I've been able to come up with supply-wise
EDIT: Super Saver Special

This post broght to you by SteelCorp
"Because Copper sucks"

Quote from: Grimlocke
You can make that stuff fairly quick and cheap by bringing some thread.

Also think you may want to consider bronze, which is still decent and may be cheap enough to let us armor a few suikas.
You can make that stuff fairly quick and cheap by bringing some thread.

Also think you may want to consider bronze, which is still decent and may be cheap enough to let us armor a few suikas.
[01:36] <Syanas> Grimlocke is suggesting bronze.
[01:36] <Syanas> Which costs less than iron and is only slightly inferior.
[01:36] <NekoRex> NO
[01:36] <NekoRex> WE MUST DO STEEL
[01:36] <Syanas> Haha
[01:36] <NekoRex> We have invested too many points into having a pointless amount of points
[01:37] <NekoRex> to settle for mere BRONZE
*scratch head*

Oh well cant argue with that :P
Quote from: Syanas
Ladies and gentlemen, our spearheader 8)

While the idea is fine and dandy I might as well propose this as well....

What I did following this was went and asked some of the other people about what they wanted to be and looked at the ones who already offered.

Here's what I was told...

NekoRex - All out combatant with Axes (Skilled Axesuika, adequate armor user dodger, and teacher)
Syanas - All out combatant with hammers (Skilled HammerSuika, adequate armor user dodger, and teacher)
highzealot - Wants to be cook and chief manager (AKA bookeeper, manager, and broker) (Skilled cook, adequate record keeping, organizer, appraiser)
Wymar - Miner and engraver possibly mason too  (Proficient Miner, Competent mason, Adequate engraver)
Maid Xan - Miner and crafts suika (Proficient Miner, adequate Stonecrafter and mechanic)
Notapirate - Didn't care (Competent Brewer and grower, adequate butcher and tanner)
Grimlocke - Unknown  (Adequate Carpenter, weaponsmith, armorsmith, furnace operator and wood burner)

With this + the skills I had selected... based on what Syanas and Nyotor put together minus the rocks and ores

(Also note there's one training axe in there too)

121 point remain

Also note I haven't selected any animals yet either.... Also note that I usually like to ultilize all 10 points for each Suika.

But this should give you a good idea what we have left in points and where we should consider going from here....

My suggestions....

as I said before...this is a terrifying zone, everything will be out to kill you and it could happen seconds after embark which is why I think, we should really bring equipment now not worry about it later.

I mean just what if a giant zombie dingo makes a b-line directly to your wagon before you manage to mass dump everything inside! What are you going to do if that happens? How you you be able to defend yourself then? That's an important question to really think about there.

How will you handle to first few weeks upon embark and if the worse case senario happens....

Better safe than sorry if you ask me....

This is why I made this suggestion...

dumped the rocks and ores, and brought an axe, a hammer, some breast plates, and caps. A little rearrange might be in order to ensure the carpenter doesn't run off with our copper axe, but at least we will be better prepared in this case. I've also took the chenkkuri and Yusakuya idea into consideration. Since they'll be useful....

We can worry about what we'll need to do once we are inside and have sealed ourselves from the outside since that's your goal for this run.

Just be ready for anything....

Tell me what you guys think...
Now I Twitter

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
FFFFFFFFFFFFFF That's goes against all my plans for glorious steel armor! Copper will never last! You might as well send the dwarves out naked! Dump the armor, bring back the ores!

I am heavily confident that I will be able to get in at least MOST of the supplies I need before I'm harassed by any undead

Just don't spawn any zombies right next to the caravan before I can so much as start the game, hmm?

Totaku

I am heavily confident that I will be able to get in at least MOST of the supplies I need before I'm harassed by any undead

Just don't spawn any zombies right next to the caravan before I can so much as start the game, hmm?
Well I'll see how that goes, I think we'll have breathing room (hopefully before the madness descends upon up....)

And I guess I'll throw in your suggestions in the revised fromat....

Take the suggestion I have about the Suikas and their skills and apply Syanas and Nekobox's theory...

Syanas's with slight tweaking

Nekobox's with slight tweaking

What I mean by slight tweaking was I had to rearange the supplies to make sure they worked accordingly to meet the expexctations since in this form the Suika will have all 10 skill points used. So some things needed to be chanced half the log supply was dropped, droped rock nuts (never really liked them), dropped sweetpods (never was dependent on them), a few yarns...

and in nekobox's case a chenkkuri was dropped to make room for the extra magnetite.

So yeah these ones are based on if we keep the Suika's skills as is (since the crew mostly decided now)

So I guess if anything we should decide which way we should go before we embark since if we are going to decide on this kinda of path we'll need to set up to be done soon.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:45:31 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

highzealot

NOT THE ROCK NUTS! Quarry bushes are one of the best things to cook and they have never failed me. Cave wheat on the other hand, never liked them.

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
Alright, further stacking on Totaku's tweaks, I've decided we will probably need at least a decent weapon upon embark, so here's the new list.

• 2 Copper Picks
  • 1 Iron Anvil
  • 60 units of booze
  • All seeds save cave wheat and dimple cups
  • 45 units of food
  • 15 threads of silk
  • 5 units of granite
  • 47 logs
  • 1 silver war hammer
  • 5 units of magnetite
  • A mating pair of chennkuris

The skills are already included, and 0 points remain. Totaku and I agree on this setup, how about everyone else?

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
Sounds perfect.

I'll make sure to try and make you lead the zombies away from the wagon while we carry the sweet loot inside

Totaku

Alright, further stacking on Totaku's tweaks, I've decided we will probably need at least a decent weapon upon embark, so here's the new list.

• 2 Copper Picks
  • 1 Iron Anvil
  • 60 units of booze
  • All seeds save cave wheat and dimple cups
  • 45 units of food
  • 15 threads of silk
  • 5 units of granite
  • 47 logs
  • 1 silver war hammer
  • 5 units of magnetite
  • A mating pair of chennkuris

The skills are already included, and 0 points remain. Totaku and I agree on this setup, how about everyone else?

While I fully agree this is a much better solution that what was on the plate before hand. One thing still crawls in the back of my mind about this....

What should Nekorex do in regards of his skills? I mean he has no axe to use. Therefore he cannot really defend. Do we still go in this direction regardless? Or does Nekorex want to consider changing things up a bit regarding skills.

I want to make sure of things before I begin putting everyone together for our embarkment. I'm slating to proceed with embarkment as of morning. So let me know now before I proceed.

(I would be on IRC right now, but for some reason it's not letting me on.... : <
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:23:36 AM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
I did some arena testing with some theoretical (un)wildlife that would appear in a temperate broadleaf forest such as ours. Alone, I can make short work of most regular zombie foes one on one, but against mobs, I don't stand a chance, and even if I were to squeeze Neko with a copper axe in, we'd still get slaughtered pretty fast. In short - it doesn't matter if we bring another weapon or not. If we get unlucky and get bumrushed before we can get into the ground, we don't stand a chance. Same idea if there's a land curse and one of the Suikas dies. They're incredibly aggressive once they become zombiefied.

Totaku

I did some arena testing with some theoretical (un)wildlife that would appear in a temperate broadleaf forest such as ours. Alone, I can make short work of most regular zombie foes one on one, but against mobs, I don't stand a chance, and even if I were to squeeze Neko with a copper axe in, we'd still get slaughtered pretty fast. In short - it doesn't matter if we bring another weapon or not. If we get unlucky and get bumrushed before we can get into the ground, we don't stand a chance. Same idea if there's a land curse and one of the Suikas dies. They're incredibly aggressive once they become zombiefied.

Yup, that sounds about right, but at least your thinking in the right direction. So in the I shall prepare everything for embarkment unless there are conflicts that rise (which I doubt) So be prepared to enter the next STRIKE THE EARTH first thing in the morning once I wake up Neko Rex.
Now I Twitter

Totaku

Re: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! Go forth CrossedHorns!
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2012, 05:33:07 PM »
"So, have you made the preperations Suika?"

"YES! I feel ready! Bring it oooooooooooon!" Suika says with excitement.

Yukari then opens up a gap and a large table comes out from within, and then using her border manipulation, she made the table's surface appear in the form of what appeared to be land.

The land itself looks strange at most of it was filled with dead trees and dead vegitation... and on a small hill in the center... a wagon... with seven little Suikas a few yukkuri and a bunch of supplies on board.

And to the left down by the river in the southwest portion of the area... A bunch of strange bird like non have seen before, bird that resembled parrots, but were human... yet there was something wrong with them.... a sense of decay surrounded them... as they mauled about....

"What kind of place is this Yukari?"

"Oh, you didn't know that there are cursed lands in the world? Well they exist and on most occasions some of the most dangerous of creatures tend to live here... Creatures even most youkai would never dare mess with."

"You think that's gonna stop me, think again!" Suika said with confidence as she took a swig of her Sake from her gourd.

"Just remember, you can only command your followers to follow instructions with your voice sicne you cannot dirrectly intereact with the world, the rest is up them. And with that, let the challenge begin!"

And so with that.... Seven Suika embark into a new terrifying world where new found danger awaits...will they survive?  GO FORTH LITTLE SUIKAS AND STRIKE THE EARTH!

CHALLENGES!

Survival of the Fittist: Yukari wants to see if your fort can last for 20 years without any mishaps happening (except may be for the first year). Keep the fort going for 20 years and don't let your fort die off!
The Suika Kingdom: Establish a full fledged Kingdom complete with a king by the end of 20 years!
The Busy world of the Suika: Survive with at least 150 Suika by the end of the 20 year period!
Fight like a proper Suika!: Handle all battle  and training without using rapid training devices like danger rooms to train your Suikas.

Yes, through the game I will be throwing challenge to you guys to see if you can achive them, some will be simple, others will be hard, other will be diffuclt, but hopefully you can achive them, if we do well enough we might get a bonus out of it...
I was suppose to include a drawing for this, but I lost it so.... I can't do much with it for now.... oh well...

Anyways, NekoRex...Here's the file!
http://www.mediafire.com/?w45bn1dfqynk3qf

Godspeed to you!

PS. Also forgot to fix the dead glumpoms trees... they look like tables, but those are trees....

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:47:33 PM by Totaku »
Now I Twitter

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2012, 06:25:08 PM »
The wagon was on it's journey to a new land. Countless preparations had been made to ensure nothing could possibly go wrong. It was a beautiful day.

"You know Syanas? Wasn't this was a great idea! Building a small settlement in the Forest of Happiness, basking in the sun all day, hunting for Yuugicorns, selling their bones, we've got this easy." NekoRex says before chuckling to himself and taking a swig of booze.
"Haha, right! Just the seven of us too, until we attract some folk. We'll go down as legends!" Syanas agrees, doing the same. "And all this booze to drink too! Just think, we'll make Sunshine when we get there!"
"Yeah.... can't wait..." NekoRex concurs, beginning to doze off.

But suddenly, the wagon stops with a loud CRACK!!! The entire wagon buckles, sending everyone tumbling off.

"Eh?" NekoRex suddenly snaps back awake. "Why'd we stop? This doesn't look anywhere like the Forest of Happiness."
"I think... the wheel broke." Pirate calls from the front seat.
"And that's supposed to stop us? Just replace it!" NekoRex scoffs.
"But I-" Pirate begins to say.
 But Neko interrupts.  "No buts!"
"Neko" Highzealot says quietly, but he too is interrupted and ignored.
"Pirate. Do you see any Yuugicorns? This isn't the Forest of Happiness!" NekoRex says, raising his voice.
"Neko." Highzealot says a , tapping NekoRex on the shoulder.
"Look at this place! It's a wasteland! It's nowhere near the Forest of Happiness!" Neko begins yelling.
"Neko!" Highzealot pleads, but NekoRex ignores him still.
Neko screams at Pirate. "How am I supposed to enjoy this booze and this trip if I have to wait for you to change the wheel while we sit out here in this awful piece of s-"
"NEKO!" Highzealot shakes the suika by the shoulders.
"WHAT?!" NekoRex roars.
Highzealot lowers his voice to a whisper once again, and points. "They'll hear us."

The... things... didn't look very friendly at all. It didn't appear they would have time to fix the cart in a place this dangerous.
"Oh." The suika states plainly, sobering up. "I see."

"Wymar. Grab the pickaxe. Start digging..." NekoRex says flatly, without looking away from the creatures.
"Right away." Wymar replies, a hint of worry in his voice.

NekoRex says one last thing before he turns his attention away from them. "...We're staying the night."
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:27:33 PM by NekoNekoRex »

highzealot

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »
Meanwhile HighZealot writes in his journal

How many years have I been beardless now? How many years since I had my mind and soul sucked out of my body and put into an oni's? I've lost count now. Well actually I've never bothered to count since life wasn't too bad. Tons of booze, food and socks. Of course now we get sent on a journey. A journey I've all too familiar with. Hopefully we will survive in this horrid wasteland and hopefully, my past as a dwarf will help us. May Armok guide us through this.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »
Spring, The First Year

The suikas quickly began scrambling to mine a hole beside the cart. However, the Zombie Kea Men were making a beeline straight for the caravan.

"You IDIOT! They're headed straight for us!" Grimlocke, the Carpenter, yells at NekoRex. "Every undead within three miles could have heard you!"
"Now is NOT the time, Grimlocke!" NekoRex yells back.  observing the birdmen. It appeared that there was not many choices they had. "Syanas!" Neko called, "Get out the hammer!"
"Aye!" Syanas replied. She was the only one trained in combat with the thing, and the silver warhammer was their only weapon. It was a good call.
"Everyone else... RUN!" NekoRex ordered, making no effort to conceal he was about to run for his life.

As the zombie kea men attacked, everyone scrambled down the slopes onto the field, taking what little cover they could.

Syanas began fighting them off, bashing them with their hammer. However, even when they looked dead again, they would just get back up and attacking. Combat was futile.
"This is pointless!" Syanas yelled as she too decided to run.

In a strange stroke of luck, however, the birdmen seemed content to just raid the wagon instead of pursue the fresh flesh of the suikas.
Making off with the supply of meat, the zombies ran off, hopefully never to be seen again.

As soon as they were gone, NekoRex barked orders at the group. "Get EVERYTHING inside!" He said, pointing at the small hole the miners had managed to dig. "The longer we sit out here, the more likely those things are to come back!"

And so everything began to get hauled inside. It seemed that the group would have to accept they were stuck out here for the time being.

But the next thing that happened came as a surprise to everyone. Without warning, giant globs of blue slime began to pour down from the sky.

Before anyone could ask what this strange goop did, a huge glob smashed into MaidXan head on, knocking her over. Pirate went to help her up, but recoiled as Xan began screaming in agony. As she began frantically scraping the slime off, her entire body began to get covered in oozing, bleeding blisters.
This would soon be the same fate as most everyone who had to suffer in the rain that day. It was yet another curse that these seven suikas would have to live with.

Several days later, everything was moved inside, alebit not very gracefully. Everything was in a giant heap in front of a choke in the tunnel. By Neko's orders, this choke was boarded up by Grimlocke. As he did so, Neko decided to give a rundown of the situation.
"Listen up. We all know what's out there. Those... maggot ridden things that arenn't dead and don't stay dead, and the vile slime that covers you in blisters." Neko began, with a hint of contempt. "We're stuck here. And until we can arm ourselves to leave this hellhole, nobody is opening that barracade." Neko continues, pointing at the newly erected wall.

"If you want to leave, you can stay outside and be food for whatever is out there. Any questions?"
Nobody said anything, most of them were either angry or sad they were stuck here, but everyone seemed to agree the cramped hole they had locked themselves inside was better than nothing.
"Nobody? Good. We need to work together, so that's what we're doing. Let's go." Neko concluded, as everyone quickly got to work.

The miners started to expand on the cramped space, while several workshops were quickly built as a first measure. Everyone wanted to get prepared in case they had to fight, so the first thing that was built was furnaces. A carpentry was also built so that the group could have some beds. They may have been stuck here, they could at least stand to not be completely miserable, Grimlocke had reasoned.

The place had quickly expanded into two rooms, and then three. A farm was constructed in one of the rooms, more workshops would be built in the second one. The food they had was taken by the Kea Men Zombies, so the farm was needed to keep from starving, and a still was built so they wouldn't go thirsty.

And before long, a whole month had nearly passed since they had arrived.  Beds had been constructed and placed in the corner, seeds had been begin to get planted, and everything was going well.

Satisfied with their work, the miners had dug downwards to see what rocks they could procure. Dirt was useless for anything but more digging, these suikas needed rock to get anything built.

Before long several exploratory tunnels were dug. The miners had hoped to quickly find some ore, but all they could find were a few gems. Worthless to the miners. They made plans to dig deeper.

It was halfway into the second month that the hunger set in.

They had ran out of food.

"So... hungry..." Zealot complained. 'If only I had some plump helmets, I could make a stew...." The cook thought aloud, echoing the thoughts of everyone.
"We're going to starve in this tomb!" Syanas complained.
"Yeah, we wouldn't be hungry if SOMEONE hadn't let those things take all the meat." Grimlocke whined, glaring at Neko.
"Ergh." Neko grumbled, before retorting at the remark. "On the other hand, you could have been the meat..."

Wymar and Xan appeared from the stairs, their tummies rumbling too.
"We found... some stuff." Wymar says, laying down on the ground, exhausted and hungry.
"We found marble, but all the ore we could find is Sphalerite." Xan chimes in. "In other words, zinc. It's worthless."

Everyone groaned at the announcement.

---

Finally, the farms had begun to produce some plants, but even that wasn't enough.
"We're only prolonging the starving! We have to do something!" Wymar says, one day.

"Hold on..." Xan says, getting an idea. "We have livestock, why not just butcher it?"
Everyone looks at Xan, before scrambling to construct a butchers workshop.

Halfway through, Syanas stops everyone. "Wait wait wait wait wait. The dead get back up out there. Who's to say they won't get back up in here?"
Almost everyone looks as Syanas, stopping construction long enough to ponder the consequences.
SPLAT!
"What about who?" Pirate asks, an axe already jammed through the Kimekaido's face.

Everyone stares as Pirate.
"...What? Meat's on the menu, everyone!" Pirate says happily.
"Uh oh." Highzealot says.
"...Pry the meat off of it and get what's left in the trash room. It can't come back to life if it's half-eaten already." NekoRex suggests trying to calm everyone down. This is done. Quickly.
"Lock the doors, just in case." Neko says before having Grimlocke install a wooden bar on the door.

A few days later, however, everyone begins to hear scratching at the door. Try as they may to ignore it, something is on the other side. Trying to get out.

Another lovely thing to remember about this vile place.

Tine passes, more workshops are built, things progress smoothly.

Towards the end of Spring, the miners rush up to NekoRex, busy working a bit of string into some cloth to pass the time.
"Neko. We found something down there." Xan tells Neko.
"More ore?" Neko says groggily. "I hope it's something better then Zinc." He says before yawning.
"It's not ore! It's... It's a cave!" Wymar says hurriedly. "There's a whole cave system just beneath us!"

"Eh?"  Neko says, snapping back into reality. "A WHAT?"
"With trees and everything!" MaidXan says excitedly. "We don't have to go outside for wood!"
"Hold on, did you see anything down there? Caves are dangerous!" Neko suggests.
"Nothing we can't handle." Wymar replies confidently.
"Hmmm... Well then get a tunnel going to where we can get the trees. But make it small. And easy to block off." Neko tells them, after thinking about it, "Last thing we need is one of those creatures getting in here like there are outside. You've heard the stories."
"...Right." MaidXan says, gulping. Every Suika knows the rumors of the horrors of the deep. Nobody ever reported seeing one though. Nobody anyone had ever found alive, anyway.
A tunnel was started, and with a new hope came the end of Spring.

As summer loomed there was no telling what was going to happen next. Between the horrors above and the rumors of things that lurk below, survival was far from guaranteed. Unlikely, even.
How long would they last? Would help ever arrive? Could they ever escape? Nobody knows.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:11:19 PM by NekoNekoRex »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »
Well, things are looking really *fun* already.

The zombie Yuukuri creeps me out...

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2012, 05:19:21 AM »
Underground forests? AWESOME. :D

I wonder how the migrants are going to survive getting to the camp? (answer: they won't XP)

Totaku

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2012, 04:46:41 PM »
Time for some feedback from Bay12ers!

Quote from: Darvi
That's not a mine...
Well, if it doesn't kill us, it's a weapon just waiting to be used.
Quote from: Patchy
Well at least the slime rain doesn't appear to be lethal. And remember, you can cook and eat some seeds too, to extend food supplies as needed. You'll just have to micro manage it a bit, so you don't cook the last couple seeds of a type. Seed cooking might be a bit safer than butchering given that dead livestock is a bad thing here. Anyways looking good so far, everyone is still alive after the most dangerous part of the embark. Though I'm curious what the plans are for getting the migrants safely inside hehe.
Quote from: GoombaGeek
Quote from: Patchy
Well at least the slime rain doesn't appear to be lethal. And remember, you can cook and eat some seeds too, to extend food supplies as needed. You'll just have to micro manage it a bit, so you don't cook the last couple seeds of a type. Seed cooking might be a bit safer than butchering given that dead livestock is a bad thing here. Anyways looking good so far, everyone is still alive after the most dangerous part of the embark. Though I'm curious what the plans are for getting the migrants safely inside hehe.
Words of encouragement.

Or a nice big drawbridge.

My favorite part is the zombie kimekaidou that is now locked in a little room. We should get it into a special glass enclosure and declare it our fort mascot.

Best get a drawbridge up before the building destroyers come hehe.

Quote from: CaptainArchmage
There's a non-evil region on the embark too. There there should not be much of a problem with the periodic animating dead there.
IN responds to Captain Archmage....It's only a small piece of land.... and to top it off well... you'll see....hehehe

Just for your information, I'm in the middle of trying to reach Rex because apparently I got word he uncovered something that probably shouldn't of happened.... And I may need to send you all a fixed up version of the game /raw files. To fix this mistake.

This is the second time I had this happen and I feel ashamed, yet this is why I kept addressing to test the game for anything odd.

Oh well if NekoRex want to fix the mistake, I will end up giving him a one day extension for the trouble I caused.... otherwise. I'll let it roll as is and fix it once he's done....

Now I Twitter

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »
Summer, Year 1

And so, a tunnel was dug down to the cavern floor.

Thankfully, unlike the surface world, the caverns appeared to be much safer, and there were no... animated corpses to be seen.

Orders to retrieve wood from the underground forest here were quickly made. The forges needed charcoal to smelt the few precious Hematite ores we had found into steel bars, so that we had armor for some event that forced us to the surface again.

Of course, we weren't entirely suicidal, and any Suika knows how dangerous caverns could really be when left unattended, so a bridge was constructed for barring entry into the fortress.

The rest of the month was peaceful and busy... perhaps we really would be safe?

MEANWHILE ON THE SURFACE

"Now where the hell are we?" Arashi Kurobara complained. This, of course was a pointless question.
"We're lost. Same as last time you asked." Third Eye Guy retorted.
"Don't worry guys. I'm sure we'll find something eventually." Totaku reassured the group. He hoped to lead the group to some shelter somewhere. Hopefully it wouldn't get them all killed.
"How did we even end up here in the first place? Who thought this was a good idea?" Raikaria pondered aloud. "How did I get crazy enough to follow you lot?"

"I woulda brought a pick if I knew this was going to happen." Mokou-Power thought to herself. "And some seeds so we wouldn't starve."
"Starve?!?" Goombageek yelled, suddenly in a panic. "Oh god, we're going to starve!"
"Calm down, calm down." Totaku said, trying to cut down the dissent. "We're going to be fine."

The group continued to wander, and eventually ended up in an unfamiliar looking land. A rather creepy one at that.

"Totaku, we're even MORE lost then before!" CaptainArchmage complained. "This isn't even close to home."
"I don't like the looks of this place." Raikaria agreed.
"What's this blue gunk everywhere?" Mokou-Power says, exammining the vile slime covering the area.
"Best not to think about it, cmon, we're almost there." Totaku says, although even he seemed in doubt.

After a few more hours of walking, one of the group spots something strange.
"What is THAT?" Third Eye Guy says, pointing.

A Mothman was flittering down a nearby hill.

"Aw, those guys are harml-" Mokou-Power says before stopping abrubtly.

The mothman's head was cracked open, it's brain hanging out. It's guts were also cut open.

"Nevermind." Mokou-Power says, clearly put off by the sight. "That's... not good."
"AAAAAAAAAAH IT'S GOING TO KILL ME! RUUUUUN!" Goombageek immediately panicked and ran.
The rest followed suit shortly afterwards.

The mothman chased the group, but everyone had run off in all sorts of directions, so it apparently picked one unlucky target and decided to fly after it, in it's undead horror.

"Go to hell you monster!" Arashi yelled as he ran. The mothman continued it's pursuit.

By sheer luck, however, Totaku has climbed up a small slope and found a strange hole in the ground. Shelter?
He called out to everyone. "Over here! I found something! Everyone!" He yelled before climbing down. Everyone scrambled into the hole

"Damn it Totaku, some place you led us to! We're going to die in this hellhole!" Archmage yelled.
Goombageek looked like he was going to faint from the panic.
"Hold on, we're not done for yet. What is this?" Raikaria says feeling the wall. "It's... wood?"
"There's a wood paneling, someone must live here!" Totaku said with glee. "We're saved!"
"Quick, open it up." Third Eye ordered with haste.

They quickly went to work and opened the thing up. Running past the pile of clutter just by the entrance, they scrambled down the ramp, almost knocking a surprised NekoRex over.

"What the hell? Who the hell are you people? Where in the blue blazes did you come from?" NekoRex demanded.
Totaku started quickly explaining in a panic "We were lost, and then we saw this... thing! Then we found this hole and ran down here, and we saw there was a wood wall, and we got rid of it, and then we ran down here an-"
"The SURFACE?" Neko said surprised. "The... WALL? YOU TOOK DOWN THE WALL?!?!?!" NekoRex said in even bigger surprise. "AAAAAH! The wall! They'll get inside! HURRY! Seal it back!" He yelled to Grimlocke, who hurried back to rebuild the wall.

Just before he was finished, yet ANOTHER suika ran inside.

Arashi managed to escape the pursuit long enough to run back inside.

The entrance was sealed again. The fortress was safe.

NekoRex explaine the situation to Totaku and his gang, and let them stay. It would be too cruel to put them back outside, and they needed more hands around the place anyway. Although most of them had no experience they got new jobs for managing the fortress.

Totaku (mason/engraver) Male
Captainarchmage (Weaponsmith) Female
GoombaGeek (Crafter) Male
Third Eye Guy (Soldier) Male
Raikaria (soldier) Female
Arashi Kurobara (Jeweler) Male
Mokou-Power (Farmer) Female

And with the miners freed up from their other workloads, some new rooms were carved out for the first time since the tiny place was established. The first thing dug out were a few stockpile rooms, to reduce the clutter and move some items from the entrance.

Then, a training room was built, so that the Syanas and his new squad, along with NekoRex, could finally have a place to train, freed from the workload of the fortress.

Squads were established for the occassion, as the army of Crossedhorns became official.

Finally, like the caverns, a bridge was built at the entrance, although the wooden wall remained until mechanisms could be secured.

Things were really going well for Crossedhorns. Maybe this stupid hole in the ground could become a new fortress for the onis? That certainly would be a hilarious thought. The suikas, in the most godawful of places, lording over all the lands admist undead corpses and other nasty horrors.

---
But one day, things took a turn for the worse.

It came in the night. It roared a roar that could only be faintly heard from the underground, but a terrible roar nonetheless.
A shiver ran down NekoRex's spine. Had some horror come to destroy them all?

It bellowed a thirst for fresh blood. It was coming for them.

With it's terrible fire breath, it burned down the wooden barrier. The bridge could not be raised in time.

Nothing could stop it. Their home was doomed. The end of the suikas. Opposed to all life, and with terrible power, it razed everything it saw. It was... terrible.

NekoRex suddenly awoke in a cold sweat. It was... a dream?

----

Down in the stone layers, mining continued, and the dining room was moved from the cramped meeting room to a slightly more respectable area.

Then, a small dormitory was also constructed, for the beds.

Towards the end of the last month of summer, the mating pair of Chenkurri had even given birth! Awww...

And finally, the greatest achievment of the season came to pass. The first set of steel armor was constructed.

NekoRex donned his new armor. As leader of the fort, he demanded the full set.

He felt invincible that day. They COULD survive! They would build the greatest fortress in the world one day, and rule over this pitiful, cursed land. Nothing could stop them now!

THIS

IS

CROSSEDHORNS!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:13:25 PM by NekoNekoRex »

Saber Nero

• 我が奏者よ!
Re: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! CrossedHorns: Summer 106
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
Interesting job bringing in those migrants. Can't wait to see how you deal with the caravan. We're not going to have a problem with disappearing trade depots like Battlefailed did are we?

Also, about that wooden pillar. Since a lot of Totaku's new animals seem to spew fireballs, I suggest you replace that pillar with something magma safe. I think some of that sphalerite ore should do the trick.

highzealot

Re: Suika Fortress: Cross Forum Edition! CrossedHorns: Summer 106
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2012, 12:22:05 AM »
Walls are immune to everything (except the player) even if they're wooden.