Author Topic: Players erratically disregarding commands, despite VSync  (Read 1993 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Players erratically disregarding commands, despite VSync
« on: June 08, 2012, 04:02:01 AM »
Windows Vista Business > some Dell laptop of indeterminate model (I am not currently at home) > Non-Intel graphics card with actual 3d acceleration this time

So, um. Every so often, Reimu/Marisa/Sanae/Sakuya/Youmu will just.... not listen to me when I prompt them to move left or right.
It gets odd when I'm also trying to move up or down, realize that I am not moving right, and then appear to shimmy the character up and down as if that would unstick her woefully unobstructed flight. (In retrospect, I probably should have saved a replay of me doing this.

Alternatively... I've had instances where they fail to stop moving in one direction. I don't recall if I saved a replay- (once again I probably should have) but I had one happen to where Sanae decided that nothing would make her happier than to hug the ceiling and make jabby upward motions at any moment that I was not forcing her to fly downward.

This was something that previously, I could kind of live with, it not happening very frequently at all. But I find that it does happen more and more often as time goes on for some reason, and it has escalated to actually costing me resources- such as failing to dodge Kogasa's boss appearance opener, or to dodge some of the streamed bits of MoF Stage 6.

Any ideas?

Drake

Re: Players erratically disregarding commands, despite VSync
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:38:29 AM »
Dell Laptop, randomly unregistered presses and randomly superregistered presses, to me it just sounds like the keyboard is garbage. Can you test to make sure it isn't actual ghosting and blocking?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:05:14 AM »
Hm, I wonder how one does that. I'll google it when I get home ...
Thanks for the idea, though, wouldn't have thought of the keyboard >_>;

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 07:01:18 PM »
Your best bet for control in Touhou games is to use a gamepad;  you're guaranteed to have full, reliable rollover without key ghosting issues.  Laptop keyboards are notoriously terrible at that.  Even some decent external keyboards are bad too.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 03:57:38 AM »
Well... I have an external keyboard... One that has done no such thing, ever.
I'll have to plug it in and see.

If worst comes to worst, I also have a gamepad >_>