Author Topic: Touhou sequels?  (Read 4839 times)

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
Touhou sequels?
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:25:16 PM »
I was scrolling through Youtube uploads of Touhou songs today, when I came across this:

EoSD needs a dam sequel

Now, before you get technical on me, someone replied with this:

Technically, EoSD had 12 sequels. Or 6, if you don't count spin-offs.

But what if there were sequels to individual titles? :V

Like Touhou 6-2 or Touhou 11-2.

Kind of like how the FF series is doing it now.

I'm thinking that the sequels could revolve something around the extra boss and also take the scoring system from the original.

7-2 would have the cherry system and 12-2 would have UFOs again.

But Taizen, the story in 12 is resolved already and there shouldn't be any UFOs anymore
SHUT UP THIS IS FOR SPECULATION

And I would play the shit out of Subterranean Animism 2. ;_;

What do y'all think?

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
Re: Touhou sequels?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:39:53 PM »
I think that it'd never happen.
but if you want speculation... I want a sequel to one game have a sequel to all the games where each stage has a different scoring/lives system and the midboss is the extra boss of that game and the endboss is some new character we haven't seen around (e.g., a 3rd Moriya Shrine god, or Satori's other other sister, etc.).  The extra stage is of course PoFV style against all the original final bosses in a row until you beat them and then HRtP style against
Spoiler:
Mima

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
but if you want speculation... I want a sequel to one game have a sequel to all the games where each stage has a different scoring/lives system and the midboss is Mima and the endboss is some new variation of Mima we haven't seen before (e.g., Moriya shrine god Mima, Satori's long lost sister, Mima).  The extra stage is of course PoDD style against all the original appearances of Mima in a row until you beat them and then HRtP style against
Spoiler:
Mima

Fix'd that for you.  :V

danyun

• Accomplished Lurker
  • Hey
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »
I think a sequel to EoSD would go something like this:
Somethings happening in misty lake so Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, and Remilia decide to do something about it!
I know people are predicting a water themed Touhou game, so there ya go.
I like rain. Do you like rain?

Ibaraki Ibuki

• The Forum Fool
  • Happy Horned Hermit
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:15:04 AM »
I think a sequel to EoSD would go something like this:
Somethings happening in misty lake so Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya, and Remilia decide to do something about it!
I know people are predicting a water themed Touhou game, so there ya go.
Here's a water-themed Touhou fangame. (I don' think it uses EoSD mechanics, but it hopefully works.)

If there were sequels, I can easily imagine a 7.01, 8.01, or 9.01. (Not sure what the plot would be though.)
Some of Master's sayings:
Nothing happened, but that's still an extra.
Yesterday was not special; tomorrow will be.
Strange and romantic is the fate.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:31:04 AM »
EoSD needs no EoSD-like sequels, end of story. Sorry for the people who like this game, though.

but if you want speculation... I want a sequel to one game have a sequel to all the games where each stage has a different scoring/lives system and the midboss is the extra boss of that game and the endboss is some new character we haven't seen around (e.g., a 3rd Moriya Shrine god, or Satori's other other sister, etc.).  The extra stage is of course PoFV style against all the original final bosses in a row until you beat them and then HRtP style against
Spoiler:
Mima

I'd like a game where grazing makes you lose points (1), being invulnerable while grazing makes you lose even more points, trying to memorize stages and boss patterns would eventually get you killed because the stages and bosses would use different attacks without any warning at any given point in the game (2).

(1): could be done by having a temporary multiplier in the game (as in, they don't carry over stages and can be lowered during stages); grazing would lower it
(2): even if the attacks wouldn't change, the enemy movements could be more random or depend heavily on your positioning and timing (for example, far away enemies shooting at you could force you to dodge at different directions, which would in turn affect the enemy AI's movement and/or their shot timing, in a way that makes it difficult for two runs to be played the same way)
(3): (1) and (2) are my attempts to give some sense to my own joke ideas.

Alternatively, make said game with Touhou scoring mechanics medley and mess them up like, (a huge battleship Touhou Arrange Modes is approaching warmly)
- for EoSD, since it emphasizes grazing so much, make EoSD have unlimited extends at each 10m (more for higher difficulties), but per-frame rank increase based on current lives; bomb amount wouldn't be changed when you die (maybe you would gain one bomb, since there would be people playing for survival also), graze would give more points during stages and none at end of stage bonuses
- for MoF, whenever you have full power up, you gain ((current faith counter * current lives/max lives) / some factor to compensate for 999.990 faith counter at max lives) points per frame (except during midbosses/bosses), but the faith counter doesn't carry over through stages (the shining point items and the faith items that replace power items when you have full power would remain as they are, for added bonus)
- for SA, have enemies shoot faster and more while the tension gauge is on, which helps you graze more (and remove the grazing while invincible) and maintain the graze meter. Graze meter would work as a multiplier applied to enemies and affect the amount of point items that they drop. Point items would help maintain the graze meter. (at times, going to the PoC would help initiate a multiplier session if there aren't enough bullets to fill the graze meter)
- for UFO, make UFO takedowns not remove the bullets on screen, and have the player summon each of the three UFO types (not counting rainbow) once, fill them with enough point/power items, destroy them, and then have the player summon, fill and destroy the Rainbow UFO to enter X-Medal mode (lol), where you don't summon UFOs anymore, but instead each UFO fairy releases not one UFO tokens, but three rainbow UFO tokens; collect three of the same color to make the UFO tokens' value raise; the chain resets once one UFO token leaves the screen (Ichirin, Nue and Nazrin would give lives and bombs as usual to compensate for the lack of UFO summons). At a point, when you have maxed the value of UFO tokens, you wouldn't need to chain them and can collect them more freely. (alternatively, to raise the value of UFO tokens, it could be required that the player has collected all of the UFO tokens on the screen first, like in the Raiden Fighters series)

no ideas, for now, about the other games.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

zeruna

• It's zeruna!
  • Not Zeruna!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 01:49:03 AM »
If they were to get a sequel, they all should have crossovers with different anime and games and such. Each game will also have a new mode called "ALL-OUT! Mode" where you fight all the bosses at full power from the start and you have unlimited amount of bombs, but you will only have one life, no continues, and no pause! :V

_cf

• playing with training wheels
  • "Touhou" is japanese for "silly hats only"
    • my Pixiv
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 01:58:55 PM »
Sequels that weren't planed beforehand are a bad idea. It's cool if you plan a large story that has to be released in parts. It's not fine if you release something, and then release "something II" next summer because people liked it a lot. I'm really glad that ZUN keeps moving into new territory.

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 06:17:13 AM »
Your argument... doesn't make a lick of sense.

All you're suggesting are rehashes of already existing games, which would be pointless.
As for the concept of sequels.  10D builds off of UFO, UFO builds off of SA, and SA builds off of MoF.  Prior to that, the plots were fully self-contained.

_cf

• my Pixiv
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 01:41:51 PM »
Your argument... doesn't make a lick of sense.

All you're suggesting are rehashes of already existing games, which would be pointless.
As for the concept of sequels.  10D builds off of UFO, UFO builds off of SA, and SA builds off of MoF.  Prior to that, the plots were fully self-contained.
It's cool if you plan a large story that has to be released in parts.
Now I'm not sure if what I said was clear. The current "arc" of Touhou games is a good example of how to work with Sequels.

A bad example of how to work with sequels would be: ZUN is awed by how popular Sakuya, Remilia and Flandre still are and decides that his next games will be: Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil II, Troubles in Voile and  Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil III, the onsen episode.

Sequels made for catering to the fans' wishes are, well, fanservice. Fanservice is better served in the form of doujinshi or other fanmade stuff, which are like 96.bullshit% of Touhou's footprint, anyway.

ZUN needs guts to look to the huge fandom he created, and say "yeah, the next game is about yet another bunch of new characters doing their own thing."

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 01:03:57 AM »
But isn't the Scarlet Devil Mansion people always doing something? I mean you see them enough in the canon works.

_cf

• my Pixiv
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »
But isn't the Scarlet Devil Mansion people always doing something? I mean you see them enough in the canon works.
They not only are doing something, but they are frequently doing something wickedly awesome, like building a wooden rocket and going to the moon. But so what? ZUN doesn't have to make new games to tell the kind of crazy cool stuff his popular characters keep doing, because fans will gladly do that, in their own time.

Seriously, this is an entirely sane business model if you're more interested on following your creativity.

Nekomata-chan

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 01:53:35 PM »
There can't really be sequels, anyway. The entire point of the game was stopping the incident, so if there was any way in which it could return with a vengeance then that would mean that the protagonists didn't do their job properly, right?

But, say, if the games had been split up then maybe it could have "sequels" or "parts" to use a better word.