Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 7)  (Read 44123 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 7)
« Reply #420 on: January 30, 2012, 02:31:21 AM »
>"I would think moving her to a box with a lid would settle the issue. Unless she's really attached to that one."

>"Yeah, yeah..." she grumbles.

« Reply #421 on: January 30, 2012, 03:27:38 AM »
>Arch an eyebrow.
>"Something wrong with boxes with lids?"

« Reply #422 on: January 30, 2012, 03:42:36 AM »
>Arch an eyebrow.
>"Something wrong with boxes with lids?"

>She throws you a gruff look. "Hey, this is what was around, okay?"

« Reply #423 on: January 30, 2012, 03:47:38 AM »
>Well, that's a nerve.
>"Hey, I'm just tryin' to be helpful here. Given the outcome, I don't want to see her get into the pantry again either."
>"I can try and scrounge something servicable while I'm out settling this?"

« Reply #424 on: January 30, 2012, 03:51:23 AM »
>Well, that's a nerve.
>"Hey, I'm just tryin' to be helpful here. Given the outcome, I don't want to see her get into the pantry again either."
>"I can try and scrounge something servicable while I'm out settling this?"

>"Eh, you don't have to bother," she says, softening a little. "I can dig somethin' up once I'm off watch."

« Reply #425 on: January 30, 2012, 03:59:18 AM »
>Small smile. "Suit y'self."
>Head for Murasa's room.
>Just for shits and giggles, produce dousing rods before knocking, once we get there and see if we have a sense of what we picked up earlier.
>If nothing presents itself, knock and announce ourselves.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 04:08:07 AM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #426 on: January 30, 2012, 05:01:22 AM »
>Small smile. "Suit y'self."
>Head for Murasa's room.
>Just for shits and giggles, produce dousing rods before knocking, once we get there and see if we have a sense of what we picked up earlier.
>If nothing presents itself, knock and announce ourselves.

>You say goodbye to Chisato and cross the deck to Murasa's cabin.
>Before knocking, you take your dowsing rods out and have another sweep for that odd sensation you detected earlier. The results are much the same as the last time you tried this. A little disappointing, but perhaps not unexpected.
>You knock on the door and announce your presence.
>"Come on in!" you hear Murasa call out from inside.

« Reply #427 on: January 30, 2012, 05:05:57 AM »
>Enter.

« Reply #428 on: January 30, 2012, 05:16:51 AM »
>Enter.

>You open the door and step inside. Murasa is lounging in one of the benches by the table, her arms behind her head. She looks at you as you enter.
>"Don't suppose you had any luck?" The expression on her face suggests she's not holding out much hope.

« Reply #429 on: January 30, 2012, 05:20:39 AM »
>"More than you might think. I have an angle, but I needed some information from you first."
>"Can you remember when you got that liscense? The exact date. Or as near as you can get to it, anyway."

« Reply #430 on: January 30, 2012, 05:33:48 AM »
>"More than you might think. I have an angle, but I needed some information from you first."
>"Can you remember when you got that liscense? The exact date. Or as near as you can get to it, anyway."

>Murasa cocks her head to the side, looking a little taken aback. "The exact date? Uh, I could give you the year... maybe...?" She frowns.

« Reply #431 on: January 30, 2012, 05:35:21 AM »
>Swell.
>"I reckon our friend Lousie'll want a bit closer than that. Wouldn't happen to have it written down somewhere?"

« Reply #432 on: January 30, 2012, 05:37:11 AM »
>Swell.
>"I reckon our friend Lousie'll want a bit closer than that. Wouldn't happen to have it written down somewhere?"

>"Yeah," she says dryly. "On the license."

« Reply #433 on: January 30, 2012, 06:01:26 AM »
>"Well, not like it was ever supposed to be an issue."
>Suppose we'd best jog the good captain's memory.
>"Can you remember what you were hauling when you first got the thing?"

« Reply #434 on: January 30, 2012, 06:12:51 AM »
>"Well, not like it was ever supposed to be an issue."
>Suppose we'd best jog the good captain's memory.
>"Can you remember what you were hauling when you first got the thing?"

>"No kidding," she says.
>You figure it's worth a shot, anyway.
>"Uh..." She scratches her head. "That was a lot of years ago. Stuff just kinda blends together after a while, you know? I think it was a little after they reorganized the tariffs and we got re-classed. Was that... was that 9 years ago now?" She frowns in silence for a moment. "Think it was mid-summer, anyway."

« Reply #435 on: January 30, 2012, 06:22:38 AM »
>Mid-summer 9 years ago. After a tariff reorganization.
>"I would imagine that was one of your first visits here in town?"

« Reply #436 on: January 30, 2012, 06:28:20 AM »
>Mid-summer 9 years ago. After a tariff reorganization.
>"I would imagine that was one of your first visits here in town?"

>You make a mental note.
>"Oh, not even close," she says with a snicker. "Been here off and on since way back. Heck, I've been sailing longer than some of my crew's been alive. But regulations change, you know?"

« Reply #437 on: January 30, 2012, 06:35:44 AM »
>"Regulations change, beurocracy stays the same."
>"So, I'm guessing that would make you a youkai, then?"

« Reply #438 on: January 30, 2012, 06:51:22 AM »
>"Regulations change, beurocracy stays the same."
>"So, I'm guessing that would make you a youkai, then?"

>She rolls her eyes. "Tell me about it."
>"I'm a ghost," she says. "Not the vengeful kind, don't worry."

« Reply #439 on: January 30, 2012, 06:57:29 AM »
>Size her up and down, then grin.
>"You seem a bit more solid than most ghosts I've heard talk of."

« Reply #440 on: January 30, 2012, 07:01:22 AM »
>Size her up and down, then grin.
>"You seem a bit more solid than most ghosts I've heard talk of."

>You size the captain up and down. She raises an eyebrow.
>"'bout as solid as you are," she says. "Got as much in common with those little wispy things as you do with a tree."

« Reply #441 on: January 30, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »
>Have we ever had contact with a corporeal ghost? Or a ghost in general, for that matter?
>Have we ever been a part of, or instigated by ourselves, any ruse involving ghosts to get Marisa's goat?
>Does Braston have any famous ghosts?
>What kinda ghosts hung around Easthaven, especially the orphanage?
>To our knowledge, how many ghosts has Rinnosuke busted?

« Reply #442 on: January 30, 2012, 08:29:09 AM »
>Have we ever had contact with a corporeal ghost? Or a ghost in general, for that matter?

>You believe you once saw a corporeal ghost from some distance away, or at least you suspected this is what she was, given the wispy trail of white where her legs ought to have been. Such ghosts are considerably less common than youkai, but not unheard of. Or, at least, they're less common here. Meijima is supposedly full of them, but Braston doesn't get much traffic from the isolated island. You've never actually spoken with one before now. You'd heard that at least some part of them is often insubstancial enough to make their nature obvious, but this clearly isn't universal.
>As for the other type of ghost, you've seen your share of scattered wispy phantoms some nights in Easthaven and more rarely in Braston - they seem to be less common here, for whatever reason. You recall in particular a field expedition into the wilderness in your early days as an apprentice. Your group encountered a swarm of them gathered around a peat bog that you'd stumbled into because the team leader had read the map wrong - as you'd been unsuccessfully trying to point out to him for nearly an hour.
>While the phantoms are generally harmless, large groups of them can sometimes have strange effects on a person's psyche. There was something... gloomy to the air there, like a weight upon your soul that grew heavier with each passing moment. It was a difficult sensation to describe, but nearly everyone reported feeling much the same thing - many of them even worse than you. One young girl had to be physically pulled away from the bog after becoming nearly catatonic. Needless to say, the lot of you quickly backtracked. Still, the sight of the phantoms rising as a cloud above the bog was strangely enthralling and that image has stuck with you for years. You also keenly remember spending the rest of the day with wet mud in your boots...

>Have we ever been a part of, or instigated by ourselves, any ruse involving ghosts to get Marisa's goat?
>Does Braston have any famous ghosts?
>What kinda ghosts hung around Easthaven, especially the orphanage?
>To our knowledge, how many ghosts has Rinnosuke busted?

>You have not. Even if you'd been of a mindset for pulling pranks, it was well known that Marisa always made a point of giving better than she got. Woe betide someone who actually managed to make her jump.
>None famous enough for you to regard them as such, anyway.
>Wispy phantoms could be seen at night from time to time, perhaps most commonly by the graveyard but certainly not restricted to there. You don't know that many of them hung out anywhere for a prolonged length of time; you understand that they don't usually last very long before dissipating. However, you do remember one that showed up near the swing on the big tree behind the orphanage for nearly a week in a row. Ichirin spent some hours in silent meditation with it on the second evening, and then asked that no one torment it while it remained there. You didn't really spend much time around it, but if you had to describe it, you would say it seemed somewhat 'cheerful', if that's a word that can be properly applied to a featureless ball of ectoplasm. Then after a few more days, it was gone. Whether it dissipated or simply moved elsewhere, you have no idea; you could easily have seen it somewhere else and not recognized it. They do, after all, look virtually identical to each other.
>You have no idea if he's 'busted' any at all, though it wouldn't altogether surprise you if he had. He rarely speaks of his exploits in more than generalities.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #443 on: January 30, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »
>"Just take your time and pick over the stuff you remember from then one bit at a time. The more you can tell me, the more likely I can get that brick youkai to actually budge on something."

« Reply #444 on: January 30, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »
>"So, how does a ghost end up the captain of a ship like this?"

« Reply #445 on: January 30, 2012, 09:29:15 PM »
>"Just take your time and pick over the stuff you remember from then one bit at a time. The more you can tell me, the more likely I can get that brick youkai to actually budge on something."

>"Ha!" Murasa laughs. "Bet some of those are less thick-headed to boot. Let's see..." She frowns in silence for a few moments.
>"Summer of 573... I wanna say July. ...maybe?" She lets out a frustrated sigh. "Damned if I thought I'd ever need to remember this. You think that'll be good enough for her?" Her tone is dry and her expression doubtful.

>"So, how does a ghost end up the captain of a ship like this?"

>She raises an eyebrow. "Probably the same way anyone else would. Sailing's in my blood. Uh, well, you know..." She scratches her head sheepishly.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #446 on: January 30, 2012, 09:36:52 PM »
>"Given how useless she's been thus far, probably not. Hmm, what's the first thing you remember from that season, or that year if you have to, that you can put a definite date to. Think forward or back from that."

« Reply #447 on: January 30, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »
>"Well, it'd be enough for me. Louise? Maybe not so much."
>"So, does that mean you were a sailor before you...." Shrug slightly. "Yknow."

« Reply #448 on: January 30, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »
>"So, does that mean you were a sailor before you...." Shrug slightly. "Yknow."

>"Think I might've been," she says. "Can't really remember much. You don't need to be delicate about it, by the way. It's not a touchy subject."

>"Well, it'd be enough for me. Louise? Maybe not so much."
>"Given how useless she's been thus far, probably not. Hmm, what's the first thing you remember from that season, or that year if you have to, that you can put a definite date to. Think forward or back from that."

>Her eyes grow distant. "Well... I think that was the year I was helping Ishi install some new rotors, after one of the old ones started to shear. Or was that..." She pauses. "Actually..."
>She stands up and walks over to a small group of pipes with flared brass mouthpieces running along the wall by her desk. Then she leans over one and shouts into it.
>"Hey, Ishi!"
>A few moments later, a diffuse and somewhat muffled voice resonates back up the pipe. "What's up, boss?"
>"Don't guess you know what date we got that export license on?" Murasa calls back into the tube.
>"What're you asking me for?" comes the reply.
>Murasa gives a tired sigh. "Just give me an answer," she says dryly.
>"Uhhhh...." The kappa's vocal musing echoes through the piping with a harsh metallic ring. "...May 572?"
>"Ah, dammit!" Murasa yells, scuffing one foot across the floor as she does so.

« Reply #449 on: January 30, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »
>"Well, you were in the ballpark, captain."
>Is there baseball?
>If not, say, "Well, you were close, captain."