Author Topic: [TF2] MotK Meetups (Next Meet: SOMEBODY SCREEEEAAAAAM! Oct 31s - Nov 1st)  (Read 338430 times)

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
Re: [TF2] MotK Meetups (NEXT MEET: Feb 9-11, 7PM, Highlander Mode!)
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2012, 04:51:04 AM »
I'm considering the use of passwords for each day.

We can also reduce maxplayers to 19 (replay being the extra) and have omgkitties restart the server to set the value, and after it's done revert it back to current 25. That way no one will have to sit out, but server can get full and I'll likely have to kick any pubbies on to prioritise slots to registered players.

Also edited registration list to change my placement to be anything as needed. Better fits my general jack-of-all-trades approach.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:56:58 PM by LOLSQUID 짬뽕 스페셜 »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2012, 04:25:35 AM »
Today's results:
 - Players - While the MotK numbers were around expected, quite a few pubbies joined in, leading to some 5v5 and 6v6 matches. Overall friendly or quiet group today. The lower player limit (19) should keep us from constantly playing Arena only. :V
 - Highlander - went smoothly for most everything; few complained about class lockout. However, using gScramble with Highlander on caused some very strange quirks, crashing Exuro and Alpha's clients in the process.
 - Lag Issue - still there, still obvious, and it affects even those of us with good ping. Later determined to be possibly server-side and hardware-related; a fix may arrive shortly.
 - As for actual playing - for me, I spec'd most of the games but made a few mean plays (in particular, one stab fest on Freight that left the entire BLU team dead on their 2nd point).
 - Other things of note:
    o Sunny asked me about packaging all the maps into one giant archive. While this can be convenient for installation, I would rather link the original map pages instead (when possible), and I find mega-archives a bit risky to download, especially for those with spotty connections.
    o A 'Pubs v Pros' style match-up (6 competitive-style advanced players vs. 9 highlander-style 'pubbie' ones) is definitely under consideration. Such a meet probably won't occur for a bit; I'd prefer that the next match have no special rules. I'd add the MatchMod plugin to that by then to facilitate the implementation.

So yeah, that's that.
Bad command or file name

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2012, 04:30:56 AM »
ah geez totally forgot about this :(

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2012, 04:46:36 AM »
Well, at the time of writing 5 players (4 MotK, 1 pub) are still in there, going at it in Arena mode (which, oddly, does not stack with Highlander). Feel free to jump in and join the small ongoing skirmish!
Bad command or file name

« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2012, 05:37:39 AM »
I had class this day, but will be able to go and play tomorrow, along with my other friend.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Messiah

• The Devil on The Sky~
  • In seek for the lost DotS
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »
That crit rocket at the final cp at foundry that saved the team was one of my luckiest doings in tf2, man.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:41:15 PM by Messiah »
Steam Profile                 Myanimelist Profile

« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »
I'm going to idle at the MotK server, if you don't mind. Meet's closing in on my time.

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2012, 02:10:53 AM »
Nice playing with you guys, although you people seriously need to protect your medic, especially when he has 200+ ping.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2012, 02:42:25 AM »
It went pretty well, indeed. Didn't notice N-Forza was with us at first...just how many times did I send rockets towards ya, again? :V

Other comments:
 - More 6v6 and over this time around, so the matches went smoothly and with little hassle.
 - Confirmed BSoD and Frey's comments from late yesterday that Arena and Highlander do not mix at all. Turning on Highlander on arena_nucleus seemed to even cause extra lag.
 - Upon a vote (and far too many crits in both directions), I disabled random crits. People definitely seemed happier about that change, and it may be considered as a default option.
 - A similar vote occurred for respawn time - we had it at instant initially, but due to complaints about such breaking game balance (especially on final CPs) the issue was put to vote, with halved respawn time (or, in the TF2 console, 'mp_respawnwavetime 5' - default is 10) winning out. This went more smoothly than expected, with the pure gameplay balance not nearly as broken as it used to be and respawn times not horribly (15+ seconds) long (at least on my end).
 - Fixed weapon spread and no random spread damage were also suggested by players with scrim/competitive experience. They'll definitely be on for a competitive-style meet, but otherwise I'm not entirely sure.

That crit rocket at the final cp at foundry that saved the team was one of my luckiest doings in tf2, man.
As was that rocket that Frey or Exuro shot towards me, sending me airbourne right onto their final CP to win the round. :V
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:21:30 AM by LOLSQUID 짬뽕 스페셜 »
Bad command or file name

N-Forza

« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2012, 02:59:55 AM »
Random weapon spread is all right imo, but spread damage should be off.

Normally I like random crits, but in smaller matches, it's probably not necessary.

« Reply #160 on: February 11, 2012, 03:29:41 AM »
The meet went well, I should say.

I landed more than 10 trickstabs, so yay me! (Most of them were from Demonbman but hey. Also landed a jumpstab on a scout; I got a warm fuzzy feeling from that.)

Fun matches, and I can't wait for tomorrow!

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2012, 04:07:09 AM »
I played much better as Scout than I expected, despite not playing him that much :V

But pyro I did well as well, which also surprised me since I haven't played as him for a while :V

« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2012, 04:29:05 AM »
I played much better as Scout than I expected, despite not playing him that much :V

But pyro I did well as well, which also surprised me since I haven't played as him for a while :V

Yeah your pyro was very annoying. It means you're good. :V

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Freyband

• Mpph! Mmm, mm mmm mph mmm!
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2012, 05:42:48 AM »
Was fun. Hope it'll go well tomorrow too (also I'm now sure my scout training from Alpha has kicked in).
On the note of protecting the medic with 200+ ping: That was probably BSoD( :V)... I kept trying to kill him as the other teams medic. Typically ended up horribly because soldiers make me frown (And Im pretty sure that soldier was Gpop). I do not enjoy rockets, at least not when they are aimed at me. x.x
Steam - freyband
Xbox Live - Zeroxes
My TF2 Backpack

« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2012, 06:59:37 AM »
That was so much fun! I'm glad I got to play with everyone, you all are all so good! I can't wait till we get to play again!

N-Forza

« Reply #165 on: February 11, 2012, 08:16:08 AM »
I was the Medic with 200 ping, at least on Egypt. But BSoD was pretty easy pickings too.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #166 on: February 11, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
Yeah, my ping gets nowhere near 200+ (unless the server is lagging everyone, which it has done). Just lag in general was causing me to be an easy target half the time, fps wise, and server wise. (I really hate it when my inputs are so delayed) This is another reason why I like 2fort so much: small map = significantly less lag because of bad GPU.

I should be able to get to the meet today too.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »
I dunno why I got 8 ping last I checked during the meetup...and I was at school :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2012, 08:19:10 PM »
Your school's internet must be better than what you get at home then :V

Well the later maps tend to be more GPU-intensive than the older ones, so....
Bad command or file name

InfernalExuro

• Totally not dead, I swear.
  • I lied. Totally dead.
« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2012, 10:58:41 PM »
Sorry about not turning up for these next few nights. :V Had stuff come up once again... at least I managed to play Thursday night.
Steam | NNID: InfernalExuro | 3DS FC: [whoops my 3ds died] | FFXIV: Violet Nolansson [Gilgamesh]

Freyband

• Mpph! Mmm, mm mmm mph mmm!
« Reply #170 on: February 12, 2012, 03:18:51 AM »
Well the meets were pretty fun but I think I can live without highlander for awhile (except on medieval mode where it stops demoknight/sniper spam). See you all next time we have a meet occur! :3
Steam - freyband
Xbox Live - Zeroxes
My TF2 Backpack

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
« Reply #171 on: February 12, 2012, 03:21:35 AM »
And this was how the time there passed for today:
 - Nocrits and halved respawn time were in from the start in addition to Highlander.
 - Player-wise we often hit 14-16, once having a full 9v9 on Degroot with a few being unable to join at times since server was filled :V
 - Initial lag was high, and after some IMs with omgkitties he killed a server process to reduce memory load, which had the inadvertent side effect of disabling the replay server. That did solve a good bit of the lag issues we were having, fortunately.
 - What about the next meet? No special rules is confirmed (at least, if I'm the one announcing them); times are not.

Also, we've put up a competitive-grade whitelist for tournament mode. More details when a semi-competitive style meet arises.

Well the meets were pretty fun but I think I can live without highlander for awhile (except on medieval mode where it stops demoknight/sniper spam).
So you're suggesting we add class restricting plugins.
Bad command or file name

« Reply #172 on: February 12, 2012, 03:42:27 AM »
GGs all of you.

It wasn't my day today, I'm afraid.

My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #173 on: February 12, 2012, 04:16:30 AM »
Next meet, less gimmicks, more plain TF2 fun. Just straightforward usual TF2 with everyone.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [TF2] MotK Meetups (NEXT MEET: ???????????)
« Reply #174 on: February 12, 2012, 05:30:45 AM »
Definitely more plain TF2 next time, no special settings*. I think we tired ourselves out after 3 hours with these meets, possibly amid Highlander and stock gamemode restrictions. Typically we go 4 or 5.
Of course, it will be in the usual format (start with lots of vanilla play, then as things dwindle down start tacking on mods and gimmick modes).

Any good date-time suggestions? I'm thinking 2nd or 3rd week of March at same time (7PM GMT-5), but I'm sure some of you would prefer it be a bit sooner than that.

On an off-note, we deem the map-downloading problem solved for most cases. The major exception would probably be Mac users, who more frequently report some maps working while others are not. However, there aren't enough Mac-based players who go here regularly to confirm this, and my hacked OS X install doesn't run TF2 so I can't test on my own unit :\.

* - probably the only one I'd add is the halved respawn time. It kept much of the original game's balance (a major problem with instant respawn) whilst keeping respawn times tolerable.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:37:40 AM by LOLSQUID 짬뽕 스페셜 »
Bad command or file name

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #175 on: February 12, 2012, 05:37:49 AM »
well I have Reading Week next week but that's too early :V

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
Re: [TF2] MotK Meetups (NEXT MEET: March 29-31 (8PM; 9AM Sat too)
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2012, 02:44:51 AM »
>> WARNING <<
This is not similation. Get ready to dominiate the enemy. Target for the intelligence of f--kin' team. Do your best you have ever done.
(and that is our DonPachi reference for today)

Silly references aside, a meet has been announced for 29th, 30th, and 31st.
Expected meet times in both are below:
All days: 8PM
31st only: 9AM (experimental meet for EU players, as well as admin-related stuff)

All times are in EDT (GMT -5). If your area is not in Summer Time or Daylight Savings, treat it as -4.

There are no special rules in play unlike the last meet-up - just plain old TF2 as we know and love. Only settings changes outside of mods will be the halved respawn times (crits and weapon spread still apply).

Feel free to sign up below! ^_^
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:35:54 PM by はたたた Potato Fryers »
Bad command or file name

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2012, 02:58:59 AM »
Whoo!

I should be able to do both the 8PM ones.
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2012, 03:11:10 AM »
Ah, I was wondering when another meet was going to pop up. Nope. Can't do this one.  :(

Hyper Dunk

• I'm a Double Dragon.
  • I will fight everyone.
« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2012, 03:16:26 AM »
Hopefully I'll have time to play this time around since I wasn't able to play at the last meet, except for a little bit that first night.