Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)  (Read 45300 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 6)
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 06:06:44 AM »
>Well, good a time as any to to restock our gear.
>"Well, if anyone from them comes looking for me, tell them I'm still in town. They'll know what that means."
>Depart and make for that joint that deals with Seekers, that gives us deals on climbing gear, that sort of thing.

>You do likely have a bit of free time before you can expect any of people you're waiting on to be ready. You decide to do some resupplying.
>"Uh, sure," Sashiko replies, raising an eyebrow at you. "No problem."
>You leave the guildhall and head for Arlson Outfitters, only a short walk across the market area that the guild borders on.

>The shop's interior is a large, but rather claustrophobic space, with densely stocked shelves packed too close together. On display are all manner of tools and supplies of the outdoorsman's trade: rope, lanterns, compasses clothing for rough conditions and weather, tents and sleeping bags, survival knives and first aid gear, and many more things than you can take in at a glance. It has more the feel of a storeroom than a store; gear hung off the walls partially obscures what few windows exist, leaving the interior feeling dim despite the sunlight.
>The counter near the door is tended by a heavy-set man with a coarse black beard. He gives a curt nod in your direction as you enter.

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 06:32:14 AM »
>Are the prices for this place listed somewhere? If not, are we familiar with them?
>Seek out a grappling hook, torches if available or a decent lantern preferably green, and a length of stout rope.
>Do there appear to be magical objects of sorts in this place? Magical sources of illumination, 'seeking' grappling hooks, ropes that coil on their own, that sort of thing.

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 08:09:42 AM »
>Are the prices for this place listed somewhere? If not, are we familiar with them?
>Seek out a grappling hook, torches if available or a decent lantern preferably green, and a length of stout rope.
>Do there appear to be magical objects of sorts in this place? Magical sources of illumination, 'seeking' grappling hooks, ropes that coil on their own, that sort of thing.

>There are tags on or near the goods indicating price.
>You wander through the store, looking for the items in question. You find basic but solid grappling hooks listed at 20 guilders each. There are several kinds of torches; the smaller common-use ones are only 2 guilders each, with long-burning waterproof ones costing 7. You see a solid lantern with sturdy casing priced at 24 guilders, though a more basic one can be purchased for 14. There is plenty of rope, but the cost of it is dependent on thickness and length. 50 feet of good quality, medium-duty rope is priced at 8 guilders.

>You suspect there are some minor enchantments on some of the high-end gear for durability, weatherproofing and such things; it's fairly common. Outside of that there are a few very simple magical objects, but if you were in the market for more exotic enchanted goods, this is not where you would come to shop. You see:
>A couple heatstones, useful for either keeping warm or cooking
>Small vials of liquid to purify water for drinking
>A rather pricey canteen that supposedly keeps that water in it safe to drink
>Several single-use glowsticks for lighting in wet conditions
>A compass that can somehow point itself towards the nearest settlement without aid of a map
>Powder that quickly dries wet clothes, wood, or paper
>Several strips of inscribed paper that produce a signaling flare when torn
>Gloves which allow their wearer to grip ice as securely as rough stone
>Attuned lodestones and their corresponding beacons, which serve as a navigational aid back to a specific preset point

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 08:33:08 AM »
>Price check on the Heatstones, Glowsticks, City-seeking compass and Lodestones.

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 08:58:17 AM »
>Price check on the Heatstones, Glowsticks, City-seeking compass and Lodestones.

>The heatstones range from 26 for a small one (about the size of your palm) up to 50 guilders for one large enough to cook a full-sized pot with. The glowsticks are 12 each, the compass is 75, and the lodestones are 48 per pair of lodestone and beacon.

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »
Now as cool as this stuff is, we do only have so much money, and we should keep some of it on hand, in the event we need to travel to cure this, and need boat tickets. Plus we still need to buy more kunai after this, and who knows what else we might find at the weapons store, so here's what I'm thinking we should get here
100 feet of rope (16 guilders), 2 glowsticks (24), one small heatstone (26), one grappling hook (20), 2 mundane torches (4) which is 90 so far. Hmmm....

>Do the glowsticks function underwater?

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2011, 10:04:02 AM »
>Do the glowsticks function underwater?

>Yes.

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2011, 10:17:22 AM »
And besides, nothing stopping from coming back here after we check out the weapons' shop, depending on how much money we have left, since we still have some time before we have to meet Yuugi.

>Purchase 100 feet of rope for 16 guilders, 2 glowsticks for 24, one small heatstone for 26, one grappling hook for 20, 2 mundane torches for 4.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »
I'd say that works for me.
If we can find a sword that'll work with the one we already have, that should do for weaponry.
We're already decent enough at dual-wielding, so having a slightly smaller sword of similar style to go with the current one would be a logical thing.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 10:26:31 AM »
I'm thinking perhaps a rapier. Naz seems more the agile swashbuckler type than the longsword type, for some reason.
Either that or a solid dirk. Something like that hunting knife we left in the youkai, for instance.
A twinblade (Illadain style) would be a dream for me, and I think would fit Naz as well, but I admit to some personal bias there. :P Plus I'm sure onea those'd be expensive as all hell.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2011, 10:37:31 AM »
I was thinking more of a wakizashi, like Youmu. Seeing as how the sword that we kinda can't let go of is a katana.
It's not exactly one of the things we're proficient with, but it'll suffice until we can kick this curse to the curb.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »
Ha! I like it. That's an excellent idea. If we can find one for a decent price, of course.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2011, 10:42:36 AM »
If we're going to do multiple weapons, it'd be a good idea to consider what kinds of things we'd be up against first. It's been stated we're not that comfortable with swords in a proper fight. In that kind of case, it may be a good idea to consider a decent shield (assuming they culturally exist; shields died out in Japan around the end of the Heian Era in favor of bows, then two-handed weapons).

It might be best to stick with the knives we know. They offer a lot of control and speed, and have more tool use than larger weapons. Given we're small anyways, getting in closer than optimal is already going to have to be a thing we do. Not to mention they're way easier to hide if we need to appear unarmed.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »
Math ain't my strong suit, but I did some number-crunching based on the prices for the items already displayed, and matched it with RL prices.
By my(albeit horrid) calculations, it should be somewhere from 50-150 guilders for a sturdy enough one. I'm thinking at least 90 though for a decent one though.

Of course, we could get a one-handed shortspear to go with it too, folks used to use that combat style too.
In fact, I myself have a preference for styles like that. Though I prefer two-handed spears/swords more.
See, the spear was used on midrange foes, and the sword was used as a follow-up attack.

For a suitable spear, it should be somewhere between 40-130, give or take a few.
I'm thinking we can get our weapons from Yuugi, her work seems to be better than anything else we could get at.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2011, 10:56:21 AM »
Spears might work well for Nazrin; and she could probably transition into javelins with less pain than normal as she has some experience with aiming thrown weapons, and even if a pilum doesn't culturally exist, it wouldn't be too hard to make one. But spears tend to be kind of limited in how you can use them; they can't slash very well, and aren't much suited for bludgeoning. Not to mention if some prick grabs the shaft we'd have issues.

Really, I think it may be best to stick with the knives we know best as a main weapon, save for specialized situations like the spider youkai.

>What sorts of defense skills do we have?

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2011, 11:35:26 AM »
We need to see Yuugi again later on today, so we should definately check out what she has to offer. I'm inclined to agree that she might be the best weaponsmith in town. Plus, she likes us. Might cut us a better deal than some others.
As for our preferred weapon, I think we should keep our options open, not set our minds in stone for anything just yet. Wait and see what, if anything, Yuugi has in our range, and then go from there. We may be able to pick up more than one weapon to compliment our katana here, depending on prices. But I definately think we should pick up a few more kunai, before anything else. They've served us very well so far.

>Is there a weapons' store in town that deals with Seekers on a regular basis, might have deals for them?
>Who is reputed to be the best weaponsmith in town?

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2011, 08:31:12 PM »
>Purchase 100 feet of rope for 16 guilders, 2 glowsticks for 24, one small heatstone for 26, one grappling hook for 20, 2 mundane torches for 4.

>You collect a variety of supplies and bring them to the counter. The shopkeeper skims them over with a practiced eye.
>"Comes to 75 with guild discount," he says bruskly.

>What sorts of defense skills do we have?

>The Seeker's training program did include some instruction in personal defense, though martial skills were far from the focus of the overall instruction. Getting into fights and danger is far from unknown for more adventurous Seekers, but more emphasis was placed on tracking, navigation, appraisal, wilderness skills, spotting and using deception and so forth. You've had a small amount of practice with a variety of common weapons - enough to feel capable of using them correctly, though you would rank yourself little more than an amateur with most. The training also spent some time on improvised weaponry, and thinking on one's feet in a combat situation. Outside of the basics, training tended to be more individuated and free-form. Seekers tend to be a fairly self-directed bunch, by definition. You know many apprentices eschewed further weapons practice, or did so only casually. Others honed their own interests in that domain outside of official Seeker training, and you're pretty sure Marisa was a skilled magician before she ever signed up; certainly no one around the guild could have taught her to do what she does.
>During basic training, you developed an affinity for throwing knives, and your naturally high agility made you adept with them. You put in a fair amount of target practice on your own and consider yourself to be a pretty good shot. Likewise, your stature and nimbleness made you good at operating and evading within close quarters, though you've rarely sparred with a truly high-level melee fighter; you outclassed most of the other apprentices fairly quickly, and the more experienced Seekers tended to be on the move a lot, though some would pitch in with the apprentices every now and again.

>Is there a weapons' store in town that deals with Seekers on a regular basis, might have deals for them?
>Who is reputed to be the best weaponsmith in town?

>You imagine that some do at least a little business with individual Seekers, though you don't know of any place that would offer you a specific bargain just for being one.
>Of that, you're honestly uncertain. You have little familiarity with individual smiths, though Yuugi's work looked quite skilled from what you saw.

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
>Pay the man.
>Have we any training with ranged weapons beyond throwing knives?
>Where would we go to replenish edible supplies for the road?

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2011, 02:34:53 AM »
>Pay the man.
>Have we any training with ranged weapons beyond throwing knives?
>Where would we go to replenish edible supplies for the road?

>You pay 75 guilders. You have 380 remaining.
>You've shot a bow a few times, though you find them rather more awkward and wouldn't consider yourself very good at it.
>Any dry grocer's should suffice; there are several in town.

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2011, 02:58:22 AM »
>May as well make for one of those dry grocers', then. Whichever one we're most familiar with.

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2011, 03:33:55 AM »
>May as well make for one of those dry grocers', then. Whichever one we're most familiar with.

>You pack your purchases away and exit the outfitters, then make your way towards the nearby dry grocer that you tend to favor. Their selection is not as expansive as some, but the prices are better.

>The thick and stuffy scent of preserved food wafts across you as you enter the shop, a low-ceilinged space bountiful in creaky floorboards. Arrayed about the room are dried cheeses, meats, and fruit, as well as tinned goods, and flour, rice, and other staples in large sacks behind the counter. The grocer, a balding middle-aged man with a perpetual distracted expression is currently dealing with another customer's transaction. He pays little note of you as you enter.

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2011, 03:50:43 AM »
>Select supplies enough for.... let's say three days on the road.

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2011, 04:04:21 AM »
>Select supplies enough for.... let's say three days on the road.

>You browse through the store and select a reasonable spread of dried meat, cheese, and crackers to last you at least three days traveling. All told, it comes to 7 guilders.

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2011, 04:23:27 AM »
>Wait our turn in line, then pay our bill.
>The three kunai that we left town with the first time, those came from a local weapons dealer? If so, what did he/she charge us for them?

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2011, 04:30:20 AM »
>Wait our turn in line, then pay our bill.
>The three kunai that we left town with the first time, those came from a local weapons dealer? If so, what did he/she charge us for them?

>You pay for the supplies you've gathered. You now have 373 guilders.
>They did. If you recall correctly, they cost you around 45 guilders for the set of three.

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 04:39:34 AM »
>Then let's go there, and see if they have any more in stock.

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2011, 04:56:24 AM »
>Then let's go there, and see if they have any more in stock.

>This next stop takes you much of the way across town to a reputable weapon's dealer. Though this part of the world is fairly peaceful and quiet, you think they still do a good business outfitting the Watch, as well as the more adventurous types that come and go.
>The storefront itself is small, but lined with a multitude of well-crafted weapons in a variety of sizes and styles, scrupulously organized on display racks. It is hard to spot any item even an inch out of alignment. The interior is brightly lit, and you suspect the merchandise has been deliberately positioned so as to maximize the gleam the sun makes upon their keen blades. Quickly scanning the contents of the store, you spot a half-dozen kunai in the style of your own, resting inside a glass display case.

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2011, 05:17:32 AM »
>Is the price on them what we remember?
>Look about for a wakizashi.

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2011, 05:32:24 AM »
>Is the price on them what we remember?
>Look about for a wakizashi.

>They appear to be priced at 48 per set of three, and 20 each if bought individually.
>You see a trio of wakizashi in slightly different lengths. They range from 165 to 215 guilders each.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:58:19 AM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2011, 05:45:29 AM »
>Examine what they have in the range of rapiers, dirks, shortspears and twinblades.