Author Topic: Silent Sinner in Blue  (Read 28454 times)

Gpop

Re: Silent Sinner in Blue
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
I find Aki Eda's art quite the opposite of cute in my eyes. Like Muffin said, they're too bland.

But Arsen DID post the first half of Ch 16 a while ago. We just need to wait for the second half to be scanlated =/. Once she finishes that, I'm almost sure that the rest of the chapters will be finished in no time.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 07:07:23 PM »
Also, I'd argue against the Watatsuki's being called Mary Sues (because really, they're not), but no-one would listen to me.  Sigh... I'll just go and sit in the "I actually like the Watatsukis!" corner by myself...

By yourself? M'boy, you know that I love Yoriyori as much as you do. <3 A Toyotoyo is wonderful, too. And of course, the creature that is known as Reisen Mk.II is incredibly moe~

Gpop

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 07:14:33 PM »
I like Toyohime enough to be one of my favourite characters. She doesn't appear to be as much of a Mary Sue as Yorhime, but as much as I like them, I still say that they're Mary Sues.

LordVant

• I'm a strange type of crazy...the one you love and fear
  • Do not challenge the gateguard
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 08:07:27 PM »
I was about to say this is getting entirely off-topic, but there's not much more to say about the release and the title is SSiB anyway so...
I prefer Matsuki Ugatsu, mainly because he has a dark way of portraying the touhou universe. Though Haniwa's Store has a more cute way of drawing, though not quite moe.

FIGHT!

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »
Also, I'd argue against the Watatsuki's being called Mary Sues (because really, they're not), but no-one would listen to me.  Sigh... I'll just go and sit in the "I actually like the Watatsukis!" corner by myself...

By yourself? M'boy, you know that I love Yoriyori as much as you do. <3 A Toyotoyo is wonderful, too. And of course, the creature that is known as Reisen Mk.II is incredibly moe~

Yes, but you and I are the same person, remember?  Although it seems like we have at least Gpop for company~

Kind of off topic, but I suppose I should get around to reading the fairies at some point, seeing how they're the only official doujin that I haven't read at all yet... Is it worth reading?
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Drake

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 10:36:57 PM »
I'd argue against the Watatsuki's being called Mary Sues (because really, they're not), but no-one would listen to me
Even if they're not the perfect description of a Mary Sue, they pretty much were just written as characters who could pretty much beat anyone by barely doing anything. Even at the end, they were never really beaten per se, they just got tricked. Even Yukari has a bit of reason for generally being able to obliterate everything, but even she can lose disputes through danmaku (coincidentally, it was implemented for cases like this and is likely as such the only way for her to lose a fight).

Of course, the only reason that they were so much stronger than anyone was the lack of spell card rules to follow and other such devices, but either way it's easy to see how everyone describes them as Mary Sues. I myself think the same. Of course you can have a villain in a story that originally beats the protagonists because that's just a general plot point, but it really was a bit off.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »
I'd argue against the Watatsuki's being called Mary Sues (because really, they're not), but no-one would listen to me
Even if they're not the perfect description of a Mary Sue, they pretty much were just written as characters who could pretty much beat anyone by barely doing anything. Even at the end, they were never really beaten per se, they just got tricked. Even Yukari has a bit of reason for generally being able to obliterate everything, but even she can lose disputes through danmaku (coincidentally, it was implemented for cases like this and is likely as such the only way for her to lose a fight).

Of course, the only reason that they were so much stronger than anyone was the lack of spell card rules to follow and other such devices, but either way it's easy to see how everyone describes them as Mary Sues. I myself think the same. Of course you can have a villain in a story that originally beats the protagonists because that's just a general plot point, but it really was a bit off.
This.

If it was me doing it, I'd've (a) gone out of my way to show the protagonists' strengths, and (b) shown Yorihime with skill, not hax. She'd win, not because she goes "Can't touch this!", but because she's an equal or better fighter. She'd lose to Reimu, not because the latter goes "no u," but at least in part because she was getting worn out. (For maximum comedy, she'd be so worn out that Reimu would KO her by flicking her forehead. And then she'd carry her unconscious form to the Capital.) And Toyohime's "destroy-everything haxweapon" wouldn't be just a fan. It'd be something physically huge, and we'd see it beforehand, with hints as to its purpose.

I still can't think of anything that could possibly top
Spoiler:
a swimsuit-party in a library in the middle of winter
, though.

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 12:49:09 AM »

This.

If it was me doing it, I'd've (a) gone out of my way to show the protagonists' strengths, and (b) shown Yorihime with skill, not hax. She'd win, not because she goes "Can't touch this!", but because she's an equal or better fighter. She'd lose to Reimu, not because the latter goes "no u," but at least in part because she was getting worn out. (For maximum comedy, she'd be so worn out that Reimu would KO her by flicking her forehead. And then she'd carry her unconscious form to the Capital.) And Toyohime's "destroy-everything haxweapon" wouldn't be just a fan. It'd be something physically huge, and we'd see it beforehand, with hints as to its purpose.

I still can't think of anything that could possibly top
Spoiler:
a swimsuit-party in a library in the middle of winter
, though.

I honestly don't know what the term "Mary Sue" means, but I actually liked the Watatsuki's very much. In fact, I liked SSiB as a whole a lot. I actually liked the fan Toyohime used, but I do admit the fight scenes could have used a little work, and I never got to see a Toyohime vs Yukari fight or the full Reimu vs Yorohime fight.

Drake

Hieda no Aya

• I see you remodeled.
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 06:06:35 PM »
Kind of off topic, but I suppose I should get around to reading the fairies at some point, seeing how they're the only official doujin that I haven't read at all yet... Is it worth reading?

Well, it's very much slice of life. The majority of it is either the three fairies hanging out or Reimu and Marisa hanging out doing nothing; guest stars happen, but they're the exception, and the little storylines don't always have a resolution, nor will they ever get epic. Personally, I like it a lot now, but it did take me a while to get into, and I do think the earlier chapters are in general less interesting. I also had to go out of my way to cultivate an interest in the three fairies individually instead of just regarding them as a single unit, which naturally made their parts much more entertaining. Reimu and Marisa hanging out doing nothing is all to the good in my book, anyway.

Oh yeah, and as for SSiB -- the scanslations are halted for now, but most of the rest does have scans and text translations on voile somewhere, if you just want to read. (Except the last chapter hasn't been translated somehow.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:13:32 PM by Hieda no Aya »

mark2000

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 10:22:54 PM »
Well, it's very much slice of life.

The funny thing I find about any touhou story ZUN makes is that they always have a slice-of-life feel to them. Even SSiB which has a fully progressive story line still flows like a slice-of-life IMO. I'm not entirely sure how he pulls it off though. Maybe it's because every character has a carefree attitude to some extent or maybe because everyone has a tendency to shrug off a major event at the drop of a hat like they were nothing. Honestly, if a dialogue resembles something along the lines as "Yeah! I've beaten the gods and saved the world!....................I'm hungry. Wanna eat?", I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a Touhou story.

I'm not saying it's bad though. I personally love the slice-of-life genre. Besides, fantasy stories as laid back as this one are hard to find. XD

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

Drake

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2009, 02:53:46 AM »
it says tvtropes in the link i don't think i need to

Hououin Kyouma

• KEEP YA GUNS ON!
  • ARE YOU READY, GUYS!?
    • When Posters Cry
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2009, 03:01:06 AM »
The website is extremely addictive once you stay in you can never get out  :V
"DUMBASS!" "I'd hit it" "Bear-sona~!" "Critical hits to the nads!" "What you're really asking is... "Will you please beat the **** out of me, Kanji?" "...I Gotta pee." ''Everydays great at your Junes~'' "You calling me a loser?"

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2009, 04:03:51 AM »
Aki Eda got one of her serialized manga converted into an anime...well good for her but hoping a good circle will make another good touhou anime  :-X