Author Topic: Ask A Staffer Final Round - The Askening: Tengukami  (Read 64486 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Ask A Staffer Final Round - The Askening: Tengukami
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:50:17 AM »

Welp, this is the final Ask A Staffer thread. It's been a wild ride.

So let's go out gloriously. Ask anything at all, literally any and all serious questions will be answered.

Fire when ready.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Jana

• mrgrgr
Re: Ask A Staffer Final Round - The Askening: Tengukami
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 02:50:54 AM »
Thoughts on Fallout 3?

Did you get to play with the Homura mod? :>

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 02:55:35 AM »
Why is the Scandinavia region so goddamn awesome?
There was something here once. Wonder what...

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 03:02:53 AM »
Favorite kinds of music?

What is the most important thing in life?

What is the most efficient way to keep on top of current world events?

What are some of the things that influenced your career choice?

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 03:08:02 AM »
So what got you into Touhou?

Are you ever worried about being seen as unprofessional because of your interest in anime?

...what happens if we get new staffers after Ask-A-Staffer ends?

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:20:10 AM »
If you could relive any of the eras of history you have lived, which would it be?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Tengukami

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 03:35:51 AM »
Thoughts on Fallout 3?

Loved it, loved it, loved it. I tried a lot of different types of runs, and my favorite remains just picking a compass direction from a location and waking until I find something. I have half the locations mapped, and have picked up items pertaining to quests I haven't even begun yet. It's just great, sprawling fun. And it keeps me off the streets!

Did you get to play with the Homura mod? :>

NO?! But I want to based solely on the name.

Why is the Scandinavia region so goddamn awesome?

Scandos have this general "I'll mind my own business if you mind yours" mentality that permeates through every aspect of society, which leads to a generally liberal attitude about things such as religion, sex, drug use and so forth. And the one thing all Scandinavian/Nordic countries have in common is a strong social welfare system; the belief that we're responsible for each other. I'd say that sets them apart from most of Europe.

Favorite kinds of music?

Anything that makes me feel something. I love all kinds of music, so long as it touches me in some way, whether through laughter, joy, or rage. And sometimes I just want a sick beat, and that leaves a lot of room open.

What is the most important thing in life?

Gratitude, probably. An avid appreciation for what you have can make you feel very fortunate, humble, and more willing to help others who aren't as well off. That, and to accept yourself for who you are, part of which entails assuming responsibility for your life. From here, anything is possible.

What is the most efficient way to keep on top of current world events?

Wire services, in particular their RSS feeds. Most browsers have extensions that will load RSS feeds from websites, and the big three news wires all have them.
AP
Reuters
AFP

RSS feeds from these sites are also good for bringing you the top stories. If there's a subject that interests you in particular (e.g., finance, the Middle east, technology), you can just pick up the RSS feeds from those pages, too.

Or you can just visit the sites themselves when you like. But these three wire services are the ones that do the boots-on-the-ground reporting that your local made-for-TV Colgate smile anchorman reads out every evening. This way, you get the raw news without the spin.

What are some of the things that influenced your career choice?

I always liked writing, and when I was 13 we took this test called a CAT (Career Aptitude Test), where you answer a bunch of weird psychoanalytic questions, and receive a result that tells you what your ideal career would be. I don't know if they still have these. My top career pick was "journalist", and I kinda dismissed it until 2003, when I picked up a copy of the magazine I now work for, submitted an article, and got things started from there.

So what got you into Touhou?

Desuchan. Someone had posted a Rozen Maiden version of Marisa Stole the Precious Thing there, which got me interested in IOSYS, which led me to looking for lyrics translations, which led me to the Touhou wiki. There, I was sort of taken aback by all the detail and attention that a single dude had put into a shooter game. Mountain of Faith had just come out, so I tried that, and fell in love.

Are you ever worried about being seen as unprofessional because of your interest in anime?

Not really. Everyone I work with went from being sort of bemused by my interest in anime, to making a few light-hearted jokes, to asking for title recommendations. I think if you act like it's not a big deal, most people will take it that way, too.

...what happens if we get new staffers after Ask-A-Staffer ends?

The universe collapses under the weight of its own mass until the matter itself is crushed, releasing a powerful blast of energy that creates a new universe. And there's Combos.

If you could relive any of the eras of history you have lived, which would it be?

Man, so many possibilities. In France during the Enlightenment would have been entertaining, as would colonial America, Australia before it was found by Europeans, postwar Europe, 1950s America, and Japan during the student uprisings of the late 1960s.

But I really like the time I'm living in now. I didn't use to, to be honest, but I think my small corner of the world has become a better place to live in for me over the years.

Oh, that I have lived? I would like to re-experience the 70s as an adult. Those were surprisingly interesting times, but I wasn't old enough to appreciate them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:42:09 AM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

noodles

• No
  • Don't
    • tumblr
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 08:30:13 AM »
Didn't you already do one of these  >:(

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 08:32:36 AM »
You again?

Tengukami

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 08:44:10 AM »

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 10:39:41 AM »
How's the weather?

Does it feel like we've been doing this for half a year now?

What's your greatest fear?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Grand Octopus

• is approaching fast
  • onegai Zeppy-san
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 11:57:48 AM »
Panties, stockings or garterbelts?

Why haven't you finished watching Bakemonogatari yet?

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 03:25:48 PM »
How does it feel that your life is Usagi Drop?

Tengukami

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 03:30:55 PM »
How's the weather?

Sunny and warm (warm for here, anyway, or about 15?C), with a cool breeze.

Does it feel like we've been doing this for half a year now?

Feels like a year to me, actually.

What's your greatest fear?

Dying alone. And I don't just mean in the sense of having no partner; I mean without any friends or family. It's a totally irrational fear but whenever I imagine it, the prospect genuinely frightens me.

Panties, stockings or garterbelts?

A toss-up between panties and garterbelts, with the former barely edging out the latter.

Why haven't you finished watching Bakemonogatari yet?

I don't know! Maybe because there's a lot of stuff currently airing that I'm watching. Also, the pacing of Bakemonogatari has put me to sleep on occasion. I like it, don't get me wrong. I just need to be really, really wide awake to watch it.

How does it feel that your life is Usagi Drop?

I didn't even get through the first episode of that series because it creeped me the fuck out.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 04:06:13 PM »
What would be the picture that would crown your life?

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 04:09:15 PM »
What do you consider your greatest achievement in life so far? Similarly, what do you consider your greatest failure?

If you could punch one person currently living on the planet in the face right now, who would it be?
Similarly, if you could give one person currently living on the planet a hug right now, who would it be?
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 04:11:27 PM »
How prominent is mead up there?

Thata no Guykoro

• I ran out of good lines a while ago
  • It alllll makes sense now
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 07:20:18 PM »
Why is Aya your favorite Touhou character? :V

Solais

• Developer fairy
  • is working for a game developer now.
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »
I didn't even get through the first episode of that series because it creeped me the fuck out.

Whaaaaaaat. How can such a beautiful series creep you out?

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 11:46:16 PM »
Who's your Momi?

Who's your Hatate?

Where do you see yourself thirty years from now?

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 01:40:04 AM »
What do you consider your personalest failings?

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 03:48:20 AM »
You're a journalist - and judging by an earlier answer, I assume it's because you like writing?
Would you recommend journalism for any up-and-coming writing aficionados?

You're a Time Lord, as evidenced by the wide range of ages that you appear in in many of your latest photos. Where do you park your TARDIS? Is the Chameleon Circuit still active, and that's why no one has found it yet?

Favorite thing about being a dad?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 03:07:59 PM »
Who have you punched in the dick lately?

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
What are your fondest memories of the 70's/80's/90's?

What do you think of me wanting to be a library professional?

How would you feel if I told you that you reminded me of one of my IRL friends?

Tengukami

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »
What would be the picture that would crown your life?

My daughter. Best thing I ever did with my life.

What do you consider your greatest achievement in life so far? Similarly, what do you consider your greatest failure?

Moving to another country, learning the language, and building a career. I don't think being a father is an "achievement" per se, as it takes very little effort to actually become one. Being a good father, on the hand, that takes work.

My biggest failure would probably be my own carelessness bringing about the end of my marriage. I try to console myself by reminding myself that we got married for all the wrong reasons, in the wrong circumstances, and were pretty much living like room-mates in the last year we were together. Still, a failure nonetheless.

If you could punch one person currently living on the planet in the face right now, who would it be?
Similarly, if you could give one person currently living on the planet a hug right now, who would it be?

Haven't actually given much thought to who I would want to physically assault. I don't know what good it would do. But as far as hugs go, it would probably be my grandfather. He's pretty much at death's door, and has fought every step of the way.

How prominent is mead up there?

Sadly, not prominent at all. Icelanders like beer, primarily. Although there's this horrible concoction called Topas that is black licorice flavored vodka. Nastiest shit on the planet.

Why is Aya your favorite Touhou character? :V

Apart from also being a journalist, Aya is curious, gregarious, and "enhances the truth". She is at once mythological and modern. She has provided us with a great deal of what we know about Gensokyo. In many ways, she is Gensokyo.

Whaaaaaaat. How can such a beautiful series creep you out?

I don't know! There were just moments when my pedo alarms went off and I just found it unbearable. I recognize this is probably closed-mindedness on my part, but there it is.

Who's your Momi?

Who's your Hatate?

Where do you see yourself thirty years from now?

There are two interns at my office who are my Momiji and my Hatate. I'll sure miss them when summer's over.

30 years from now I'll be 70. So, most likely I'll be dancing shirtless on tables to "I Like To Move It" and chugging tequila like it's water in some seedy Mexican cantina. God willing.

What do you consider your personalest failings?

See above re: divorce.

Man, why do you people wanna know about my failures so much?

You're a journalist - and judging by an earlier answer, I assume it's because you like writing?
Would you recommend journalism for any up-and-coming writing aficionados?

Yes, I would. Journalism is a noble profession. Your job is to create reality. You bring to light information and truth that was previously unknown, thereby expanding the map of the known world and the human body of knowledge. If you get into it for those reasons, more power to you. If you're a narcissistic peacock who just wants to crow their personal opinions all day, well, I'm sure there's a slot on Fox with your name on it.

You're a Time Lord, as evidenced by the wide range of ages that you appear in in many of your latest photos. Where do you park your TARDIS? Is the Chameleon Circuit still active, and that's why no one has found it yet?

I have never watched a complete episode of any Doctor Who.

Favorite thing about being a dad?

Seeing her learn how to do something on her own, thanks to my guidance. There's nothing like it.

Who have you punched in the dick lately?

Vic Morrow.

What are your fondest memories of the 70's/80's/90's?

70s: Bell bottoms, punk rock, feathered hair, disco on the radio, Jimmy Carter.
80s: Pop music was actually pretty good in this decade. And the fashion, my goodness ... so many shoulder pads.
90s: I dunno, leaving America? Fuck the 90s.

What do you think of me wanting to be a library professional?

If that's what you've dreamed of doing, and that's your passion, then congratulations - you've achieved what damn few people ever will.

How would you feel if I told you that you reminded me of one of my IRL friends?

I guess it depends on what this friend is known for. If he's an all-around stand-up guy, then great. If he drinks paint thinner and snorts live ants, even better.

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:57 PM »
What's the wildest party you've ever been to?

Ever tried wearing Tengu geta?

When 12/12/12 comes, are you going to pull up a lawn chair with me and watch everyone panic like a bunch of babies over nothing?

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 10:30:19 PM »
What do you like the most about the Touhou fandom? What do you dislike the most?

What are your views on the field of psychology? How about psychiatry?

Have you introduced your daughter to Touhou?

Tengukami

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 12:14:36 AM »
What's the wildest party you've ever been to?

A friend of mine once put together a party that involved [NSFW follows]
Spoiler:
a pretty sizeable collection of hallucinogens. We were all single, guys and girls, and although few people took part in the hallucinogens, just about everyone took part in the group sex
. It went on for about 40 hours, and was a helluva lotta fun, but would probably give me a heart attack if I rolled into a party like that these days.

Ever tried wearing Tengu geta?

No, but it's on my list of footwear from around the world to try. Would also enjoy hobnail boots.

When 12/12/12 comes, are you going to pull up a lawn chair with me and watch everyone panic like a bunch of babies over nothing?

With pleasure. It'll be like Y2K all over again!

What do you like the most about the Touhou fandom? What do you dislike the most?

I love seeing kids get all giddy and excited about this series. For real, this is why browsing TARC puts a smile on my face. I also love how, thanks to ZUN's rather lax policy on fanworks, there has been a plethora of creative works, from art to music to writing to other games. That the fans show their devotion through creativity is really heartwarming.

What I dislike most is the sense of entitlement that a few fans can show. Stuff like "this next game BETTER be a regular shooter/have Mima/use a scoring system I approve of" or whatever. Sorry, fellas - ZUN is one man, and he makes doujin games. That means he makes them the way he wants them. Considering pretty much none of these people bitching are even paying for the game makes the sense of ZUN owing them something all the more baffling.

What are your views on the field of psychology? How about psychiatry?

Psychology and psychiatry are complimentary, I think. Psychiatry seems to be the attempt to prove that mind science is "hard" science, like math or physics or chemistry. To me, science is science - there is no hard or soft science. Psychology I like because it's more flexible, more willing to branch into new areas and try new things. Psychiatry tests these ideas, thankfully, and has given humanity some amazing breakthroughs in how we understand ourselves, our societies, and how to treat our mental illnesses. If psychology is the trailblazer, psychiatry is the diligent road workers who straightens and evens the path behind the pioneer.

Have you introduced your daughter to Touhou?

My daughter gets bored silly watching me play, but she loves the fan videos. Especially Marisa Stole the Precious Thing; she can do the "hi ku mi" part pretty well!

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 03:56:30 AM »
ZUN's original compositions. What do you think of them ?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 05:13:39 AM »
How much internet wackiness have you exposed Ammy Jr. to? Related to that, have you had a Leekspin/Nyancat endurance match?