Author Topic: An Iced Fairy's Frolic - A Story in RPG Form  (Read 18597 times)

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
An Iced Fairy's Frolic - A Story in RPG Form
« on: April 29, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »

Good day, internet! I come to you today bearing a bizarre yet wonderful gift!

Some of you may be aware that I was down in London this weekend for a job interview. I had a lot of downtime and an internet connection that was dotty at best, so I decided to make the most of the time by putting together a little project in RPG Maker. This is the result - a little PSL story in an unusual format, which should hopefully interest and entertain. Starring our very own Iced Fairy!

This game does contain minor spoilers for my big series Dolphin Rider Koishi, though this consists mainly of the identities of the first four Sirens. This shouldn't apply to many people, since I figure everyone who's interested in DRK would have read it by now and everyone who isn't won't be upset by this. :V

The game itself can be found here. In order to run it you'll also need the RPG Maker VX Ace Runtime Package, which can be downloaded for free here.

Hope this little experiment manages to bring about some smiles. :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:24:12 PM by Gregorou Housekanken »

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
Re: An Iced Fairy's Frolic - A Story in RPG Form
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 08:23:38 PM »
I must say, that was both fun and amusing!

I'd love to see something like this again.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:28:13 PM »
I'm quite intrigued by this concept. I will unfortunately have to wait a bit before I can try it out, as I'm currently drowning in finals.
Still, I'm surprised you can get around with RPG Maker, Rou. Have you done this more often?

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 04:53:09 AM »
I have to say, this was rather fun to run around in. The story was cute, and the fights were fun, minus the part where every boss fight's strategy wound up being the same.  I kinda liked
Spoiler:
Mysterious Jack's
gimmick though.  Reminded me of something from a certain well-known doujin game.  Only fight I lost was the one against
Spoiler:
Dolphin Rider Koishi
and that was simply due to having been silly and using up all my Machinas before then.  Once Iced fell it was all over, doubly so once I only had one party member since it was literally impossible to win.

All in all, 5/5, would play another such thing.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 07:44:32 PM »
Still, I'm surprised you can get around with RPG Maker, Rou. Have you done this more often?
Not really, but considering I am majoring in programming I found it relatively easy to work with. :P

If I ever make another one of these I'll try to make the boss fights more diverse. I was happy with the boss gimmicks but JQ's right in that all the fights boiled down to the same strat. Something to consider, I guess.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »
Yeah ... it also felt like the recovery items I had by level 9 and 10 weren't strong enough to be useful. Of course, it was a really short game, but still.

Also there needed some kind of instant-recover-HP-and-MP before bossfights. It also felt kinda wonky that there were no enemies between the penultimate boss and the final boss, even though the latter was in an entirely new area, but I guess I was moderately overlevelled anyway.

Kurzov

• All good things must come to an end sometime.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »
Download is not accessible.
"Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, my friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?"
~ Genesis (Undertow, 1978)