Author Topic: [Challenge]This is where I make my stand  (Read 53026 times)

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
Re: [Challenge] IT BEGINS. BOOKIE REQUIRED. INNOCENT KEY IS AWSM!
« Reply #570 on: December 05, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »
Um, I'm not sure if I'm doing this because EoSF cracks me up every time, but

##Vote: .bmp

Theo :<
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #571 on: December 05, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »
Y'all should vote Bitmap. Not because it was better, but to ensure there's a lightning round and thereby giving them a chance to doge the flush.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #572 on: December 05, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »
As for the third part, as promised, I would open the floor to the majority! Comment freely, and in 24 hours, I shall post the proper judgments, and we'll see if we have a winner, or if this goes to the Lightning Round!

Bitmap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_YUqo3aA1s
Theorist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_HpUnReeM4
And now a review by TsundereWorks,

Bitmap
Using a video by Kefit, whose timeless rage has rung in our ears for much time, has only made minor alterations to the source video. Bitmap has taken two tracks along with a sound effect and edited them into the video and called it a day.

The video is a failed replay of EoSD's Stage 6, but setting it apart from other gameplay videos of a similar nature is the player's frustration and anger. In the end, Kefit gives a yell of defeat, and whines like a little bitch.

So what has Bitmap done? In the first half of the video, Bitmap has overlayed the original audio track with a song from Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure. I never heard this before, so I thought it was very well-composed, and I liked it. This first half kept me from closing the tab, but then again, I have to see through these two videos (no matter how boring) so that I could write my opinion about them later on.

In the video, the original theme music is even more drowned out. At some points, the inserted theme is actually higher than Kefit's voice on the mic.

During the second half, Bitmap inserts another track. (I can't remember the name, but everyone who uses the Internet has probably heard it at least once.) My impression of the video changed from promising to clich?d. I must admit, though, the chance in music matched the humorous theme of the video, and better focused on Kefit's voice. The first theme drew my attention to the stage and to Remilia herself, for the theme suggested an evil, ingenious plan to me.

Towards the end, when Kefit is defeated, the video is rudely halted by a Super Mario sound effect that we all know very well. First, you are defeated, second, you game over'd at Touhou. I did feel that there should have been a clear pause between the two sounds to create emphasis.

The minor details: The video is grainy and in low resolution. Although this can't be remedied, it's there. Bitmap has lowered the volume of Kefit's voice at some parts of the video, so I am grateful for that.

Conclusion: Bitmap has taken a video of an elite Touhou gamer playing the final stage of EoSD and failing towards the end because his friend (though probably not his friend anymore) ruined his concentration countless times. Maybe he was just so focused on winning that he didn't pay attention? Don't know, but it doesn't matter.

Bitmap added two tracks to the video, and a sound effect at the end. Although it meets the requirements, I was expecting much more from him since the start.

There is no creativity in this video, it is completely unoriginal and it's nothing new to what I've already seen. I do praise you for not messing it up, since some sorts do tend to try too hard, but still...It's far from what I've been expecting from an IM submission.

Next!

Theorist
Using a gameplay video of a player fighting against Hijiri Byakuren, Moerin attempts to highlight Byakuren's character and belittle the player's efforts at the same time by inserting Superman's theme song. The video itself is very boring, since it's something that most Touhou players have probably seen already.  :derp:

Well, there you have it! The Superman-esque theme of the video derives from nothing more than a wordplay of Byakuren's spell card.

Kind of ironic, though. The player is fighting against Byakuren, who is supposed to be great and powerful like Superman, but she's getting creamed by the player!

Although the player isn't shooting, he is overconfident and is instead timing out her spell card, dodging everything like a pro. Byakuren is not scoring any hits, and she is losing time. What part of this is like Superman? Like I have said before, the idea from this video comes from nothing more than a use of casual wordplay.

At the end, we are greeted by an illustration of Byakuren, in a Superman costume.

The minor details:
Black borders all around the video. This is usually caused by letterboxing inside of the video editor, submitting into Youtube, and because Youtube thinks the video is out of proportion, will then add more letterboxing to the video so that it can fit inside the aspect ratio of the player. The result: we have four rectangle around the video.

Also, the final product is devoid of all original sound effects and music. I thought the rules were to at least keep the sound effects intact.

Other than that, it is a clean job.

Conclusion:
The concept is too simplistic to be effective, but that's not the worst thing. The video demonstrates exactly the opposite of what the audio is implying.

Maybe your intention was to be ironic, but it would be too subtle for anyone to notice anyway. When you consider all these factors, you have a poor result that should hardly qualify as an IM submission.

==================================================
Final Decision:

Both seem like last minute ideas produced in very short time. The video doesn't even feature gameplay of the contestants, rather using an outside source and editing it instead. I would have graded a submission much higher if the video were actually a recording of the contestants playing in Lunatic.

I will have to give my vote to Bitmap for at least trying to be funny, although the quality and level of work isn't so much different than Moerin's.

##Bitmap

A word to Bitmap:
If you manage to get into the final round, give it your all! Same goes for Moerin! I honestly thought that your first and second challenges were much more appealing and creative than this one, but I see that you two have potential.

Just put more time into it and carefully plan out what you are doing, I know you two can do it!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:03:00 PM by Lycoris❖ »

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #573 on: December 05, 2010, 10:14:50 PM »
Meh, Bitmap had syncing at the start of the video. I am a sucker for musical syncing. Moerin's just fell flat for me.

##Vote: Bitmap

(Really, both killed and mangled would be appropriate. You cut in Yakety Sax in a really odd place)

« Reply #574 on: December 05, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »
##vote: Moerin.
Why not.

As a bonus, once all entries are in, I shall post them, and let the forum assist me with the judging! Assist, of course, as I have no problem overriding you all if you happen to make wrong choices or decide to make it a popularity contest.

Iryan

• Ph?nglui mglw?nafh
  • Cat R?lyeh wgah?nagl fhtagn.
« Reply #575 on: December 05, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »

Chill. It is not like Sercan's vote has any relevance in the first place.  :V

*shot*
Old Danmakufu stuff can be found here!

"As the size of an explosion increases, the numbers of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #576 on: December 05, 2010, 10:39:46 PM »
Yeah, um, I really don't deserve to win this round at all.  I spent the past few days trying to think of something fun and witty to enter, but not only did my mind go pretty much blank in that area, I found out that I'm actually really really bad with video software.  So I ended up entering my one test video I made to check if I could actually get the software to work in the first place.  I was actually planning to forfeit until I realized that crap is better than nothing.

So... Yeah.

The video doesn't even feature gameplay of the contestants, rather using an outside source and editing it instead. I would have graded a submission much higher if the video were actually a recording of the contestants playing in Lunatic.
In retrospect, I could've just recorded myself playing Lunatic and tried to synch it up to Surprise, You're Dead!.  I'll let everyone figure out why themselves. :ohdear:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:44:03 PM by Moerin »
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

« Reply #577 on: December 05, 2010, 10:43:06 PM »
Hey, at least I motivated you somewhat to post it. What's shit to you may be gold to other people and vise versa. At least you tried my friend.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #578 on: December 05, 2010, 10:44:05 PM »
Just open Fraps and record your gameplay with Music off. Then overlay it with music and/or commentary you like.

That would have easily made the round.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #579 on: December 05, 2010, 10:44:53 PM »
Fraps ain't free.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #580 on: December 05, 2010, 10:45:24 PM »
Hey, at least I motivated you somewhat to post it.
That was your strategy all along RIGHT? I FUCKING KNEW IT

Fraps ain't free.
There's a trial period.
                                                                                   .

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #581 on: December 05, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
Bitmap: I wouldn't point out that it's breaking down to a popularity contest. I'd trust Purvis to recognize it. If you point it out it looks like whining, which doesn't help your chances.

« Reply #582 on: December 05, 2010, 10:48:05 PM »
Fraps ain't free.

Depends where you obtain goods.

Anyways, Purvis said he was against your own commentary for the most part. Else, I would of narrate my horror in Lunatic mode.

@UK: Honestly, I thought my submission was crap anyways. I suck with the video editing programs. And yes, I do apologize for that last post of mine.

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #583 on: December 05, 2010, 10:49:50 PM »
Depends where you obtain goods.
Be careful with your words.
                                                                                   .

« Reply #584 on: December 05, 2010, 10:51:37 PM »
Be careful with your words.

By clicking ads and doing surveys to earn a free fraps program maybe.  :3

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #585 on: December 05, 2010, 10:57:28 PM »
Well maybe :3
                                                                                   .

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #586 on: December 05, 2010, 11:06:03 PM »
Y'all should vote Bitmap. Not because it was better, but to ensure there's a lightning round and thereby giving them a chance to doge the flush.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Contest
« Reply #587 on: December 06, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »
Going to buck Pesco's to-be-expected plea that we all vote a certain way just to stir shit up and instead vote my conscious. I think Moerin barely squeeked by here, on sheer originality.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

三重階乗

• NOT an avatar of a higher-up.
  • Who is this "Dragon," anyway?
« Reply #588 on: December 06, 2010, 12:35:28 AM »
I expect the flush to happen as soon as this contest is over either way. Seeing as both videos have their flaws we'll likely have another BKaM, giving Moerin the victory (with a win and 2 draws) and the admins their cue to flush CPMC.

« Reply #589 on: December 06, 2010, 12:40:17 AM »
Moerin's was just boring for me. Oooooo, Byakuren doing her spell with music. I'm still waiting to see something happen....Still waiting......Those borders were an eyesore.

Bitmap's was funny with his music. And a humorous sound effect at the end earns him my vote.

##Vote: Bitmap

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #590 on: December 06, 2010, 01:29:23 AM »
I know I said I was going to submit a video. But because I'm not applying for IM, and because Purvis isn't personally judging these things, I think it's okay if I put my link up later...

The deadline's over, but I just want to show you guys what I was thinking.

Also, I forgot a lot of the patterns, but I'm surprised to find out that my skill level hasn't dropped dramatically. =]
Still, I can't do Lunatic like I used to, so I'm just going to dig up my old replays and put together the first three stages of SA, no deaths.

Kerigis

• *Gnaws Donut*
  • Bow down before the true administrator!
« Reply #591 on: December 06, 2010, 07:46:45 AM »
Keri-judging time!

----
*gnaws Moerin's video*

It made me giggle the end a little, although the rest of the video the reference doesn't fit in quite well... it's a little bit simple.

...and I prefer the other Superman fanfare. It would've been better with a little more edits and that particular John Williams fanfare. Sowwy. :<

----
*gnaws Bitmap's video*

Oooh, good ol' EoSF.
I know that part of the fun comes from the Kefit-Moogy shenanigans that are part of the original. However, even without it, it would've been fun to watch!
Still a little bit simple, though...

----
Keri-conclusion:
Both are well... quite simple. I agree with Pesco: I demand the tie-breaker round.
And Bitmap's made me giggle more, especially with the ending.
Sorry, Moerin-sama ;_;
##Bitmap

Powerup punchin'!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #592 on: December 06, 2010, 01:36:41 PM »
because Purvis isn't personally judging these things, I think it's okay if I put my link up later...

Oh, I never said that. I was simply allowing for others to render their opinions and perhaps point out things I had not noticed.

The winner of the video editing round is: BITMAP!

Whyfor? Theorist's idea was good, but the execution was lacking. The player surviving also countermanded the theme. Bitmap's work was not especially creative, but well implemented. The musics complimented what was going on nicely. Well done.

This means: LIGHTNING ROUND! The lighting round is when I pull a challenge straight out of my booty! And today's challenge is: A scavenger hunt!

I will name a few prompts. Your task is to find pictures of as many of these things as possible and post them up here. I will judge them on how well they match the prompt and how well they please me. You may make one entry per prompt; and you will post them here. You may edit your entry if you find a better one. You have until 9 PM Tuesday, EST.

Be sure to upload the pictures into your own space and display them here, adhering to standard image rules. You may use NSFW stuff, tag it appropriately. You may use your own works, if applicable, but only if they are dated before this challenge was issued. The onus of proving it lies on you.

VIEWERS AT HOME!

You can play interference! You too may participate, and post pictures. If you post something before they do, then neither Theorist nor Bitmap may use it! You may only make one entry per prompt, and you may NOT edit it once it is put up. Should I see your post has been edited, you will be unfunnied for awhile. How long is awhile? My whims!

THE PROMPTS ARE!

-Rumia (not EX Rumia) defeating any character first introduced in Mountain of Faith
-Suika enjoying a nice iced tea
-Utsuho on a dirtbike.
-Letty Whiterock and Lily White making out
-Any Touhou character using violence against a computer.
-Reimu running a game of three-card monte.
-EX Tokiko
-Any PC-98-only character on fire
-Any Touhou character driving or using a crane.
-Kanako underwater
-Shou asleep and half falling off a bed.
-Sakuya arm wrestling anyone.

Go!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:55:06 PM by It's Purvis! »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #593 on: December 06, 2010, 01:40:35 PM »
These are most excellent prompts.

Moerin

« Reply #594 on: December 06, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
The rabbit speaks true.  This should be... Interesting~

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

« Reply #595 on: December 06, 2010, 02:07:01 PM »
[attach=1]

Mwahaha. I have no idea how common this picture is, but I'm using it so you can't.
 :P

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
« Reply #596 on: December 06, 2010, 02:08:09 PM »
Ahahaha oh bby

This is the best round
                                                                                   .

« Reply #597 on: December 06, 2010, 02:11:11 PM »
[nsfw][attach=1][nsfw]

This is Yuka on fire. I'm going to take as many of these prompts as I can.
:P

[purvis]Huh...that doesn't actually work, does it?

Also Yuka is not PC-98 only; she was in PoFV.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:00:48 PM by It's Purvis! »

« Reply #598 on: December 06, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »
Dangit, why didn't they work.
And I can't modify it.

Moerin

« Reply #599 on: December 06, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »
-EX Tokiko

...Best I could find, unfortunately...

-Any Touhou character using violence against a computer.

Oh hey another Kaguya.  What're the odds.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥