Author Topic: Aya's Writing Workshop - Bring us your story ideas and outlines!  (Read 248937 times)

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
Re: Aya's Writing Workshop - Bring us your story ideas and outlines!
« Reply #300 on: May 04, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
The external source sounds plausible enough. Without nerfing, basically the only way to win agianst her would be by using underhand tactics, ambushes, backstabs, stealth assasination... etc.  I believe that's probably the way her clan got wiped out, if they possessed the same power as her. And the only reason Reimu didn't get killed in her sleep is due to the fear of the barrier's possible collapse.
Using Yukari as a reason for nerfing Reimu is out of the question due to plot reasons. Speaking of Yukari, she needs to be nerfed too. Very much so.
I've been considering the idea of hostages to keep Reimu's hax at bay, but in the end, I just might go with disabling the source of its power.

« Reply #301 on: May 05, 2013, 05:48:46 PM »
For instance, giving Utsuho the ability to control water

I agree. That's dumb and totally out of the left field.

Then again, I've seen a fic where an author wanks Cirno so hard that she's not just able to use fire, she's actually the strongest being in existence since she's apparently some sort of ancient being or something.

No, that's not a crack fic. That's a completely serious fic.

or making Akyuu give birth to herself

Jesus, that's horrifying. It's like something out of a messed up doujin or something.

, or killing an immortal being.

You either have to nullify the effect of Hourai Elixir, or you use time travel to change history.

By sticking close to canon I meant also using original elements, but such elements that would make actual sense in the canonical setting. Filling the blanks instead of erasing and rewriting canon.

I agree.

Without nerfing, basically the only way to win agianst her would be by using underhand tactics, ambushes, backstabs, stealth assasination... etc.

Funny how I just finished watching From The New World, where
Spoiler:
quite a similar thing happened (guerilla war against overpowered humans that can make you explode just by looking at you)

Speaking of Yukari, she needs to be nerfed too. Very much so.

I also agree with this. We can already see her getting nerfed by ZUN in SSiB.

I've been considering the idea of hostages to keep Reimu's hax at bay, but in the end, I just might go with disabling the source of its power.

So, this is for your fanfic, isn't it?

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #302 on: May 05, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »
Jesus, that's horrifying. It's like something out of a messed up doujin or something.

Actually, that's from IM. I wish I was joking.

We can already see her getting nerfed by ZUN in SSiB.

Yes, at least as far as her gap travelling is concerned. She can only reach the Moon once a month and only by opening a boundary on the surface of the lake. And even then she only reaches the near side of the Moon, which is the exact opposite where the Lunar Capital lies. Likewise, in SWR, it took her several "gaps" to reach Heaven, though that could have been intentional.

As for her battle abilities, we can't really say she was nerfed in SSiB as she did no actual fighting. She could have just been acting inferior as a decoy, so that Yuyuko would have enough time to do her job. And she's been known to lie and deceive on many occasions. Telling a few lies to her shikigami would not surprise me. She also seems to fear/have a great respect for Eiki Shiki, as shown in Seasonal Dream Vision, though that can be interpreted as simply not willing to listen to/argue with her. Even when there are characters more poweful than Yukari, she is smart enough to know who she can and cannot handle. Someone like Remilia or Yuuka, who are so confident about themselves, would probably want to challenge the Watatsukis head on just to see if they're as strong as they say. Another limitation of Yukari's power could be shown in PCB backstory, when instead of sealing off or destroying Saigyou Ayakashi, she uses Yuyuko's body as a seal and send the tree to the Netherworld.
While boundary manipulation would technically allow her to manipulate everything, she is not omnipotent. Therfore, I think that ZUN defined some characters' abilities incorrectly. 

For example if Flandre could really destroy "anything and everything" as her ability is defined, she could destroy, not only objects. She could destroy concepts. Reality, void, she could destroy water, the sun, a meaning of a word, herself, a God, the concept of immortality or time itself. But she can only destroy things that have an "eye" which she can crush. That alone already subtracts quite a lot of things from the "anything and everything" group, meaning the definition is not true.
The same could be said about Yoshika. With a bit of stretch, she could be able to copycat Keine's ability and "eat" history. Or she could consume someone's memory. Or knowledge.  Giving the cheesy zombie line: "Braaaains~" a whole new meaning.
Or Seiga's ability could be extended as being able to pass through the walls of reality. And she'd be able to do the same thing that Reimu can, using a different concept.
A lot of the so called "broken" powers in Touhou have some sort of limitations, and in a world where Spell Card Rules apply, they hold no meaning anyway. And a lot of these powers are not well defined by ZUN.

So, this is for your fanfic, isn't it?

Well, yes. I was under the impression that this thread exists to discuss writing ideas.

« Reply #303 on: May 05, 2013, 07:48:56 PM »

:o

Welp, another reason why I'm not going to waste my time reading that fic. The other one is Yuuka being a fourth wall-breaking Outer God. I mean, what the hell?

But most importantly, I just don't find it interesting enough to continue reading beyond 6 chapters or so. It's like reading a trainwreck (everything's going to shit), only instead of hilarious it's more disturbing than anything.

So yeah.

Yes, at least as far as her gap travelling is concerned. She can only reach the Moon once a month and only by opening a boundary on the surface of the lake. And even then she only reaches the near side of the Moon, which is the exact opposite where the Lunar Capital lies. Likewise, in SWR, it took her several "gaps" to reach Heaven, though that could have been intentional.

As for her battle abilities, we can't really say she was nerfed in SSiB as she did no actual fighting. She could have just been acting inferior as a decoy, so that Yuyuko would have enough time to do her job. And she's been known to lie and deceive on many occasions. Telling a few lies to her shikigami would not surprise me. She also seems to fear/have a great respect for Eiki Shiki, as shown in Seasonal Dream Vision, though that can be interpreted as simply not willing to listen to/argue with her. Even when there are characters more poweful than Yukari, she is smart enough to know who she can and cannot handle. Someone like Remilia or Yuuka, who are so confident about themselves, would probably want to challenge the Watatsukis head on just to see if they're as strong as they say. Another limitation of Yukari's power could be shown in PCB backstory, when instead of sealing off or destroying Saigyou Ayakashi, she uses Yuyuko's body as a seal and send the tree to the Netherworld.
While boundary manipulation would technically allow her to manipulate everything, she is not omnipotent. Therfore, I think that ZUN defined some characters' abilities incorrectly.

For example if Flandre could really destroy "anything and everything" as her ability is defined, she could destroy, not only objects. She could destroy concepts. Reality, void, she could destroy water, the sun, a meaning of a word, herself, a God, the concept of immortality or time itself. But she can only destroy things that have an "eye" which she can crush. That alone already subtracts quite a lot of things from the "anything and everything" group, meaning the definition is not true.
The same could be said about Yoshika. With a bit of stretch, she could be able to copycat Keine's ability and "eat" history. Or she could consume someone's memory. Or knowledge.  Giving the cheesy zombie line: "Braaaains~" a whole new meaning.
Or Seiga's ability could be extended as being able to pass through the walls of reality. And she'd be able to do the same thing that Reimu can, using a different concept.
A lot of the so called "broken" powers in Touhou have some sort of limitations, and in a world where Spell Card Rules apply, they hold no meaning anyway. And a lot of these powers are not well defined by ZUN.

Hmm, no objections here.

Well, yes. I was under the impression that this thread exists to discuss writing ideas.

I mean, is it for your ongoing fic or for a new, not-yet-written one?

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #304 on: May 05, 2013, 08:42:03 PM »

Wait, you mean Imperfect Metamorphosis? D:

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #305 on: May 05, 2013, 09:00:33 PM »
I mean, is it for your ongoing fic or for a new, not-yet-written one?

In that case, my bad for misunderstanding. Yes, it's for an ongoing fic.

@Wild Witchy West
Yes.

Joveus Molai

• Bear the Word, and the Word will bear you.
« Reply #306 on: May 05, 2013, 09:51:25 PM »
@Wild Witchy West
Yes.

I read it up until it posited that Yuuka was some sort of all-powerful Elder God that made Yukari look like a helpless baby.

That said, I did find the author's Youmu-Yuyuko dynamic to be pretty amusing.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #307 on: May 06, 2013, 09:14:16 AM »
The other one is Yuuka being a fourth wall-breaking Outer God. I mean, what the hell?

The 4th wall breaking Yuuka actually does have some canonical foundation, depending on whether or not one consideres Mystic Square as part of the canon. Namely her bad ending where she addresses you - the player. Asking you to choose her again next time when you're in a better condition.
http://touhouendings.wikkii.com/wiki/Main_Page   this website is basically doing what ZUN always asked his fans not to do, but for those who can't read/speak Japanese and can't or don't want to bother clearing the games just so they could know their full story, it's incredibly useful.

As for IM's Yuuka being something you'd expect from a Lovecraftian mythos, I'll only say that it's... well, quite bold and original move. I guess that's what makes the author so special. Unlike me, he is not afraid to reforge canon into his desired shape. even if it means violating it. Giant robots in Touhou? Some ask why? He asks why not? Now if you're reading this post by any chance, Taker, know that I don't mean it in any way offensive. But no matter how awesome your work may be, it can never please everyone.
Inversely, no matter how terrible one's fic is, there's always someone who'll at least have a good laugh at it and like it for that reason.

« Reply #308 on: May 06, 2013, 06:57:58 PM »
The 4th wall breaking Yuuka actually does have some canonical foundation, depending on whether or not one consideres Mystic Square as part of the canon. Namely her bad ending where she addresses you - the player. Asking you to choose her again next time when you're in a better condition.

That's a joke. Not to be taken seriously at all.

As for IM's Yuuka being something you'd expect from a Lovecraftian mythos, I'll only say that it's... well, quite bold and original move. I guess that's what makes the author so special. Unlike me, he is not afraid to reforge canon into his desired shape. even if it means violating it. Giant robots in Touhou? Some ask why? He asks why not? Now if you're reading this post by any chance, Taker, know that I don't mean it in any way offensive. But no matter how awesome your work may be, it can never please everyone.
Inversely, no matter how terrible one's fic is, there's always someone who'll at least have a good laugh at it and like it for that reason.

I just don't see the point of making Akyuu give a birth to herself or making Yuuka an Outer God. This is me saying "why?". All things in a story should have a legitimate purpose. If you're bending canon, you better have a damn good reason to do so.

And that doesn't make him special at all. There are thousand authors out there that's never afraid to reforge canon into their own views. And most of them are terrible authors. Case in point: Harry Potter fandom, where we have fics featuring the characters secretly being half-*insert cool mythical creature here*.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #309 on: May 06, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »
I will say that making Yuuka an Outer God was hilariously unintentionally prescient if that chapter was written before Forbidden Scrollery came out.

« Reply #310 on: May 06, 2013, 07:34:49 PM »
I will say that making Yuuka an Outer God was hilariously unintentionally prescient if that chapter was written before Forbidden Scrollery came out.

Oh, you're making a Necronomicon joke.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #311 on: May 06, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
Oh, you're making a Necronomicon joke.

Yeah. :V

That much said, Akyu giving birth to herself is just...Eeyugh. Touhou is mythology and ghost stories, not Prometheus or a Cronenberg film!

Joveus Molai

« Reply #312 on: May 06, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »

I'm more on lightdreamer's side here. I found myself thinking more "Huh?" and "Uh...okay" when it was revealed that Yuuka was an Outer God, and less "OH SHI--" which I strongly suspect was Taker's intention.

In the context of Touhou (and even in the context of Taker's version of Gensokyo), that sort of stuff needs to be handled in a certain way lest people react more with confusion and irritation than what was intended. Randomly inserting Lovecraftian references as a major plot element will need proper explanation and context to work. The Necronomicon example from Forbidden Scrollery works because it's a random, minor one-shot thing that pops up and gives those familiar with Lovecraft a laugh before moving on.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #313 on: May 07, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
I'm more on lightdreamer's side here. I found myself thinking more "Huh?" and "Uh...okay" when it was revealed that Yuuka was an Outer God, and less "OH SHI--" which I strongly suspect was Taker's intention.

*shrug* Just to clear it up, I've never read a single chapter of that fic and all my information about it comes from the second hand - reviews and other writers talking about it. I'm not defending it, nor am I bashing it. But a fact cannot be ignored that it's possibly the most well-known and pupular fanfic in the western Touhou community, if not the whole Touhou community. It would definitely not be the case if its quality was lacking and if its story failed to catch people's interest. But like I already said in my earlier post; no matter what you write and how you write it, you can't satisfy everyone. However, as long as your fans outweigh your haters, then your work had sense and wasn't futile.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #314 on: May 07, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
I personally thought it was way too bleak, dark and violent to work well as a Touhou fic. I find that when fights in Touhou get rid of the spellcard rules entirely they become dull to me.

It had some good IDEAS, but it did not mesh them very well with the setting it had chosen IMHO.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2013, 12:11:02 PM »
I personally thought it was way too bleak, dark and violent to work well as a Touhou fic. I find that when fights in Touhou get rid of the spellcard rules entirely they become dull to me.

Oh, everything has potential to work well as a Touhou fic. It's got all the genres, just like its music remixes. It's just about genre preferrence here. This is just another case of  "you can't satisfy everyone". Grimdark Touhou fics are hardly a novelty and despite not fitting much with the original spirit of light-hearted canon Touhou, they are still popular among the readers. Some people like authors that aren't afraid to kill off a few canon characters to make the plot interesting, others hate them for the same reason.
But like you, I also like my Touhou on the brighter side.

Joveus Molai

« Reply #316 on: May 07, 2013, 12:17:29 PM »
But a fact cannot be ignored that it's possibly the most well-known and pupular fanfic in the western Touhou community, if not the whole Touhou community. It would definitely not be the case if its quality was lacking

Popularity is not a guarantee of quality. Take, for example, works by Dan Brown: that crap is so badly written it's painful. Yet, they were so popular they  managed to get Tom hanks to play as the main character in the film adaptations, and the books regularly hit the Best Sellers list on the New York Times. Unless, of course, you're going to try and argue that Dan Brown IS a good writer, which will make me extremely sad. And don't forget about other works such as Twilight: phenomenally popular, phenomenally bad.

Not to say that Taker is a poor writer, or that IM is necessarily bad...just saying that IM being popular does not guarantee its quality.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #317 on: May 07, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »
@Molai

You may be right, but in this sad world, opinions like that don't really matter that much. The numbers do. And if it's numbers you're aiming for, then you either have to write something epically good or terribly bad.  Or something that sparks up discussions and splits your reader base into two factions, or more. Like another one of my fellow writers from fanfiction.net said: "No author has ever become famous for writing a mediocre work."

And I'm fairly sure Stephenie Meyer doesn't give a damn about what her haters and critics have to say, when she's raking in cash and obsessed fangrils to her side. "Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of money rustling in my pockets!"
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:47:13 PM by Fonzi »

« Reply #318 on: May 07, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »
I find that when fights in Touhou get rid of the spellcard rules entirely they become dull to me.

I dunno. I've yet to read a fanfic that can make a spellcard duel interesting. Usually, it's just "declare this, dodge that" etc. I'd rather just play the actual games for that.

And for a non-spellcard fight, meaning more punching and kicking, there's that fic by Game2011.

The Necronomicon example from Forbidden Scrollery works because it's a random, minor one-shot thing that pops up and gives those familiar with Lovecraft a laugh before moving on.

And yet, somebody out there is taking that seriously. Yep, I'm sure they exist. It's just a matter of time.  :V

« Reply #319 on: May 07, 2013, 07:38:58 PM »
I dunno. I've yet to read a fanfic that can make a spellcard duel interesting. Usually, it's just "declare this, dodge that" etc. I'd rather just play the actual games for that.

I find that it's too difficult to get what's essentially a purely visual effect into words without disturbing the flow in the fight scene.  Too much tunnel vision required. 

And yet, somebody out there is taking that seriously. Yep, I'm sure they exist. It's just a matter of time.  :V
That's low hanging fruit. I'm actually surprised no one's done a Mythos or an Evil Dead/Army of Darkness crossover yet.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #320 on: May 07, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »

And what else are you expecting from a spell card duel anyway? That they suddenly pull out guns out of their bras?
Or a better question: What would in your opinion make a spell card duel interesting?
If it's more punching and kicking, then I might as well say that you can play the Touhou fighting games for that. 

Oh, and hi there, Acha.

« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2013, 08:36:27 PM »
And what else are you expecting from a spell card duel anyway? That they suddenly pull out guns out of their bras?
Or a better question: What would in your opinion make a spell card duel interesting?
If it's more punching and kicking, then I might as well say that you can play the Touhou fighting games for that. 

I'm not expecting anything. That's why I'm not too fond of spellcard battles in written form.

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #322 on: May 08, 2013, 09:50:56 AM »
I'm still curious to know how you'd make a spell card duel interesting. Maybe your fellow authors could learn from it. Or maybe action just isn't your thing and I'll repeat the same thing like a broken record: "you can't satisfy everyone" for the thrid time.

Joveus Molai

« Reply #323 on: May 08, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
I'm still curious to know how you'd make a spell card duel interesting. Maybe your fellow authors could learn from it. Or maybe action just isn't your thing and I'll repeat the same thing like a broken record: "you can't satisfy everyone" for the thrid time.

Hmm, perhaps we could derive some inspiration from sports manga? I happen to find most sports to be terribly uninteresting (just a matter of personal taste, nothing against sports), but some manga, like Ookiku Furikabutte, manage to hold my interest despite baseball games lasting dozens or more chapters. The key to these seem to be...

1) Absolutely making sure the audience is heavily emotionally invested in the characters. This is important for any piece of writing, but it's especially important for sports manga, where not all of your audience might be interested in the nitty-gritty details of the sport.

2) Making each game matter for the characters. Even if it's just an exhibition game, have the game matter a lot to the characters in some way. If step 1 was followed, then things that matter to the characters will probably end up mattering to the audience.

So, applying these to Touhou danmaku battles...

1) Have the audience be emotionally invested in the characters. Duh.

2) Have the danmaku battle really matter. Don't make it just be one of those "Oh if ___ loses it'll just end up being a tea party at the Hakurei Shrine" sort of deal, have the danmaku battle be a huge issue for the character. Maybe it's Marisa trying to prove, once and for all, that she's the best in Gensokyo, and years and years of hard work are riding on the line. Maybe it's up to Reimu to beat this new incident-causer and save Gensokyo. Or maybe it's Chen wanting to prove that she truly is a capable shinigami, worthy of the name of Yakumo. If the danmaku battle is just a one-shot thing that some of the characters are doing for fun, then there's probably no need to devote much text to it.

I can't say I have any ideas for the nitty-gritty details of the danmaku battle itself, but I suspect that once the above two requirements are met, the rest will more easily fall into place.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 11:28:06 AM by Joveus Molai »

« Reply #324 on: May 08, 2013, 06:35:36 PM »
1) Absolutely making sure the audience is heavily emotionally invested in the characters. This is important for any piece of writing, but it's especially important for sports manga, where not all of your audience might be interested in the nitty-gritty details of the sport.

I concur.

But sadly, it's hard to find Touhou fics where that happens. It might be just me,  but most of the time, when something happens to a character, my reaction would be "yeah, whatever". It's also like that with canon by the way.

2) Have the danmaku battle really matter. Don't make it just be one of those "Oh if ___ loses it'll just end up being a tea party at the Hakurei Shrine" sort of deal, have the danmaku battle be a huge issue for the character. Maybe it's Marisa trying to prove, once and for all, that she's the best in Gensokyo, and years and years of hard work are riding on the line. Maybe it's up to Reimu to beat this new incident-causer and save Gensokyo. Or maybe it's Chen wanting to prove that she truly is a capable shinigami, worthy of the name of Yakumo. If the danmaku battle is just a one-shot thing that some of the characters are doing for fun, then there's probably no need to devote much text to it.

I can't say I have any ideas for the nitty-gritty details of the danmaku battle itself, but I suspect that once the above two requirements are met, the rest will more easily fall into place.

And don't forget. The more over-the-top, all "serious business", the better.  :V

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #325 on: May 08, 2013, 07:36:08 PM »
But sadly, it's hard to find Touhou fics where that happens. It might be just me,  but most of the time, when something happens to a character, my reaction would be "yeah, whatever". It's also like that with canon by the way.

It should also be noted that canon mangas have shown very little action as opposed to the games, where the point of every encounter is conflict. So we can't even enjoy much of the thrill from duels even if we wanted to.

« Reply #326 on: May 08, 2013, 07:38:49 PM »
It should also be noted that canon mangas have shown very little action as opposed to the games, where the point of every encounter is conflict. So we can't even enjoy much of the thrill from duels even if we wanted to.

Yeah. It's a shame, but ZUN just doesn't want to take Touhou into that direction.

TakerFoxx

• Compulsive Darkside Fanboy
  • I see you.
« Reply #327 on: May 08, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »
That's a joke. Not to be taken seriously at all.

I just don't see the point of making Akyuu give a birth to herself or making Yuuka an Outer God. This is me saying "why?". All things in a story should have a legitimate purpose. If you're bending canon, you better have a damn good reason to do so.

Actually, I retconned the Akyuu thing out and replaced it with the canonical portrayal, as it was pointed out that she only reincarnates every hundred years or so, which I had overlooked at the time. The reason I did it was because she reminded me of the Archive from the Dresden Files, so I tweaked it as a shout-out, but after the discrepancy was pointed out to me, it just kept bothering me until I gave in and changed it.

As for Yuuka, given the incredibly crazy types of characters that already exist in canon, a moe-ified Lovecraftian monstrosity existing in Gensokyo really wouldn't be out of place.  ;)

Also, yes, it was for plot purposes.
One of these days, I will think of a clever signature.

Today is not that day.

Joveus Molai

« Reply #328 on: May 08, 2013, 10:13:40 PM »

That said, visual media do have a big advantage when it comes to portraying action, in particular danmaku fights. You can compress an action scene into a smaller space, plus you can keep the audience interested with visual spectacles. Text by itself obviously does not have that advantage.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:18:48 PM by Joveus Molai »

« Reply #329 on: May 09, 2013, 10:23:12 AM »
As for Yuuka, given the incredibly crazy types of characters that already exist in canon, a moe-ified Lovecraftian monstrosity existing in Gensokyo really wouldn't be out of place.  ;)

I dunno. It still feels out of place to me.

Then again, I'm not one of those people who like Touhou because it has a bunch of omnipotent playing around and drinking tea. In fact, I'll hate Touhou if that were the case.