Author Topic: The third kanji in Marisa's name means "sand".  (Read 15870 times)

Re: The third kanji in Marisa's name means "sand".
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 01:56:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure Marisa is just a "nipponised" version of the western name. Given she's blonde(often how westerners are depicter) and a western style witch she's probably meant to be half american/european/english and half "oriental".

That's one thing that's weird about Touhou, it sets out to be uber japanese but is filled with western fairy tale type stuff.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 02:08:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure Marisa is just a "nipponised" version of the western name. Given she's blonde(often how westerners are depicter) and a western style witch she's probably meant to be half american/european/english and half "oriental".

That's one thing that's weird about Touhou, it sets out to be uber japanese but is filled with western fairy tale type stuff.

So... does that mean Alice is 亜理州 instead of アリス?

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »
I can't read that, but a name like "Alice Margatroid" is definitely british or european.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 02:14:27 PM »
I think it's just that ZUN really liked blond hair back in PC-98 (when she was created). If you pay attention you'll notice that nearly half the PC-98 cast was blond.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 03:10:47 PM »
I can't read that, but a name like "Alice Margatroid" is definitely british or european.
    * The name Alice is a reference to the main protagonist in Lewis Carroll's famous novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, as the majority of enemies in Mystic Square's extra stage are card soldiers of the same type seen in the Walt Disney animated movie version of the novel. The title of the BGM used in that stage also directly translates to "Alice in Wonderland".

* Alice's last name is based on the character Miss Murgatroyd from Agatha Christie's book "A Murder is Announced".
From here.  Her name's definitely spelled in katakana.  As for Marisa, Touhou Wiki doesn't say much else except that her name's definitely weird, and spelled in kanji.

herbert

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2009, 01:37:06 AM »
I always suspect something like this also happens with Marisa.

Reisen's profile in IN.

She is currently living as Kaguya's pet. Her name was originally written レイセン (pronounced Reisen), but it was changed to 鈴仙 (also pronounced Reisen) to better blend into Earth's civilization.