Author Topic: Stuffman's weekly game, maybe not D&D? (Maybe so!)  (Read 68396 times)

Rabbit

• Red Tenshi
  • 3x More Touhou
Re: Stuffman's weekly game, maybe not D&D? (Maybe so!)
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 04:04:38 PM »
I'm okay with 3.5 ED.  It seems like we already have a solid core of players familiar with the system so it's in no danger of bombing after a few sessions.  Of that I feel rather confident.  Of course it could be me who fucks everything up but yeah... :V
Too much of a good thing, and it is no longer good.

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
Re: Stuffman's weekly game, maybe not D&D?
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »
3.5E is another option. Actually, it would probably be easier for me as I know a lot more about 3.5E than 4E, and it tends to play faster. It's not much fun to play for core melee types though, and the tactical aspect kind of falls apart because the game's balance is unsalvagable. Still, it's better for a game that's less combat-focused than 4E.

I actually have a character idea for 3.5e but...it'll require a LOT of okays from you to work, so I'm unsure if you'd be willing to let me use this particular character. Of course, this is if you run it. And if you do, and don't like my character, I'll come up with something else

Okay, so how do you guys feel about a 3.5E game then?

I have a PDF of every book. Every single one.

Note that if we play it I will be applying liberal handwavium in making awful classes and races less awful, so you should hopefully be able to play whatever you want and remain relevant.

This bodes really well actually ^-^

The game will run in the same timeslot as before 11 AM EST (4 PM GMT).

And yes, the Tome of Battle is fine. Encouraged in fact, since core fighters are woefully inadequate.

On Sunday? I'm in church then...can't it be 12/12:15?

I REALLY would like in (and the church thing will become null in a couple months when I move.

But yeah, other than Sunday I'm actually available for that timeslot ANY OTHER DAY.

Anyway, should I PM you the more problematic aspects of my character so you can decide if it's ok or not?

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2009, 04:56:15 PM »
Anyway, should I PM you the more problematic aspects of my character so you can decide if it's ok or not?

Ooh, if it's not a secret, could you post them here? I'm curious how it could be problematic (and I do know just how problematic aspects of 3.5 can get).

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2009, 05:06:51 PM »
Ooh, if it's not a secret, could you post them here? I'm curious how it could be problematic (and I do know just how problematic aspects of 3.5 can get).

It involves appendages that should not be named.

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »
I'd love to play either D&D 3.5, any World of Darkness setting (I can provide the books, they're all on my mediafire), or 2nd ed. Exalted.
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2009, 05:22:27 PM »
Gah, I wish I'd noticed this sooner... All of the spaces are probably already taken up by now, but if not then I'd like to express my interest in playing D&D 3.5... I'm a lot more familiar with first edition, but I have the books (the ones I have are the three core manuals, Dieties and Demigods, BoVD, BoED and Oriental Adventures) so hopefully it won't be too difficult to move up to 3.5~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 05:37:47 PM »
Not to add on more confusion here or anything, but I notice you guys are talking about  doing D&D 3.5.

Have you guys considered playing Pathfinder rules instead?  It's basically a revamp of 3.5 to make things more simplified and streamlined.  Some people consider it to be D&D 3.75.  Me and some friends are going to be playing it locally and I'll let you know how well it holds up to D&D 3.5.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2009, 05:46:56 PM »
Quote from: Mr_Bob
Winter break just started so hopefully I can join.
I hope you'll be able to play for longer than that! A campaign takes like six months minimum to complete. I hope you guys realize this is a significant commitment. Though, it's okay if you want to jump in and try it and leave later when you need to. I'm expecting some people to need to drop out after a while, so I might start with an oversized party.

Er... By the way, this just occurred to me... Am I going to need the rulebooks and stuff? I actually don't have any, and come to think of it, I'm inexperienced enough that it might be a problem. I didn't even realize that druids were Divine spellcasters rather than Arcane until today <_<;
I will make sure everybody has the PDFs they need. Don't feel bad about piracy, since Wizards abandoned 3E entirely and doesn't even sell the books anymore~

Quote from: UK
On Sunday? I'm in church then...can't it be 12/12:15?

I REALLY would like in (and the church thing will become null in a couple months when I move.
12 might be doable? We had it at 11 before for Acidus and Wrathie's sake, but they might not be playing this time around. We don't have much wiggle room because we're playing with people all over the world. Can everyone do 5 PM GMT? A full session can run up to 3 hours.

Go ahead.

Anyway, this is our list of people interested:
- Pesco
- Rabbit
- Xan
- ShiningDrake
- Arashi
- Fightest
- Mr_Bob
- Moerin
- UK
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 06:02:38 PM by Stuffman »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 05:49:18 PM »
Have you guys considered playing Pathfinder rules instead?

I do not like Pathfinder. The solution to fixing a wildly broken game is not to make everyone more powerful.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »

Not sure how much I should say. Some groups I play with prefer that your character's ability gets explored in game with the other players (don't share stats, etc.). Other's prefer that everyone build into a group. I'd like to leave that call to Stuffman.

I will say this. If he allows my idea it will at the very least allow for an interesting subplot.

It involves appendages that should not be named.

Oh you. As it happens, no.

Cut:

Anyway, this is our list of people interested:
- Pesco
- Rabbit
- Xan
- ShiningDrake
- Arashi
- Fightest
- Mr_Bob
- Moerin

Why aren't I listed :(?

12 might be doable? We had it at 11 before for Acidus and Wrathie's sake, but they might not be playing this time around. We don't have much wiggle room because we're playing with people all over the world. Can everyone do 5 PM GMT? A full session can run up to 3 hours.

12 should be doable. Worst to worst I show up 15 minutes late and catch up.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2009, 06:03:41 PM »
Why aren't I listed :(?
Whoops, added.

You ARE UK right? (I really wish changing names wasn't allowed...)

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2009, 06:04:30 PM »
Whoops, added.

You ARE UK right? (I really wish changing names wasn't allowed...)

Yeah. Should I change it back? The Flonne thing is kinda over and I'm bored with Tantei Kun Kun.

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2009, 06:18:56 PM »
Can everyone do 5 PM GMT? A full session can run up to 3 hours.

You're making me get up before noon on the weekends? =P Nah, 's cool, I can make it.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2009, 06:23:58 PM »
5pm GMT would suit me perfectly, but I'd probably have to break halfway through for dinner.  But as long as that's okay, I'm fine with the time~
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »
5pm GMT would suit me perfectly, but I'd probably have to break halfway through for dinner.  But as long as that's okay, I'm fine with the time~

That time slot was to suit our dinner times. A bit of brief idle isn't too much of a problem.

Fightest

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2009, 07:26:10 PM »
5 PM GMT works perfectly fine.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2009, 08:27:48 PM »
...Gah >.< Looks like I'm going to have to attempt to fix up my screwed up sleep schedule =/ I rarely get up before 2 PM CST, which is... 8 PM GMT. But it's a problem that is entirely with me, rather than any true schedule. I have nothing but free time, so the times I sleep are completely my fault. *sigh*

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2009, 08:40:11 PM »
Alright, we worked out most of the things with my character. I'm definitely in for this at 5 PM GMT Sundays.

Umu...my roleplay/gaming style isn't great though. I'm...uh...not great at DnD. I think I'll do better than usual with this character since it's a concept I've been fleshing out for a while and the kind of character I'd want to play, but please forgive me if I'm not the greatest. I do understand the rules and have quite a few sourcebooks, so my technical knowledge isn't too lacking, I'm just not exactly a tactical genius. I welcome any advice and such to improve my play though ^-^.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2009, 08:41:23 PM »

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »
Okay, just so y'all know the setting is probably gonna be the source of some sort of small-scale planar disaster, and you'll be hopping around different worlds quite a bit. This means your character can be pretty much anything. Get creative.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2009, 09:00:32 PM »
Claiming Ewok right now.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2009, 09:07:28 PM »
Hm... I'm not sure which of my characters I should play. There are four specifically that I'd really like to try and play right now, but I'm not sure which to choose...

Stuffman, would you mind if I PM'd you with details about them? This actually includes possible sub-plots related to their character concepts, as I often like to keep their pasts somewhat similar between different incarnations. Then you could tell me who you'd most like to see, since I'm still sort of undecided.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2009, 09:20:56 PM »
Yeah go ahead and PM me if you want to work stuff out, either backstory or unusual mechanical stuff.

UncertainJakutten

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »
Ok. Well, so you all know I'm going to be a Wild Mage. Well, sorta. Stuffman has developed a set of rules for wild magic that takes more after 2e. I can give you all more information if needed.

Oh yeah, my character is templated like a hengeyokai cat, but isn't actually a hengeyokai. Long story :P.

But yeah, you have at least one arcane caster with...interesting tricks.

Fightest

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2009, 11:22:41 PM »
Heh, wild mages. Oughta be fun. As for my stuff, I'll post it here for maximum transparency, and see if anyone has any interesting input, both fluff- and crunch-wise.

Combat-wise, I'm putting together the best tank I can with a good degree of party support (specifically, a Crusader going as deep as I can into the Shield-related feat trees). If everyone doesn't mind, I'll also be playing around with the social feats in PHB2 that give me options when talking at people. I'll be focusing around Strength and Charisma.

I was looking for a cool race, but I haven't found anything quite interesting yet, and I don't want to play yet another human, so that's currently pending.

Finally, is the setting within the D&D multiverse? Specifically, does Sigil exist there? If so, I'd like my character to be from Sigil, although he's not quite welcome back there any more. Personality-wise, he's a bit obsessed with the concept of the unstoppable force versus the immovable object (which ties into his combat style), and is a bit of a... well, thug when it comes to trouble, but is a generally nice guy around friends, if not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2009, 11:39:11 PM »
After talking with Stuffman, I've decided which character I'm going to play.

Combat-wise, she's almost pure support. She dislikes combat under almost all circumstances, and when it really is necessary, she'll stick purely to healing and otherwise improving the performance of her allies. She might get involved in attacking when demonic/undead/otherwise unholy creatures are involved though, as she does actually find those abhorrent.

RP-wise, she's probably not going to be in the spotlight too much, as she's rather quiet and timid. She does have some interesting abilities and background story that Stuffman can abuse for plot though  ;D

Those are all the details I'm gonna be putting up for everyone to see right now. You're all just gonna have to wait and see for everything else ;)

Fightest

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2009, 11:56:16 PM »
@ShiningDrake: Cleric dipping into stuff from the Book of Exalted Deeds? If I'm right, those Vow Feats - Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace - are certainly strong RP hooks.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2009, 12:02:36 AM »
Book of Exalted Deeds? I, uh, don't even know what that is x: Nor what Vow Feats are. *is clueless* Her character concept just happens to involve her being a pacifist.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2009, 12:02:53 AM »
Cloistered Cleric variant for sure.

Healer from Miniatures Handbook if you feel like punching yourself in the stomach. (Actually if you were interested I could probably look for ways to make it not horrible.)

Finally, is the setting within the D&D multiverse?
I wasn't planning on it, since I wanted to make up planes and dimensions and stuff as I went along, but I don't mind if Sigil exists. I don't know a lot about it though, aside from the Lady of Pain and all that.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 12:05:22 AM by Stuffman »

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2009, 12:18:28 AM »
I'd be interested in joining if you were still accepting new people. (My only problems with joining is that i'm not sure if I'm free 5 PM GMT this or next week)

For previous experience, i've been playing White Wolf games for a few years now (mainly mixed oWoD with Mage focus and Exalted if that means anything to anyone), and i've done a little bit of DnD.

As for RP-style, i'm definitely more 'fluff' than 'crunch' orientated, but i'm happy with crunchier games as long as it's not frowned upon to act in character or take the 'less-optimal' route to character creation/course of actions, etcetera.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook