Author Topic: Which Touhou Girl is your favourite?  (Read 15343 times)

Re: Which Touhou Girl is your favourite?
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »
Shizuha, because I love the autumn and its beautiful colours, and now I have an appropriate goddess I can thank for them :)

Nitori, because her shy personality is really endearing. Also, MoF was my first Touhou game, and although I knew beforehand the series was renowned for being difficult, the start of her boss fight was an awesome "now it's going to get serious" moment, together with really great music.

Reimu and Sanae, because they're shrine maidens, and I'm fascinated by Japanese culture and belief. I think one of the most interesting things about any religion is the way, even if you don't take it seriously, it presents you with its own set of categories and symbols for understanding and relating to the world -- so I love the idea of a quarrel between two gods being settled by their rival shrine maidens duking it out by firing religious symbols at each other ;)

Sakuya, because... well, it's already been posted:
I like Sakuya for her character archetype: the mysterious maid or butler to the Big Bad who is very powerful, making you wonder just why they chose to work under someone. It's always fun speculating on these characters, and they just are fun to use. Sakuya's no-nonsense personality also helps here. She's the kind of character who'd kick someone's ass and then whip out some tea to calmly sip over their opponent's lifeless body. You can't hate someone like that. Also Flowering Night is amazing, especially the SWR mix.

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2015, 05:02:09 AM »
I like a lot of characters so I'll try and keep it down pretty low.

Utsuho: The Moron. She's just this kind of cute dumb that I can't help but find absolutely adorable. Her absolute lack of common sense is amazing.  Also her cape is fucking fantastic.

Seija: The Rebel. The fact she's caused so much mayhem in such a short amount of time is quiet impressive. Also, I love her design. Those arrows look amazing and her color pallet is really nice.

Nue: The Trickster. I think I have a thing for mischievous characters, because Nue is a youkai after my own heart. Also the fact that a nue is really awesome helps.  :V

Louise: The Unfortunate Traveler. Anyone remember her from MS? No? Well I do, and I love her for whatever reason. She's just some random demon that we beat up for just being there, but she's not really evil or anything (if anything she's quiet polite to the heroine). She just wants to go on a vacation dammit!  Her title is also great, "Makai Person." So generic, I love it.

Kyouko: The Janitor. She's cute, has an interesting ability, and has a great theme. Did I mention she is cute? Because she is ridiculously cute. Also her being in a rock bank with Mystia to sing in the middle of the night is amazing.

Special Mention:
Tokiko: The Punching Bag. Poor, poor Tokiko. She didn't even get a name in Curiosities of Lotus Asia, just beaten up for being there. But I love her design and she looks so cute (I like cute things sue me). Though, I doubt she'll ever appear in a proper game, but her cameo in Forbidden Scrollery was nice.

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

Midnight_Sparky

• Hello there frand
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2015, 08:52:55 PM »
Hmmm this is really a tough question to ask really. Hmmmmmmm. I know!

i really like Aya because she is really well funny specially how most of the fandom portray her.

other character i like includes Kagasa because darn she is so cute and everything not to mention very trickster like!

as well as Satori primarily because i feel extremely sorry for the poor gal ya know always being hated becasue of something not necessarily her fault and all not to mention her and all her wonderful pets (one of which is a bird so i 100% approve)

ZXNova

• Life is an explosion!
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2015, 03:39:59 AM »
My twin. :V

I'd like to add that Kaguya was executed repeatedly before the Lunarians exiled her, and that the piano solo in Eirin's theme is epic.

My reading of Bougetsushou, especially Cage in Lunatic Runagate, is the reason why the princess is my favourite. But I think that much is obvious from most of my posts. Another reason is that I think there is more to her, and that ZUN isn't "done" with her yet (as with other characters).

There are the questions of:
  • her real reason to ask for and to drink the Hourai Elixir,
  • her possible (Bamboo Cutter-era) meeting with Mokou and their later reunion,
  • her reason for humouring Mokou,
  • her being genuinely unclean and what comes of it,
  • what her contribution to the Earth will be when her bonsai blooms, if it does.

There is also the mystery of why ZUN redacted that passage about her in CiLR's first chapter.

I say that there is more to Kaguya, because I noticed that she tends to mask what she really thinks and feels. She did this in CiLR, and Eirin seems to go by assumptions as to where she stands.

Oops, ran out of time. This post is roughy drafty and incomplete - will revise and add more later.

Anyway, I love what ZUN did with her character and how he made her his own.

Very late, but glad to find a twin! :D

I always thought that the reason why she drank the hourai elixir was because... she felt like it. Maybe there is a more complicated reason behind it. Which reminds that there was a person imprisoned on the moon named Chang'e, and that the creating of the hourai elixir on the moon (which is made by the lunar rabbits) was actually a ritual on the moon for some sort of atonement for Chang'e drinking the hourai elixir. Seeing as how Kaguya also drank the elixir, she would likely be in the same situation as Chang'e if she was to return the moon... I believe this is Eirin's main reason for saving her.

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2015, 07:00:22 AM »
Typically you'll find me talking more about 98 characters and people like Yuugi and Sukuna.
But some of my favorites has to be(Can't really have a definite one.)

Kurumi:Appears to be very strong but somewhat nice, I do like her for the design of what i've seen of her personality.

Kotohime:Personality purely, plus who else can arrest Reimu?

Sekibanki:Personality once more, not many people I can think of prefers to stay away from incidents and other Youkai, especially if she's also a Youkai.

Chiyuri:Personality as well as design and the fact that she caused a incident by complete accident.

Mima:I liked the character development she had in the games she appeared, towards the end she was no longer a vengeful ghost and had interest in being the god of humanity instead of the one to destroy it,.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

Doki-Doki

• Oki-Dokie!
  • Ooh, scary, scary!
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2015, 04:44:25 PM »
It's not easy to pick favorites in a series where the cast is so brilliantly varied and unique, but I'll do it anyway!

1. Cirno
No, not the fandom nineball-Cirno, the Cirno who went from being a stage 2 boss to becoming the protagonist of her own game and canonically beating MARISA of all people (Sure she says she was going easy on Cirno, but she does freaking admit even if she wasn't she'd have a hard time beating her.) I love development in characters a lot, and I just find it amazing that someone so dumb is actually pretty much on her way to becoming 'The Strongest'. With how she managed to hold her ground to face off with other characters in Touhou 9, to how she successfully managed to fight UTSUHO without melting, to how she defeated Marisa. Top it off with a catchy theme and a lovable personality and you have a pretty charming fairy.

2. Mima/Yumemi
I honestly can't pick between these two, they're both iconic characters from the PC-98 era with brilliant points to them. First of all, everyone knows Mima (she'llbeinthenextnameplsplspls) The fact she's probably had the longest history with both protagonists makes her all the more interesting to me, being Marisa's mentor/possible mother and having a prominent role in the PC-98 games, but there's also a huge amount of mystery surrounding her which just makes me like her more. Top it off with the fact she has some outstanding themes and you have a pretty great character. Now, onto Yumemi. I always like characters that show great strength despite all the odds, and who better an example for that than Yumemi? Before there were gods, vampires and revolutionaries, there was an 18 year old human prodigy. Add the fact she has one of the most badass and iconic themes in the series as well as an AMAZING cape and you have one of my favorite Touhou characters to this day.

3. Mokou
What's not to love about Mokou? SHE'S THE ONLY TOUHOU WITH PANTS! Okay on a serious note, I really love her character, her design reflects her power and her tomboy-personality really damn well, as well as her having a pretty detailed backstory that makes me sympathize and honestly respect her. Not to forget, her theme as well is on a godly level of it's own. Stillcan'tgetpastHonestMan'sDeaththoughdammit.