Author Topic: A fan interpretation of PC-98 history: 东方求闻寻昔~Mirage of Fontal Power  (Read 3697 times)

Marron

• Ordinary crow
Since it's fanon and not canon, I will start the topic here.
I heard of it from youtube, then I checked the link. And I saw that:
https://doujin.bgm.tv/subject/40542

So guys, what do you think ? I already talked about it on my touhou forum and another touhou website.(French since I'm, well, French*congratulation captain obvious*)
Apparently it will be a book like Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red and Symposium of Post-Mysticism, except it's made by fan.
There's this picture with Byakuren and Shinki, so I think this part will explain why Byakuren and Shinki have almost that same spellcard. We can see that they will be sketch in black and white like the other books.
There will also be sigil: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3573159988
we can see a cross, It will surely be the sigil for Yumemi.

Well that's it, folks.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:09:06 PM by cuc »

Dream Wanderer

This looks like it could be a really interesting project! I look forward to hearing more about it in the future. The artwork looks amazing! :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 12:06:07 AM by Dream Wanderer »

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
So; if I understand correctly; this is a fanmade version of one of those Akyu/Aya book-style things for the PC-98 era?

Curious. Also interesting since it makes me happy to see other people willing to delve into PC-98 lore and characters.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
This seems to be an interesting idea. It's always nice to see different fan interpretations of the PC-98 cast.

I'm just not sure if you guys will have enough material to work with since so little is known about those characters. But I'm still looking forward to it.  :)

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Say, does anyone know what the title 东方求闻寻昔 means?

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
(Note: 东 and 闻 are simplified Chinese characters for 東 and 聞.)

It's an imitation of the previous Gensokyo Chronicles books' titles (東方求聞史紀 and 東方求聞口授) . In other words, they're actually overstepping the boundary by making a fan work with a title too similar to canon. If they're in Japan, they'd get reprimanded for that.

東方求聞史紀 (PMiSS) means "Eastern Histories as Heard by Akyuu".

東方求聞口授 (SoPM) means "Eastern Oral Teachings as Heard by Akyuu".

The part they swapped in, 寻昔 means "searching for the past".

The most difficult to understand part of the original titles is 求聞. There are multiple ways of understanding this phrase*, but given the context, it can only mean "heard by Akyuu".

* It is also a reference to Akyuu's super-memory ability: 求聞持 "to retain what is heard", which originates from a type of Vajrayana Buddhist mantra 求聞持法 that helps with learning and memorization.

However, the creators of this doujinshi don't seem to know what the original titles mean, so their imitation title doesn't make very good sense.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 06:38:11 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Marron

• Ordinary crow
There was this guy on a picture chan who said that it is written in the perspective of Kosuzu and Akyuu. And that according to the artist, it is "80% canon, 20% bullshit". It's made in China.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
This seems to be an interesting idea. It's always nice to see different fan interpretations of the PC-98 cast.

I'm just not sure if you guys will have enough material to work with since so little is known about those characters. But I'm still looking forward to it.  :)

There are some PC-98 characters which you can get a lot from by reading between the lines or based on their design. Particularly Shinki [And for Shinki you can throw in UFO's representation of Makai too] and Elly; and to a lesser degree Yuki; Mai; Gengetsu/Mugetsu and of course Alice [Although a fair amount of this comes together with her Windows Incarnation].

There are some characters; such as Orange; or anyone not named Mima or Reimu in HRtP which there's literally nothing to go on; but most of the others; you can dig; be it their design; their theme; or something they say.

We know less about Daiyousei than most PC-98 characters.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
There was this guy on a picture chan who said that it is written in the perspective of Kosuzu and Akyuu. And that according to the artist, it is "80% canon, 20% b*******". It's made in China.
You know Akyuu haters/unbelievers are going to make that percentage the other way round.  :P