Author Topic: Very First Touhou Game  (Read 15048 times)

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
Re: Very First Touhou Game
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, because I always try to start series at the beginning when I can (and at the time I didn't know about the emulators for PC-98). It ended up being my 3rd Normal 1cc after the much easier PCB and LLS.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #91 on: December 30, 2014, 12:48:46 AM »
The game that first made me aware of Touhou was Super Marisa World, back when it was quite popular and had videos all on Youtube (I believe around that time, Immaterial and Missing Power also released).

Didn't actually play any of the games until a friend gave me Imperishable Night to try out. And I didn't really get into the series until I decided to play Mountain of Faith on a whim.

So to recap, my first Touhou doujin game was Super Marisa World and my first legit Touhou game was Imperishable Night (which, to this day, I think is a great game for beginners).

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »
Mountain of Faith...
Ah, the memories...
I still cant beat it. :V

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2015, 04:48:15 AM »
my first game was swr, i think i just played it because i thought shmups were boring lol. then my first shooter was eosd :3

Rio

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2015, 05:05:57 AM »
My first game was Touhou 8 Imperishable Night, I can remember when it first came out. It was hard, but I got better and it was fun beating the extra stage!

jester147

• Touhou, Rhythm Game, JRPG fan
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2015, 03:46:32 AM »
I have stated it in another thread, but I'll post it again.

First Touhou game is Lotus Land Story, thanks to Bad Apple.

I immediately played on Normal, and I can do it fine, first 1cc is about one or two months later on EoSD.

« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2015, 09:36:42 AM »
Mountain of Faith. Perfect Cherry Blossom ended up being my first Normal 1CC though.

RuneDevros

• Professor Dr. Momoneko-sama
    • Lost Sky Project
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2015, 12:37:23 AM »
My first game I played was PofV. I had no idea what i was doing and didn't understand the system very well. A bunch of us on Talesforum would play against each other way back when.

After PofV, it was Imperishable Night.

1.0.0 is here (2/13/14) |  My Twitter | My Tumblr

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2015, 11:45:31 AM »
MoF,  it was the start of something beautiful.

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »
I started out when I stumbled across Embodiment of Scarlet Devil back in high school.  Played the crap out of it until the computer I had it on died, and I proceeded to forget about Touhou for a few years until a friend told me to get Soku.  That ended up re-sparking my interest in Touhou.  I think I was better at the games back then than I am now.  I remember getting to the fight with Sakuya back then, but now when I pick up EoSD I can't even get past Patchouli.

« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2015, 08:36:46 PM »
EoSD. I heard about Cirino's reputation of being an idiot and assumed that she would be an easy boss.

I was wrong. I was horribly, horribly wrong.

Ps

• Hiding from LoLK spoilers
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2015, 07:42:38 AM »
EoSD, because I wanted to play them "in order." Eventually I read a blog that suggested playing multiple games as a way to build "dodging instincts," so the day after I could bomb and continue my way past Remilia, I placed orders for 4 more games: PCB because it was next, MoF because it was the start of the Faith arc, DDC because it was new, and IaMP because it was a fighter. My current method is "you know which game sounds fun...?"

I heard about Cirno's reputation of being an idiot and assumed that she would be an easy boss.

This. I got so messed up by Icicle Fall - Normal that I still feel a little prickly when people make fun of her for Icicle Fall - Easy.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2015, 06:06:28 AM »
EoSD first, then IN after having trouble with it. PCB is the first I 1cced on Normal difficulty and settings.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Jeremie

• MoonScraper
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
I was directed to Hisoutensoku at some point. The game didn't have a translation back in those days.  I  thought Meiling was the main character along with Cirno and Sanae.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by Rumia.

« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2015, 02:07:05 AM »
EoSD first.

Ozzter

• Just lurking around, don't mind me.
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2015, 03:26:57 AM »
Like many others, I started on EoSD because of wanting to start at the beginning. Not regarding the PC-98 era, since I thought they were pretty outdated, and was a bit too lazy to set them up, but now that I've played through all of them, EoSD has sorta become that for me too. It's funny though, when I started EoSD, I could never figure out the hitbox, but after playing the others for a while, the hitbox got sort of ingrained in my memory, and now I feel EoSD has some of the easier main stages, the only one out of all of them I can consistently 1cc. Personally, I would recommend starting with any other of the Touhou shooters ( except SA ) if only because of the visible hitbox. ( I know there's a patch for a hitbox for EoSD, but I'm not a huge fan of patching extra features in my games. )
Saying I rarely post is an understatement... but I'm always here...!

anthonyshu01

• Rin Kaenbyou
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2015, 04:05:50 PM »
Perfect Cherry Blossom, I watched a video of the Phantasm stage and I was like "holy crap that looks hard af but I wanna try it"

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2015, 04:08:23 PM »
EoSD, cause, you know, YouTube parodies of Flandre's theme.

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2015, 01:10:28 AM »
Perfect Cherry Blossom, I watched a video of the Phantasm stage and I was like "holy crap that looks hard af but I wanna try it"

Surprisingly enough, PCB is IMO the easiest Touhou.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2015, 03:16:50 AM »
Surprisingly enough, PCB is IMO the easiest Touhou.

It really IS the easiest one IMO, easy stages, easy bosses, easy Extra, all easier than all others.

Then again, I have about 117 hours on it, while every other Touhou dosnt reach 30 hours... hopefully it will soon balance out (I don't really play PCB all that much nowadays because I have done literally everything I have wanted to do on it already pretty much)

ISC143

• Kouischey
  • Caved Johnson
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »
Perfect Cherry Blossom

anthonyshu01

• Rin Kaenbyou
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2015, 12:45:06 AM »

It really IS the easiest one IMO, easy stages, easy bosses, easy Extra, all easier than all others.

Then again, I have about 117 hours on it, while every other Touhou dosnt reach 30 hours... hopefully it will soon balance out (I don't really play PCB all that much nowadays because I have done literally everything I have wanted to do on it already pretty much)

Isnt IN easier? I compared the two and I thought PCB was slightly harder. Or is it because you get shields in PCB which makes it easier?

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2015, 04:42:56 AM »
Isnt IN easier? I compared the two and I thought PCB was slightly harder. Or is it because you get shields in PCB which makes it easier?

Well it might be just bias, but I always got the impression PCB was easier in general.

Even in the beginning when I sucked... it really wasn't THAT bad...

What I think makes PCB easier, is the border gimmick and also the fact that it is (Also IMO) the most memorization-heavy game in the series. I mean, look at Yuyuko: Nearly all of her patterns can be done the exact same way everytime... and she is the FINAL boss... yeah, kinda pathetic when you think about it lol!

In contrast, Eirin/Kaguya can be fairly dangerous even on Normal (Ok mainly Kaguya but still).