Author Topic: Which Touhou Girl is your favourite?  (Read 15539 times)

Which Touhou Girl is your favourite?
« on: January 11, 2015, 10:59:09 AM »
As we all know the Touhou series has a vast selection of girls (and the occasional man) . And I'm sure over our times of playing Touhou, we've all gotten attached to one or two of these characters.
Maybe it's because of design. Or maybe it's because of their personality. Maybe we just like everything about that character. So I was wondering what are /YOUR/ favourite characters?
You're allowed to choose more than one favourite for this post, because I know how hard it is to pick just one Touhou girl :P

So I better start with mine.

My all time favourite Touhou character is Sanae Kochiya.
And she always has been since Mountain of Faith. I just think everything about her character is really interesting. And I'm really glad she's became a sort of main character as of recently. She's always had this interesting synnergy between Lady Suwako and Lady Kanako. Speaking of Suwako...

My second favourite is the Godess Suwako.
Suwako is another really interesting character from Mountain of Faith that I instantly loved from the first moment I saw her (I've never reached her in the game, but I saw her on a video). And her backstories really interesting (Same with Sanae).
I have two more left and they are:
Nitori:
Nitori, she's so unique. A youkai who likes humans? Love it!
And
Marisa:
She's Marisa. Really all I need to say.

EDIT: I have a list of a few more favourites I can name.

Shikieiki : She's a God of Law. And her theme is amazing. I just love her character and design as well as her personality.

Cirno : She has her own game and she's the strongest. One of the first bosses I ever fought (EoSD) and she's a pretty amazing character too.

So what are your favourites?
Can't wait to hear from all of you fabulous maidens soon! :3
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:59:17 PM by Lisanius »

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
Re: Which Touhou Girl is your favourite?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 03:37:41 PM »
Well.

My absolute favourite is Yukari. Yeah, maybe it isn't to original, but I love everything about her: her power, her design, her personality, her spellcards... She's so awesome!

Second is Koishi. Same as with Yukari, I love her so much! It all began (even so most fans think it's complete garbage) with Koishi Komeiji's Heart Throbbing adventure. It's non-canonical, but it made me love her in canon. And her playstyle in HM was very fun!

Next up is Yuyuko. Theme/spellcard/design (hah). I really like her backstory. It made her very deep character.

And last, but not least: Futo! I really liked her plate gimmick in HM. That made me intrest in her, after what I completely fell in love in her.

I also like a lot of other characters, but not as much as this fabulous four mentioned before. I can list them here:
Sanae, Suwako, Mokou, Seija, Yuuka, Shinki, Raiko, Marisa, Luna, Remilia, Reisen...
And the list goes on...
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

Siro

• Not your usual oni.
  • Captured by spirits.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:53:13 PM »
My top favorite is Mokou. I pretty much like everything about her... personality, design, abilities (pyromancy just amazes me for some reason), and even her backstory. She's got a good theme as well.

Number two would be Yuuka. I really like her sort of personality... very defensive of her own property. I like that. I don't see her as a kill-on-sight kind of sadistic person, but I do see her as a person who doesn't take lightly to people busting in her home and/or messing with her garden. I'd be pissed off too if people were messing with my flowers. Her second theme known as "Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream" is also one of my favorite themes in Touhou. It has a very intimidating feel to it, and it just makes you feel like you're fighting someone who really doesn't approve of your presence at all.

Number three would be Mima. Yeah, I know, not the most original, but she is just awesome. Being a former teacher of one of the main characters? Check. Two equally awesome themes? Check. Interesting design? Check. Overall? Awesome.

Coming up at number four would be Koishi. The main reason I like her a lot is for her very strange ability. I mean, the power to make people not notice you unless you actually want them to notice you? Just imagine all of the other things she can do with her very mind-bending powers. It's scary, honestly. Her theme is also one of my favorites. A very strange theme, basically telling you that you really shouldn't be fighting this person... but for what reason?

Some honorable mentions:
Yukari: Awesomely overpowered abilities + an awesome theme = The awesomeness that is Yukari.
Kokoro: Since she cannot show emotions normally... well... it makes me feel somewhat sorry for her. Her theme is also pretty emotional as well. One of the only themes that actually made me feel bad for a character. She does look cute, though.
Shinki: Lives in a hell-like world, and then destroys it because of one little person (reimu) broke in there to stop something from happening. Pretty disappointing, but that still doesn't make her less awesome. Her theme is also one of my favorites. Her design is awesome, too. Especially those wings.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »
If I had to choose an absolute number 1 at this precise moment it would probobly be Elly. My top 5~10 interchanges pretty frequently however.

Blame me reading between the lines HARD on Elly. I like trying to use things within official touhou sources and mythology to peice together things about the girls. And Elly is one of the most extreme examples of what this can accomplish.

Basically, using things in LLS, I can assume Elly is an Ankou [Basically a Shinigami; both are reapers]; from Brittany [Now part of France], and has some tie to the Catholic faith [Specifically Perdition is a state of damnnation in Christian theology. Brittany was Catholic. Although Elly may not BE Catholic]. Is any of this outright stated? No. Is it reasonable? Yes.

Also fun fact, one of Brittany's major produced foods/drinks? An apple brandy. Talk about bad apple. [This isn't part of my theory; it's just funny]

Also since Elly is Breton I can even estimate her minimum age. [Assumeing LLS is set in it's release year; 1998; Elly must be at least 466 at the time of LLS; since Brittany ceased to exist after that]

Doing things like that is fun. I like digging. I like theories. As my sig suggests, my favorites are a combination of mystery; style and awesome. Elly is all three. And even with my digging there are still huge questions: like why on earth she works for Yuuka.

Other prominent Top 5 characters include Rumia and Seija. These three are often in conflict for #1. Other Top 10's include Sanae, Kogasa, Shinki, Alice, Raiko, Seiga and Yukari. Sanae often drops in and out of the Top 10; she's quite far below the other 9.

===

Actually I have some time so I'll explain the others in slightly briefer detail in no particular order:

Rumia: Whole 'Ribbon is a seal' thing. Also I can't help but pity her. She hates the light; so hides from it in her darkness. But she lacks the required secondary powers of seeing in her darkness [Which basically every youkai has!], so has to hunt while being blind, and navigate a forest.
Seija: Aside from being the first undeniably 'I'm still a bad guy even after Reimu beat me up' Touhou character [Seiga hasn't shown up again to show either way], she's a jerk; her character is interesting, and she's pretty awesome in terms of power and such. She's cunning and manipulative.
Yukari: Defines mystery
Seiga: It's a floating 'wicked hermit' who tricked her family into thinking she died, can pass through walls, steals things and helped train Miko, who deceived an entire nation. Yeah. Also Yoshika.
Alice: I find Alice... interesting. Why does she make dolls? Why does she want to create a doll with it's own soul? Why is it so bad if she loses using her Grimoire; she did so before and just threw a tantrum of sorts. Alice is often behind a facade... what is the real Alice?
Shinki: Well; she's Touhou Satan. Except Satan is nice.
Kogasa: Aside from being cute as a button, it's same same pity thing as with Rumia.
Raiko: STYLE INCARNATE
Sanae: Her adjustments to Gensokyo reflect how other ordinary people spirited away might act and adjust. Not that Sanae is 'normal'. Also when did she discover her power over miracles? Was it before she came to Gensokyo? If so, what happened in the real world at that time?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:58:16 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 01:14:44 AM »
Basically, using things in LLS, I can assume Elly is an Ankou [Basically a Shinigami; both are reapers]; from Brittany [Now part of France], and has some tie to the Catholic faith [Specifically Perdition is a state of damnnation in Christian theology. Brittany was Catholic. Although Elly may not BE Catholic]. Is any of this outright stated? No. Is it reasonable? Yes.

Also fun fact, one of Brittany's major produced foods/drinks? An apple brandy. Talk about bad apple. [This isn't part of my theory; it's just funny]

Also since Elly is Breton I can even estimate her minimum age. [Assumeing LLS is set in it's release year; 1998; Elly must be at least 466 at the time of LLS; since Brittany ceased to exist after that]

Doing things like that is fun. I like digging. I like theories. As my sig suggests, my favorites are a combination of mystery; style and awesome. Elly is all three. And even with my digging there are still huge questions: like why on earth she works for Yuuka.

Wow, you've really dug up some interesting facts here! I love seeing theories like this. I don't really have any theories of /that/ level of detail, but I do have a theory I have made for Sanae, which I put together through the dialogue of the games I've played involving her (Mountain of Faith, Undefined Fantastic Object, Ten Desires. I've been told she's the Extra Stage midboss).

Our first encounter with Sanae (being Stage 5 of MoF) We learn that she is also a Shrine Maiden, similar to Reimu, with a shrine in the mountains dedicated to her Godess Kanako. So we get a feeling that she has a strong relationship with Kanako, but with the selection screen of UFO, you have a choice between Kanako's homing snakes and Suwako's Frogs. This makes me believe she also has a faith in Suwako. Although there is a possibility that after the Extra Stage of MoF, and the defeat of Suwako and Kanako, that Youkai mountain became peaceful and Suwako became another God of the Shrine (if she wasn't one already).

I believe that Sanae was originally from the outside world (along with Kanako) and their shrine wasn't getting enough donations, and so they moved to Gensokyo and moved their shrine to Youkai mountain, hoping Youkai's would donate to them. I'm putting this part together through dialogue of Sanae's and Kanako.

So after the events of MoF we have Subterenean Animism, which is a very short part of my theory. I believe that Sanae's reason for being underground in the Extra Stage is Kanako's request. Maybe something to do with the remains of the Blazing Hell? I'm not sure, it's seems like the only explanation I've worked out about it. I'm doubting it's something to do with Koeshi's and Satori's mind powers. And it seems that it's the most plausible reason for her to be there.

Now, Undefined Fantastic Object is the first time we get to actually play as Sanae-
*I'M SO HAPPY THANK YOU*
- and I feel that Sanae's grabbing the UFO pieces because it could be something useful for the shrine, due to her absolute dedication for her shrine (as the same is with Reimu). And really, since I haven't gotten further than Stage 4 in this game (Oh the embarassament) I don't really know much of the dialogue that really shows her story off.
And Ten Desires doesn't hold much for her dialogue wise (And I've only recently got to Stage 5 on this one. I might actually finish this one :o ) But her reason for being in the game shows her being a selfish character. She seems to be taking the divine spirits for herself, although I do partially believe she is also taking them in a built up value to the shrine.

I'll probably edit this more when I've finished Ten Desires, Undefined Fantastic Object, Subterranean Animism and Mountain of Faith.
But that's my basic theory of her backstory I guess,
Hope you enjoy it :P

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 01:50:22 AM »
I reckon Yukari would top my list; I like the character design, the personality, the ambiguity of her motives and loyalties (how much of what she does is to benefit Youkai, Humans, or the balance of the two and whatnot), I find the way her abilities are portrayed quite interesting, and I adore both her dialogues and those resulting from interactions she has with other characters. She's like a lynchpin that gives a big swathe of characters the chance to make fun or interesting conversations, and those interactions help to flesh out those characters that might otherwise feel pretty flat or archetypical.

Yuyuko I like for similar reasons- design, personality, interactions, -though hers are limited to only a few characters, and I don't find her power particularly interesting, so she goes to second place.

After those two I can't really name a clear cut favourite. Heck, a good third of the cast of any given game (and most of the IaMP characters) tend to fall into the "thoroughly likable" category.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:23:25 AM »
Alice would be my number one favorite character. I love her overall design (her dress and its color scheme) and I also like her ability to control puppets. Her commitment to her work is also commendable. I also like her interactions with Marisa, both canon and fanon.

Second would be Renko and Maribel. The thought of two best friends traveling and solving mysteries...I'm just a sucker for adventure. Plus the fanart featuring the two with breathtaking scenery is absolutely amazing. Renko also has a special place in my heart since she was the first Touhou character I met :3

Third is Cirno, the adorable ice fairy. She is the second character to be special for me, since it was thanks to her theme (Well, Perfect Math Class actually) that convinced me to try out EoSD. I still remember my jaw hanging open when she first unleashed Icicle Fall for me xD

Fourth is Yukari. Her ability to manipulate boundaries is one of the most interesting/intriguing powers I've ever come across in fiction. I truly wish ZUN could somehow expand upon it in canon. Her personality is also of pure wonder and enigma. Whereas your cliche OP character acts all haughty and arrogant, Yukari doesn't care much for power as such things became irrelevant. She truly represents a character who is above all else.

Last but not least would be Remilia. I'm not really into vampires but the Scarlet Devil is an exception. Her childish appearance masks the raw power and mystery surrounding her. Truly a charismatic character.

And yeah, those are my top 5 :3

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »
Wooo time for this thread again! As it so happens I have a top 3 of more or less the same amount of favoritude, plus one honorable mention.

Aya: She and I share being journalists in common, but more importantly, she's a great example of Gensokyo itself; combining the modern and the mythical. She does what she wants, stays relatively independent, and has generously provided us with some great source material about the 2hus.

Kaguya: She and I share in common being exiles who came to love their new homes. She's also a great example of an old Japanese folktale given the ZUN treatment. I think her attitude about life and living is wise (see signature). There's a lot we could learn from her.

Seija: Man do I love this little anarchist. I can definitely appreciate the concept of fomenting revolution and wanting to overthrow the powerful. She gave Gensokyo the gift of chaos, and did initiate a revolution of sorts, as Gensokyans both human and youkai alike temporarily set aside the rules just to try and stop her. What a gal.

As an honorable mention, I gotta say Cirno will always have a special place in my heart. She's a great comic foil, and her theme was a favorite of my daughter's for a while. So she's alright by me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:38:15 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Elidis

• Pat-a-cake champion
  • Pew Pew
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 04:07:08 PM »
Yukari, Alice and Marisa are probably my favorites for the same reasons others have listed. But I love most of the characters anyway

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »
Basically, using things in LLS, I can assume Elly is an Ankou [Basically a Shinigami; both are reapers]; from Brittany [Now part of France]

OK back up a second.

I can see the very tenuous connections in pretty much everything you said about Elly except this bit here. I have no idea where you get this from. Not even her name is Breton or French. The "perdition" thing, "Bad Apple", being a shinigami - that I can get. But what's the connection here?

I'm not going to crap all over your theory here; it's fun to whip up personal theories about favorite characters, and you totally qualified your theory with the caveat that you're reading hard between the lines. I'm just genuinely curious because I cannot see where you get this from. What am I missing?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:09:38 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 05:05:25 PM »
My top Touhou girl is, and always was, Sakuya. I always had a soft spot for wisecracking assassin types, but I also like that she has a silly side to her. It really makes her an eccentric human instead of just a faithful killing machine you'd imagine her to be. Also, we both can't eat high-temperature foods.

My second favourite Touhou girl would be Youmu. Just because she deserves a hug for all her work.

My third favourite Touhou girl would be Okuu. The only explanation I need to give is "look up where I'm from". (Also: wings, straightforward personality and just being cute.)

Then there are a few dozens of other characters that I like or respect for something.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »
For the longest time, my favorite was either Sanae for just how much one can do with her in fanon or Nue because prankster-types are always favorites of mine.  Then Double Dealing Character happened.

My favorite Touhou girl is Raiko.  She's kind of a new addition to the cast, but that doesn't stop me from thinking she's a very deserving one.  Musical characters have always been ones I like as a musician myself, and Raiko takes this to an entirely new level with her danmaku always being in rhythm with her song.  That, and taiko drums are such majestic, powerful instruments.  It's nice to see them have a tsukumogami now.  She's been treated pretty well in fanon, and she's definitely DDC's resident swagmaster (since every game seems to have one).  She's been my wallpaper for quite some time now, as well as my avatar, and I doubt either of those will change anytime soon.

Other notable 2hus include Marisa, Kogasa, Meiling, Sakuya, Remilia, Flan, Mokou, and Cirno

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 09:28:13 PM »
OK back up a second.

I can see the very tenuous connections in pretty much everything you said about Elly except this bit here. I have no idea where you get this from. Not even her name is Breton or French. The "perdition" thing, "Bad Apple", being a shinigami - that I can get. But what's the connection here?

I'm not going to crap all over your theory here; it's fun to whip up personal theories about favorite characters, and you totally qualified your theory with the caveat that you're reading hard between the lines. I'm just genuinely curious because I cannot see where you get this from. What am I missing?

No problem. If anything I like people pressing my theories. Encourages me to dig deeper.

The Ankou:
' appears as a man or skeleton wearing a cloak and wielding a scythe and in some stories he is described as a shadow that looks like a man with an old hat and a scythe, often atop a cart for collecting the dead. He is said to wear a black robe with a large hat which conceals his face.'

Italics are the key points. He isn't key; Miko proves male historical figures can be female in Gensokyo. Elly wears a robe/dress [Although red, not black]; wields a scythe, and has a large hat which, when tipped, could effortlessly obscure most of her face in shadow.

But the Ankou is specifically a Breton myth. Every parish in Brittany is said to have it's own Ankou. Hence, if Elly is based upon this myth, it means her origin is Brittany. Basically the Breton connection comes from the origin of the myth of the Ankou. Also, it's strengthened by the fact that Brittany was Catholic and Perdition is Christian theology.

Perdition is defined by 'a state of eternal punishment and damnation into which a sinful and unrepentant person passes after death.' So Perdition Crisis seems like a pretty appropriate theme name for facing down a reaper, and since it specifically states a Christian theological term it narrows Elly down to being based on a Christian region's myth. Which is mainly Europe. And Perdition seems like a strange word for ZUN to use if it didn't mean something.

And while 'Elly' isn't a French name, I did some digging because of this prompt.

'Elenor', which Elly is derived from, is indeed a French name. In fact Elenor was a pretty common name in the French region at that time, particularly among the upper classes. And 'Elly' isn't exactly a Japanese name either.  Elenor is also a German name, but I couldn't find any myths she could really be based on from German lore. At least, not one that fit as well as the Ankou.

Obviously the Brittany connection falls apart if Elly is not based on the Ankou.

Honestly Elly is a prime example of how much thought ZUN puts into character design and even music names, the fact that people can come up with theories like this with so little in-game said for certain in the dialogue. Even in the PC-98 era.  Of course there's others; like Shinki.

I mean, the final bosses are always rather thought-provking, but Elly's a Stage 3 boss. Compare Elly to Yumeko in terms of hidden things between the lines, even in terms of being the Final Boss's sidekick.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:06:06 PM by Raikaria »

I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.

Razzi Zadhna

• bye chagen
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 11:22:13 PM »
So, is this a thinly-veiled "wich 2hu wud u fuk" thread?

...All right, all right, I'll take it seriously. Ya'll no fun at all :V

Nailing this down is pretty much impossible for me. Besides a tiny amount, I like pretty much all the 2hus. If you wanted me to make a Top 5, I'd STILL have tons of trouble because there's so many I could put there. But let me try. Note that this is NOT in order in the slightest, I hate doing that and I can never nail down an order anyway:

-Momiji: My waifu 2 laifu. Momiji is simply the cutest little wolf on the planet. I'd fallen in love the moment I saw her. Her lovely white hair, her red eyes...love~ But besides her cute and sexy looks, I like her personality as well; she feels like one of the more grounded and sane residents of Gensokyo.

-Byakuren: Byakuren is an interesting character in my eyes. She's got the fact that she's trying to help Youkai but at the same time preaches something that goes against their base nature. She has a strong sense of conviction, but an adorable and moe ditziness in how she fails to watch her subordinates and friends closely. Her theme is one of the most amazing in the entire series, and she interacts with a lot of other characters I love like Shou, Nue, and the like. Plus, her rivalry with Miko makes for good stories. She's also beautiful: that long, luscious, gradient hair, her womanly stature, and her lovely dress are all just amazing. Plus, you know: those bountiful Buddhist boobs. Sorry, I'm a simple man to please.

-Reisen: Well, first of all, she's a cute gun-toting bunnygirl. But besides that, Reisen is, at least to me, one of the few Only Sane Women in the entire series, so I love portraying her as a person who is just plain DONE with Gensokyo's wacky bullshit (you can see this in Inebriated Fairy Erotica). I absolutely despise most canon depictions of Reisen, as Eirin/Tewi/The Whole Fucking World's chew toy and as a useless bunny. She's way better than that, and I will fight for Reisen's dignity till I collapse. She's one of worst treated characters by the fandom, which makes my love for her only stronger.

-Miko: When TD came out, I gave zero shits about it. I pretty much left the fandom. Well, now I'm back, and I love the ever-living fuck out of Miko. Why? Because she's SWAG AS FUCK. No other way to put it. Miko has such a self-confident, overblown-yet-awesome sense of "I am fucking amazing and I love it". From her cape, her bold personality, to the crazy shit she pulled in her backstory, Miko just plain don't give a damn about what you think. There's no character like her in Touhou. Even Remilia is still a bratty kid, and Yukari is too lazy to do anything. Miko has the power AND the confidence. Her theme in TD was...okay, but really anticlimatic, however the HM remix was simply amazing. In terms of design, she's pretty good, I kinda wish she had...something else to her. She's so confident but she's not even that womanly. Byakuren has her clearly beat when it comes to projecting maturity, if you know what I mean. Then again, no one can agree on her boob size--I like her a little big, but not Byakuren-level.

-Tenshi: Like Reisen, Tenshi is another character who is treated awfully by the fandom--or did all the masochist jokes stop? Regardless, I love viewing her as a lovably-bratty girl who just wants to have some fun, and she's gonna get her fun by any goddamn means possible. She strikes me as the kind of person who would go out and start shit, and as a writer I love those kinds of proactive characters. I like her cocky and self-confident, not whiny and masochistic like so many others do. Plus, she's beautiful: all that long AND blue hair (Seriously, her hair is SO GODDAMN PRETTY HOLY SHIT) is good enough, but that dress is just lovely to look at. ZUN's character design is near-flawless. She also has the slightly unfair disadvantage that I ship her with an OC.

Wow, that's five. Uh...there's so many characters that I'd love to put here, so you know what? Let's make this ten, because honestly Touhou has a stupid-huge cast anyway:

-Marisa: Main character represent! Marisa is so much cuter than that other MC, Reimu, with her blond hair and cute witch outfit. But besides that, I love Marisa's no-nonsense-let's-just-barrel-into-things-at-full-speed attitude. Marisa does what she wants, and she doesn't care if anyone else has complaints. Reimu is always bitching about her job and wondering when she can get home, but Marisa? Marisa doesn't even have to solve incidents, that's Reimu's job, but she be all like "Yeah, I'm gonna go solve this by myself, Reimu, 'cause I just can". I love how, in a world filled with stupid-powerful youkai and gods and demons and angels and all sorts of crazy stuff, Marisa is just a simple ordinary Magician who nonetheless can go toe-to-toe with nearly the entire cast. Marisa is just badass. It's as simple as that. Oh, and her themes are always godlike, 'cause she's awesome like that.

-Sanae: Green Reimu Shrine Maiden represent! I didn't actually care a ton for Sanae for a long while, but in the past few weeks I'm starting to really like her. Like most of the girls I already mentioned, Sanae is really assertive and confident. I just like those kinds of girls. She's a connection to the outside world, and she's got that adorable "YOUKAI HUNTING FUCK YEAH" attitude. Plus, she's really pretty...I like long-haired girls, in case you haven't guessed.

-Sakuya: Alright, I guess it's time to go mainstream. But truthfully, the reason for Sakuya's popularity is pretty easy to see. Now, while most people see "knife-throwing maid" and already have their thumbs up, I like Sakuya for her character archetype: the mysterious maid or butler to the Big Bad who is very powerful, making you wonder just why they chose to work under someone. It's always fun speculating on these characters, and they just are fun to use. Sakuya's no-nonsense personality also helps here. She's the kind of character who'd kick someone's ass and then whip out some tea to calmly sip over their opponent's lifeless body. You can't hate someone like that. Also Flowering Night is amazing, especially the SWR mix.

-Shou: Well, here's an uncommon choice. Poor Shou. No one gives the slightest two shits about her. Well, I do care about this tiger. She serves as a great foil to Byakuren, and has the same kind of adorable ditziness to her, except Shou can actually see when shit isn't working unlike Byakuren who is just stubborn. Of course, Byakuren usually fails to heed her advice. The only common portrayals of her are "Nazrin's Master" and "That Dumb Chick Who Loses Stuff All The Time", both of which I feel do a great disservice to her. Sure, Shou's ditzy, but she's still cool. She's a goddamn tiger. A sexy tiger at that...

-Aya: FINAL CHARACTER TIME. Even after 9 goddamn characters this was still really hard, but Aya surpassed everyone else because, surprise surprise: she's another "I do what I want", takes-no-nonsense characters. I just love them, I'm sorry! Like Reisen and Tenshi, I hate Aya's common depictions, as a panty-shooting pervert or as some intrusive shithead. That ain't my Aya. Aya's a journalist who loves to snoop out stories and shady stuff. She goes where she wants, and gets the scoop no matter what. Sure, she exaggerates her articles, but I'd attribute that to her fun-loving personality (though, to be honest, the few snippets we get don't even seem that much worse than Akyu's articles). Aya's never stopped: she's always on the move, which makes for great interactions with the rest of the cast. Plus, she even has TWO foils: Momiji for the serious foil, and Hatate for the ditzy foil. She's also got a more mature feel to her than the most of the cast--not as mature as, say, Byakuren, Eirin, Yukari, etc., but she still feels like a young adult where the rest of the cast are teenagers (Reimu, Marisa, Tenshi, Youmu, etc.) or kids (Cirno, Mystia, Wriggle, etc.)

/////////

Yes, I am well aware that you probably didn't intend for people to pick TEN characters, but blame ZUN for making such an amazing and vibrant cast. There are STILL characters who I feel had a shot at this list but had to sadly be cut, like Remilia, Ran, Seija, Suika...these are a pretty good representation of the characters I REALLY like. As may seem obvious, I like characters who are independent: they go out and DO stuff, instead of just sitting around.

Sahgren

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 06:09:54 AM »
In no particular order:

Hata no Kokoro: I'm a sucker for character development. Watching Hata no Kokoro grow over the course of her game was heartwarming for me.

Tenshi: I don't as much appreciate how she is now as much as what she has the potential to be. She's one of the few characters in the series that has a legitimate shot at becoming either a recurring villain or learning from her misdeeds to grow as a person. Either way, the fact that she's in a position to be either makes her interesting to me.

Utsuho: I like her character design and the juxtaposition between her air-headed personality and the excessive amount of power she's controlling. Plus, a part of me frankly appreciates that she straightforwardly attempted to turn the world into a literal Hell. It's refreshingly direct.

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 09:13:05 AM »
Her theme in TD was...okay, but really anticlimatic

For proper climactitude, time your spellbreaks to the music (3:45ish spell break)

Then again who doesn't time their spellbreaks to the music I mean it is a rhythm game after all

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 10:03:31 AM »
-Momiji: My waifu 2 laifu. Momiji is simply the cutest little wolf on the planet. I'd fallen in love the moment I saw her. Her lovely white hair, her red eyes...love~ But besides her cute and sexy looks, I like her personality as well; she feels like one of the more grounded and sane residents of Gensokyo

I do find it strange that people say this about her. She has 0 dialogue. There is no evidence of how sane or even even-tempered she is; besides the fact one of her spellcards is called 'Rabies Bite' ; which is a point against sanity if you ask me.

I mean maybe I missed something, but from what I can see Momiji is pretty aggressive [She doesn't even talk to Reimu/Marisa; she just attacks them, she doesn't even tell them to go back before she attacks].

The wiki says she has a co-operative personality and excecutes her duty faithfully, but every time she shows up she's not exactly co-operative. And we know she plays Shoji.

And there's the potential she's a racist. Aya claims she looks down on the Crow Tengu; and while Hatate claims it's just a personal feud; Momiji does attack her too, which is hardly wining her points. And out of all the characters who attack Hatate in the game, Momiji has the least excuse of mistaken identity, she has great vision and lives in the same village as the pair of them.

Although to be fair if most of the crow Tengu refer to wolf Tengu as 'mutts' like Aya does well...

I mean Momiji is clearly faithful and intelligent [Which are canine traits; and Momiji is a wolf], but I'd argue the 'level-headed' point.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:12:26 AM by Raikaria »

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »
Yukari has always been my favorite. I generally tend to gravitate towards characters in the higher end of the power scale, specially if they are of the "powerful enough to resolve all plots themselves but only jump in if it's REALLY necessary" variety. The few times she used her ability for something other than gaps (making it both day and night at the same time in IaMP, "fusing" with the player character in her "border of humans and youkai" spellcard in PCB) are really cool, too. I especially enjoy creepier depictions of her power, like the ones with arms coming from her gaps and all the eyes.

Besides that, I really enjoy her relationship with Yuyuko. They both know each other so well that one can completly rely on the other to fully understand her plans without even having to personally meet to discuss it, using pretty much only the slighest hints. It's one of the things that saves SSiB for me, tbh.

There's a bunch of other characters that I could also mention; Seiga (hedonistic asshole necromancer? She's living the dream), Utsuho (still not over her being a genius at nuclear reactor maintenance and nothing else), Shinmyoumaru (there's something really endearing about her spirit and naivety. Like, "this random girl from a race known to be complete assholish liars says it was the youkai from Gensokyo that wronged my people? WELL I'LL GO FUCK THEM UP THEN"), Suwako (ex-god empress that manipulates giant evil albino snakes and has a surprisingly mean streak under her cheerful personality? Only that hat tars her character) Raiko (she's just plain cool)... I can find things to like about pretty much all characters, really.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:45:16 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Ono

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 12:16:01 AM »
My personal favorite is Utsuho Reiuji.

I liked her ever since the game Subterranean Animism came out, she was a very interesting character and found it astonishing that her spellcards are based of nuclear fusion.  :V
Her theme was beast and couldn't stop listening to it ever since.

I don't really have any other favorites other than Momiji.

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 02:02:45 AM »
My favourite is Alice Margatroid because of a certain dream I had.

Unfortunatley I've forgotten my reasons for the rest of my favourites due to the internet being filtered and me losing access to the majority of touhou stuff I usually use - therefor I forgot exactly why I loved and hated the characters I felt the most strongly about. nonetheless, 2nd favourite is Yukari, 3rd favourite is Mima.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 10:35:19 AM »
Shinmyoumaru.

Most certainly my favourite character design in the whole Touhou Project series. She has one stunning theme song, too. I still secretly consider purchasing a large bowl just to wear on my head.

jester147

• Touhou, Rhythm Game, JRPG fan
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 06:29:52 PM »
1. Yuyuko Saigyouji
First time encountering her in PCB makes me dazzled by the beautiful butterfly danmaku, also the beautiful theme. She's pretty and ditzy, but secretly deceptive.

2. Alice Margatroid
Cute tsundere that is actually very nice.

3. Fujiwara no Mokou
An immortal with a tragic past. Is hot-blooded but not sociable. Her theme is very good.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 02:49:57 AM »
i love a lot of characters but patchouli is my favourite! idk why. shes just so cool and was also one of the first characters i knew. i think the moon thingy in her hair made me like her for some reason?
i also like flandre. i wish she would appear in more games though.
also marisa, shes awesome and i love her personality.

other characters i love are rumia, yukari, mima, koishi and elly.
honestly i like the whole cast basically

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 12:05:40 PM »
I have three on mind that stand out to me more than the rest, so in no particular order:

Mokou: With a calm personality and pyromancy, Mokou strikes me as that cool, strong but isolated person. Due to her immortality, she has great knowledge of the world and can have a philosophical approach to events or people that she sees and interacts with. Her backstory is rather tragic, but to me it also shows how humane she was in the past. I forgot where, but I read somewhere that she has mostly forgiven Kaguya for what she has done 1300 years later, but still bears the burden of her sins while she was still mortal. Her spell cards are based off her regret for killing Iwakasa, e.g "Curse of Tsuki-no-Iwakasa", "Honest Man's Death". Overall, she's a knowledgeable and powerful individual who mostly remains calm, and that's what I like about her.

Reimu: Like Mokou, powerful, mostly cool-headed, and carries some sort of burden, Reimu is another of my favourites. Possessing natural power and talent, it is her job to exterminate youkai, whether she likes it or not. To me, Reimu is one of those characters who honestly can't be bothered doing anything unless she really has to, but shows great expertise in doing her job. The way she fights with exorcism weapons is something you don't see pretty often, and is something that relies on high dexterity and skill to be able to throw such things instead of relying on sheer power (Marisa). Basically, she's a very skillful individual who remains calm and has to exterminate youkai and treat them along with humans equally as part of job. Calm people usually end up being my favourites, but the next on the list is the opposite of that.

Marisa: The other protagonist of the series, Marisa is a big contrast to the other two. Rather than being calm, she's all fired up and ready to explode some stuff with brute force. Her personality is what I like about her the most, the attitude of not giving a crap about anything and holding the mindset that the best way to progress is to attack everything in the way. She's not as powerful as Reimu, and she's an "ordinary magician", being fully human with no special abilities whatsoever. The thing about Marisa that really stood out from every other hot-headed character is her determination. In Gensokyo, where pretty much everything has special powers and the ability to overkill you ten times over, a normal human started learning magic and is now a pretty powerful person in the land. Marisa's relationship with Reimu is also pretty interesting, in that they are both humans and that they have almost the exact opposite personality of each other's.

These three stand out as my favourites right now, but there are a lot more characters that I like such as Alice, Yukari, Yuuka, Yuugi, SDM Cast and more that I probably shouldn't make a list of since there are enough walls of text already.

Rio

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 04:04:27 AM »
I have alot, so I'll list some of my top 3.

1. Momiji Inubashiri. She seems pretty interesting and loved that awesome sword of hers.
She wasn't too hard to beat, only in Double Spoiler some of her spellcards were difficult. I also love her fan-made theme Awaking Wolf's Instinct. She is too awesome to ignore. :getdown:

2. Nitori Kawashiro. I've always loved how she was shy in the events of Touhou 10. I found that cute.  :3
I also loved her theme Candid Friend, at that one part where it sounded powerful, like she was using all of her power.

3. Medicine Melancholy. Her past seemed sad. Even her theme says it all. It sounds like she was abandoned, though, she is hard to beat in Touhou 9 due to her poison clouds. I've always liked her and her theme, even if it's creepy or scary.   :V

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2015, 11:08:30 PM »
All of them It's pretty difficult to pick favourites, so I'll list three.

Yukari: She is possibly my most favourite out of the gals, cause I love everything about her. She's so mysterious and she's almost like the lazy president of Gensokyo. Plus I like the colour purple.

Kasen: I find her to have a really likeable personality, even though she's always lecturing Reimu. I also like how it's hard to discern her true motives for posing as a hermit. Also, she's finally playable!!

Luna Child: She's just so adorable. I can sort of relate to her because she can stay up all night and always drinks coffee. I like how she's much more intelligent than most fairies, in terms of book smarts, while also being so clumsy (which adds to her cuteness).

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 04:32:06 AM »
Okay...so my favorite character of all time would have to be:

Sakuya Izayoi - I love everything about her! Her look, personality, time manipulation! EVEN HER THEME WHICH IS MY FAVORITE OF THE SERIES (Flowering Night). In general anything that has to do with scarlet devil lore is awesome.

Number two is:

Flandre Scarlet - EVERYTHING GOES BOOM BOOM...no really. Apparently she can destroy everything she touches which is sweet. What I remember reading is that everything has an eye, and she can use this eye to shatter whatever it is the eye belongs to into millions of pieces (or just destroying it too). Something like that is really cool.

And third:

Remilia Scarlet - Flandre's sister...a vampire...awesome as all hell. I just love her personality of being so nonchalant (as seen in Imperishable Night) which is quite amusing. She's also really deadly :o.

Those are my favorite girls

Shin Rokuren

• - 秘剣 -
  • 「ツバメ六連」
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:20 AM »
Keine Kamishirasawa. The girl that started it all. She was the reason I got into Touhou in the first place, catching my attention in one vid. Despite learning more stories about the other characters, with some even more interesting, while Keine herself being plain compared to the rest, she still remains my number one mainly because of that moment.

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 01:31:44 PM »
Momiji. Any opinion to the contrary is just confused and uninformed. =) Her not being in any of the fighting games is a crime against humanity. ZUN needs to understand this. =)

In second place I'd put Byakuren. She's the spiritual stand-in for Shinki in the Windows era and is the one I find easiest to relate to (sides with both humans and youkai, has human-like failings, strives to better herself spiritually.....)

In third place, Nitori. Because go kappa engineer! I'd love to know even more about the way Touhou handles its kappa society. I sort of picture them like the Dragonlance 'gnome' race.....

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 09:58:45 PM »
Youmu, Nitori, Marisa, and Yuyuko.
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200