Author Topic: Does Zun hate Marisa?  (Read 50420 times)

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
Does Zun hate Marisa?
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:33:51 AM »
I haven't fooled around with 1-5 but from EoSD, Marisa A has been the one in my heart. Power, speed but the condition that you'd have to go sort of out of your way to use it. Not even Master Spark could take me away from those bloody explosive tree-things... The same thing on PCB, although by then Sakuya offered an interesting alternative. Down came IN and things weren't so bright any more. Marisa DID have her frozen-missile projectiles and continues dealing good damage (if you want to know how much, just go with her to solo Entombment (Eirin's last "normal" spell card) on Lunatic. She makes it feel like easy mode) but still, you had bloody Yukari dealing MORE damage than her. This was a sign of things to come. I won't talk about 9 because I'm a bloody purist so that for me it's not really touhou, just something close (in b4: awesome characters, Touhou3, blah blah). On 10 the signs of the disease showed up. We had 3 Marisa options: "High Power Type" "Piercing Type" and "Magic-User Type"... turns out Marisa B, good old laser mayhem is bugged to death and Marisa A, for something described like that does some REALLY low damage (so that when he finally gives her star projectiles, he makes them very un-Marisa like)... 11 came about and again the spotlight went to straight Reimu, suddenly Reimu doesn't do homing amulets any more and has stolen (WTF?!?!) Marisa's high power play style... At least in that case we had Marisa A and Marisa B being really good options but Marisa C really needed some buffing.

Now UFO looms over us and we have... we have  THIS:
http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/File:UFOMarisa.PNG
I mean... A person CAN'T think that's okay... it HAS to be deliberate trolling.

So my theory is that ZUN realised he really really loves Reimu, but, unfortunately, not many people give a shit because Marisa is so awesome. He's sad now because everyone loves Marisa and is trying his BEST to kill her with fire so that people will go back to Reimu.

So I ask you you fellow Marisa lovers: Am I right?"
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:16:29 PM by VileLasagna »
rofl bye

Letty Whiterock

Re: Does Zun hate Marisa?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:46:19 AM »
ZUN has to hate Marisa. That's why she's the goddamn icon for nearly every Touhou game, including Shoot the Bullet, which wasn't even about her.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:48:05 AM »
Marisa's fashion sense is far above that of us mortals. Don't question the M Smock.

Anyway suggesting that ZUN hates Marisa would be silly when he makes her the icon for every Touhou game. Even ones she's not in, like Shoot the Bullet.

I would say Marisa has been worse than Reimu because Marisa is typically the character that gets the most unconventional shot types, while the more straightforward types tend to be more reliable. Also, Reimu is a cheater. ZUN needs to reflect this in game somehow!

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:20:30 AM »
Marisa's fashion sense is far above that of us mortals. Don't question the M Smock.

"Marisa what the hell is up with your clothes?"
"I dunno... Alice did it..."

(Also: Sorry but I WILL question it. It's fucking ugly)

Anyway suggesting that ZUN hates Marisa would be silly when he makes her the icon for every Touhou game. Even ones she's not in, like Shoot the Bullet.
Hmm, maybe. But I think that's just become tradition now. Also, IaMP's icon is Suika's Gourd and SWR is Tenshi's rock-thingy so, ALMOST every touhou game.

I would say Marisa has been worse than Reimu because Marisa is typically the character that gets the most unconventional shot types, while the more straightforward types tend to be more reliable.

Yeah, I've noticed that and MarisaC(10) and MarisaB(11) have been quite effective as well as fun. It's just that where I come from, Marisa deals the most damage. And seeing her with so many weak shots makes me sad. (i.e: Yey! Bring on the weird stuff but GIVE me my rockets!).

Also, Reimu is a cheater. ZUN needs to reflect this in game somehow!

He did that already. The whole of IN is a testament to that. On Border team Reimu's bomb can deal more damage than Master Spark, Yukari's shot deals more damage than Marisa's and they have like half a second for their deathbomb to come out... It's like you're playing one difficulty less, when compared to the other teams.

rofl bye

Herasy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 01:08:59 PM »
Now UFO looms over us and we have... we have  THIS:http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/File:UFOMarisa.PNG
I mean... A person CAN'T think that's okay... it HAS to be deliberate trolling.

If you take a look at nearly every single thing that every single character wears, do you think any normal person would say that it's "okay"?
I mean, when I first saw Yukari in PCB I thought that she looked absolutely bizzare, hell I wasn't even sure that was a PERSON. But I got over it and now she would have to be one of my favorite characters just because she dresses so strangely (And because her most favorite thing to do is screw around with EVERYONE/Sleep alot)

I personally think you are looking far too much into this.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 01:32:10 PM »
So my theory is that ZUN realised he really really loves Reimu, but, unfortunately, not many people give a shit because Marisa is so awesome. He's sad now because everyone loves Marisa and is trying his BEST to kill her with fire so that people will go back to Reimu.

So I ask you you fellow Marisa lovers: Ams I right?"

No. If he really didn't like Marisa - or hated her - he would just ... stop putting her in games. Lord knows he's done it before. Ask any of the PC-98 fanboys.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Letty Whiterock

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 01:36:23 PM »
No. If he really didn't like Marisa - or hated her - he would just ... stop putting her in games. Lord knows he's done it before. Ask any of the PC-98 fanboys.
Isn't it sad, Alice?

Quintafeira12

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 01:38:22 PM »
Fail Logic: Zun made Marisa wear clothes I don't like and attack patterns I don't like, therefore, ZUN hates Marisa.

slightly more correct thinking: Zun made Marisa wear clothes I don't like and attack patterns I don't like, therefore, I now hate Marisa. But afraid of admiting my dislike to what my favorite character became, I will make a thread assigning that hate to someone else and acomplish a Freudian Slip.

PS: I like marisa's clothing.

Tengukami

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 01:39:06 PM »
Isn't it sad, Alice?

Alice is one lucky individual, that's for sure.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Gpop

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 01:42:18 PM »
I always played as Reimu (until UFO came around where I play as Sanae now).

But Marisa's "M" is kickass. That's not something to complain about.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »
Eh, if ZUN loves Reimu, then where does that leave Aya?

Also, "The ability to fly in the sky" vs. "High level magic".

Also, epic M is epic. I do suspect that it's a gift from either Alice or Patchu because there's no way Marisa would have taken time off from armed robbery magic practice to make that thing.

And finally? LAZORS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ALL, regardless of in game damage. They're just cooler.

Benny1

• Die The Death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is The Death!
  • Dlanor of the Ten Wedges
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 01:53:19 PM »
Yeah I love Marisa's new outfit from UFO and I know I'm not alone in this.

Sanae needs better art though.  Seriously.

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 02:55:04 PM »
Fail Logic: Zun made Marisa wear clothes I don't like and attack patterns I don't like, therefore, ZUN hates Marisa.

slightly more correct thinking: Zun made Marisa wear clothes I don't like and attack patterns I don't like, therefore, I now hate Marisa.

Nah, I still like her, It's just that I hate the M. All of her new clothing just looks.. I dunno, "too weird" sounds like not really adequate. And I DO like her patterns, I just miss the damage. She's bloody MARISA, she has to deal more damage than everyone else.

But afraid of admiting my dislike to what my favorite character became, I will make a thread assigning that hate to someone else and acomplish a Freudian Slip.

Almost. it's more like "I'm bored and enraged. Let's get a thread started and see what other people think about it"

And finally? LAZORS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ALL, regardless of in game damage. They're just cooler.

I like them too, thus I was very very sad when ZUN broke the lazors on MoF and simply didn't bother with them on SA
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:59:43 PM by VileLasagna »
rofl bye

Demonlord Pichu

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »
I'll say this right now; I don't like Marisa. I find her rather annoying.

However, I will admit that I like her attire and the Master Spark (even though the latter was stolen). Meh, if ZUN hated her he'd nix hr from anymore appearances like he did PC-98 (excluding Alice and Yuuka, although the latter has yet to appear again beyond PoFV).

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 05:08:22 PM »
I agree only that ZUN really needs to actually start respecting Marisa gameplay-wise again. Marisa is supposed to be the power type, and her slightly bigger hitbox was supposed to compensate for this. Since IN though, Reimu (or Yukari as it were) was given a reliable power type, Marisa/Alice are fairly weak, and their hitbox is like DOUBLE Reimu's. In LLS, EoSD and PCB Marisa was awesome, but ever since IN it's like ZUN really does want you to just use Reimu instead.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Maid Xan~

• Oh. Uh... Hey... Hey there, Koto.
  • What... what are you smiling like that for, Koto?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 06:59:45 PM »
Marisa picks up all the chicks. ZUN clearly loves her. I mean, the Alice one is almost CONFIRMED by ZUN. Flandre may have a thing for her. Patchouli may also have a thing for her. So Yeah.
There are people in this world who enjoy being alone. But there isn't a single person who can bear solitude.

AntKiller

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 10:17:29 PM »
I gotta totally agree with VileLasagna, not because he is my brother irl, but because everything that Zun have been doing lately freaks me out...
Also, it was quite nice that he put her with wand again... but...!!! Her wand on TH04 was cool, but everyone got used to see her without one nowadays, I even think it looks better.
About the M... No comments..

Marisa picks up all the chicks. ZUN clearly loves her. I mean, the Alice one is almost CONFIRMED by ZUN. Flandre may have a thing for her. Patchouli may also have a thing for her. So Yeah.

Xan, just because doujin works love yuuri, doesnt mean that can be quite true.. I do love Marisa and Marisa is TOTALLY my fav playable char ever, except for Mima on TH03 and TH05, but I dont think she just goes there charming everyone she meets.
I mean, yesterday I saw Cirno x Aya... What the hell is with you guys? Can you guys make a better story instead of choosing random couples? >.>'
thats my 2cents.

BTW! It TOTALLY looks like this to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQOxIVFGudU

2nd edit: added the vid
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 11:49:21 PM by AntKiller »

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 02:40:16 AM »
What the hell is with you guys? Can you guys make a better story instead of choosing random couples? >.>'
I know, right? I mean ... my "Shinki/Daiyousei" was suggested in jest, and it succeeded insofar as I made Xan's head explode. But ... Yuka/Youmu? Chen/Siki?

That said, I'd like to hear more about this "Alice/Marisa almost confirmed by ZUN" |3

Easy Mode

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 02:43:11 AM »
I know, right? I mean ... my "Shinki/Daiyousei" was suggested in jest, and it succeeded insofar as I made Xan's head explode. But ... Yuka/Youmu? Chen/Siki?

That said, I'd like to hear more about this "Alice/Marisa almost confirmed by ZUN" |3
Seconded.
Also... Yuka and Youmu make very cute babies.

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 02:47:35 AM »
If anyone points to 'smaller hitbox' as a sign that Reimu is more loved than Marisa, remember that Reimu is the only one in all of Touhou with a 4 pixel hitbox while EVERY SINGLE OTHER PLAYABLE CHARACTER is at 5 pixels, not just Marisa.

Tengukami

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2009, 03:23:57 AM »
And what a difference that pixel makes.

I don't know, though, I kind of like Marisa A in UFO.

MSN-02 Zeong

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 05:56:29 AM »
Quote from: VileLasagna
Does Zun hate Marisa?

I really don't know about this, especially after seeing MarisaB stay unfixed for so long...  :-\

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 06:11:47 AM »
More like ZUN likes Marisa but doesn't believe that she's strong

AntKiller

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 10:16:45 AM »

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 12:06:26 PM »
Wait wait, what?  Reimu secretly lives in the real world, masquerading as an alcoholic Japanese game programmer? =O  No wai!

And yeah, Chen/Siki is just wrong. =<

[P.S.: I don't play Marisa enough to really give an educated opinion on her "nerfing" by ZUN, else I'd say more on-topic.  orz]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:10:02 PM by Arekku »

Quintafeira12

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »
Wait wait, what?  Reimu secretly lives in the real world, masquerading as an alcoholic Japanese game programmer? =O  No wai!

Maybe you're just thinking backwards? But given that possibility, Reimu actually being an alcoholic Japanese game programmer that secretly lives in a imaginary eastern world, masquerading as a shrine maiden, is pretty much as unlikely as the original idea. And also that would mean Reimu's male, which is a problem to many fans' sexual fantasies...

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 04:07:04 PM »
And also that would mean Reimu's male, which is a problem to many fans' sexual fantasies...

Armpits are unisex
rofl bye

Alice

• 英雄不怕太陽高
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 12:53:11 AM »
Marisa's "M" is symbol of player 1 like in SMB. This means Reimu's spotlight has stolen by Marisa. Plus, Marisa in UFO looks like country chick, this new style of fashion is a proof that ZUN care of her old school witch appearance.

Adun

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 09:56:55 AM »
ZUN loves Marisa for as long as MoF's MarisaB(ugged) remains unpatched.

Kanako Yasaka

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 03:44:22 PM »
He just likes giving her unconventional shot types, that's all. If he hated Marisa would she have Master Spark and be in every touhou game but two?