Author Topic: Very First Touhou Game  (Read 15179 times)

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
Re: Very First Touhou Game
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2014, 01:38:39 AM »
If we count fangames: Super Marisa World.

If not, then PCB. I remember laughing like a maniac and going crazy when I played it for the first time because that was my very first bullet-hell game, and I chose Lunatic as difficulty mode because I thought it'd be easy. I was like HOLY FUCK HOW THEY PLAY THIS CRAP HAHAHAHA WHAT IS THIS AAAAHHHhhhh

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 02:59:26 AM »
Mine was Subterranean Animism. I "fondly" remember being utterly destroyed by the third and fifth stages (and I still haven't made it past Orin to this day.)

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 10:24:23 AM »
Imperishable Night. Kefit's Youtube video introduced me to the games and it looked really interesting.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 10:39:33 AM »
Mine was TD because for whatever reason, playing the most recent game made sense to me.

The only things I remember were not being able to get to stage 4 without continues (though I started on normal) and I noticed Kogasa's heterochromia the first time I saw her but didn't notice the giant eggplant umbrella for quite a while (guess you could say it surprised me when I saw it). I also remember the first time I got to Miko. Had no lives/bombs left and I saw the ring of arrows shoot and slow down. I thought "I bet something bad will happen if I don't go inside it" so I went inside it. I don't think I need to explain what happened after that ;-;

Gamer251

• DJ FlanFlan
  • Too lazy to type long sentences.
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »
Mine was Highly Responsive to Prayer~
I dunno, I wanted to start from the very beginning.

"You ought to watch out, yourself. Even a high-school girl can make her own weapons these days, after all..."

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2014, 03:03:10 PM »
It was EoSD because of U.N. Owen.

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 03:52:59 PM »
EoSD
I was really scared too because I had (and still have) very little experience with the genre. I was actually really proud of myself for making it to Patchouli on my first try in normal (after using every continue of course).

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 04:10:34 PM »
The MoF demo was, at the time, the only demo I could get working. Even though it ran at 30 FPS and I didn't know what a focus key was, I was blown away by the heart and energy behind those three stages. That was over six years ago, and I'm still hooked as I ever was.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 06:26:21 PM »
EoSD was my first. I don't remember what was it like the first time I played it but darn, it was HARD. And still is, seeing how Normal Mode 1cc is way out of my reach ._.
Still, it remains one of my favourites, mainly due to the fact that it featured Cirno and Sakuya, easily my most beloved characters :D

Teh Kookaburra

• Kook
  • I like dem burds
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 07:01:49 PM »
Started with EoSD.
The first one I actually beat was flower view.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 09:31:07 PM »
EoSD. Figured to start from the start of the Windows Era.

Still ain't beaten EoSD cause I'm bad.

First 1CC was IN [Magic team followed by Scarlet Team shortly after]; then TD; then MoF. Not 1CC'ed any other game so far, including DDC which most people say is EZModo. [I can't beat Sukana; I swear she's harder than most of the Stage 6 bosses from other games and is a huge difficulty spike. I struggle a bit on Stage 3 too; although I find Stage 4 easy.]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:32:51 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 11:45:55 PM »
I got introduced to Touhou with  a fan game Touhou Wandering Souls, i liked what i saw so i decided to go to the main ones and now i am a full fledged Touhou fan, my first official was EOSD, the first i ever 1CC was IN
1CC Easy: UFO , MOF, PCB, DDC, GFW, POFV, TD, IN, SA, 1CC Normal: MOF, DDC, IN, POFV, PCB, TD, EOSD, HSIFS
Extra Mode: Ran Yakumo, Okina Matara

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 02:39:29 AM »
On the subject of first 1cc's - that would be IN, a fortunate game to clear on Easy Mode. That ending is what really hooked me as far as gameplay goes.

1cc-ing MoF on Easy prompted me to then switch to Normal if I wanted to get similar experiences in the future. That led to 1cc-ing IN, MoF and DDC on Normal - my only Normal 1cc's to date. Have also 1cc'd these games on Easy, as well as UFO.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:42:10 PM by Tengukami »

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 01:53:34 PM »
EoSD was my first, because for whatever reason I insisted on going in chronological order. I don't recommend this.

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »
EoSD was my first, because for whatever reason I insisted on going in chronological order. I don't recommend this.
On the other hand, if you're playing Touhou for the gameplay, I highly recommend going in chronological order.
1. It's extremely beneficial to get a handle of EoSD's quirks early on, such as the non-visible character hitboxes (which are technically visible but really small), the weird bullet hitboxes (knives, medium bullets, bubble bullets, etc), and the crazy angled bullets.
2. The appearance of bosses as playable characters is better appreciated when playing in order.
3. IN stage 4 is scary and mind-blowing the first time around when you've played the previous games first.

My first 1CC was EoSD Easy on June 16, 2012, followed by a 5-life PCB Normal 1CC on June 24, 2012 (SakuyaA OP), and finally a 3-life EoSD Normal 1CC on July 12, 2012.
Interestingly, the EoSD Normal 1CC was originally planned to be a 5-life 1CC, but I kept failing. I then switched the lives to 3 and somehow pulled off the 1CC. I've stuck with 3-life 1CCs ever since.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 03:02:44 PM by shockdude »
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
Interestingly, the EoSD Normal 1CC was originally planned to be a 5-life 1CC, but I kept failing. I then switched the lives to 3 and somehow pulled off the 1CC. I've stuck with 3-life 1CCs ever since.

That mystery is simple to answer. In EoSD, you get lives by reaching score thresholds, but starting with more lives gives you a huge score penalty. So by the end of the game, you have less lives than you would normally, since your score is being kept at 1/20 of what it should be. Of course, EoSD is the only windows game this applies to, and ZUN got rid of that feature after IN anyway.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2014, 09:19:01 PM »
EoSD is the only windows game this applies to
PC-98 has this too (LLS and MS AFAIK)
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Yookie

• Blue flower
  • Green
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2014, 10:21:01 PM »
PC-98 has this too (LLS and MS AFAIK)

All PC-98 games except for PoDD have adjustable lives in combination with giving out extends at certain score intervals. (Took me quite a while to realize why bombing the stages in HrtP sometimes gives you 2 or more extends and even longer to realize the usefulness of item-chains.)

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2014, 11:48:39 PM »
That mystery is simple to answer. In EoSD, you get lives by reaching score thresholds, but starting with more lives gives you a huge score penalty. So by the end of the game, you have less lives than you would normally, since your score is being kept at 1/20 of what it should be. Of course, EoSD is the only windows game this applies to, and ZUN got rid of that feature after IN anyway.
Huh, never made the connection between the player penalty and the accumulation of lives. I might later do an experiment to determine just how much extends are affected by the player penalty.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2014, 11:06:24 AM »
Highly Responsive to Prayers, and it was as much of a disaster as you would expect.

« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2014, 09:28:38 PM »
Mine was SWR, and coincidentally it was my first 2D fighter that I took relatively seriously. The days of spamming Dial-A 6A with Aya are still fresh in my mind. It was also the first time I learned the typical command inputs for fighters (QCF/DP), and it was with a keyboard; so I pretty much have trouble playing any normal console fighter we see nowadays.  :V

However, my actual first ZUN game was SA, probably because it was the newest one at the time. I thought it was ridiculously hard cause I had to use my first continue on Yamame, even on easy, but it was probably attributed to the fact that I didn't know Focusing existed. Even after I learned how to Focus I still had to use up all my continues and I still ultimately got melted by Okuu in the end (still on easy). I don't know where and when I started playing on Normal and naturally 1cc-ing games, but it happened and now I'm your typical bullet hell gamer.

After awhile I think my first doujin game was Mystical Chain, and it was pretty damn amazing.

Man, it's been 6 years since I started Touhou. It's a little surprising I'm still hooked.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:35:53 PM by Lanaryu »

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
EoSD. I tried when I first encountered Cirno and listened to Perfect Math Class.

I still remember grinning stupidly as I listen to Beloved Tomboyish Daughter right when Cirno fired her Icicle Fall. Needless to say, I've still yet to 1CC a Touhou game on Normal.

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2014, 07:16:43 PM »
Didn't remember how I stumbled upon the game or when, but my first one is HRtP, though didn't finish it due to YugenMagan being a complete pain to beat. Later found out about Touhou itself from a friend (was thinking that Touhou was just a one-shot widget indie title back then), and decided to try from SoEW.

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »
PCB.

That game was a first for me in every way.

First Touhou game, First 1cc Easy, Normal, Lunatic (I skip hard in all games, except maybe in UFO because its just that insane), Extra and Phantasm clear.

First touhou game to get more than 100+ hours of gameplay (For comparation, the follower up is IN with barely 35 hours, the rest are 20ish).

First touhou game to have perfected Lunatic stages 1,2 and 3 (And I would have 4 if it wasnt for a stupid bug).

In the future I also plan it to be my first 1 lc Lunatic as well.

I am happy with it. I would have started with EoSD BUT the whole "No visible hitbox" thing got me.

UnendingEmpire

• Jack of all trades
  • Cultured Tastes Since 1994
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2014, 01:40:23 AM »
EoSD was my first for pretty much everything Touhou-related.  First theme (U.N. Owen), first character (Flan), first play, first 1cc, first (and only) fight against an extra boss, etc.

Yatakarasu

• Always failing, sometimes winning!
  • Fail mode activate!
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2014, 05:34:32 AM »
I had watched quite a bit of touhou gameplay before actually playing a game, but the first game I actually tired out was SA because I fell in love with the look of the game compared to the others and I got destroyed by it. It took me about 6 hours to clear the game on easy using continues (but it is SA so take of that what you will). Still my favorite game of the series to this day.

Normal Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard Clears: PoFV, SA, TD, DDC
Extra Clears: PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Current touhou goal: Improve! ...1cc more Hard Modes

hourai

• reimu's gf
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2014, 12:34:39 AM »
imperishable night-- favourite game as well, i'm still in love with every boss character.

maiden's cappuccino

Shin Rokuren

• - 秘剣 -
  • 「ツバメ六連」
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2014, 06:36:03 AM »
Scarlet Weather Rhapsody for me. Mainly cause it was a fighting game and made by Tasofro, same guys who did Eternal Fighter Zero so I expected the same engine. EoSD was my first shooter.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2014, 09:08:43 PM »
EoSD, and I'm one of those people who happens to like EoSD. The Music's nice (Albeit the soundfont is a bit shitty), the scoring system isn't too gimmicky, and none of the characters are too forgettable.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2014, 10:47:32 PM »
IaMP if we count non-shmups, EoSD otherwise.  I was into Melty Blood Act Cadenza back in the day and found out about IaMP through the friends I played that with, appreciation for Patchouli led me to EoSD soon after.