Author Topic: Very First Touhou Game  (Read 15186 times)

Ono

Very First Touhou Game
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:25:08 PM »
What was your first Touhou game?

Mine was pretty much Double Dealing Character and I was so bad it and I still am.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
Re: Very First Touhou Game
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:24:53 AM »
If we include doujins, it would be Koumajou Densetsu. If not, then Hisoutensoku. If we exclude the official spinoffs too, then it would be EoSD.

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:02:36 AM »
Highly Responsive to Prayers.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 08:07:24 AM »
Overall would be EoSD.
Getting EasyBlocked by Sakuya for the first time was a great beginner moment
damn it Sakuya stop looking so smug

StainGlass

• Not the only one
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 08:09:57 AM »
My first game was Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, I chose it because I thought it would be easier than starting with the shooters. I had a lot of difficulty with it though.
My first shooter game was Phantasmagoria of Flower View, which is still not quite ZUN's classic shooter games. I can't remember which of those I played next,  Embodiment of Scarlet Devil I think.

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 08:56:40 AM »
EoSD for me too. The first time i got an "Ice shotgun" in the face from Cirno was the very moment i understood that Touhou was going to be HARD.  :V

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:26:46 AM »
Mountain of Faith, which had just come out when I first explored what Touhou was after seeing people make crossovers and references to it over on Desuchan.

First impressions: Thought the backgrounds were pretty and the music really good, but when those character portraits came up I was like "Well this is interesting." It was when I got to Stage 4 that I was hooked, and started reading up on canon (a process that still continues).

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 10:36:35 AM »
The PCB demo. I played the demos of EoSD, PCB, and IN before I got any of the full games. PCB stage 4 was quite an eye opener after "mastering" up to stage 3 of three different games.

iPetalchaser

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »
Perfect Cherry Blossom was my first too.
Apparently, quite a few people seem to have this one as their first. I just chose it because out of the collection from EoSD to SA as i felt it had the most 'poetic' title. :v

The one thing that really stayed with me was "Diao Ye Zong (Withered Leaf)". Only while dodging that one Cat Dandruff Spellcard ("Immortal Sage's Rumbling") with this theme playing did i realise how exhilarating this game could be...

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 10:45:15 AM »
Without knowing anything about touhou except that it had tons of characters, I decided to play Shoot the Bullet and Double Spoiler as a way to get to know the cast. It did not go well.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 11:54:19 AM »
First one I played was Imperishable Night, although Perfect Cherry Blossom is the only one I've 1cc'd at any difficulty higher than easy.

Badass bookworms

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 02:02:05 PM »
Imperishable Night, I blame the music from 4b and Marisa getting me addicted while dodging colour, breathtaking and thrilling patterns.

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 02:42:08 PM »
Perfect Cherry Blossom for me. I at least wanted to be at the skill level necessary to meet the requirements to unlock phantasm.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »
EoSD. Gotta start from the beginning
Spoiler:
on Windows
, ya know? Didn't realize how deep the rabbit hole went until about two weeks later.
That first encounter with Sakuya is one of my most memorable gaming moments.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »
Subterranean Animism. While UFO and Hisoutensoku were also out at the time, it was a video of SA that first got me interested. Especially Stage 6's awesome music. :V
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 04:55:50 PM »
EoSD. That first stage theme still has a nostalgic ring to me. ♪Ta-tatata-taa-taa-taa, ta-tatata-taa-taa-taa...♪

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
Pretty sure it was EoSD, may have been IN. My first definite memory of playing a Touhou game was definitely of EoSD. I was playing it on my laptop on a bus. And I certainly lost before the end of stage one on easy. :derp:
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 07:35:37 PM »
Imperishable Night.  My friend who got me into Touhou was obsessing over Mokou a lot at the time, and then the IN LP was featured on the archive so I took the moment to give it a look over.  And then decided I had to play it.  Yeah, I'm horrible at danmaku but I love it just the same.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. A friend showed me the game, though I was not impressed by it. Some time later he showed me Mountain of Faith, which I liked. At that point I started liking Touhou Project.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »
EoSD.

I was driven away from the PC-98 games at first.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 08:37:57 PM »
I got interested in Touhou after seeing a few screenshots. I probably would have never gotten into it if I was introduced to the series through the fandom stuff.
I started with the PCB trial. I tried normal first, it was way too easy, so I picked lunatic and that was very easy too.  Then I got the full version and realized the slowmode option probably had nothing to do with the "slow" button. Oh. I got the rest of the series shortly after. Having little bullet hell experience, it took a few months for me to get my first lunatic 1cc.

At first I didn't like music that much, then a few hours later I caught myself saying "well, the compositions are good, this guy just needs an arranger". These days I listen to ZUN's music almost exclusively and I own every synth he's known to have used since 2002. How have things changed. I laugh a little every time I think about it.

It's been like 5 years now. I don't think I could stop being a Touhou fan even if I tried.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:19:15 PM by Not Bigode »

BB

• Typewriter Youkai
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 01:45:51 AM »
Perfect Cherry Blossom! I was looking for games to feature on my youtube channel and I found a website all about STGs, and they were particularly ecstatic about this one so I grabbed it. I was pretty proud of myself for clearing all three stages with only 2 continues!

And then I looked it up on youtube and discovered I'd only downloaded a demo and there was in a fact a whole series of full games to play, and then I found Phantasm and the trapdoor went under me and I plunged into Ridiculous Fan Hell. <3 Yukari.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:58:57 AM by BB »
Touhou fan since 2008.

Faves quicklist:
Yukari - Byakuren - Lily White - PCB - UFO - Necrofantasia - Cosmic Mind - Shining Needle - not into the fighters - not into score play - enjoy storytelling and theorycraft

Sahgren

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 02:02:01 AM »
EoSD for me. I saw someone playing it at a LAN party and gave it a try when he was letting others give it a shot so we could all laugh at how much we all failed at it.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 03:19:41 AM »
When I first got into touhou I tried to go with HRtP but had no idea how to work the emulator so I just ended up buying EoSD and was hooked by how much the game sent me into shock, the shakes!!!!

First doujin game I believe was either the LoT1 demo or Touhou Diablo.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

LunaWillow

• >Everyone: Pose as a team
  • The world is real.
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 05:38:06 AM »
My first game was EoSD, but it was too hard for me, so I haven't play it much and went to IN.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS
Hard 1cc: PoFV
Extra Clear: PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF
Other Stuff: ISC all clear

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 05:39:44 AM »
My first Touhou game was Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. Then I moved to TH 12 then discovered doujin everywhere I can't stop the addiction.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Hatateru

• Hatatatatatatatatatatatatata
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 08:35:31 AM »
My first one was Immaterial and Missing Power, but my first shooter was Double Spoiler and man was that a bad idea
And then a sacked Sakuya told everyone that Flandre was one of her ex-bosses

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 04:26:52 PM »
My first game was Imperishable Night.  I got kicked in the head.

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 08:22:48 PM »
Mine was Imperishable Night which is not good for my later Touhou career because it conditioned me with long time reaction for bombs.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 01:14:45 AM »
Mine was Imperishable Night which is not good for my later Touhou career because it conditioned me with long time reaction for bombs.

I know what you mean, going from IN to PCB and try and deathbomb... Nope.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~